Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Spider-Man emo?

• 133 results
    _Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By _Sojourn_

EMO stands for EMONTIONALY HARDCORE- not making this up. EMO people get on my nerves, they are soo useless.

The Serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By The Serpent

No he is not emo, Thats when you are overly emotional and never happy. Spidey is non of those and he emotional for reasons that seem reasonable.

Spinner Ocho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Spinner Ocho

I still don't get it.Why do people call Spider-Man emo in the first place?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Charmcaster said:
    "

Gambler says:

"* Dressed in all Black * Standing in the Rain * In a Cemetery If this ain't Emo I don't know what is.
    Post Edited:2008-04-10 19:38:21"

That looks Emo!!!!!

"

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

That looks like Spider-Man being sad over something that anyone would cry about to me.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By The_Ghostshell

It looks like a typical Spiderman cry fest to me.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Spinner Ocho said:
    "I still don't get it.Why do people call Spider-Man emo in the first place?"

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By danhimself
    inferiorego said:
    "Charmcaster said:
    "

Gambler says:

"* Dressed in all Black * Standing in the Rain * In a Cemetery If this ain't Emo I don't know what is.
    Post Edited:2008-04-10 19:38:21"

That looks Emo!!!!!

"

"
    that's from the fallen son arc....at that point aunt may wasn't going to live and captain america had just died....he had every right to be emotional
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By The_Ghostshell

LMAO I'm pretty sure people call him emo cause he's always whining. If he's not crying over Mary Jane then he's crying over Uncle Ben. If he's not crying over Uncle Ben then he's crying over Aunt May. The dude is always crying about something (and I dont mean literal tears either) I'm sure some of it has to do with the reaction of the Spideman fan when someone calls him emo. I know thats how this thread got started. Nice to see it still going.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "LMAO I'm pretty sure people call him emo cause he's always whining. If he's not crying over Mary Jane then he's crying over Uncle Ben. If he's not crying over Uncle Ben then he's crying over Aunt May. The dude is always crying about something (and I dont mean literal tears either) I'm sure some of it has to do with the reaction of the Spideman fan when someone calls him emo. I know thats how this thread got started. Nice to see it still going.
    So he's emo because he "cries" about things that are sad?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    danhimself said:
    "that's from the fallen son arc....at that point aunt may wasn't going to live and captain america had just died....he had every right to be emotional"
    Yeah I know what arc its from. Doesn't change the fact that the scene is set up to be emo. Its raining, he's at Uncle Ben's grave (yet again), he's dressed in black, and he's crying. I didn't see any other heroes portrayed this way. Its not like he's at Cap's actually funeral. He's standing in a grave yard in the middle of a rain storm feeling sorry for himself.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "danhimself said:
    "that's from the fallen son arc....at that point aunt may wasn't going to live and captain america had just died....he had every right to be emotional"
    Yeah I know what arc its from. Doesn't change the fact that the scene is set up to be emo. Its raining, he's at Uncle Ben's grave (yet again), he's dressed in black, and he's crying. I didn't see any other heroes portrayed this way. Its not like he's at Cap's actually funeral. He's standing in a grave yard in the middle of a rain storm feeling sorry for himself.
    Every street level hero in Marvel does this...but Spider-Man seems to be the only one people get on about it.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Midnightist
    Gambler said:
    "danhimself said:
    "
    Actually back in the 70's cap started wearing a black costume after watergate and was a little emo to me but Spidey is emo but its not that dumb stupid crazy emo like Sasuke his means something because he has a screwed up life.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Vance Astro said:
    "Every street level hero in Marvel does this...but Spider-Man seems to be the only one people get on about it."
    Cause he does it all the time? And whats wrong with him being emo? Why is it so hard for fans to accept?
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Midnightist
    Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Every street level hero in Marvel does this...but Spider-Man seems to be the only one people get on about it."
    Cause he does it all the time? And whats wrong with him being emo? Why is it so hard for fans to accept?
    "
    Becuase when they hear emo they think Sasuke going crazy I love Spidey but know he's emo
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "
    I'm barely a Spider-Man fan I'm just tired of hearing Spider-Man is emo in every thread.

EDIT:Being emo isn't cool...at all.That isn't why i'm tired of it though.It's like even when Spider-Man isn't being emo..people are still on him about it.Anything that gets overused pisses me off.Like how people assume everyone who can fly will just throw someone into the sun in a fight.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Vance Astro said:
    "Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "
    I'm barely a Spider-Man fan I'm just tired of hearing Spider-Man is emo in every thread.

EDIT:Being emo isn't cool...at all.That isn't why i'm tired of it though.It's like even when Spider-Man isn't being emo..people are still on him about it.Anything that gets overused pisses me off.Like how people assume everyone who can fly will just throw someone into the sun in a fight.
    "
    Its just one of those things, like Batman being gay or Superman being a boyscout.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Midnightist said:
    "Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "
    Becuase when they hear emo they think Sasuke going crazy I love Spidey but know he's emo
    "
    I don't think of Sasuke when I hear emo.I never associated him with that word.I think of a bunch of idiots who wear dark colors and stupid hairstyles and act like life is so hard for attention.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Well apparently if you wear black to a funeral or weep when you lose a close one to your fathers dad or a robber you could've stopped then you are emo.  Thats stupid.

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator

This should be the best place to ask these questions.

Why being an emo is concidered a bad thing?
    Why the word emo is viewed as an insulting word?
    Why emo equals suicidal in some peoples eyes?

*Steps aside and lets the emotional discussion continue*

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    KillerZ said:
    "This should be the best place to ask these questions.

Why being an emo is concidered a bad thing?
    Why the word emo is viewed as an insulting word?
    Why emo equals suicidal in some peoples eyes?

EMO-

everybody on the internet knows that "emo" means "angsty kids who take pictures of themselves in a mirror on MySpace." Because random fat people sitting in their basements have confirmed this, it is generally accepted as true.

^Nothing about this is cool

WHY IS EMO INSULTING?

Well..the people who have been associated with the word emo are overly emotional,weird,and inflict pain on themselves so they can feel better.Alot of people see emo's as people who cut themselves,always wear black,cry alot and can't cope with life in general.

WHY IS EMO ASSOCIATED WITH SUICIDE?

This is easy.Emo is short for emotional which in tern has alot to do with people who commit suicide.Alot of people who do commit suicide suffer from depression.A mental disorder that causes people to feel sad,worthless,and restless..and to over exaggerate the emotional impact of a situation.

WHAT IS EMO REALLY?

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.
    ::sniff sniff:: "The Demise of the Siberian Traintracks of Our Rusty Forgotten Unblemished Love" sounds like it would make a great emo band name. ::cry::

SO IS SPIDER-MAN EMO?

I don't see how? I can't find one definition of Emo that in anyway relates to Spider-Man.The dude has a sucky life.Yes he always seems to be crying or sad about something but it's not without reason.It's not like anyone here would have dry eyes after the only father figure they had in the world was killed by someone they could have easily stopped.It's not like anyone here wouldn't be a little sad that one of their villains was having sex with their girlfriend then he hurled her off a bridge causing me to accidently kill her.If I was Parker I would have been feeling a little down about being a total outcast in highschool,the only person who was ever a mother to me getting shot by a hitman,someone I looked up to getting killed in a war between friends.Yes..Spider-Man is sad alot but he isn't emo.He has a reason to be sad...which ever definition you use of emo..it doesn't apply to Parker.

This is for people who don't get what Emo means.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Your trying to match the literal definition of Emo to Spiderman lmao of course it doesn't match. When you call someone an @$$hole your not Literally saying their an @$$hole. Or when you call someone a b!tch or muther--------- your not literally saying they $#@! mothers. Come on Vance, your reaching. The reason people call Spiderman emo is because of the way he's portayed. He's always sad or depressed about something, more so then other heroes he associates with. Its part of his character and because of that alot of people call him emo. Emo is short for Emotional, Spiderman is pretty freakin emotional ;)

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By AtPhantom
    Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "

"
    Its just one of those things, like Batman being gay or Superman being a boyscout.
    "
    BATMAN IS NOT GAY DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Slinger
    Vance Astro said:
    "

WHAT IS EMO REALLY?

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle."

Sorry, but this sounds fairly "cool" to me.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    AtPhantom said:
    " BATMAN IS NOT GAY DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!
    "
    LOL I have proof. No seriously, I know he's not but it doesn't stop people from saying he is.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb35bcd18369
    deactivated-5fb35bcd18369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Spider-Man is Emo in every reality that has ever existed. It's like Peter and all of his counterparts are cursed or something. See?

Earth-91110:

No Caption Provided

Earth-1610:
    No Caption Provided

Earth-Bullet Points:
    Peter Parker a.k.a. The Incredible Hulk!
    Peter Parker a.k.a. The Incredible Hulk!

Earth-2149:
    No Caption Provided

Earth-2301:
    No Caption Provided
    As you can clearly see...Pete's got a lot of problems no matter what reality he lives in and always tends to act...Emo and he doesn't stop either. He just keeps on being Emo all day, every day. Maybe someone needs to like...impale him with a Goblin Glider or something.

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Chaos Agent
    Well if for the fallen son arc from all the possible characters in the marvel universe they choose Spider-man (who wasn't close to Steve) for the depression part...it should tell you a thing
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#78  Edited By Erik
    Slinger said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "

WHAT IS EMO REALLY?

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle."
    Sorry, but this sounds fairly "cool" to me.
    "
    Not to me.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By The_Ghostshell

LMAO I'm glad somebody said it.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Slinger

If that wasn't cool Rivers Cuomo wouldn't have a career.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Erik
    Slinger said:
    "If that wasn't cool Rivers Cuomo wouldn't have a career.
    "
    Appealing to a specific group of suicidal people does not make you cool.

EDIT: Not a comment directed for Rivers Cuomo specifically. Just emo bands.
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Slinger

Yeah, cause only suicidal people like Weezer.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Erik
    Slinger said:
    "Yeah, cause only suicidal people like Weezer.
    "
    Sigh. Are you emo?
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Slinger
    Yawn. Does it matter? I said this sounds fairly "cool":

WHAT IS EMO REALLY?

It's called geek chic, and believe it or not, it's huge. Whether I'm "emo" or not doesn't make a difference, does it?
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Erik

I will take your obvious disinclination to answer the question as a yes. 

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Chaos Agent

well to be fair Spider-man is supposed to be relatable, with so many emos he needs to meet a new public...

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Slinger
    erik said:
    "I will take your obvious disinclination to answer the question as a yes. "
    And I'll take your disinclination to answer as a no.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Erik
    Slinger said:
    "erik said:
    "I will take your obvious disinclination to answer the question as a yes. "
    And I'll take your disinclination to answer as a no.
    "
    Oh wow. You got me there. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    King Hyperion said:
    "Spider-Man is Emo in every reality that has ever existed. It's like Peter and all of his counterparts are cursed or something. See?
    HAVING PROBLEMS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING EMO....
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "Your trying to match the literal definition of Emo to Spiderman lmao of course it doesn't match. When you call someone an @$$hole your not Literally saying their an @$$hole. Or when you call someone a b!tch or muther--------- your not literally saying they $#@! mothers. Come on Vance, your reaching. The reason people call Spiderman emo is because of the way he's portayed. He's always sad or depressed about something, more so then other heroes he associates with. Its part of his character and because of that alot of people call him emo. Emo is short for Emotional, Spiderman is pretty freakin emotional ;)
    "
    Emo is unrelated to @sshole & motherf#cker.It's not even close.People are taking a word that people made up to identify a specific group of people and everyone is applying it to Spider-Man.I'm not reaching at all.Spider-Man isn't always depressed or sad about something and that is the problem I have with people calling Spider-Man emo.Yes he has alot of problems but he deals with them when the arrive and then he moves on.Do you call everyone with problems emo? Is that what emo means now...to be sad about things that are actually sad? So if a tragedy happens in your life..are you emo? Or does that only apply to Spider-Man?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Vance Astro said:
    "Gambler said:
    "Your trying to match the literal definition of Emo to Spiderman lmao of course it doesn't match. When you call someone an @$$hole your not Literally saying their an @$$hole. Or when you call someone a b!tch or muther--------- your not literally saying they $#@! mothers. Come on Vance, your reaching. The reason people call Spiderman emo is because of the way he's portayed. He's always sad or depressed about something, more so then other heroes he associates with. Its part of his character and because of that alot of people call him emo. Emo is short for Emotional, Spiderman is pretty freakin emotional ;)
    "
    Emo is unrelated to @sshole & motherf#cker.It's not even close.People are taking a word that people made up to identify a specific group of people and everyone is applying it to Spider-Man.I'm not reaching at all.Spider-Man isn't always depressed or sad about something and that is the problem I have with people calling Spider-Man emo.Yes he has alot of problems but he deals with them when the arrive and then he moves on.Do you call everyone with problems emo? Is that what emo means now...to be sad about things that are actually sad? So if a tragedy happens in your life..are you emo? Or does that only apply to Spider-Man?
    "
    Your completely missing the point Vance. No sh!t emo is unrelated to @$$holes. I'm showing you that Spiderman not matching the literal term of Emo means nothing cause in todays language the literal definition of a word seldom matches the context in which it is used. All you have to do is go back and read Why people have called him emo and you can see that. Your trying to say Spiderman isn't emo cause he doesn't fit the literal definition, which is silly. He wines alot, he's sad alot, he complains alot, he's depressed alot, but instead of saying that people just say he's emo. They dont care what Emo actually means. Just like the examples I tried showing you in the above post. All superheroes have tragedy in their lives Vance, its one of the foundations of comicbook superheroes. Its been how many years since Uncle Ben died and yet the writers still have Spiderman showing up at his grave, dressed in black, in the middle of a rain storm, crying. Now that might not fit the Literal term of emo..........but its close enough for me to say it is ;)

Are you really trying to compare real life to comicbooks? LOL okay Vance.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Erik

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Slinger

@ Gambler: Would you call Batman emo too?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Chaos Agent
    Slinger said:
    "@ Gambler: Would you call Batman emo too?
    "
    I would (Nighthunter)
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Slinger said:
    "@ Gambler: Would you call Batman emo too?
    "
    I personally think he is. Maybe more so then Spiderman even. I dont think Spiderman or Batman being emo is a bad thing, it is what it is.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    Your completely missing the point Vance. No sh!t emo is unrelated to @$$holes. I'm showing you that Spiderman not matching the literal term of Emo means nothing cause in todays language the literal definition of a word seldom matches the context in which it is used. All you have to do is go back and read Why people have called him emo and you can see that. Your trying to say Spiderman isn't emo cause he doesn't fit the literal definition, which is silly. He wines alot, he's sad alot, he complains alot, he's depressed alot, but instead of saying that people just say he's emo. They dont care what Emo actually means. Just like the examples I tried showing you in the above post. All superheroes have tragedy in their lives Vance, its one of the foundations of comicbook superheroes. Its been how many years since Uncle Ben died and yet the writers still have Spiderman showing up at his grave, dressed in black, in the middle of a rain storm, crying. Now that might not fit the Literal term of emo..........but its close enough for me to say it is ;)

Are you really trying to compare real life to comicbooks? LOL okay Vance.
    "
    I'm not trying to compare real life to comicbooks.All I am saying is it seems people are saying Spider-Man is being called emo for being overly emotional.What I am saying is he's not emo because there is reasoning behind his emotions.He doesn't have depression and he's not emo.He doesn't just feel depressed because he woke up this morning...Most of the comics I have read recently involving Spider-Man he was pretty happy.Even cracking jokes in situations that was serious to everyone else involved.I'm not saying Spider-Man isn't emo because he doesn't fit a literal definition of emo I am saying it because he doesn't fit ANY definition of emo.

Your right..All superheroes do have tragedy in their lives and they all cry about it and they all feel depressed because of things in their lives...but Spider-Man is the only one who ever gets called on it.There are countless superheroes who end up being sad about things that aren't even as bad as what Spider-Man has been through.So all I am saying is..whenever a hero cries about something that is tragic..they are cool but when Spider-Man does the same...he's emo.That is what I don't get.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Vance Astro said:
    "I'm not trying to compare real life to comicbooks.All I am saying is it seems people are saying Spider-Man is being called emo for being overly emotional.What I am saying is he's not emo because there is reasoning behind his emotions.He doesn't have depression and he's not emo.He doesn't just feel depressed because he woke up this morning...Most of the comics I have read recently involving Spider-Man he was pretty happy.Even cracking jokes in situations that was serious to everyone else involved.I'm not saying Spider-Man isn't emo because he doesn't fit a literal definition of emo I am saying it because he doesn't fit ANY definition of emo.

Your right..All superheroes do have tragedy in their lives and they all cry about it and they all feel depressed because of things in their lives...but Spider-Man is the only one who ever gets called on it.There are countless superheroes who end up being sad about things that aren't even as bad as what Spider-Man has been through.So all I am saying is..whenever a hero cries about something that is tragic..they are cool but when Spider-Man does the same...he's emo.That is what I don't get.
    "
    This is a nice post. But I still think he's emo.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "I'm not trying to compare real life to comicbooks.All I am saying is it seems people are saying Spider-Man is being called emo for being overly emotional.What I am saying is he's not emo because there is reasoning behind his emotions.He doesn't have depression and he's not emo.He doesn't just feel depressed because he woke up this morning...Most of the comics I have read recently involving Spider-Man he was pretty happy.Even cracking jokes in situations that was serious to everyone else involved.I'm not saying Spider-Man isn't emo because he doesn't fit a literal definition of emo I am saying it because he doesn't fit ANY definition of emo.

"
    This is a nice post. But I still think he's emo.
    "
    I wasn't trying to change your mind I just don't get it.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'd post scans but now I'm not sure if I should.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Erik

Give them a try Gambler. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.