Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is it worth starting at the beginning?

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theQman121

I'm new to comics, as I've said probably one too many times throughout the site. I felt the DC New 52 would give me a good place to start, but that doesn't cover Marvel, obviously.  

I was always a big fan of Spider-Man as a kid. I don't know why, but I was. I loved the movies that matter (meaning not 3), and think if I read comics, it's only fair I read Spider-Man, no matter what's going on. I've heard limited things about the current goings on, and would like to read up to that point. 

The real question, though, is (taking money or availability out of the question, taking only the comics themselves into account) is it worth it to read from Amazing Spider-Man #1 or is there a place I should jump on instead. I hear Ultimate Spider-Man thrown around sometimes, but I want to start with the "main" story. 

Thanks so much!

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrUnknown
    @theQman121: No it's not, you should just start from the current arc and read previous stories as you generate enough interest for them. So you should most certainly not worry about reading out of order! :>
    theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theQman121

I'm thinking of reading the Venom issues that came out recently, and I heard those will factor into Spider-Island. Is there anywhere I should start to get into that, or should I start right with ASM 666?

Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Comicfan47

Start around Maximum Carnage and work your way up, just read the big main stories then really start at Back and Black and read every thing from then up to date then you will be good. To start from the very beginning would probably be very long so just look up some stuff you didn't know about him on Comic Vine. That's what I did.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @theQman121 said:
    I'm new to comics, as I've said probably one too many times throughout the site. I felt the DC New 52 would give me a good place to start, but that doesn't cover Marvel, obviously.   I was always a big fan of Spider-Man as a kid. I don't know why, but I was. I loved the movies that matter (meaning not 3), and think if I read comics, it's only fair I read Spider-Man, no matter what's going on. I've heard limited things about the current goings on, and would like to read up to that point.  The real question, though, is (taking money or availability out of the question, taking only the comics themselves into account) is it worth it to read from Amazing Spider-Man #1 or is there a place I should jump on instead. I hear Ultimate Spider-Man thrown around sometimes, but I want to start with the "main" story.  Thanks so much!
    unless your a hardcore fan, you should only go back as far as the orignal john romita's run
    theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By theQman121

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm thinking I could read starting with more current issues while going back and reading older issues between. I'm aware that I may be missing out on some information that way, but there shouldn't be anything holding me back, should there? Even if I don't understand everything, it won't be so bad I don't understand anything at all will it? I got the free daily bugle Spider-Island preview, and might start checking down that checklist if that isn't too crazy to do.

spidey1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spidey1fan

i would do it. I have actually done it and its better to start at the beginning. Otherwise there will be points you may not quite understand and you get the full experience. Then again only do this if you plan on actually taking spiderman as a serious title where you will read it each month and become a  fan. If he is a serious character to you then i say read it from the start. You get to see how he evolves through life and the decisions he has to make. PM me if this helps and you actually want to read alot of them can help you out with that.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By iaconpoint
    @theQman121 said:
    I'm new to comics, as I've said probably one too many times throughout the site. I felt the DC New 52 would give me a good place to start, but that doesn't cover Marvel, obviously.   I was always a big fan of Spider-Man as a kid. I don't know why, but I was. I loved the movies that matter (meaning not 3), and think if I read comics, it's only fair I read Spider-Man, no matter what's going on. I've heard limited things about the current goings on, and would like to read up to that point.  The real question, though, is (taking money or availability out of the question, taking only the comics themselves into account) is it worth it to read from Amazing Spider-Man #1 or is there a place I should jump on instead. I hear Ultimate Spider-Man thrown around sometimes, but I want to start with the "main" story.  Thanks so much!
    YES! There are enough cheap reprints out there to start at the beginning. Besides Venom and Hobgoblin, Spider-Man's greatest villains were all created in the first 20 issues. Beyond that there were lots of great street-level stories created by Stan and Steve, then Stan and John.  
    spidey1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spidey1fan
    @iaconpoint said:
    @theQman121 said:
    YES! There are enough cheap reprints out there to start at the beginning. Besides Venom and Hobgoblin, Spider-Man's greatest villains were all created in the first 20 issues. Beyond that there were lots of great street-level stories created by Stan and Steve, then Stan and John.  
    this alot of his enemies did come out early. You will also miss great stories for example issues 121-122 and other stories with villains like electro, scorpion, sandman, doctor octopus, hob goblin, lizard, mysterio and chameleon

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.