Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I think we're missing the lesson in "Superior Spider-Man"

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireSelektor

Peter Parker spent 50 years fighting crime with little money or support. Parker fought for all New Yorkers, even the ones who tried to ruin him (ex. Jonah Jameson, Harry Osborn). Selflessness was his greatest attribute. How many times did Spider-Man's foes try to break him? The Goblin stories alone would have felled a lesser hero. No, Spider-Man fought, inspired, and served his fellow person time and again.

Could anyone see Doctor Octopus doing the same? Isn't this move a good thing? Walking Spider-Man's first* archnemesis through his life, teaching him the value of heroism and humility? A selfish person couldn't do what Spider-Man does everyday. "Superior Spider-Man" is ironic for a reason.

Thoughts?

*Doctor Octopus was Peter's most formidable foe before the Green Goblin, no?

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By mewmdude77

There's a lot of people who interact a lot with Spidey that become better people because of him. Examples include Ben Reilly, Kaine, Chameleon (for a little while at least), Prowler, Puma, Sandman (for a while), Rocket Racer, and many more. I'm sure Doc Ock is gonna be a better person because of this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

The lesson is pretend to be someone else and you'll get a hot supermodel girlfriend!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By PunyParker

@Strider92 said:

The lesson is pretend to be someone else and you'll get a hot supermodel girlfriend!

Oh....so i guess, i dont count then.....HA!

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By silverageguy

@VampireSelektor said:

Peter Parker spent 50 years fighting crime with little money or support. Parker fought for all New Yorkers, even the ones who tried to ruin him (ex. Jonah Jameson, Harry Osborn). Selflessness was his greatest attribute. How many times did Spider-Man's foes try to break him? The Goblin stories alone would have felled a lesser hero. No, Spider-Man fought, inspired, and served his fellow person time and again.

Could anyone see Doctor Octopus doing the same? Isn't this move a good thing? Walking Spider-Man's first adversary through his life, teaching him the value of heroism and humility? A selfish person couldn't do what Spider-Man does everyday. "Superior Spider-Man" is ironic for a reason.

Thoughts?

You are kidding, right? Anyone who has been following Spidey for any length of time, (in my case 46 years) would have a hard time seeing this as nothing but a complete miscarriage of justice and a total farce. Under the guidance of Quesada and Slot the character of Peter Parker has been completely transformed into a simpering wimp. Replacing him with doc ock is just too creepy on any number of levels. It teaches that evil is rewarded when good men fail to destroy it. Sable was absolutely correct to point out that Peter Parker failed himself, MJ, and the world when he allowed doc ock to keep living. Letting a great evil pass from the world is not a weakness. I dont buy any of Slots morally relativistic B.S. The Peter Parker of Ditko and Romita sr. had a stronger moral compass. This whole story arc is a disgrace and unworthy of one of Marvels most loved and iconic heros.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

I think Doc Ock is eventually going to sacrifice himself to bring back Peter.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VampireSelektor

@silverageguy said:

@VampireSelektor said:

Could anyone see Doctor Octopus doing the same? Isn't this move a good thing? Walking Spider-Man's first adversary through his life, teaching him the value of heroism and humility? A selfish person couldn't do what Spider-Man does everyday. "Superior Spider-Man" is ironic for a reason.

Thoughts?

You are kidding, right? Anyone who has been following Spidey for any length of time, (in my case 46 years) would have a hard time seeing this as nothing but a complete miscarriage of justice and a total farce. Under the guidance of Quesada and Slot the character of Peter Parker has been completely transformed into a simpering wimp. Replacing him with doc ock is just too creepy on any number of levels. It teaches that evil is rewarded when good men fail to destroy it. Sable was absolutely correct to point out that Peter Parker failed himself, MJ, and the world when he allowed doc ock to keep living. Letting a great evil pass from the world is not a weakness. I dont buy any of Slots morally relativistic B.S. The Peter Parker of Ditko and Romita sr. had a stronger moral compass. This whole story arc is a disgrace and unworthy of one of Marvels most loved and iconic heros.

Hmm. We'll see, I suppose.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8  Edited By CircularLogic

The lesson was lost as soon as...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

It was revealed Peter Parker was still present in Doc Ock's mind. Instead of the story being about Otto coming to terms with the lessons learned in ASM 700, it's about Peter fighting to return to his body. It derailed everything we knew about this book going into it for the sake of calming down angry fans.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VampireSelektor

@CircularLogic: Really? Hmm.

gridde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gridde

The OP and CircularLogic half right. Otto is being a hero...but a much crappier one than we were lead to believe from the end of ASM 700 and Avenging 16.1.

The first issue of Superior ends with Peter directly intervening (since he has limited control over the body/mind it seems, without Otto realising) to stop Otto killing a beaten criminal and declaring his intention to take his body back, and earlier in the issue he takes control to save a cop from an explosion by throwing himself in the way. However, that's only issue 1, and the story could still very easily go in the direction of Otto really coming to terms with responsibility and being a truly good human being. I don't see how the series can be expected to last at all if Otto remains a douchebag with Peter trying actively to take him out. Since Peter is now confirmed 'alive' in some regard, there are many, many ways he can return to the fold while Superior develops and continues unimpaired.
    Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mycroftian

The idea of Doc Ock in Peter's body is actually really interesting, and I think it could make for a good story, but I'm not crazy about the way they're doing things. Totally agree with everything in gridde's last post. Also, I'm tolerating the creepy romance for now on the assumption that Slott has a trick up his sleeve and MJ knows more than she's letting on. She really needs to get wise soon and tase the crap out of "Peter."

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Mycroftian: It'd be an "interesting" story, if we were talking about an arc (6-8 maximum for me). The way Slott imposed Otto as the Superior Spiderman was very sloppy. Too many plot holes. To be honest, I find the whole story dull and a little bit insulting. Especially when I read the "intro" of Superior Spiderman in SSM#1, I went mad! I don't know if I'll be reading the SSM, cause I gave it a try with all my heart and I couldn't follow, I couldn't get in the mood. Above all, I found the dialogues boring etc. It had action and Stegman was SUPERIOR of course (what an artist), but SSM...not for me. I'll be waiting for the next writer, hopefully Yost, that will bring back Peter with a parade or something.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#13  Edited By Teerack

This is a more accurate explain of what we actually learned.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By muhabba

I stopped reading Spider-Man after the Brand New Moment In Day as it... well I've already listed those reasons. I was actually reading Spider-Man in the Avengers titles and was starting to pick up the newer titles, and then. 30 years of reading Spider-Man was flushed down the drain. Joe Q and Slott have no idea what makes a hero. A hero doesn't sell his soul or his marriage or his possiable unborn child to the devil. A hero doesn't just had off his life and girlfriend to a villain who has been reformed for 5 whole minutes. Spider-Man has been nothing but rehashed stories from 30 years ago and failed concepts from DC. (looks like I found my soap box again *le sigh*)

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Hazlenaut

This is the obstacle Oct has to face. It is one big obstacle he has to face and is the biggest he will ever face. I am getting that you guys think of Oct being Rotimus prime. He can never replace the original. That is true and probably scarlet should take role. Spiderman was made as redemption but he gone too far with his self pity. Does One More Day mean anything? I think he needs divine intervention. We got Wolverine went thru hell literally how about Spiderman return from heaven. Anyone interesting reading a slice of life series peter journey in heaven before he comes back?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By batkevin74

@VampireSelektor: It's like Batman in the 90's, give the public the violent bloodthirsty vigilante for a while and then restore the status quo. And that'll happen because Peter's ghost (FOR F$#K^ S@KE) is hanging around like a cheap plot device. If they were really brave they'd of killed Peter DEAD and let Peter's memories influence Doc Octo-Spider.

But it is all about sales :)

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@muhabba: Applause, applause

No Caption Provided
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VampireSelektor

@batkevin74 said:

@VampireSelektor: It's like Batman in the 90's, give the public the violent bloodthirsty vigilante for a while and then restore the status quo. And that'll happen because Peter's ghost (FOR F$#K^ S@KE) is hanging around like a cheap plot device. If they were really brave they'd of killed Peter DEAD and let Peter's memories influence Doc Octo-Spider.

But it is all about sales :)

@gridde said:

The OP and CircularLogic half right. Otto is being a hero...but a much crappier one than we were lead to believe from the end of ASM 700 and Avenging 16.1.

The first issue of Superior ends with Peter directly intervening (since he has limited control over the body/mind it seems, without Otto realising) to stop Otto killing a beaten criminal and declaring his intention to take his body back, and earlier in the issue he takes control to save a cop from an explosion by throwing himself in the way. However, that's only issue 1, and the story could still very easily go in the direction of Otto really coming to terms with responsibility and being a truly good human being. I don't see how the series can be expected to last at all if Otto remains a douchebag with Peter trying actively to take him out. Since Peter is now confirmed 'alive' in some regard, there are many, many ways he can return to the fold while Superior develops and continues unimpaired.

Hmm. I'm disappointed.

funnymanfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By funnymanfish

@silverageguy said:

@VampireSelektor said:

Thoughts?

Um. I've been following Spider-Man since Amazing Fantasy. At first I heard about Doc Ock as Superior Spider-Man before I read the issue. It was ticked. Then I thought about and was sympathetic, then I was excited. Now I love Superior Spider-Man. Have you even read the issue.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The lesson is that being an awful human being and career criminal and terrorist will provide you with a perfect life if you just stick at it. In addition, the model of heroism who has stood in your way and saved countless innocents will die a pathetic, ignoble death and have their identity absorbed so that no one even realises they're dead.  

That is the lesson of Superior Spider-Man. 

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VampireSelektor

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The lesson is that being an awful human being and career criminal and terrorist will provide you with a perfect life if you just stick at it. In addition, the model of heroism who has stood in your way and saved countless innocents will die a pathetic, ignoble death and have their identity absorbed so that no one even realises they're dead. That is the lesson of Superior Spider-Man.

Hmm. We'll see. The story is just beginning*. What cheapened the moment for me was Peter living on as Ock's good side. If Franklin Richards had noticed Peter on some higher plane and dragged him back to life, that might've worked. "The world's greatest superhero mentoring his arguable successor from beyond the flesh" has potential.

*cliche phrase, I know

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

@VampireSelektor said:

Thoughts?

Um Vulture was Spiderman's first Super villain

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VampireSelektor

@joshmightbe said:

@VampireSelektor said:

Thoughts?

Um Vulture was Spiderman's first Super villain

Thank you for the clearing that up. I meant "Doctor Octopus was Spider-Man's first archnemesis before Green Goblin". I'll make the correction.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.