Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is J.Jonah Jameson an arachnophobe?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

I have long wondered as to the reasons for the almost obsessive hatred exhibited for Spider-Man( and to a lesser extent other superheroes) by Daily Bugle publisher/editor J.Jonah Jameson- I think it may be rooted in a common phobia, arachnophobia(morbid fear/hatred of spiders and other insects like scorpions).

Anybody think as I do?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

Nah. He's just a jerk. People with arachnophobia hate spiders because they're hideous and scary, not because the spin webs and stick to walls. Hating spiders would be a very silly reason to hate Spider-Man. I have a crippling fear of spiders and there's nothing Spidey does that reminds me of them. He's more like a superpowered ninja in a goofy costume who whines a lot.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By DarkChris

He's also jealous of him.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

That would be hilarious but probably not

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ARMIV2

He's no arachnophobe as far as I know, but I do believe he suffers from "I'majerkasaurusitis".

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Paracelsus
    you forgot that he was responsible for the creation of Scorpion. So arachnophobia is out of question.
    HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Paracelsus

Yes, but that doesn't explain the almost psychotic hatred Jameson exhibits towards Spider -man( even other spider-themed heroes- Black Widow or Spider-Woman don't attract that kind of hatred from JJJ). Opposition to vigilanteism can also NOT be the reason( he seems not to dislike Captain America, Daredevil, the X-Men- several of whose members wear masks to such an obsessive extent)-after all Spider-Man unlike the Punisher is NOT a killer!

Terry

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LP

@Joygirl said:

I have a crippling fear of spiders and there's nothing Spidey does that reminds me of them. He's more like a superpowered ninja in a goofy costume who whines a lot.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By mewmdude77

I believe the reason from AMZ #10 is not the real reason anymore. In Spider-Man's Tangled Web Volume 4, there's a story where JJJ has another heart attack and had to go to a psychiatrist, because if he didn't, the Bugle would make him pay his own hospital bill. So he goes to the psychiatrists office, and annoys him to the point where the psychiatrist uses hypnosis on him. In Jameson's youth, he had a lot of problems with his strict father. The doctor asks Jameson if he's ever heard of God/father transference, and then when JJ says he hasn't, the psychiatrist explains that many people's concept of God is shaped by their father, so if a child is abused by their father, like Jameson was, they believe God will punish them too. Then the psychiatrist says super heroes have replaced God in the Social conscience. So the psychiatrist is insinuating that since Spider-Man was the first hero to appear in a mask, no one knowing who he was, (the FF never hid their identities in masks, so they would not receive the transference) so maybe Jameson saw his Father in Spidey, and was afraid he would punish people, and he hated Spidey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.