Is there any chance of them rebooting Spider-man again?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

The original trilogy was awesome. There was no need to reboot it after Spider-man 3. I loved 3, but there's a lot of hate for it for some reason. Instead of just looking at the mistakes they made in 3 and fixing them in 4, they decided to reboot it. Fine. But when you have something as good as the original three, and reboot it with that complete sh*t called The Amazing Spider-man, why can't we just pretend it never happened? Superman, Batman, and Hulk hit rock bottom for their movies and they got rebooted. Well, Spider-man has now hit rock bottom. Is there any chance this will be rebooted?

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not, unless marvel buys the rights.

#3 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

Probably not, unless marvel buys the rights.

Which I don't want to happen surprisingly. I don't want Spidey in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I love the character, but can't we have him and the X-men in their own universe?

#4 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

There wasn't anything wrong with ASM. It was certainly a major improvement on that god awful third film.

#5 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: that can really be the only way. Sony has the rights and it seems that the only long term goals they have is to continue keeping the rights. If you don't want it to be crappy, in my personal opinion, give the rights back. You can have a reboot and if written correctly, can keep spiderman on his own.

But that is just me.

#6 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

There wasn't anything wrong with ASM. It was certainly a major improvement on that god awful third film.

Other than the bad script and horrible casting, I guess it was fine.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (24041 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion 

Amazing Spider-Man > The Raimi Trilogy

#8 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: It wasn't flawless by any means, but at least it didn't have Peter as a jazz loving emo. It also handled Venom, my favorite villain, horribly.

Whether the casting choices were bad is just personal preference I guess. I though Garfield done a good job as Parker.

#9 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero said:

@TheCannon: It wasn't flawless by any means, but at least it didn't have Peter as a jazz loving emo. It also handled Venom, my favorite villain, horribly.

Whether the casting choices were bad is just personal preference I guess. I though Garfield done a good job as Parker.

No, instead it had Peter as a teenager going around everywhere with a skateboard.

And the casting was just terrible other than Gwen. Martin Sheen and Sally Field were a horrible Uncle Ben and Aunt May, and Dennis Leary was a horrific George Stacy. At that point Curt Connors didn't even matter since we were overwhelmed by the other bad casting. And Andrew did a decent job for the role, though that role WAS NOT Peter Parker.

#10 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Having Peter as a skater type rather then a nerdy bookworm was an unusual direction to go in, I admit.

And I also felt Uncle Ben's death seemed rushed, tacked on because it had to be in the movie.

#11 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero: I have no problem with Uncle Ben's death being kind of rushed, since it does have to be in a Spider-man movie where the origin is completely retold. But that doesn't mean they can't have good casting for Uncle Ben.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (24041 posts) - - Show Bio
@Razero:  

@TheCannon : Having Peter as a skater type rather then a nerdy bookworm was an unusual direction to go in, I admit.

That's one criticism everyone makes about ASM that I don't get. In the comics, Peter is a nerd yes, but more importantly, he's a social outcast, he's picked on or ignored in school, and ASM captured that. The thing you have to get is, what is "uncool" changes with the time, bookworm nerds who do nothing but homework and calculus don't really exist in high schools anymore, at least, not the ones i went to, and I've been to three since I move a lot. However I DO see skateboarders who wear skinny jeans and listen to alternative music all the time. They may be "hipsters' but they are by no means actually popular, and that's what Peter was in the film. I'll say it right now, I liked Skateboarder Peter much more than nerdy, "Randomly blurting out facts about spiders" Peter we saw in Raimi's films.
#13 Posted by danhimself (22498 posts) - - Show Bio

I really do think that people look at the Raimi trilogy with rose colored glasses....the only good casting choices were Aunt May and Jameson...the rest of the cast was horrible....Spider-man was horribly written in the trilogy with not one single wise crack....the Green Goblin was a reject from the Power Rangers and horribly overacted by Dafoe....MJ was just a plain bad casting choice...the second movie was ok but not nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be and the third was just bad

while Amazing Spider-man was by no means a perfect movie it was definitely a better portrayal of Spider-man than the Raimi trilogy and I feel like it could only get better with time

#14 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man 1 was pretty good. Spider-Man 2 was amazing. Probably the best superhero flick up until that point. Spider-Man 3 was wrong in so many different ways (making Sandman Uncle Ben's killer, all the singing, the very forced inclusion of Venom, etc).

Amazing Spider-Man had one good thing going for it: Emma Stone. I think she was miles ahead of the typical "girlfriend" characters that we usually see in comic book movies. Other than that though, it was very unoriginal and borrowed a ton from previous Spider-Man and Batman movies. Andrew Garfield was way too emo and it bothered me that he wouldn't keep the damn mask on his face. I agree that the reboot was way too soon. Spider-Man 4 would have made more sense.

#15 Posted by The Stegman (24041 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:  

I really do think that people look at the Raimi trilogy with rose colored glasses....the only good casting choices were Aunt May and Jameson...the rest of the cast was horrible....Spider-man was horribly written in the trilogy with not one single wise crack....the Green Goblin was a reject from the Power Rangers and horribly overacted by Dafoe....MJ was just a plain bad casting choice...the second movie was ok but not nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be and the third was just bad

while Amazing Spider-man was by no means a perfect movie it was definitely a better portrayal of Spider-man than the Raimi trilogy and I feel like it could only get better with time 

Couldn't agree more, the "Oh no, you've found my weakness, it's small knives!'' crack in ASM was funnier than anything Tobey said in any of the Raimi movies, I cringed at his wise cracks, "That's a nice outfit, did your mommy make it for you?" come on man.
#16 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Razero:

@TheCannon : Having Peter as a skater type rather then a nerdy bookworm was an unusual direction to go in, I admit.

That's one criticism everyone makes about ASM that I don't get. In the comics, Peter is a nerd yes, but more importantly, he's a social outcast, he's picked on or ignored in school, and ASM captured that. The thing you have to get is, what is "uncool" changes with the time, bookworm nerds who do nothing but homework and calculus don't really exist in high schools anymore, at least, not the ones i went to, and I've been to three since I move a lot. However I DO see skateboarders who wear skinny jeans and listen to alternative music all the time. They may be "hipsters' but they are by no means actually popular, and that's what Peter was in the film. I'll say it right now, I liked Skateboarder Peter much more than nerdy, "Randomly blurting out facts about spiders" Peter we saw in Raimi's films.

I don't have a problem with it, I actually preferred Peter that way,like you said he was more believable, I just think it was unusual.

#17 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker: With the exception of the Spider-man 3 hate, I agree with everything you said.

#18 Posted by YoungJustice (6800 posts) - - Show Bio

No, they are already planning a trilogy for this one. Spider Man 3 was a horrible movie, by the way.

#19 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say, I liked Andrew's Parker more than Tobey's. Andrew had the confidence that Tobey's lacked. Tobey pulled off a really nerdy, geeky, dude, but Parker's not just that guy. While he was really nerdy early on, soon as he got his powers, he got a huge confidence boost (naturally). Andrew had that. And his Spidey was much better. Constantly making jokes while fighting the Lizard, actually attacking him like a spider when fighting as a man didn't work. Tobey's wisecracks fell flat, Andrew actually delivered them decently.

Now all that said, I disliked the Amazing Spider-Man movie. I thought Spidey's scenes in that film were awesome, simply because Spidey's awesome, but everything else fell too far away from the comic for me to like.

I'd like a reboot, but the only way that's happening is if Marvel gets the rights back. Which I wholeheartedly approve of.

Either way, I want it put years after the origin (in the case of a continuation of Amazing, jump forward in time), when Spidey's older, knows exactly what he can do, and knows how to do it. That way we can finally see the exact level of his abilities on screen, like dodging bullets with ease and tossing around cars. Tobey's Spidey was good, but just didn't show it to the level I think Spidey in the comics has. Also, jumping it forward or making a reboot (skip the origin to show an older Spidey) would allow them to put on my Spidey/Peter of choice. Again, Garfield was good, but this guy's already proven to be a great Peter and Spidey. Behold, Josh Keaton.

In case you're unfamiliar with his work as Spidey:

#20 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Its hollywood- they will reboot the reboot, which they will them remake and then reboot the remake.

#21 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

All of my complaints are basically summed up here:

#22 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

Its hollywood- they will reboot the reboot, which they will them remake and then reboot the remake.

I'm talking about soon.

#23 Posted by SoA (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

spidey fans finally get a good movie and they trash it , this is why your cartoons don't last long

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4774 posts) - - Show Bio
How many Reboots has Batman had? (+)
#25 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

spidey fans finally get a good movie and they trash it , this is why your cartoons don't last long

What are you talking about good movie? We got three good ones from 2002-2004. They reboot it for no reason and we get that crapfest.

@Yung ANcient One said:

How many Reboots has Batman had? (+)

Depends. Technically, the 89 movie was a reboot of the 1966 film based on the TV series. But most people count the 89 movie as the first bat-film. It was rebooted in 05, and it will be rebooted in the next few years.

So either 2 or 3.

#26 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: How can you say Martin Sheen was terrible casting as Uncle Ben?

#27 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

@TheCannon: How can you say Martin Sheen was terrible casting as Uncle Ben?

Because he sucked as Uncle Ben.

#28 Posted by nickzambuto (13432 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM > Raimi. Reboot not needed.

#29 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

The original trilogy was awesome. There was no need to reboot it after Spider-man 3. I loved 3, but there's a lot of hate for it for some reason. Instead of just looking at the mistakes they made in 3 and fixing them in 4, they decided to reboot it. Fine. But when you have something as good as the original three, and reboot it with that complete sh*t called The Amazing Spider-man, why can't we just pretend it never happened? Superman, Batman, and Hulk hit rock bottom for their movies and they got rebooted. Well, Spider-man has now hit rock bottom. Is there any chance this will be rebooted?

I think a lot of fans thought ASM was markedly better than spider-man 3. The Dance scene alone in 3 was so awful, I can't think of anything that would be even remotely as bad as that scene. That said, it's all about personal opinions. I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than Tobey, I like the love story in ASM better, the banter is WAY better, and I like that they're spending more time in high school. But, the stuff with Peter's powers coming out in public (breaking the back board, bending the uprights on the football field by tossing the ball, etc. is too over the top). I love two-thirds of the original trilogy and I like parts (albeit, very few parts) of the 3rd movie. The end of 3 seems to me like a decent place to leave that chapter of spider-man, and ASM was successful enough that the company is going to continue with it, so there is really no point to rebooting it. That said, I'm sure at some point in the future the franchise will be rebooted again and we'll all have another set of movies to nit-pick about.

#30 Posted by VeganDiet (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man 2>> The Amazing Spider-man> Spider-man 1=Spider-man 3. (I liked Spider-man 3 as well. The Dancing "Emo" Parker scenes were intentionally cheesy as hell. Don't know why people can't see that.)

Reboot not needed. ASM was great, just not as good as SM2. Will need to wait for the sequels to see how it stacks up overall.

#31 Posted by SoA (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: i agreed with dude in the black tee (your vid )

#32 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM is far from a "complete shit"... actually its a pretty good movie, i liked it and so did the audience and most of the critics... the numbers speak for themselves.... its not going to be rebooted anytime soon..

#33 Edited by Strider92 (16296 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I have no problem with the current reboot i'm still waiting for a Spider-man movie that features a Peter Parker who isn't in his teens. That is getting old now (oh the irony!).

#34 Posted by Sovereign91001 (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM>>>>Spider-Man 3

ASM> Spider-Man

ASM< Spider-Man 2

The crap-tastic stink of Spider-Man 3 required the nuclear option of a reboot (hard or soft is debatable), so yeah...reboot needed.

#35 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA: What do you disagree with?

#36 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

THE OP`s opinions that SM3 was good and ASM was crap makes me think he has no ideea about movies ad that this post is useless and irrelevant

#37 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I thought he did a good job....

#38 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

@TheCannon: I thought he did a good job....

I think he did a horrendous job. Third worst casting of the movie.

#39 Posted by Chaos Burn (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

original Spider-man films casting good?!

Toby Maguire looked like he was on the verge of tears throughout the whole series

Kirsten Dunst was a scrawny, whiny, mess of a Mary Jane

Aunt May looked like she belonged in a coffin

and James Franco was just high all the time.....

#40 Posted by SoA (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: not so much disagree as much as do not understand the hate for ASM . viners commenting make it seem this the worst movie marvel has ever put out and yet i can think of 4 : wolverine, both ghost riders , and elektra . were down right horrible. given my first comment on this thread was out of boredom now im just amazed and curious . i never knew there was so much animosity towards ASM

#41 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP likes X-men last stand better than X-men first class, so I don't think the movie is the problem.

#42 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: What was the worst?

#43 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

@TheCannon: What was the worst?

Either Sally Field as Aunt May or Denis Leary as George Stacy.

#44 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Eh, i understand Stacy

#45 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

@TheCannon: Eh, i understand Stacy

But not Aunt May?

#46 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Amazing Spider-Man movie, but it wasn't my favorite.

Spider-Man 2>Amz=Spider-Man>>Spider-Man 3

I really liked how well Gwen was cast, and how smart Peter was, but I was sad when he didn't use his powers to wrestle (like every other Spider-Man origin), how he gave up on Uncle Ben so soon, how there was no Jameson, and it almost felt like he didn't take anything serious (the promise to Mr. Stacy went out the window, he took someone else's badge, he went into a limited access room)

#47 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA:

Oh, it is definitely not the worst. (Wolverine)

And for the animosity (to put it nicely): I have huge problems with the character of Peter Parker in this film. Ignoring the fact he really isn't a nerd/geek anymore, they turned him into a pretty boy. In the previous movie, you saw him get picked on and ignored because he was an easy target in those big glasses. Also, ASM Peter was just not Peter from the comics, and the ending proved it. In the end, PETER PARKER IGNORED THE WISHES OF A MAN THAT DIED BECAUSE OF HIM TO GET WITH A GIRL THAT WE ALL KNOW IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE OF HIM.

I could go on, but to put it simply: Bad writing for Peter./ I didn't feel any heart.

#48 Posted by TheCannon (18339 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: Those were some of my MANY problems with the film.

#49 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Agreed on every single damn point.

#50 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries: BULL!

I agree with you with Aunt May and Jameson, but other than that, those movies are legendary and awesome. Spider-Man was a trilogy about being a hero and living with difficult decisions. In the first movie, Peter gave up EVERYTHING to be Spider-Man, in the second one he had to live with the consequences of making sacrifices, and the third one (as flawed as it is) show the dangers of being over gratuitous and cocky after getting recognized for those sacrifices.

And yes, the Amazing Spider-Man may throw around some more jokes, but he was just such an a$$ to people.

This would be another short video explaining my problems with it. I will say that I am greatly biased towards the first movies, but that's because they are good and superior.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.