Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I want to bring something up....

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jimishim12

Poll I want to bring something up.... (17 votes)

Spiderman is amazing or foolish 12%
    Amazing 59%
    Foolish 29%

It's closed but due to the flame chain comments but it did bring up some points I agree with despite it being a total spidey bash thread. I do want to know, if Spider-Man is so Amazing, and he's is this despite the horrible tragedies in his life(deaths and letting people die), why doesn't he have a man's "amazing" conviction to those events. He cries and moans and puts the blame on others and himself instead of let handling the despair with sheer determination and pluckiness, really he should be less hard on himself and more adjustable to death by now thanks to his experience over the years, but he constantly whines about being helpless and wangsts about doing nothing about it even if it never even directly was his fault.

A lot of fans want Spidey to be mature and well moderate in manhood and in life with bigger responsibilities and priorities both personal and general but, he's still written as a ignorant simple minded kid with a naïve outlook instead of a realistically accustomed understandable man with a clear sense of the real world; both good and bad. So every time people call Spider-Man a relatable person who is basically as real as you and I, theres the writing that contradicts Spider-Man's actual concept from an actual real life man and a idealistic man child who's title doesn't match his beliefs because any of us can be as flawed as Spidey but those flaws aren't suppose to embody a childish perspective on justice and morality, and men can actually relate to other characters who embody the convienance of what it takes for human beings to uphold heroism as an adult.

Cap and Spidey are two of the most moral pure heroes in the Marvel U, so why is it that Steve looks so much better being the man with the divine values of hope and goodwill while Spidey looks like a over compensating kid in a mans body looking much more impractical. Because writing dictates that Peter compared to Steve is a child and a underwhelming person to be a moral example due to you know him always screwing up but trying his best anyways which is like saying a for effort but f for attempt.

• 
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jimishim12

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Are you asking if he's foolish, being written foolishly or do we believe he's foolish because of how he's written?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zarius

Depends on the writer's attitude. Guys like Stan, Stern, DeMatties, JMS, and DeFalco knew how to handle Peter as an adult. Slott specializes in character assassination/deconstruction and believes Peter to be someone who "can't kick the football" like with Charlie Brown (forgetting that in many instances, Charlie Brown has achieved things like kicking the football and even dating the red-haired girl)

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Well it kinda depends on the writer and the plot. Something I've noticed, is that, most writers in the modern era (notably in the Joe Quesada era) like to write Peter as an underdog who struggles to make ends meet, and they consider that aspect of the character to be one of his biggest charms, and therefore that makes him sympathetic. According to those writers, if you make Peter a responsible and well adjusted adult, then he's no longer an underdog, and therefore loses a large part of what makes him who he is (again, according to those writers). Now, making Peter an underdog us admittedly to me one of his shining aspects, but he can still have his life together to a certain extent, and modern writers have explored that aspects but inconsistently and temporarily. For example, in Slott's Big Time era, Peter did have his life together to a certain extent, but fast forward now, despite having his own company, can't seem to control his own life or even get the respect of his own employees.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK that sucks I clicked amazing and vote and it went foolish. Spider man is the best hero ever

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

Depends on the writer's attitude. Guys like Stan, Stern, DeMatties, JMS, and DeFalco knew how to handle Peter as an adult. Slott specializes in character assassination/deconstruction and believes Peter to be someone who "can't kick the football" like with Charlie Brown (forgetting that in many instances, Charlie Brown has achieved things like kicking the football and even dating the red-haired girl)

^^^^THIS

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By christianrapper

said:

that was the reason for bnd. they thought no one wanted to read about a married spidey. spidey had a real job and a successful model girlfriend. he also had that upgrade. then quesaida ordered that upgrade. that was so dumb to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.