Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Spider-Man emo?

• 133 results
    Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Is Spidey emo, if so, prove it. If not, prove it. Don't just come in, post yes or no and just leave.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Eternal Chaos

aztek the lost says:

"1. Emotional; sensitive. 2. Depressed. 3. Associated with youth subcultures embodying emotional sensitivity. I don't read much Spider-Man but I'm pretty sure he's emotional"

Everyone is emotional though. Emo is basically somebody who is OVERLY emotional. Parker may be emotional, but I don't see him in the corner cutting his wrists because his life is hard. He just bitches and has a bad habit of realising his faults. Big difference.

Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lord Doom

Everbody is a little "emotional" but people use the word emo the wrong way all the time so at this point I don't know the actual definition.Since BND though he's been the same old Spidey.

Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lord Doom

aztek the lost says:

"1. Emotional; sensitive. 2. Depressed. 3. Associated with youth subcultures embodying emotional sensitivity. I don't read much Spider-Man but I'm pretty sure he's emotional"

He's not "emo" though I don't think.If someone shot the only person who was always in your corner and always believed in you and you already seen it happen to a person similar in value.You would act the same as Spider-man.I think your only emo when your just depressed for no reason.

Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lord Doom

aztek the lost says:

"Lord Doom says:
    "aztek the lost says:
    He's not "emo" though I don't think.If someone shot the only person who was always in your corner and always believed in you and you already seen it happen to a person similar in value.You would act the same as Spider-man.I think your only emo when your just depressed for no reason."
    the only way you can be depressed for no reason is if there is a chemical imbalance in your brain"

Or you could be trying to get attention...

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Ghostshell

aztek the lost says:

" 1. Emotional; sensitive.2. Depressed.3. Associated with youth subcultures embodying emotional sensitivity.I don't read much Spider-Man but I'm pretty sure he's emotional"

And depressed.

Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lord Doom

aztek the lost says:

"Lord Doom says:
    "Or you could be trying to get attention..."
    then your not depressed, so your not emo..."

So just being depressed makes you emo even if you have a good reason or do you have to be over-depressed for the situation.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"aztek the lost says:
    " 1. Emotional; sensitive. 2. Depressed. 3. Associated with youth subcultures embodying emotional sensitivity. I don't read much Spider-Man but I'm pretty sure he's emotional"
    And depressed. "

Parker's not depressed and if he is, it's likely for good reason. I haven't seen enough evidence to prove he's depressed. When you're depressed, you're always moping around, something Parker doesn't do.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Eternal Chaos says:

"Parker's not depressed and if he is, it's likely for good reason. I haven't seen enough evidence to prove he's depressed. When you're depressed, you're always moping around, something Parker doesn't do."

Everyone in comics has a good reason. You think Spiderman is the only character with issues? No, he's the only one who's always going on about it though. The little think bubbles are always filled with, "Ohhhh Aunt May, Ohhhhh Mary Jane, Ohhhhh Uncle Ben" Its the way the writers set it up. Thats who he is. His parents are dead, his Uncle is dead, Gwen Stacy is dead. They set it up for him to piss and moan all the time. Is MJ safe? What I have done? Oh no Aunt May's fallen and cant get up.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Edit: Gwen's not dead now but she was :P

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By T.J. Magnum

he has his down times,but no i dont think he is

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
    " Parker's not depressed and if he is, it's likely for good reason. I haven't seen enough evidence to prove he's depressed. When you're depressed, you're always moping around, something Parker doesn't do."
    Everyone in comics has a good reason. You think Spiderman is the only character with issues? No, he's the only one who's always going on about it though. The little think bubbles are always filled with, "Ohhhh Aunt May, Ohhhhh Mary Jane, Ohhhhh Uncle Ben" Its the way the writers set it up. Thats who he is. His parents are dead, his Uncle is dead, Gwen Stacy is dead. They set it up for him to piss and moan all the time. Is MJ safe? What I have done? Oh no Aunt May's fallen and cant get up."

I have to argue with you because the only time he even has them on his mind is when they're in danger, if something's going on or if something happened that isn't good. Like if May's sick, or if MJ's missing (she did that before) or something like that. He doesn't just run around doing it randomly unless it's the story. The few times he has done that is when HE goes missing for a while. Another tid bit is the fact that he does think about them from time to time or like most normal human beings, wonders what he's going to do ect.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Its not just a once in a while thing. Its constant. Unless he's in someone else's title then it never comes up at all. Also he has the power and ability to make sure MJ and his family are as safe as can be. He knows everyone in the Marvel U giving him unlimited resources. He could be living the life (like any normal person would do) but no, he's all melodramatic pining for sympathy, "Feel sorry for me I'm Spiderman. I have all these amazing powers but I cant live a normal life. The people I care about are always in danger blah blah" Like someone forced him to be a superhero. Maybe he should have thought about what he was doing and how it would affect those around him.

Emo stands for emotional. How is Spiderman not emotional? I'm not looking for reasons why he's emotional, or defending the fact that he is. I wanna know how he's NOT Emo.

Chameleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chameleone

Gambler says:

"Its not just a once in a while thing. Its constant. Unless he's in someone else's title then it never comes up at all. Also he has the power and ability to make sure MJ and his family are as safe as can be. He knows everyone in the Marvel U giving him unlimited resources. He could be living the life (like any normal person would do) but no, he's all melodramatic pining for sympathy, "Feel sorry for me I'm Spiderman. I have all these amazing powers but I cant live a normal life. The people I care about are always in danger blah blah" Like someone forced him to be a superhero. Maybe he should have thought about what he was doing and how it would affect those around him.Emo stands for emotional. How is Spiderman not emotional? I'm not looking for reasons **why** he's emotional, or defending the fact that he is. I wanna know how he's **NOT** Emo."

I agree. He chose his path. Why couldn't he just get someone to babysit MJ and May for him? Look at the mutants. They're thrown into that no matter what. He made the choice of giving up his identity. He could have stayed in hiding.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By LexiCat

Peter Parker is not Emo. He doesn't sit around whining about the things that happen to him. He doesn't look to place blame on others for failures that he's had to endure. He's not looking at placing the blame on others for him having a difficult life. He accepts his responsibilities and he takes on a hell of alot of pressure and still manages to do the best he can with the hand he's dealt.

Peter's guilt over Gwen is just that. But it isn't some overriding factor in his life. He doesn't sit around, swig alcoholic beverage after alcoholic beverage, talking about the "good old days" when everything was right. He's known that it's not always been right. But does he let that stop him from trying to make it right? No. Does he let it stop him from making the most out of every single day? No. He's had alot of crises that would lead anyone lesser a man into a spiraling depression, but Peter keeps going strong. That's why I will never look at him as being Emo. I believe his emotions are a large part of his appeal and his strength of character.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Spider-Man was 15 years old when he obtained these powers. He tried living the life of an almost normal person, he tried being a famous guy and making himself better but that failed and caused the death of an innocent man, Uncle Ben. During that time, he had an epiphany in which he would try to protect people, and prevent innocent people like the Uncle Bens and Aunt Mays of the world from getting hurt. So in a sense, he's not to blame for getting his powers, he's not to blame for having an epiphany and he's not to blame because he was brought up to have morals and be a man of his word (an honorable trait). How's he melodramatic and pining for sympathy? The man thinks about his life, you can't blame him for thinking about his life and trying to figure things out. You've never had regrets, or even thought about regretting things you've done and choices you've made?

That's a total crappy definition of Emo. Doesn't EMO stand overly emotional characters? If it's just emotional, I can say the same thing about every single person alive and every single comic book character if you want to swing that route. Preferably about people in relationships because relationships bring out emotions. It can go from Gambit and Rogue, to Hulk and that woman he loved but died/killed. See what I mean?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I know Spiderman's history. None of that tells me why he isn't Emo.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"I know Spiderman's history. None of that tells me why he isn't Emo."

Eternal Chaos says:

"That's a total crappy definition of Emo. Doesn't EMO stand overly emotional characters? If it's just emotional, I can say the same thing about every single person alive and every single comic book character if you want to swing that route. Preferably about people in relationships because relationships bring out ***emo***tions. It can go from Gambit and Rogue, to Hulk and that woman he loved but died/killed. See what I mean?"
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Lol, that still doesn't tell me why he's not Emo. It just tells me you believe others are as well.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"Lol, that still doesn't tell me why he's **not** Emo. It just tells me you believe others are as well."

No, it doesn't say he's not emo, but then it just basically takes your "Spider-Emo" jokes and throws them out because then I can say the same thing about everybody and pretty much just dump the word "emo" as a whole. Because as far as I'm concerned like Chris said below, emo describes somebody who's overly whiney and emotional, something Spider-Man isn't.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Well as far as I'm concerned he is. He's the single most whiniest character in the Marvel U. I guess I gotta go dig up some scans now.

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ChrisAngel

Emo describes to me a person overly whiny about their situation, but never steps up to do anything about it.. doesn't take the steps to fix whatevers wrong. That's not Peter, not by a long shot.... even at his worst, he's stepped up time and time again to the plate and doesnt let whatevers got him down to totally overwhelm him. He takes action. Peter's EMOTIONAL, yes.. but far from Emo.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"Well as far as I'm concerned he is. He's the single most whiniest character in the Marvel U. I guess I gotta go dig up some scans now."

He's "whiney" because bad things are always happening to him and when his family's in danger, he worries about them. It's not something he does all the time for no reason. He has a family that he assumes responsibility for, not many other comic book heroes can say that they do.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    • Dressed in all Black

• Standing in the Rain

• In a Cemetery

If this ain't Emo I don't know what is.

Post Edited:2008-04-10 19:38:21

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ChrisAngel

LexiCat says:

"Peter Parker is not Emo. He doesn't sit around whining about the things that happen to him. He doesn't look to place blame on others for failures that he's had to endure. He's not looking at placing the blame on others for him having a difficult life. He accepts his responsibilities and he takes on a hell of alot of pressure and still manages to do the best he can with the hand he's dealt.
    Peter's guilt over Gwen is just that. But it isn't some overriding factor in his life. He doesn't sit around, swig alcoholic beverage after alcoholic beverage, talking about the "good old days" when everything was right. He's known that it's not always been right. But does he let that stop him from trying to make it right? No. Does he let it stop him from making the most out of every single day? No. He's had alot of crises that would lead anyone lesser a man into a spiraling depression, but Peter keeps going strong. That's why I will never look at him as being Emo. I believe his emotions are a large part of his appeal and his strength of character. "

You ask me, poor Pete's had enough crises that would make a man do more than just be depressed. Lesser men would have hanged themselves or probabaly tried to eat a bullet....but Pete's been stronger than that. In my own humble opinion. Yes, he's very protective of his family, and yes, perhaps he has an overdeveloped guilt complex and sense of responsibility. But that's by no means cause to say he's an emo guy.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Slinger

Eternal Chaos says:

"That's a total crappy definition of Emo. Doesn't EMO stand overly emotional characters? If it's just emotional, I can say the same thing about every single person alive and every single comic book character if you want to swing that route. Preferably about people in relationships because relationships bring out ***emo***tions. It can go from Gambit and Rogue, to Hulk and that woman he loved but died/killed. See what I mean?"

As a person who, ten years ago, started to refer to himself as emo, I am kind of insulted by people throwing it around as a dirty word. Someone who is emo isn't necessarily paralyzed by their feelings, they are most often fully functional members of society. Emo doesn't stand for overly emotional, it is simply a word for someone who is very in touch with emotions in general, whether their own or someone elses. That said, Spider-Man, and many other Marvel characters, including Wolverine, Havok, Rogue, Gambit, Captain America, and others, could be considered emo. It is common for people to confuse emo with a specific haircut or personal style. Just cause a kid has black fingernails, wears eyeliner, and listens to My Chemical Romance, doesn't make them emo. Just cause a teenager acts all angsty that doesn't make them emo, all teenagers are angsty. That makes them a part of an emergent youth sub-culture commonly referred to as emo. Do not confuse the sub-culture with the personality type. Spider-Man is the personality type, certainly not the sub-culture.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"* Dressed in all Black * Standing in the Rain * In a Cemetery If this ain't Emo I don't know what is.
    Post Edited:2008-04-10 19:38:21"

I have that story, I read it twice. That was when Steve died. He went to go pay Uncle Ben a visit and reflect on a few things. He was attacked by Rhino/he attacked Rhino at the cemetary. He was wearing that suit because it was during the "Back in Black" era. That doesn't make him "emo" as you like to put it.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Slinger says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
    As a person who, ten years ago, started to refer to himself as emo, I am kind of insulted by people throwing it around as a dirty word. Someone who is emo isn't necessarily paralyzed by their feelings, they are most often fully functional members of society. Emo doesn't stand for overly emotional, it is simply a word for someone who is very in touch with emotions in general, whether their own or someone elses. That said, Spider-Man, and many other Marvel characters, including Wolverine, Havok, Rogue, Gambit, Captain America, and others, could be considered emo. It is common for people to confuse emo with a specific haircut or personal style. Just cause a kid has black fingernails, wears eyeliner, and listens to My Chemical Romance, doesn't make them emo. Just cause a teenager acts all angsty that doesn't make them emo, all teenagers are angsty. That makes them a part of an emergent youth sub-culture commonly referred to as emo. Do not confuse the sub-culture with the personality type. Spider-Man is the personality type, certainly not the sub-culture."

That's exactly my point. The common use of the word "emo" is overly emotional and that's how most people refer to it as. That's the majority of my arguement. I think emo, I think overly emotional, something that is often stated more times then one and it's a statement that gets used improperly to describe Spider-Man.

Avatar image for exemplar_of_power
    Exemplar of Power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slinger says:

"Eternal Chaos says:

As a person who, ten years ago, started to refer to himself as emo, I am kind of insulted by people throwing it around as a dirty word. Someone who is emo isn't necessarily paralyzed by their feelings, they are most often fully functional members of society. Emo doesn't stand for overly emotional, it is simply a word for someone who is very in touch with emotions in general, whether their own or someone elses. That said, Spider-Man, and many other Marvel characters, including Wolverine, Havok, Rogue, Gambit, Captain America, and others, could be considered emo. It is common for people to confuse emo with a specific haircut or personal style. Just cause a kid has black fingernails, wears eyeliner, and listens to My Chemical Romance, doesn't make them emo. Just cause a teenager acts all angsty that doesn't make them emo, all teenagers are angsty. That makes them a part of an emergent youth sub-culture commonly referred to as emo. Do not confuse the sub-culture with the personality type. Spider-Man is the personality type, certainly not the sub-culture."

I wholeheartedly agree

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Gambler says:

"Lmao, whatever people. I'm not going to write an essay on why I believe Spiderman is Emo. EC your a Spiderman fan I get it. The truth is nothing that was said here was going to change anything you believed. Thus I thought it was more of a joke. If that didnt come across in the last post then I failed. @As for being insulted about the term Emo, meh."

I guess this will just be a matter of opinion between you and I.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Lmao, whatever people. I'm not going to write an essay on why I believe Spiderman is Emo. EC your a Spiderman fan I get it. The truth is nothing that was said here was going to change anything you believed. Thus I thought it was more of a joke. If that didnt come across in the last post then I failed.

@As for being insulted about the term Emo, meh.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Slinger

Eternal Chaos says:

"That's exactly my point. The common use of the word "emo" is overly emotional and that's how most people refer to it as. That's the majority of my arguement. I think emo, I think overly emotional, something that is often stated more times then one and it's a statement that gets used improperly to describe Spider-Man."

Ahh, maybe I misrepresented my point. The common use of the word "emo" is not in my opinion overly emotional, but instead it is an adjective used to describe that sub-culture that I described in my previous post. Using the common use as I see it, Cloak is emo, Trauma is emo, Penance is emo, Night Thrasher is emo, etc. Spidey is too bright and cheerful in general to fall into this category. Personally I also don't agree with the statement overly emotional, if that is emo, then certainly the Hulk is emo, anger and rage are emotions, right?

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
    Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Gambler says:

"* Dressed in all Black * Standing in the Rain * In a Cemetery If this ain't Emo I don't know what is.

I have that comic. He's not Emo.

He was paying Uncle Ben a visit, He was thinking about Steve's (Cap's) Death and reflecting on things.

He even fought Rhino in the comic.

Spider-Man is not Emo.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Gambler says:

"Emo"
    NOT.
    Post Edited:2008-04-11 17:58:33
    Charmcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Charmcaster

Gambler says:

That looks Emo!!!!!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Emo

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Gambler says:

"Its really more of an inside joke between, EC, Shaper, and Myself. I think its funny it was made into a thread though :P"

Well, I don't think he's Emo.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Super-Buster

Everyone has their moments.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Its really more of an inside joke between, EC, Shaper, and Myself. I think its funny it was made into a thread though :P

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By zero edge

He's been pretty damn emo the past couple years.

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shaper

Gambler says:

"Emo"

F@ck you.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Ghostshell

zero edge says:

"He's been pretty damn emo the past couple years."

Thank you.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Spider-Man is not Emo.

He's one of the best comic book characters ever.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Gambler says:

"zero edge says:
    "He's been pretty damn emo the past couple years."
    Thank you."

NOT EMO.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pixelized

Uh-oh midnight lantern...another hate thread ask methos to lock this one too...LMAO

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zenma

in the movie he appeared emo in one of the scencs, but unless he cuts himself then that is when i'll call him emo

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By zero edge

He's emo once every decade.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Super-Buster

Didn't emo start out as a music style? When did cutting yourself become associated with being emo?

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Resonate

Midnight Lantern says:

"Gambler says:
    "Its really more of an inside joke between, EC, Shaper, and Myself. I think its funny it was made into a thread though :P"
    Well, I don't think he's Emo. "

there you go, you and your thinking again

Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
    Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler says:

"I know Spiderman's history. None of that tells me why he isn't Emo."

and vice versa, as soon as you can come up with something that tells us that he is.

As long as pete doesn't were black chucks with pink skulls he's not an emo.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.