Is Spider-Man still top dog?

#1 Posted by nickzambuto (13038 posts) - - Show Bio

Barely even 5 years ago, Marvel's popularity list was pretty simple.

1. Spider-Man

2. Wolverine

3. Hulk I guess..

4. Etc

But ever since Iron Man, and by extension, the Avengers, came around, he seems to be lacking in exposure. Do you think the unthinkable has happened - Spider-Man has been eclipsed by another character in popularity?! It's probably a toss up between Iron Man, Wolverine, and our own friendly neighborhood at the moment. But do you think Spider-Man has been usurped as the Marvel flagship character?

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

No Spidey isn't the top dog right now. In terms of worldwide popularity Iron Man has him beat

#3 Edited by IamTheLaw85 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman and Captain America are now Marvels top dogs

#4 Edited by Dernman (14785 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he is. In another five years? Don't know.

#5 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15336 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of comics, Spiderman man still outsells anything Marvel has by a long shot.

The movies are a little different. The MCU kicked off in 2008 and until 2012 we didn't have a Spiderman movie while we had 5 MCU movies. And as good as TASM is, the Avengers was better. Iron Man is really popular now when it comes to movies.

I personally think its probably even. I still love Spiderman more than anyone in Marvel by a long shot and I know many who feel the same (my dad has a Spiderman vinyl on the hood of his car...:D ). But I know a lot of people who don't read comics or watch cartoons that think Iron Man is their flag ship character.

I think we'll know more in 5 years, as Spiderman has 3 more movies coming out along and the Avengers 3 will probably be out by 2018.

I will say that Spiderman by himself will compete with the entire MCU in terms of box office. He might not win, but he'll make plenty of money. I think that says something too.

#6 Edited by Dernman (14785 posts) - - Show Bio

Much of Iron Man's popularity comes from Robert Downey Jr. I doubt he would still be as high without him whereas actors for Spider-Man are easily replaceable.

#7 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15336 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Much of Iron Man's popularity comes from Robert Downey Jr. I doubt he would still be as high without him whereas actors for Spider-Man are easily replaceable.

Another good point. Spiderman is a character like Batman. People will always go see the movie regardless of the actor playing him. But will people be just as happy to see another Iron Man? Only time will tell.

#8 Posted by M3th (2048 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey is still TOP DAWG but Logan and Stark are on his tail. Spidey is barely winning but he's winning dammit.

-m3th.O.D.-

#9 Posted by Strider92 (16157 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

Spidey is still TOP DAWG but Logan and Stark are on his tail. Spidey is barely winning but he's winning dammit.

-m3th.O.D.-

This. Thanks to Superior Spider-man and RDJ portrayal of Stark Spider-man's popularity has dimmed. However he's still Marvel's most profititable character and more universally known.

#10 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man has taken over because Marvel is trying to push the MCU as much as possible. Spiderman is up their with Superman and Batman as characters who stay universally known.

#11 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Hah, hell no Iron man has taken that position. Spider-Man I would say is in second.

#12 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't help they are trying to kill every Peter.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4190 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by laflux (14328 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

This. Thanks to Superior Spider-man and RDJ portrayal of Stark Spider-man's popularity has dimmed. However he's still Marvel's most profititable character and more universally known.

I think most armchair (or should I say Cinema fans) of Spider-Man would be relatively unaware/uncaring of the whole Superior Spider-Man shizz, as long as Slott's ideas don't impact on the cinematic universe, and if the Marvel Movies universe has taught me anything, its that the opposite of this usually happens- at least in Spider-Man's case. I actually think that its the Marvel Animated Universe that probably has a bigger bearing on Spider-Man's popularity than Superior Spider-Man, which is guaranteed readers because its Spider-Man.

Of course bringing up Animated shows means bringing in Ultimate Spider-Man. And all I'm going to say on that is that Loeb and Bendis are planning a season three.............. (Insert appropriate trolling GIF)

#15 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man Will always be Top Dog. Despite the fact that some People TRY very Hard to Destroy him

*cough*Slott*cough*

#16 Posted by angelalfonso (967 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by theanonymousafro (16 posts) - - Show Bio

It's tricky because you have movie fan opinions then you have comicbook fan opinions. For comicbook fans (who are of course also movie fans) Spiderman is still at least near the top (unless they hate Parker dying in most stories) but for movie-only fans he's probably more of an after thought at this point

#18 Posted by M3th (2048 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Spider-Man has "Ultimate Spider-Man." Iron Man has "Avengers Assemble" since he is the star of the show (or so I heard.)

Which adds to the debate, Spider-Man has his own solo series where their basically promoting obscure characters. Iron Man is sharing TV time with his fellow Avengers. Wolverine doesn't have a cartoon on right now.

Spider-Man is still Top Dawg Dammit!

-m3th.O.D.-

#19 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he is. Though not to the non-comic reading audience.

Spider-man Will always be Top Dog. Despite the fact that some People TRY very Hard to Destroy him

*cough*Slott*cough*

In fairness, Slott isn't trying to destroy Spider-Man, he's just taking the stories in a different direction for a while. He's a massive Spider-Man fan so Peter's inevitably coming back either by the end of Slott's run or soon into his successor's.

#20 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

In fairness, Slott isn't trying to destroy Spider-Man, he's just taking the stories in a different direction for a while. He's a massive Spider-Man fan so Peter's inevitably coming back either by the end of Slott's run or soon into his successor's.

No. he isn't. If he was, he wouldn't have done what he did.

#21 Edited by laflux (14328 posts) - - Show Bio

*cough*Slott*cough*

#22 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

that's the face he had when he took a dump on the spider-man Lore.

#23 Posted by laflux (14328 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Its funny you said that because issue 700 of Amazing Spider-Man is right behind him.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull: Its funny you said that because issue 700 of Amazing Spider-Man is right behind him.

not it's not funny....it's painful. i can believe he claims to be a spidey fan.

#25 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

He definitely is. IIRC he was on one of the early Invincibly Super Massive podcasts in which he made it pretty clear that he loves Spider-Man. Doing something controversial to a character doesn't mean they don't like said character, especially since this change is so obviously temporary.

#27 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

Create an interesting storyline that a lot of people enjoy? I don't get how you can tell somebody that they aren't a fan of something

#28 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

He definitely is. IIRC he was on one of the early Invincibly Super Massive podcasts in which he made it pretty clear that he loves Spider-Man. Doing something controversial to a character doesn't mean they don't like said character, especially since this change is so obviously temporary.

Temporary or not Superior is Damaging to the Spider-man Lore. he Can CLAIM whatever he wants man, but i don't buy it, I've heard him say billions of times that he loves spider-man, yet he did something that Potentially Damages the character. He likes the Concept of spider-man, But he Hates peter Parker.

#29 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

Create an interesting storyline that a lot of people enjoy? I don't get how you can tell somebody that they aren't a fan of something

No. he created a Story line HE is interested in, and in the mean time he took sh*t all over peter Parker, That's a fact. I wish it weren't true but i honestly can't believe that a spider-man Fan would like what is happening after reading Issue 9. so terrible.

#30 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I don't see how this is so damaging to Spider-Man lore, its one or two years of a more ruthless Spider-Man that isn't Peter with a hell of a lot more story potential. Hulk was drastically changed for three or four years (can't quite remember) by having Joe Fixit instead of Savage. People (including you and me) enjoy that run and don't believe it to be damaging Hulk lore. This change isn't all that different to Hulk's.

#31 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare said:

@theacidskull said:

@guttridgeb said:

@theacidskull said:

*cough*Slott*cough*

No. he created a Story line HE is interested in, and in the mean time he took sh*t all over peter Parker, That's a fact. I wish it weren't true but i honestly can't believe that a spider-man Fan would like what is happening after reading Issue 9. so terrible.

Lol wat. Plenty of people are obviously interested given the sales and positive feedback. I grew up with Spider-Man and I love Superior. Slott did not sh*t all over Peter and the reason why he killed him off in such a disrespectful way is because it's not permanent. He wants Peter's return to mean something when it does happen.

#32 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: @guttridgeb: These are Two very Different Situations.

With Spider-man, Slott took everything that was great about peter, Erased it, and integrated it into Ock. On Top Of all of that Ock is doing just fine with Minor Complications, he's a d*ck yes, but nobody seems to ever notice that, expect carlie cooper(who is Terrible). I could stomach that, and i did actually, i was saying" hey it'll end anyways", but that was until slott decided to really screw things over. In Issue 9 it's revealed that Peter Parker was ready to Risk a small Girls life for his own ass. Peter Parker, the greatest of all heroes risked a sick little girls life, the same Peter Who puts his life on the Line every day. And Above everything else he is absolutely Humiliated By dock IN his own mind, and instead of going out with pride he went out crying, like a Pathetic Man-child, because Slott obviously Wanted Ock to Look good. It's not like otto has killed people before or anything...oh wait.

With Hulk it's a different Situation. First of peter David had No control over when he took over, his Choices were to either let rick Jones stay as hulk or Take any advantages with The Grey hulk. he says himself that he is good with dialogue so maybe he could work with the new Hulk before he went back to the Old one, and that's what he did. Plus hulk already a reputation of a Bad mental state, he has switched between incarnations before.Before Joe Fixit was even created there was Banner-Hulk, Mindless Hulk, And Savage hulk. And While it was a Hard change to go along with, peter David actually wrote character Defining arcs which added a lot of things to not only to Banner and Hulk, but Betty And Rick too. It was During this time where Banner was begging to Develop a Back Bone, yes he had a strong character before but Before David, During Bill mantlos Run, Banner Gave up and decided to finely Give in and let Hulk out , which Gave birth to the Mindless Version, While under PAD's Pen he Refused To give up Even though Mercy was trying to Grant His wish of Death. It's Moments like these where We Started to Like Joe, because it added a lot of things to hulks Mythos. Superior On The other Hand, adds Nothing to Spider-man,it is Pointless, and VERY disrespectful towards a well known Iconic character.

I'm sorry if i Came off a But Harsh. T'was Not my intention. But I hope You can see what i mean.

#33 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I disagree with you on a lot of things but I do agree that Peter risking a child's life was completely ridiculous and out of character.

#34 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Peter David had three or four years of writing Joe Fixit, Dan Slott has yet to write Spider-Ock for one. Plus, many people able to look past the lack of Peter (which I'm not particularly happy about either by the way) have been thoroughly enjoying Superior. We've yet to see the rest of Slott's plans and as far as we know, all of your problems with the way Peter has been treated could be addressed when the situation is resolved and he returns.

Also, I read somewhere that the only reason Peter David took on Incredible Hulk after his Spider-Man run was because of Joe Fixit. IIRC He thought that he couldn't write Savage Hulk as well as other characters due to the (at the time) one-dimensional aspect of the character. Also, the fact that Banner had and unstable mind before Fixit didn't exactly prepare people for a Hulk so drastically different.

#35 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Peter David had three or four years of writing Joe Fixit, Dan Slott has yet to write Spider-Ock for one. Plus, many people able to look past the lack of Peter (which I'm not particularly happy about either by the way) have been thoroughly enjoying Superior. We've yet to see the rest of Slott's plans and as far as we know, all of your problems with the way Peter has been treated could be addressed when the situation is resolved and he returns.

Also, I read somewhere that the only reason Peter David took on Incredible Hulk after his Spider-Man run was because of Joe Fixit. IIRC He thought that he couldn't write Savage Hulk as well as other characters due to the (at the time) one-dimensional aspect of the character. Also, the fact that Banner had and unstable mind before Fixit didn't exactly prepare people for a Hulk so drastically different.

Peter David Wrote hulk for 12 years, and I have read each of his trades individually, AND i can safely say that each Trade adds something Important to the character(Hulk). What I'm trying to say is that Even within a few months( the First couple of Issue), David already Established new concepts for both hulk and Banner, and Betty for that matter. Slott has had more than 15 issues and it added nothing to spider-man, it nearly destroyed Peter, and it shoehorns characters like Carlie Cooper while casting mary jane aside. Yes people weren't OKAY with it Grey hulk, but IT grew on them because it was well written and evolved Banner/Hulk as a character. I can Bring examples from the very first Trade if you want. MY point is that Joe fixit, while not easily accepted, grew on people because he Wasn't Pointless, he added something to the character. Whereas Superior adds nothing to peter Parker, in fact it takes many things away.

as for your second point, peter David DIDN'T get a Job on Hulk BECAUSE of joe but it was ONE of the Things that Attracted Him to it. He says that His strength was dialogue, so writing a character who doesn't use many Words was something he wasn't ready for, therefore he took his time, did a lot of great things, and when he was ready, he managed to write a Good savage Hulk.

Enjoying Superior Is fine man, But i hate it because it Adds Nothing to The character, in fact it damages Spider-man and Peter Parker greatly, which i find to be very disrespectful on slotts part.

#36 Posted by Xwraith (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it's:

1. Iron Man

2. Spider-Man

3. Captain America

4. Hulk

5. Wolverine

#37 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1976 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall

1. Superman

2. Batman

3. Spider-Man

At Marvel

1. Spider-Man

2. Wolverine

3. Iron-Man

4. Hulk

5.Captain America

#38 Posted by Spideysense44 (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey will always be on top once ironmans movies are over he is going to drop a bit

#39 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: You seem to have changed your point to a slightly more just one IMO so I'll stop now to avoid derailing the thread further.

Although, just to clarify, the four years of Joe Fixit I was referring to were before the return of Savage.

#40 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: You seem to have changed your point to a slightly more just one IMO so I'll stop now to avoid derailing the thread further.

Although, just to clarify, the four years of Joe Fixit I was referring to were before the return of Savage.

what did i change my point on?

i repeated the same thing :/

#41 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I disagree with you on a lot of things but I do agree that Peter risking a child's life was completely ridiculous and out of character.

what do you DISAGREE on? my Point still stands man, Superior adds nothing to the character

#42 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Your no longer saying that Slott is destroying Spider-Man's character nor are you saying that he is lying about his opinion on Spider-Man. If I'm wrong and you are still maintaining those points I can't be bothered to continue this discussion anyway.

(Also, apologies if I came across rude, I'm not in the best of moods at the moment and I'm pretty sure that was reflected in my replies)

#43 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17368 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Your no longer saying that Slott is destroying Spider-Man's character nor are you saying that he is lying about his opinion on Spider-Man. If I'm wrong and you are still maintaining those points I can't be bothered to continue this discussion anyway.

(Also, apologies if I came across rude, I'm not in the best of moods at the moment and I'm pretty sure that was reflected in my replies)

it's fine man, i'm not the chillest person here anyways lol.

And yes, i do Maintain thous points, Superior adds nothing to Spider-man, in fact it takes many things away from it. but yes, i think we have debated enough on this topic. cheers.

#44 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man's popularity ends with the films. He doesn't come close to Spider-Man in any other form of media. Spider-Man, Wolverine and arguably the Hulk are still the top dogs of Marvel in my opinion.

#45 Posted by kcjr (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I agree. Iron Man comics got a bump after Civil War, but they have never had massive sales.

#46 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. I guess it's a tie between him and Tony. But I think Spidey may be still above him.

#47 Posted by Skyfire (708 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of popularity and icon status Spider-man is still above any other Marvel character.

In fact I'd say Batman is the only comic character more popular ATM. Superman would be about equal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.