Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is a Spider-Man reboot such a bad idea?

g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Edited By g33ky monk3y

I’ve been thinking about the Spider-Man reboot lately. The online community seems to be a little divided, should there be a reboot? Some bloggers are ready to rip into Sony/Columbia for dumping Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire (along with Kirsten Dunst, etc).

Unrelated to this train of thought, I went back to watch the first two SM movies again, I refuse to ever again see the travesty that was Spider-Man 3. At the end of SM1 I saw and remembered what I liked so much about the series. At the same time, I saw a lot of things that rubbed me the wrong way. I went to see this movie in the theater with all of my friends. I remember what an awesome experience it was. We all enjoyed every second of Maguire’s Peter Parker and Willem Dafoe’s Power Ranger inspired Green Goblin costume. Now though, I’m trying to figure out why I liked that shiny green suit. For that matter, what was so amazing about Tobey Maguire? He constantly has this goober expression plastered across his face, and his voice always seemed strained.

Maguire at SM3 premiere
    Maguire at SM3 premiere

These are not characteristics of Peter that Maguire infused into his performance. The actor normally sounds and looks like this. It’s a wonder that he has won or has been nominated for so many Best Actor awards. I like him and his movies, but he’s not a great actor. I don’t feel bad that he won’t be in any more Spider-Man films.

Other issues that show up throughout the series is the downplaying of Peter Parker’s genius. At least in the first movie. They tried to recover in the second flick with his short scenes with Dr. Octavius. This sudden display of brain power makes no sense because they glossed over that in SM1. Someone mentioned that Parker’s bio web shooters replaced his mechanical shooters because it made more sense. A teenager shouldn’t have created a sticky formula for glue like substance that 3M would kill for. But that is what made Parker a genius! He is one of the smartest guys running around in the Marvel universe! Not like Reed Richards or Tony Stark, but he was in the same ballpark at least.

Jumping back over to actor’s portrayals, J.K. Simmons is a great actor, but he was horrible as J. Jonah Jameson. JJJ is a mean guy that you shouldn’t cross; Simmons came off as campy. Considering the actor, this camp is mostly like attributed to director Sam Raimi.

Raimi, again another person that I like. I also realize that without Raimi doing Spider-Man, we most likely wouldn’t have other comic book movies. On the other hand, Raimi’s SM series is extremely campy. There’s funny, and then there’s campy. Spider-Man 3 is what happens if that goes unchecked.

Garfield announced as Parker/Spider-Man
    Garfield announced as Parker/Spider-Man

Finally I come back around to the original topic: the Spider-Man reboot. Marc Webb has a unique style to his filmmaking, and he has a nice eye for what looks good. Andrew Garfield is an amazing actor, if a little old for the usually younger Peter Parker. It’s a good thing he kind of has a baby face. The interwebs ran wild with the rumor of Emma Stone getting the Mary Jane Watson role, but then we finally got the confirmation that she was cast as the main love interest Gwen Stacy. This isn’t a bad thing, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Stone is cute and has a fun personality. Watch Zombieland, you’ll see. Although, because of this, maybe she would have been better off as Mary Jane instead of the prim and proper Gwen.

Stone, she's so Stacy
    Stone, she's so Stacy

One of the biggest improvements with this project is the inclusion of Marvel’s talent, aka the writers. DC movies keep the comic books they’re based on at arm’s length, and have little to no communication with the comic guys. Iron Man, Thor, this Spider-Man movie, they all asked the writers to be a part of the filmmaking process. This puts the Marvel crew as advisors to the film.

Why can’t DC do that? That will cut down on the whole muscle look to the Green Lantern’s costume, the red velvet look of Superman’s cape, the illegitimate child of Superman and Lois, the “no powers” approach to Nolan’s Batman world. If the people that make the comic books are more involved with the movies, maybe we would end up with better comic book movies.

Going back to Spider-Man. Overall, I wish Sony/Columbia was not rebooting Spider-Man. I would rather they just progress the story, but with a new cast and crew. On the other hand, with a reboot, they get the love triangle of Gwen, Peter, and Mary Jane. They get another crack at Dr. Octopus (not that stupid Doc Ock). Another chance of a beefier Venom, not the slim and awkward Topher Grace, who would have been better off as Peter Parker. They can get a more goblin-like Green Goblin, along with the pivotal character development of Peter with the death of Gwen at the bridge.

That sounded more morbid than I intended. I just mean that a reboot is not a horrible idea. It will be nice to see what a new crew can do with the web head.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rudyftw
    I think a reboot is a good idea, but not this soon.

Nice article btw ... I was nodding my head until you went on your rant about D.C movies.... 

Lets not forget which side made the Daredevil and Electra movies....

Your argument is invalid because of this ^
    g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By g33ky monk3y
    @Rudyftw: 

Ah-ha, see, DD and Electra were by Fox, so in a sense those are not really Marvel movies. I’m putting another post together about Marvel and DC movies which goes deeper into that.    

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Rudyftw said:
    "

Nice article btw ... I was nodding my head until you went on your rant about D.C movies.... 

"
    DC doesn't make good movies either.Remember which side made Batman & Robin & Superman Returns.
    g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By g33ky monk3y
    @Vance Astro: 
    Batman & Robin... what were they thinking? There is nothing positive I can say about that movie.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Vance Astro said:

" @Rudyftw said:

"

"
    DC doesn't make good movies either.Remember which side made Batman & Robin & Superman Returns. "
    To me the only thing that ruined Superman Returns was that blasted kid.... -__-

As for Spider-Man, I'm glad they're making a reboot and actually trying to do things right, with Peter still being in high school, having the web-shooters, Gwen Stacy being his first love interest instead of MJ, and above all of these things, no more freakin' Kirsten "whinny-butt" Dunst.
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rudyftw
    @Vance Astro said:
    DC doesn't make good movies either.Remember which side made Batman & Robin & Superman Returns. "
    We do have Batman & Robin under our belts, but lets be realistic here.... I'd rather sit and watch Superman Returns and Batman and Robin than Elektra.

And ever seen Batman Returns? That movie brings justice to D.C, I cant remember the last time I saw a pretty good Marvel movie.

@War Killer said: 
    To me the only thing that ruined Superman Returns was that blasted kid.... -__-As for Spider-Man, I'm glad they're making a reboot and actually trying to do things right, with Peter still being in high school, having the web-shooters, Gwen Stacy being his first love interest instead of MJ, and above all of these things, no more freakin' Kirsten "whinny-butt" Dunst. "
    She has small teeth O_o

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Kairan1979

I think a reboot is a good idea. Never liked Macguire as Peter Parker or Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Duo_forbidden
    @Rudyftw said:
    "
    "
    thewidowsbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thewidowsbite

I actually did enjoy Macguire as Peter, and while I agree it's a little too soon for a reboot, I kind of like the idea. What irked me about the original films was that Mary Jane was Peter's first love instead of Gwen and he has organic web shooter rather than the mechanical ones. Those two rather important aspects of the Spider-Mam mythos was rather stomped to the ground and disregarded but I feel like the reboot might do the story some justice. Besides once I saw Emma Stone was going to be in it, all reservation was thrown to the wind...
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

I don't think it's a bad idea, but they're doing it way too fast. At least wait like 5 to 10 years until you decide to reboot the whole thing. 

inkBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By inkBot

If by 'reboot' you mean completely re-establish the character, then yes, I think it's a really bad idea. Because they're wasting screen time telling the origin when everybody knows it (I'll never stop harping on this, I can't help it). If they'd just made another movie, that'd be another thing.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

if it had been just one bad movie, then i would have been okay with continuing the series,but it was 3 horrible movies. 3 HORRIIBLE MOVIES.  

they turned mary jane into the typical no personality damsel in distress, Peter into an emo, harry into a cockblocking dill-weed, Green Goblin into a power ranger, turned venom into a punk, and Gwen into the "Other Woman".....Mary Jane's supposed to be the other woman. ilked the casting for uncle ben, aunt may, and JJJ.

Peter should only be allowed to act like an emo before he gets his powers or when someone gets killed.
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By muhabba
    @inkBot said:
    If by 'reboot' you mean completely re-establish the character, then yes, I think it's a really bad idea. Because they're wasting screen time telling the origin when everybody knows it (I'll never stop harping on this, I can't help it). If they'd just made another movie, that'd be another thing.
    I agree.  I don't think they need a new "origin" movie since his origin is already established.  They could quickly gloss over the origin, just to show how it's diffrent than the previous movies but not a whole, new, origin movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.