Is Spiderman becoming the Batman of the Marvel Universe?

#1 Posted by PrinceKalEl (23 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Joygirl (20064 posts) - - Show Bio

You're gonna have to come a bit more specific.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

No Marvel already has like 18 characters trying to be their Batman, Spidey is his own man

#4 Posted by Deadcool (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

...NOPE...

@joshmightbe said:

No Marvel already has like 18 characters trying to be their Batman, Spidey is his own man

More much like a Batman parody, they are not written to be like Batman.

#5 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

...NOPE...

@joshmightbe said:

I've always thought of the Punisher as Marvel's Batman, but a case could also be made for Black Panther (black cowl/pointy ears), Wolverine (same, plus his role in X-Men is like Batman's in JLA), Blade/Morbius (the bat thing), Daredevil (more pointy ears, plus villains like the Owl and the Jester), et cetera. There's also Nighthawk, but I don't think anyone cares.

But Spider-Man? Nope....except for the fact that he's an orphan with a totem animal.

#6 Posted by danhimself (22650 posts) - - Show Bio

you mean the brightly colored, wise-cracking, superpowered, likes working in the day light, non cape/belt wearing guy? yeah he's just like Batman

#7 Posted by RedR0bin (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean the character himself or the fact that there are a bunch of titles that have the character in it?

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13466 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddles666: There is actually quite a large number of Super hero orphans, seriously there are hundreds of them. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Captain Marvel(Billy), Daredevil, all the Robins aside from Damian, Iron Fist, Captain America, the list goes on and on

#10 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@cuddles666: There is actually quite a large number of Super hero orphans, seriously there are hundreds of them. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Captain Marvel(Billy), Daredevil, all the Robins aside from Damian, Iron Fist, Captain America, the list goes on and on

That's why I specified the presence of a totem animal and the fact that it doesn't narrow anything down is exactly my point. I guess a better (though off-topic) question to ask would be: Are there any full-grown (like, late twenties and up) superheroes who actually have living parents? Can you name any of them?

Also, Punisher will always be Marvel's Batman in my eyes.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddles666: There's also a pretty large list of super heroes with animal themes and I'm willing to bet there's a lot of crossover with the orphan list.

#12 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course. That's what I was trying to say.

#13 Posted by Strider92 (16756 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

you mean the brightly colored, wise-cracking, superpowered, likes working in the day light, non cape/belt wearing guy? yeah he's just like Batman

#14 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceKalEl said:

you got three flavors bub

• spidey (sony)
  • wolvie (fox)
  • ironman (disney)
#15 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

who else clicked this post thinking he was gonna have a reason to his question? lol

#16 Posted by VenomousDragon (968 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

who else clicked this post thinking he was gonna have a reason to his question? lol

This guy

#17 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

#18 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I can think they have in common is that Batman is considered by more the most popular DC character the same as Spider-man is for Marvel

#19 Posted by Telcalipoca (962 posts) - - Show Bio

what like their poster child? both have had series of movies and reboots, and have multiple books on sale?

#20 Posted by americanpzycho (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

@PrinceKalEl said:

you got three flavors bub

• spidey (sony)
  • wolvie (fox)
  • ironman (disney)

i agree with all of these. I put Ironman at the top though.

#21 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

no, other than the amount of books and that they are there individual companies favorites i don't see any resemblance

#22 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

No similarities are present as far as I can see.

#23 Posted by Deadcool (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddles666 said:

I've always thought of the Punisher as Marvel's Batman,

Maybe Golden Age Batman, but the Punisher is nothing like Batman.

but a case could also be made for Black Panther (black cowl/pointy ears),

Black Panther is the king of his own nation, ouside the suit, he has nothing in common with Batman.

Wolverine (same, plus his role in X-Men is like Batman's in JLA),

But not in the Marvel universe, but I have to say that Logan is probably the nearest thing that Marvel has as its Batman.

Blade/Morbius (the bat thing),

That is crap...

Daredevil (more pointy ears, plus villains like the Owl and the Jester), et cetera.

More much like hornes, DD still its own thing, as character he shares nothing with Batman.

There's also Nighthawk, but I don't think anyone cares.

Hank-Owl is probably a better "Batman" than Nighthank.

But Spider-Man? Nope....except for the fact that he's an orphan with a totem animal.

Like most of the heroes out there.

#24 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: I've always loved Golden Age Batman more than other versions of Batman (except for TAS) which is probably why I also love the Punisher so much. As for everyone else I mentioned above: I wasn't really serious. I was just trying to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to try to find a "Batman" in a universe like Marvel's, because barring outright plagiarism, there won't be a character that everyone agrees is "the Marvel Batman."

I'm not arguing for the Batman-ness of any Marvel character. I'm simply trying to expose the innate absurdity of this thread.

Though a Batman/Morbius crossover really would be hilarious, if only because Morbius would be so outclassed....... 8D

#25 Posted by secondfallen616 (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Great....trolls infiltrating comicvine.....

NEW TOPIC: Is Captain America becoming the Lobo of the New 52?

Discuss amungst yahshelves, or don't, either way a waste of time.........

#26 Posted by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean that Spider-man is carrying more gadgets than ever and that is similar to Batman? If so then no. Carrying gadgets doesn't mean you're Batman. Spidey is very different in a number of areas.

#27 Posted by nickzambuto (14180 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddles666 said:

@Deadcool said:

...NOPE...

@joshmightbe said:

I've always thought of the Punisher as Marvel's Batman, but a case could also be made for Black Panther (black cowl/pointy ears), Wolverine (same, plus his role in X-Men is like Batman's in JLA), Blade/Morbius (the bat thing), Daredevil (more pointy ears, plus villains like the Owl and the Jester), et cetera. There's also Nighthawk, but I don't think anyone cares.

Just because they're dark, that doesn't make them at all similar to Batman.

Honestly the Batman of Marvel has gotta be... Iron Man.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: I didn't say they were like Batman just that the nitwits currently running Marvel are trying to force into the position

#29 Posted by nickzambuto (14180 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@nickzambuto: I didn't say they were like Batman just that the nitwits currently running Marvel are trying to force into the position

I was actually talking to cuddles666, with his list of people who might be Marvel's Batman.

See?

#30 Posted by Primebonnick (2558 posts) - - Show Bio

no not really

#31 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure the thread was made because spidey know carries more gadgets than ever. Spidey has always been gadgets guy, it's just that we couldn't see it way too often because of the fact that he lack the resources, something that doesn't apply anymore. Also someone has already said, gadgets doesn't make you batman. Spidey has way to many differences with him to even consider them similar because of something like that.

Also the characters that some has stated, like DD, Logan, BP. Yeah, the also has some similarities with him but at the same time they have are so different. I wouldn't consider anyone being Marvel's batman, not even Cap.

:)

#32 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Spidey wears a belt.

#33 Posted by nickzambuto (14180 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@danhimself said:

Spidey wears a belt.

#34 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@danhimself said:

Spidey wears a belt.

#35 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: You know what's funny in that page. Carlie did comment in a way that spidey had some commons with Batman. I really LOLed when i read that issue.

#36 Posted by Shawnbaby (10867 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15 said:

@Shawnbaby: You know what's funny in that page. Carlie did comment in a way that spidey had some commons with Batman. I really LOLed when i read that issue.

Yeah...it was handled well. Make a quick joke about the similarities and then just move on

#37 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: Yup, exactly. :)

#38 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the Batman of Marvel is either Iron man (the playboy, entrepreneur that sells high tech goods, and uses his company's resources to fight criminals, including a large array of criminals, mostly made up of weird criminals, and having a multitude of people to succed them like the Robins for Batman, and Rhodey and others taking over for Tony) or Moon Knight (both usually fight at night, mostly loners, orphaned, both are insane, but very smart at the same time, both have been rich entrepreneurs, and both have a wide array of weapons, including grappling hooks, and boomerangs shaped in their motif, bats and crescent moons).

I mean, I understand that Spider-Man shares some things with Batman (both are orphans, both are smart, and use gadgets, are based on animals people fear, both sometimes work at night and the shadows, are mostly loners, and protect their secret identies heavily) but Spider-Man is very different (colorful costume, a jokster, works more in the daytime, is smarter, losses more often etc).

#39 Posted by VenomGoblin (2 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really possible for spidey becoming batman.If a villain kills his aunt, his wife, harry, and maybe liz oh ya he will be batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.