Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I'm Glad They're Not Together Anymore

kirei_gaisuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kirei_gaisuto

Ok, I'm not at all a fan of the Brand New Day Retcon. But I really like that Peter and Mary Jane aren't together anymore. Not because I don't like Mary Jane. Oh no. She's cool. It's because I feel like she could do a lot better. Peter's not a very good husband. He tends to disappear whenever something's bothering him, leaving MJ to worry about him and deal with the problem on her own.

I really wish they had just split up though. Regardless of how anyone feels about the end of the relationship itself, a normal split is better than changing the entire timeline.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Kairan1979

I'm glad they are not together anymore. Never liked them as a couple and hoped that Gwen Stacy somehow returns.
    But I agree that changing the timeline in OMD/BND is overkill.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By azza04

Peter is only human, to criticise him for sometimes needing a time out is wrong. There is know doubting that MJ was a devoted and loving wife, but again she wasn't perfect, she made mistakes in their relationship. And MJ could do better than Peter?? Maybe, but Peter is a hero who has devoted his life to helping others. Seems like a pretty dam good guy to me.

But you're right about the Brand New Day Retcon, is was OTT and unnecessary. 

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ngroove
    @kirei_gaisuto: 

@kirei_gaisuto

said:

"But I really like that Peter and Mary Jane aren't together anymore. Not because I don't like Mary Jane. Oh no. She's cool. It's because I feel like she could do a lot better. Peter's not a very good husband. He tends to disappear whenever something's bothering him, leaving MJ to worry about him and deal with the problem on her own. "

Lemme guess, if there's a situation where Peter / MJ is on a lunch date, then outta nowhere, some renegade Atlantean, maybe Krang or Attuma's, forces comes to ravage the city.   Or Rhino, in another one of his many rampages.   Or Lizard, with his reptile army in the name of "reptilian dominance".   Or Carnage, killin' people, in front of his eyes!  Would you have Petey actually keeping his date, while the city, possibly / probably some lives, destroyed?    
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RedK

i too never liked MJ and Peter as a couple, always thought that he can do way better

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ngroove
    @RedK said:

"i too never liked MJ and Peter as a couple, always thought that he can do way better "

MJ is a supermodel....who would you assume "is better" really....also keeping in mind, Peter was often a low-paid freelance for the Daily Bugle, and often ( in Marvel's way of saying he's realistic to us, the readers) a loser...
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By zombietag
    @ngroove said:
    " @RedK said:

"i too never liked MJ and Peter as a couple, always thought that he can do way better "

MJ is a supermodel....who would you assume "is better" really....also keeping in mind, Peter was often a low-paid freelance for the Daily Bugle, and often ( in Marvel's way of saying he's realistic to us, the readers) a loser... "
    to be honest, i almost never agree with your posts ngroove (which is fine, just different opinions), but you are completely right here
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By muhabba

I always liked the relationship myself, but I agree Retconing everything was over the top. I think if the Powers That Be wanted them to not be a couple any more there were better ways.  The premire super-hero of the Marvel Comics made a deal with the devil for crying out loud.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.