Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I'm new to spiderman comics. Where do I start?

CoolMarquis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CoolMarquis97

If I've never read a single comic book about spider-man, what comicbooks should I read first?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

The Poet and group of other users (including myself) are making a list of the best Spider-Man stories ever so when that's finished I recommend trying some stuff from there.

For now I recommend you get caught up on recent events with the new Spidey as the volume only started recently, here is a link :)

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Ninjablade09

I suggest early Amazing Spider-man back when Stan Lee was writing. You can find those in Marvel Masterworks. I also say if you want more recent Spider-man stories read Ultimate Spider-man 1-160. It's a more modern version of the character about 10 years old. Spider-men was really good. If you want the current Spidey, Superior Spider-man 1 came out in January. It's not great for older Spider-man fans but if you have never read Spider-man before it would be a decent read. If you decide to read Superior I suggest you read Amazing Spider-man 698-690 and Avenging Spider-man (which is also great) 15.1 to get you up to speed. Hope this helps and enjoy what you read.

CoolMarquis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CoolMarquis97

Thank you both!

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Humanoid

Look for the Spider-Man: Platinum Collection TPB.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ninjablade09

@CoolMarquis97: No problem, but one thing what aspect of the character really draws you in. I could make some more suggestions that center around that aspect.

CoolMarquis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CoolMarquis97

@Ninjablade09 said:

@CoolMarquis97: No problem, but one thing what aspect of the character really draws you in. I could make some more suggestions that center around that aspect.

I'm starting to like the more "smart-mouthed" spider-man.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ninjablade09

@CoolMarquis97 said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

I'm starting to like the more "smart-mouthed" spider-man.

Then defiantly read Ultimate Spider-man no matter what is going on he normally jokes. A really great story was The Night Gwen Stacy died. I suggest you read that because it is rumored Miss Stacy will die in Amazing Spider-man 2 or 3. Most Spidey stories are funny so you wont have to worry about that. Just worry about the weird placing of jokes in recent stories. J. Michael Straczynski's run was really good.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By consolemaster001

@CoolMarquis97 said:

If I've never read a single comic book about spider-man, what comicbooks should I read first?

To catch up on current events read 698-700 and the new superior series. Also recommend

Back in black

JMS's run

Grim hunt

Kraven's last hunt

Death of gwen stacy

Death of jean de wolf

Nothing can stop the juggernaut

If this be my destiny...

Spider-Man no more !

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Start from Amazing Fantasy #15.

deathbymanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deathbymanga

i would suggest anything with spiderman's name in it

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

Just look up the Name Brian Michael Bendis, he's written Spider-Man titles for some time now. Other then that there is Sam Raimi's Movies, the new movie " The Amazing Spider-man". Basically start with " Ultimate Spider-Man issue 1" Which transitions into " Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man" which isn't Peter Parker its Miles Morales. Read and watch all that and your be considered spectacular bonafide Spider-Fan

No Caption Provided
    DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DurararaFTW

For Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man is actually really good I understand. Also any of the animated series. Superior Spider-Man is a good jumping on point too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.