Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is the Current Amazing spiderman series any good??

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys, im at my LCS and they suprisingly have every back issue here in first prints

and im wondering are they any good?

i stippoed reading spiderman back before issue 700, before the superior spiderman stuff

how is the current series? right now i see they are in an event

but is the series overall good, is it must read? because the guy is going to make me a deal if i by all 14 issues

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eh, it's worth checking out if you're a Spider-Man fan but there are honestly much better Spidey stories out there. If you liked Slotts work before issue 700 and Superior, then chances are you're going to still like it. But if you're not a fan of Slott then I'd recommend you stay the hell away from it.

Although I would recommend reading the Spider-Verse tie-in series. Those were f***ing awesome!

comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: The shop is closed now but tommorow i might pick them up.
    How is the main spider-verse storyline in amazing spiderman???

comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: What si bad about it and is the spiderverse story bad?

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just plain terrible! If you want to read a fun Spider-Man story without Peter getting emotional and making bad choices now and then then you should read Superior! But if you hate the whole SpOck thing then stay away from Spider-Man for a while .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................T............................................R...................................................o.................................L..................................................L.................................I...........................................N..........................................G............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

i WANTED TO MAKE IT LONGER BUT ITS TOO FREAKIN SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zarius

Honestly, just search for the newspaper strip online and forget about the regular books. Nothing Slott's written will ever top the lunacy of Clown 9 or J. Jonah Jameson battling Peter as Iron Man. A load of fun to be had with that strip, and Peter and MJ are still married there too!

Spider-Verse is good only for the tie-ins and it's led to interesting spin-offs like Spider-Gwen, pick them up, but Slott's main book tackling the event was hollow, depressing, rushed, condescending, and ended on an alarmingly unsatisfactory scale. The man is burnt out on Spider-Man at this point and it's evident from his Silver Surfer work he gives more of a damn about that book as, unlike ASM, it is consistently pacey and enjoyable with relatable and likeable characters and grand scale storytelling. It's basically Doctor Who fanfiction, but I love Doctor Who so it works just as well

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

read it

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...And please have the common sense to flush afterwards

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, ive been enjoying the entire spider-verse arc!

It's pretty cool watching them bring in all these Spider-men together.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zarius

@jasonhawke said:

You can actually watch a show from the 1990s where they did the same thing...only BETTER.

You can actually play a video game from the 2000s where they did the same thing...only BETTER

You can actually watch a show from the past year where they did the same thing...only BETTER

You can even play a video game from the past year where they did the same thing...ONLY BETTER

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jasonhawke

@zarius said:

@jasonhawke said:

You can actually watch a show from the 1990s where they did the same thing...only BETTER.

You can actually play a video game from the 2000s where they did the same thing...only BETTER

You can actually watch a show from the past year where they did the same thing...only BETTER

You can even play a video game from the past year where they did the same thing...ONLY BETTER

Every medium is better than comics when the same story is done, dummy!

i dont need you to tell me what to enjoy! xD

comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow thaank you guys very much for all your opinions

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@comicvine_is_jericho529: the core series has been really strong. Never take a hater or an overzealous fan's opinion seriously, this place's full of them. ASM has been going strong, and Spider-Verse was a very strong and memorable event. The tie-ins are hit or miss, but the strongest one of em all is Scarlet Spiders. Once you read that you will never eeeeeeveeerr be the sa- oh wait sry your username got me carried away.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ParaChomp

It's hit and miss, depends what you're looking for. If you want good characters and plot, go somewhere else. If you're looking for passion and pacing, you've come to the right place.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zarius

@anjales said:

@comicvine_is_jericho529: the core series has been really strong. Never take a hater or an overzealous fan's opinion seriously, this place's full of them. ASM has been going strong, and Spider-Verse was a very strong and memorable event

Memorable for all the wrong reasons

But by all means, continue to enable egotist hacks with your hard-earned money, and remain, as ever, easily pleased

And "hater" is the laziest way to describe a fan with critical faculties ever. Anyone who uses that term has no real sense of self-confidence about their own tastes and will always lack credibility in the face of genuine debate.

Why should he not take "hater" opinions seriously? Why should he take YOUR opinion seriously in contrast to that as if yours is better? Because you choose to enjoy a lump of coal rather than enjoy a shining diamond? Back yourself up with reasons man, there are plenty of credible websites that have given the main Spider-Verse story a reasonable and well justified critical beat down

I also noticed you used "strong" three times without ONCE emphasizing why it's strong, indicating you're just using that as a "buzz" word without any real notion of what it means.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I like it. It may not be the best ever Spider-Man story, but it is still good. I will say that it would probably be a good idea to read Superior Spider-Man first.

As for Spider-Verse, that was good too in my opinion. Seeing all of the different Spider-Men and Women running around was really neat, and we got Spider-Gwen and more of Mayday Parker out of it.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Anjales_II

@zarius: @zarius: It seems like the term that ruffled your feathers is "haters", which I clearly used accurately. And I wasn't necessarily telling him to share my opinion, all I'm urging him to do is not be influenced by the HATERS that are common around these parts and anything Slott writes because their purely subjective opinions shouldn't matter to anyone but themselves, and so someone who's interested in shouldn't be turned away from because those HATERS presented their distorted it

view of the subject at hand.

Now as for calling those who hate the run HATERS. Believe it or not, I rarely use that term and I use it specifically to a certain type of fanboy. As far as I'm concerned the HATERS are the self righteous, overzealous fanboys who hate on something for the sake of hating it. They hate it because they simply don't want to like it, not because it was actually bad in itself. And then try to justify this irrational hatred with so-called critiques that are just intangible and end up coming off as empty like "it's so forced, it's anti-climatic, it's rushed, it's pretentious, it's hollow" etc without any serious backup while also cherrypicking and nitpicking certain particular elements in the story to fit their own personal agenda. Simply put, haters are the people who want to have their cake and eat it too, all because a certain subject either dared to do a bold move or simply deviate from what this fan considers "how it should be" even though, when it comes to comics, stories are handled in a variety of different perspectives and approaches.

I mean seriously I've seen people hate on Spider-Verse simply because one of their personal favorite Spiders was killed off even though that spider was never meant to have a substantial role. Am I supposed to take a critique like that seriously and agree that the event is garbage? I've seen people complain about Slott's work simply because the Avengers appeared a lot even though given the context of the stories and the fact that Spidey himself is an Avenger, it made sense (I mean seriously if the whole city is infected by a spider virus or earth is threatened by a solar flare, why shouldn't the Avengers be involved?), or here's another one "Slott sucks because Spidey used to beat Firelord and the X-Men all by himself now he's struggling with Phil Urich and this kid Alpha? Booo Need more Feats!!".... Am I supposed to take THAT seriously? Nope those are prime examples of HATERS that I refuse to take seriously. I'm all for legit critiques, but at the end of the day these are mediums designed for our entertainment, and should approached positively. If it happened to suck, so be it, but I'm not gonna say it sucks simply because I want it to suck for not accommodating the same vision I have.

As for Spider-Verse, yes I said its strong and I know exactly why I used that term. It's strong because it left an impression on me, I was invested, I couldn't wait to pick up the next issue. I was so invested I got all the tie-ins. Yes even the bad ones. I didn't backup my claims with specifics in why I think it's strong simply because I wasn't planning on writing a review and wanted the op to judge such a massive event on their own instead of having their judgment clouded by people who short sighted and are unable accept anything beyond their own expectations. Good or Bad.

But since you seem so interested in my opinion to sum up I thought the event is strong because, firstly it's always a blast to see such different interpretations of Spidey, and a large part of them had their own personalities and histories that prevent them from becoming filler and so cause each character to be worth investing in and it is that investment that caused every death to hit you hard and make you actually care. Then there's the unique interactions between the personalities, and the Inheritors who were portrayed a truly despicable and dangerous threat, making me truly buy into the danger the spiders were in and root for them against these odds to come out on top, and was truly satisfying to see that come to fruition. And finally there's the superb art among others reasons but as far as I'm concerned these are all ingredients to a STRONG event.

And seeing your previous post reviewing this event. Your post is just as "condescending, depressing and hallow" as you described this event without any substantial backup(the same thing you accused me of". Your intangible critiques do not qualify as "critical faculties" and fail to truly convince me of your position. And the fact that you're attacking anyone who seems to have liked this event is further evidence that your points shouldn't be taken taken seriously. Not because you didn't like it, you obviously are entitled to that, but because you fail to justify it and rag on others who see otherwise.

There's so much more I can say but I think you've had enough.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to agree with this:

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2015/02/11/amazing-spider-man-2014-14-stillanerds-take/

Avatar image for rod_the_blade_star
    Rod_The_Blade_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that is going to be hard to answer without qualification. Define good, what are you looking for from the writing?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.