Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Slott only hated on the Vine?

• 191 results
    MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@master_of_suprise said:

@bezza:

Well I think most of the hate comes from the severe character derailment. From what I've seen a lot of people on here like those characters so to have this derailment in a story they don't like stay to us is like putting salt on the wound. That being said I don't think fans of Slott's run should be fearful of posting their thoughts.

It's more so that I don't feel the need to explain why my view is right and yours is wrong, it's subjective. I don't expect Watchmen grade writing from Slott, I just expect good old fashioned fun and something different from the usual dark and grim stuff that Marvel/DC typically put out these days (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just nice to have variety). Plus, he tends to change the status quo more often than other writers (which is one reasons why some people hate him) and that's perfect for Spider post-OMD.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

@maccyd:

Hey if you enjoy it that's your business. Me however I find him to pick and choose continuity. Derail characters if not out right assassinate them. Example: Black Cat's current portrayal. In favor of his own characters who come off either unlikable or bland. IMO he's actually hurt Peter as a character and wouldn't mind him being replaced. That however is my own personal opinion. That's not too make you feel bad about yours it's just too show why I'm not happy.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: I was saying this over and over again until blue in the face! the people around here continue to harp on the haters of superior and beg for a more vicious or different spiderman yet not a single one checked out scarlet prior to it being canceled. TY CV for the lack of support the book received while you continued to eat up the terd sandwich known as superior spiderman , THE MOST GIMMICK FILLED SPIDERMAN RUN OF ALL TIME

dan slott hot shot booking spiderman at its finest

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By darthfury78

@master_of_suprise:

You are correct. However, Slott is very good with using gimmicks, unlike Chris Yost or Kelly Sue for that matter. A good gimmick, for example, that Kelly Sue DeCommick could have used for the first arc of Captain Marvel was taking advantage of Carol’s relationship with both Peter Parker and Jessica Drew by having all three of them working together in a classic throwback of Three’s Company. I bring up Three’s Company was because Janet Wood and Chrissy Snow were both attracted to Jake Tripper. In addition to that, the actors who played the characters where very close friends off camera. So I could imagine Jessica Drew and Carol Danvers both being attracted to Peter Parker in the same manner as Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy. That might have been a fun story arc to read about.

As for Scarlet Spider, I never understood why Chris Yost never used any gimmicks to attract some of the Spider-Man readers away from Dan Slott? He could have brought in Moondragon who could have helped Kaine to confront his demons through their mental exercise and martial arts techniques, for example.

I am sure that Dan Slott killed off Peter Parker because he knows all too well that life as a Spider-Man writer doesn’t last forever. And Superior Spider-Man is the best gimmick that has kept him on top of the sales charts. Something that Scarlet Spider, Agent Venom, not Captain Marvel has ever achieve as far as exceeding over 50k copies a month on a consistent basis.

Nevertheless, your words are definitely on the mark about Superior Spider-Man. It sucks that Marvel allowed Slott to create a scenario where Peter’s close friends do not know that there is something wrong with him. You could say that Slott had to administer the STUPID PILLS to make everyone around Spock stupid. Otherwise, the ruse would have been exposed sooner. And you would think that the Black Widow and Spider-Woman would have figured it out. I think that Superior Spider-Man will stick around for as long as Marvel allows Slott as the solo writer, which is not a very good thing because we only have one voice. You could say that the main reason why Slott took the job as writer for Spider-Man was to make his childhood dreams come true, as he stated that he only wants to concentrate on Spider-Man and his world. Not to integrate parts of the Marvel Universe. But ever since the whole post OMD era had started, all we been getting is the same recycled stories over and over again. This is why I lost interest in Spider-Man because the character of Peter Parker has regressed a great deal since the whole OMD crap had started.

If they went through the trouble of breaking up Peter’s marriage to Mary Jane, they could allowed Betty Brant to resume her relationship with Peter once again, which would have been much better than the string of forgettable relationships. Even Jennifer Walters(in her human form) would have made things interesting because of her legal background. I never understood why Slott never took advantage of doing a Jennifer Walters and Peter Parker relationship, even Veronica Chase(From Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth) would have been interesting as well. If only they had introduce the Earth-616 version of Dr. Veronica Chase.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Zarius

Trouble is, even when Slott does make use of heroes from the universe, they're portrayed as complete dimwits, he simply has no voice for the more iconic characters, Spidey included, I think his best work was always with obscure titles where he could work with characters who operated on the fringes of the established universe.

Everyone in the book no longer resembles the characters honed to perfection by the likes of Lee, Stern, DeFalco, DeMatties and JMS, all in their place are fascimiles, pretenders, comedians and man-children in the guise of iconic characters. Slott cannot even thinly disguise them and people low in respect as well as intelligence are content to let him do this, hence the sales spikes for Superior. People have long forgotten or have rather chosen to abandon their sincere connection to the charm and appeal of Peter Parker and his supporting cast and it's the OMD debacle I blame for such dissillusionment. They are content to remain on autopilot and eat any old mediocre crap so long as they have "fun".

They, like Slott, like Marvel Editorial, simply no longer care

@maccyd

1. I don't want kindergarden-grade writing from Slott, but unfortunatly that's all he gives us

2. Changing the status quo is perfectly fine...so long as the plot makes sense and the characters remain consistent, which they don't, because Slott does'nt given a crap, hence the criticism.

3. Again, "fun" is just the code word given to "I'll accept lowest common denomenator material if it makes me laugh", and it's just as bad as putting up with consistent doom and gloom. Indeed, there is nothing fun about this Peter Parker or his supporting cast..they're unendearing and immature and it makes for an even more depressing read. When the daily newspaper strip is surpassing these characters in terms of likeability, you know you're in trouble.

Alex_1333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There isn't a shortage of places with fans unhappy with Slott crawlspace, comicboards and a number of blogs among them even CBR whose moderators worship Slott can't prevent a handful of them from posting.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By magnetic_eye

Just look at how Slott continues to show Peter as an abject failure and loser in ASM #19 and ASM #20.

He simply does not get Peter Parker, he loves to add to his weaknesses, pushing the stupid over-used (old Parker luck) cliche, and has never emphasized Peter's strengths.

Slott's Spider-Man is not a mature, independent, resourceful, or formidable individual. Spider-Man is not a victorious super hero under Slott. He's an immature Stark/Wayne composite, a supporting man-child character in his own title, a punching bag for Doc Ock who clearly stands out as Slott's favorite character.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By ursaber

Just look at how Slott continues to show Peter as an abject failure and loser in ASM #19 and ASM #20.

He simply does not get Peter Parker, he loves to add to his weaknesses, pushing the stupid over-used (old Parker luck) cliche, and has never emphasized Peter's strengths.

Slott's Spider-Man is not a mature, independent, resourceful, or formidable individual. Spider-Man is not a victorious super hero under Slott. He's an immature Stark/Wayne composite, a supporting man-child character in his own title, a punching bag for Doc Ock who clearly stands out as Slott's favorite character.

magnetic eye you are ->

No Caption Provided

And Slott ->

No Caption Provided

Me too Slott ->

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thankfully, no. Vine is perhaps the loudest lol, but other sites have users showing their dislike for him.

I'm sure everyone on Spidey's page has seen my opinion on Slott by now.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By casper4690

I've told Slott at san diego that I'm not a huge fan of his books.I also proceeded to poop on his books and have him smell it

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've told Slott at san diego that I'm not a huge fan of his books.I also proceeded to poop on his books and have him smell it

No Caption Provided

windyphong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no no no, i don't no stt

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By jayskee

No, he's hated many places

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DieHard200904

More or less because plenty of us here on the vine do not equal the majority of those who review and rate the issues on Amazon? Plus, most of us like things the way that they were for us in our time, can you really blame us for that?

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just search on Twitter now for his name and you will see how many people are just happy now he is out of Twitter.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More or less because plenty of us here on the vine do not equal the majority of those who review and rate the issues on Amazon? Plus, most of us like things the way that they were for us in our time, can you really blame us for that?

I'm gradually seeing a lot of people who review comics for a profession turn on Slott's work, especially in all the videos on Youtube that praise Renew Your Vows

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @diehard200904 said:

I'm gradually seeing a lot of people who review comics for a profession turn on Slott's work, especially in all the videos on Youtube that praise Renew Your Vows

I want to see this videos. More and more the flaws in his writing and in the depiction of Peter is bad, all he does is make Peter look bad, be immature, incompetent and blame himself for everything, practically a failed hero and it is not compelling.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @diehard200904 said:

I want to see this videos. More and more the flaws in his writing and in the depiction of Peter is bad, all he does is make Peter look bad, be immature, incompetent and blame himself for everything, practically a failed hero and it is not compelling.

This is my favorite so far:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: I love the way you think. You're summary of Slott is to on point and accurate.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't stand his interpretation of Spider-Man or the mythos. He really needs to step down and let someone else take over.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: Yup I'm pretty were you're at dude. Get Slott of the book quick, fast and in a hurry. He has brought truly nothing but gimmicks, mediocrity and garbage to ASM.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By tparks

The Dan Slott haters are a very loud minority. I'm not claiming he is good, I'm just pointing out that the comments you see on CV, don't necessarily represent the majority of comic book readers. You should give him a chance, and form your own opinions.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ZariusII

@tparks said:

The Dan Slott haters are a very loud minority. I'm not claiming he is good, I'm just pointing out that the comments you see on CV, don't necessarily represent the majority of comic book readers. You should give him a chance, and form your own opinions.

What do you think we've been doing the last nine sodding years?

HE DID'NT PICK UP HIS PEN YESTERDAY Y'KNOW

On occasion, I still praise the occasional title he writes or co-writes, but for the most part, he's had his chance and he's routinely blown it.

Look elsewhere beyond Comic Vine and you'll see Slott criticism is not this shiny new coat of paint, but an ongoing trend, and it HAS steadily been affecting the sales traction of the title the longer his reign has gone on and the more people are beginning to understand what he brings to the table isn't what Spider-Man is remotely about.

ASM has dropped out of the top twenty TWICE this year, a year that has seen Marvel taken a right royal bollocking at the hands of DC and a married Superman with a kid.

A "loud minority"? Bollocks. Maybe once before during, say, the days of Superior Spider-Man, yes, but certainly not now. Every cookie eventually crumbles, you're seeing that happen.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: What do you think we've been doing the last nine sodding years?

On occasion, I still praise the occasional title he writes or co-writes, but for the most part, he's had his chance and he's routinely blown it.

Look elsewhere beyond Comic Vine and you'll see Slott criticism is not this shiny new coat of paint, but an ongoing trend, and it HAS steadily been affecting the sales traction of the title the longer his reign has gone on and the more people are begining to understand what he brings to the table is'nt what Spider-Man is remotely about.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This in major factor way!!!!!!!!!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:
    @zariusii said:
    @tparks said:

What do you think we've been doing the last nine sodding years?

HE DID'NT PICK UP HIS PEN YESTERDAY Y'KNOW

Look elsewhere beyond Comic Vine and you'll see Slott criticism is not this shiny new coat of paint, but an ongoing trend, and it HAS steadily been affecting the sales traction of the title the longer his reign has gone on and the more people are beginning to understand what he brings to the table isn't what Spider-Man is remotely about.

ASM has dropped out of the top twenty TWICE this year, a year that has seen Marvel taken a right royal bollocking at the hands of DC and a married Superman with a kid.

A "loud minority"? Bollocks. Maybe once before during, say, the days of Superior Spider-Man, yes, but certainly not now. Every cookie eventually crumbles, you're seeing that happen.

If any of this were true about his sales being completely terrible, he wouldn't be writing Spider-Man books anymore. His books are selling, and selling enough to keep him writing for long periods of time. Marvel isn't dumb when it comes to making money, and they aren't going to stay loyal to a writer that isn't making them money. Slott would be gone if his sales weren't consistently making Marvel the money they expect from a Spider-Man book. There are so many variables to how a book gets top selling spots with how books are distributed these days, that the only important thing to a company like Marvel, is that an ongoing book like Spider-Man, can continue to sell for long term, which it has.

Yes, there are a few hundred people online who have very vocal opinions, like the one you just had in response to me, with all CAPS, bold letters, underlines, and claiming my entire comment was "bollocks", again in bold. You say that Dan Slott haters are not a loud minority, while giving the perfect example of a comment from the loud minority.

You have to remember that a few hundred people making comments, means absolutely nothing to Marvel, compared to the thousands that are continuing to buy Slott's books. The worst part is, that the people who are the loudest, all talk about how many books he's written poorly, which means they are reading his books. If they haven't been reading his books, then where would the opinions come from?

Now, I'm not writing this to say you shouldn't voice your opinion, and try to make noise so Marvel knows that they are not putting out a quality product. I've been doing that constantly for the past few years. If I can make a suggestion though, stop reading Dan Slott's books. Every time you read one, even if it's just to pick out reasons to hate it, it tells Marvel, that you like what is happening, because you are supporting them by reading it.

I actually am not much of a fan of Slott's Spider-Man, but I've also stopped supporting him by reading anything he writes at Marvel. That said, there are thousands of people still reading it, and continue to do so, even if they find it unappealing, and come online and write in 20 threads a day about how much they hate what they are continually supporting.

Spider Man books sell well because they are titled SPIDER MAN, Marvel's mascot and premier superhero. Everyone knows Spider Man and what he's about and they buy his books because of it. Spider Man's sheer popularity is what's keeping him afloat because if today's readers knew the kind of story they were getting into and how Slott is executing that story then they wouldn't buy the book. When you pick up The Amazing Spider Man you expect to read about Peter Parker Spider Man but under Slott, you'll read about how Peter is a loser and supporting character in his own book with the spotlight falling into Dock Ock, Silk or Kaine because Slott can write anyone better than Spider Man himself.

Slott was lucky enough to be assigned to the book after the OMD atrocity as part of the BND initiative and while he had promise in his early years everything blew over in Superior Spider Man which was the height of his gimmicks and lack of creativity. He got lucky that he was assigned to Marvel's premier and most popular superhero who'll sell well enough because his name and appearance are on the cover of the title.

And since Marvel is all about money (like ALL companies) then readers will make their choices known to them thanks to the release of Renew Your Vows and everyone will have a choice: Spider Man-Boy (Slott) or SPIDER MAN (RYV). When RYV outsells the main title, they will finally have the excuse needed to pander to the large crowd they've alienated for the last ten years.

I don't buy his books, I read them online or from friends who pick it up where afterwards I warn them not to.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By tparks

@ursaber: I'm not trying to say your complaints are not valid, because I agree with them. But for how long can we say that everyone hates Slott, but he keeps selling? There are people that do hate his writing, but obviously a lot of people do not. Popularity only carries a book so far. If I order a steak, and I'm served dog food, I don't just eat it because I was hoping to get steak, and I sure don't order it a second time.

But Slott's been giving people comics for years, and people keep coming back to them. He's obviously doing something to sell. If people don't like what their reading, they will stop reading it.

My whole point is that a ton of people like Slott's Spider-Man enough to continuine buying it for years, regardless of the hate that's seen on the internet, and specifically this site. It's a vocal minority that hates Slott. I'm not saying the minority doesn't have reasons to hate his writing, only that it is a minority.

It's the same thing with writers like Bendis. I'm vocal about how Bendis treats the characters I love with no respect too, but I understand that I'm part of the minority, since his books always do sell.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@ursaber: I'm not trying to say your complaints are not valid, because I agree with them. But for how long can we say that everyone hates Slott, but he keeps selling? There are people that do hate his writing, but obviously a lot of people do not. Popularity only carries a book so far. If I order a steak, and I'm served dog food, I don't just eat it because I was hoping to get steak, and I sure don't order it a second time.

But Slott's been giving people comics for years, and people keep coming back to them. He's obviously doing something to sell. If people don't like what their reading, they will stop reading it.

My whole point is that a ton of people like Slott's Spider-Man enough to continue buying it for years, regardless of the hate that's seen on the internet, and specifically this site. It's a vocal minority that hates Slott. I'm not saying the minority doesn't have reasons to hate his writing, only that it is a minority.

Understood.

But know this, the MAJORITY CAN/COULD BE WRONG.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I do not disagree with you on that one bit. I also want you to know that I don't criticize you or anyone else for voicing their displeasure of Marvel's choices. I actually encourage it. I was only commenting on how those of us who do complain, are in a minority at this point in time. Maybe (hopefully) that will change with time.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ursaber

@tparks said:

@ursaber: I do not disagree with you on that one bit. I also want you to know that I don't criticize you or anyone else for voicing their displeasure of Marvel's choices. I actually encourage it. I was only commenting on how those of us who do complain, are in a minority at this point in time. Maybe (hopefully) that will change with time.

Again, understood and thanks for offering your standing and honest and completely valid and valuable opinion.

But know that the tide has already began to shift.

Check this out from page 375 of the Spider Man Comics Discussion

DC COMICS STILL DOMINATES OCTOBER SALES

Here folks, there is this page above of Comic Book News talking about the sale charts of October and says how despite the huge sales of Champions #1 and the dominance in the sales for retailers, shows how the numbers of Champions are artificial and the comic book is flopping at the comic book stores. They also quoted Bleeding Cool reports of the retailers about the launches of November. We all commented this in this forum and saw that in other news, but...

Just look to that quote:

The fact is, comic book readers are finally realizing (something Marvel COSMIC fans did with the cancellation of DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova), that the people that run Marvel Comics don't care about their readers or the fans. Marvel Comics is pushing a certain agenda, led by Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter, Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Axel Alonso, Tom Brevoort, Brian Bendis and Jeph Loeb, which sees classic Marvel characters replaced or all-together forgotten. Sales for Marvel Comics are dwindling, and none of their series (save maybe Spider-Man), can last longer than a dozen or so issues (sometimes a lot less). Is there any wonder why Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige booted Marvel Comics from being involved with the movies? Everything they touch turns to garbage.

@zariusii said:

Time to play our usual game of "Gee, What's Missing?", but this time with a twist

"Gee, What's Missing", and "Gee, What IS'NT?"

LS/TPs

PublicationPricePublisher
    STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #1$4.99MAR
    UNWORTHY THOR #2 (OF 5)$3.99MAR
    BATMAN TP VOL 01 I AM GOTHAM (REBIRTH)$16.99DC
    MOTOR CRUSH #1 CVR A TARR$3.99IMA
    AD AFTER DEATH BOOK 02 (OF 3)$5.99IMA
    MOTOR CRUSH #1 CVR B STEWART$3.99IMA
    NOW HAWKEYE #1$3.99MAR
    UNWORTHY THOR #1 (OF 5) 2ND PTG COIPEL VAR NOW$3.99MAR
    AQUAMAN TP VOL 01 THE DROWNING (REBIRTH)$16.99DC
    OLD MAN LOGAN #15$3.99MAR
    RAVEN #1 (OF 6) 2ND PTG$2.99DC
    STAR WARS TP VOL 04 LAST FLIGHT OF THE HARBINGER$19.99MAR
    DOCTOR STRANGE PUNISHER MAGIC BULLETS #1 (OF 4) MALEEV VAR$4.99MAR
    BLACK PANTHER #9$3.99MAR
    NOW NOVA #1$3.99MAR
    AVENGERS #1 2ND PTG ALEX ROSS VAR NOW$4.99MAR
    ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM #3 (OF 5)$3.99MAR
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN RENEW YOUR VOWS #2$3.99MAR
    JESSICA JONES #3$3.99MAR
    SUPERMAN #12$2.99DC
    AVENGERS #2$3.99MAR
    CHAMPIONS #2 2ND PTG RAMOS VAR$3.99MAR
    BATMAN #12$2.99DC
    WONDER WOMAN 77 BIONIC WOMAN #1 (OF 6) CVR B ROSS$3.99DYN
    STEVEN UNIVERSE & CRYSTAL GEMS TP VOL 01 (C: 1-1-2)$14.99BOO

No Amazing Spider Man or Clone Conspiracy orders from retailers

@zariusii said:

More crucially, no "game changing status quo altering" third issue of Clone Conspiracy listed there at all. Alarm bells Mr. Slott, more retailers are interested in Mr and Mrs. Parker and their kid kicking ass than seeing you routinely have Peter's ass kicked and tempted by shoddy offers the real Peter would shake off in a heartbeat.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are probably getting sick of it by now. At first, some people continued to buy the comic after OMD thinking things would get better...then they got Slott who changed things. Ya know...it's like you eat TacoBell for 5 years then are given McDonalds. It's not any better, it's just different from what you are sick and tired of. Most likley, you are going to enjoy that BigMac far more than that chalupa. You enjoy it cause it's all you are given...cause if there was the chance, you'd be going to a nice resturant....and people are finally realizing they are in this scenario.

Seemed that when I first started on here, a lot of critics were praising Slott while I went to cons and other places, most people spoke displeasure. Now it seems that most critics have given up on Slott and are now agreeing with what most people say, that he kinda sucks. Sure he probably rocks when writing Batman but he isn't a Spider-Man writer.

Maybe he is just being used by the higher ups to bore people about spider-man so they can replace him. They seem to be doing that presently with other characters and I heard somwhere that Stan Lee has shared displeasure in this and would rather Marvel do the more LOGICAL THING which make diverse characters unique and their own original persona to help grow a new fanbase instead of destroying historical long lasting characters to place new diverse people within.

I love how RYV is already getting high praise and people are buying multiple copies. YOU CAN'T SHUT US UP ANYMORE MARVEL!!!

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: I think your right dude. Alot are getting tired of Slott's crap.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And word came down today that RYV will go to a second printing in late December

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By clonesaga2099

I don't hate Slott because that would require more effort from me than his writing deserves. No point getting too mad about Slott's writing when it's obvious he doesn't even put any effort into his writing.

He's a very boring and extremely lazy writer.

He probably doesn't even want to write Spider-Man, he's only sticking around for the money and a chance to promote his new characters who are about as interesting as drying paint when he writes them. He's too lazy to even try developing them. He does a crap job and lets a competent writer try to make something passable from garbage. Meanwhile he'll get the credit as their creator if they get popular.

Slott is a lazy hack and a fraud. His writing is not worth anyone's time.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Slott because that would require more effort from me than his writing deserves. No point getting too mad about Slott's writing when it's obvious he doesn't even put any effort into his writing.

He probably doesn't even want to write Spider-Man, he's only sticking around for the money and a chance to promote his new characters who are about as interesting as drying paint when he writes them. He's too lazy to even try developing them. He does a crap job and lets a competent writer try to make something passable from garbage. Meanwhile he'll get the credit as their creator if they get popular.

WELL SAID.

Your statement is something fresh when criticizing Slott. Well done and very true. Sadly his disrespect for Spider Man really gets to me and many others so he's not easy to ignore no matter what.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I agree 100%. His ideas are plagiarized anyway, not a single iota of originality in his work. I have never understood the appeal of his campy amateurish style of writing which is so much better suited to kiddie cartoon books like Ren & Stimpy, not the super-hero genre.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonesaga2099: I don't hate Slott because that would require more effort from me than his writing deserves. No point getting too mad about Slott's writing when it's obvious he doesn't even put any effort into his writing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is excellently said and a 100000% true.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Wouldn't Call Slott Lazy Or A Plagarist(SomeWhat). But, He's More Of A Trollish Writer Messing With The Fans After Getting Criticized Several Times Or Just Some Guy Whose Just Desparate To Wow Us Trying To Be More "Original" .

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ItsaWorld

@ursaber said:
    No Caption Provided

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Wouldn't Call Slott Lazy Or A Plagarist(SomeWhat). But, He's More Of A Trollish Writer Messing With The Fans After Getting Criticized Several Times Or Just Some Guy Whose Just Desparate To Wow Us Trying To Be More "Original" .

I don't think he is a plagiarist, despite very much of his work is heavily based in past stories and concepts, some from Spider-Man and others from other comics. But I would definitely call him lazy, unprofessional at minimum.

He is writer that have many fundamental flaws, mainly in the dialogue, but also in character development (mainly his own original characters), he is awful writing romance and developing female characters.

But, his biggest flaw is actually his own personality and his incapacity of control his worst impulses. He is extremely narcissistic and it have big influence in his work, he just ignore or stomp everything past creator did, just to replace with his own creations, no matter how good and well loved the past things are and how awful and uninspired his stuff is. We can see how much his Pet creations just take the spotlight, all in detriment of the story and mainly of Peter. Other comic writers also had their pets, like Roger Stern's Monica Rambeau and Jeph Loeb's Red Hulk, but Slott is the worst offender of all. And talking about the protagonist, the way he leads Peter is horrible, he always downplay and trashes him in every way, either is because his wicked vision about the character, or to promote his pets or just to anger the fans. No creative decision should be made just because of ego or to troll the fans. I also blame the editorial that lets him do such things, it is remarkable how Marvel editorial is so unprofessional and unconcerned with quality.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92 said:

I don't think he is a plagiarist, despite very much of his work is heavily based in past stories and concepts, some from Spider-Man and others from other comics. But I would definitely call him lazy, unprofessional at minimum.

He is writer that have many fundamental flaws, mainly in the dialogue, but also in character development (mainly his own original characters), he is awful writing romance and developing female characters.

But, his biggest flaw is actually his own personality and his incapacity of control his worst impulses. He is extremely narcissistic and it have big influence in his work, he just ignore or stomp everything past creator did, just to replace with his own creations, no matter how good and well loved the past things are and how awful and uninspired his stuff is. We can see how much his Pet creations just take the spotlight, all in detriment of the story and mainly of Peter. Other comic writers also had their pets, like Roger Stern's Monica Rambeau and Jeph Loeb's Red Hulk, but Slott is the worst offender of all. And talking about the protagonist, the way he leads Peter is horrible, he always downplay and trashes him in every way, either is because his wicked vision about the character, or to promote his pets or just to anger the fans. No creative decision should be made just because of ego or to troll the fans. I also blame the editorial that lets him do such things, it is remarkable how Marvel editorial is so unprofessional and unconcerned with quality.

He killed Peter consecutively in ASM 20 and ASM 21. First by Ock in a mindscape and then by Carrion clones in an AU. He really enjoys killing Peter.

No Caption Provided

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't understand what people like in his writing in Spider-Man. Seriously, and this is because I never saw they saying why. I saw a lot of people at forums online saying that "he is awesome", "his run is great" and "he is the best Spider-Man writer evah!", however they never say WHY. I think I saw much more people that hate his work mentioning specifically his strengths and acknowledging some of his qualities (just before making a huge list of his flaws as a writer just to make a balanced critic) than people that say that love what he produce.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MarvelMan92

@blacksuit said:

I really don't understand what people like in his writing in Spider-Man. Seriously, and this is because I never saw they saying why. I saw a lot of people at forums online saying that "he is awesome", "his run is great" and "he is the best Spider-Man writer evah!", however they never say WHY. I think I saw much more people that hate his work mentioning specifically his strengths and acknowledging some of his qualities (just before making a huge list of his flaws as a writer just to make a balanced critic) than people that say that love what he produce.

I Would Say That He Was Good And Great At Times Pre Superior(And Alpha, No Turning Back, And A Few Others). His Arcs Like No Ones Dies And The Hunt For Betty's Attack Were Good Psychological Arcs For The Character Being More Convincing As A Human (A Word I Never Thought Of Using In A Slott Book) And At Least Made Some Use To His Abilities. But Now He's Just Eh To Really Bad And Really Embarressing To Read. His Work Just Feels More Like a Poor Man's Fanfiction Trying To Not Only Make Peter Look Bad But His Supporting Casts As Well Making HIS Characters And The Villains(Really? The Villains?) Look Good. I Thought Clone Conspiracy Would Be The Only Good Or At Least Decent Arc From The Guy But It Just Turned Into Yet Again Another Desperate Attempt To "Wow" The Fans And Readers Into Being More "Original".

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ursaber

@marvelman92: @blacksuit: he's outdated. he's been at this far too long. i admit that pre Superior his content was sufficiently good (save for the George RR Martin serial killing of a ton of Spidey supporting cast such as Silver Sable) and if Superior had ended with Peter getting his body back earlier and ending up with MJ again and ending his run there, he would've gone in history as a great spider man writer. However he gave us the finger in Superior and then took a dump on everything we held dear in Volumes 3 and 4. As of today his only good Spidey comic is Secret Wars RYV. He's a washed up has been writing crappy fan fic.

But now he is:

No Caption Provided

Just like Quesada

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the perspective of someone who wasn't using this site during Superior, This was my first and only run of Spider-Man and I loved it to the core...the concept itself was just so brilliant and the execution was too. If any other writer would have been behind it, they would surely have made the villain ruin Peter's life and not improve it.

So, there is a lot of love for his writing, but he isn't loved by long time readers..He is more of a jumping on point for Spidey as he is here to stay and he is a good writer...Whether you agree with me or not is your personal opinion.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ZariusII

@abdullahzubair said:

From the perspective of someone who wasn't using this site during Superior, This was my first and only run of Spider-Man and I loved it to the core...the concept itself was just so brilliant and the execution was too. If any other writer would have been behind it, they would surely have made the villain ruin Peter's life and not improve it.

So, there is a lot of love for his writing, but he isn't loved by long time readers..He is more of a jumping on point for Spidey as he is here to stay and he is a good writer...Whether you agree with me or not is your personal opinion.

Loading Video...

Superior is pure cancer that made an idiot out of just about everybody that wasn't Doc Ock or an original creation in Anna Maria or the avatar for Quesada's daughter Carlie Cooper. Black Cat was ruined, MJ was ruined, Peter was made to look like a dipstick who had to be handed his body back at the eleventh hour rather than put up a fight for it himself. Ock didn't "improve" Peter's life at all, him taking credit for something he didn't earn is not an "improvement", it's a cheat, and it's irresponsible. Parker Industries is being phased out next year anyway.

Slott specialises in deconstructing the mythos, not embracing and making the most out of them. Nothing "good" about that. It's pretty telling your only experience with Spidey is the Superior run...because if you were a real long-term fan instead of a casual, you'd realise just how objectively bad this run was and how damaging it was.

Once more, another instance of a Slott apologist saying he's a good writer, but not proving it with any concrete reasons or examples.

Nobody lasts forever, one day Slott will be gone, and hopefully so will the stain he's left on the title.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.