I think people underestimate Spider-Man

#1 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean people always say that Strenght only matters but heres some information first off here are his powers

Super Human Strenght Speed and Durability

Web Fluid is strong enough to restrain the Hulk

His fighting skill is called the way of the spider and can beat any martial arts he is even a challenge for Batman and Captain America

Spider-Sense can help him sense danger also it helps him web swing around the city easier thats why he does not need to look where he shoots webs

He has defeated the Hulk before

Has a 250 IQ

He is able to lift 10 tons

He is even able to run 200 miles an hour

He is immune to toxic's

He has limited Durability but is almost untouchable he can even dodge auto fire from any guns

Spider-Man

Did you know all of that and this is fact not opinion

#2 Posted by AntiAJ25 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he can grab gun bullets with his spider-sense too plus his speed

#3 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Where did you get this "Way of the Spider" info?

#4 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88: This was when (i think along the lines of) Spider-man lost his spider-sense. So he trained and created his own style of martial arts.

#5 Posted by AntiAJ25 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88: He learned it before spider-island like a couple issues before

#6 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@AntiAJ25 said:

@MrShway88: He learned it before spider-island like a couple issues before

Yep, I thought it was kinda silly personally.

#7 Posted by Veidt (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he really able to run 200 miles an hour, or can he in fact cover 200 miles in an hour by a mix of jumping, webbing or running? Because running 200 miles an hour is too much even for him, he's no Formula 1 car.

#8 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

fine if you think im lieing go to death battle Spider-Man vs Batman thats where i got lots of the info

#9 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

250 IQ? And he's not one of Marvel's big 8 brains? Jeez.

Spidey is the best!

#10 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

His webs are able to temporarily restrain Hulk and when was Hulk beaten?

#11 Edited by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey's webs can only hold the Hulk if he stops and lets them dry (like the Hulk would do that). And even if they do dry, they wouldn't hold him for long.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18029 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

he only beat hulk do to a plot devise, there was this one incident i think , it was full of PIS

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@guttridgeb said:

he only beat hulk do to a plot devise, there was this one incident i think , it was full of PIS

Why am I not surprised? ;)

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18029 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75: he has only beaten hulk because of a plot device

#15 Posted by BlackWind (6115 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider Man could possibly stop Hulk, but defeating him squarely is just a plot device.

And I don't think Spider Man is underrated.

#16 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull:

That's bullcrap. Spider-man's feats over the years have proven he can take down Hulk. If anything, nowaday comics that make it look like Spidey is helpless to defeat the Hulk are bad plot devices. Rhino is basically like a mini version of Hulk (able to lift over 80 tons and skin is indestructible), and Spidey has proven at least twice that when he takes a battle seriously he can defeat Rhinio too easily for words.

#17 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG yes Spidey is severely underestimated, for the past decade Marvel has been castrating the guy. The man could knock thugs out with the flick of his finger and take out the whole X-men like it was nothing, he's even made a fool of Thor. Now Spider-woman can fight/beat him (and yeah I know he didn't have his Spider-sense but Spidey still shouldn't have even felt her punches) and the thought of Spidey fighting heroes like Iron Man or Hulk usually follow with laughs. Ask this same question around twenty years ago, people would say the exact opposite. Once in every blue moon we'll see a writer that gives us the same Spidey that was created decades ago, but most of them are facepalm worthy. I know Batman is badass and all but he can't beat Spider-man on his best day, no...just, no.

#18 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@wr3h said:

@MrShway88: This was when (i think along the lines of) Spider-man lost his spider-sense. So he trained and created his own style of martial arts.

I thought Shang Chi taught it to him.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18029 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyFan113 said:

@TheAcidSkull:

That's bullcrap. Spider-man's feats over the years have proven he can take down Hulk. If anything, nowaday comics that make it look like Spidey is helpless to defeat the Hulk are bad plot devices. Rhino is basically like a mini version of Hulk (able to lift over 80 tons and skin is indestructible), and Spidey has proven at least twice that when he takes a battle seriously he can defeat Rhinio too easily for words.

there is nothing spider-man could do that would put him on par with hulk, beating rhino doesn't prove anything, the only hulk spider-man could beat is grey hulk, and i'm even skeptical about that,

Hulk>Spider-man

Hulk has taken down much worse than spider-man

#20 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

This is exacly why i sayed people say spider-man is not the best he is the best he saved reality by him self and even beat thanos and thanos is a problem even with the avengers and spidey is one of the few characters who are smart enough to beat an opponent in battle he uses his head not his fists unlike thor and the hulk and spidey even over rided iron man's armor his martial arts the way of the spider is not stupid in fact now thanks to the traning and he got his spider sense back he is two times harder to beat he can even fight with the best fighters in the world blind folded these are his strenghts

can lift 10 tons

can run 200 miles an hour

his way of the spider fighting style can out match any martial art in the world

has saved reality dozens of times

has 250IQ (he is even smarter then hank pym he even admited it him self)

He has more girlfriends more then any super hero (this is not really an advantage but its true)

Also spidey doesent care what people tell him if he is weak or strong or a show off but he is truly your friendly neighbor hood spider man.

#21 Edited by laflux (15418 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75 said:

This is exacly why i sayed people say spider-man is not the best he is the best he saved reality by him self and even beat thanos and thanos is a problem even with the avengers and spidey is one of the few characters who are smart enough to beat an opponent in battle he uses his head not his fists unlike thor and the hulk and spidey even over rided iron man's armor his martial arts the way of the spider is not stupid in fact now thanks to the traning and he got his spider sense back he is two times harder to beat he can even fight with the best fighters in the world blind folded these are his strenghts

can lift 10 tons

He has more girlfriends more then any super hero (this is not really an advantage but its true)

Also spidey doesent care what people tell him if he is weak or strong or a show off but he is truly your friendly neighbor hood spider man.

That art is for superior Spider-Man, who isn't Peter Parker. But as for your points,

He has feats which make his 10 tonner status very, very conservative. I'd say he's stronger than that.

In Dashing speed <50 meters, I'd say he's considerably faster than that, as he dodges bullets at point blank after they have been fired, speed blitzes opponents moving faster than the eye can follow e.t.c. Over longer distances I'd wouldn't say 200 mph, since one of his rogues, Speed-Demon, ran at 250 mph and was considerable faster than him. But Spider-Man has easily outran Kraven and his Cheetah's who can run at 60 mph, caught up to and outran someone wearing rocket propelled boots (the World record for Rocket-Propelled boots is 72 mph), and Perhaps most impressively caught up to van going at 90 mph from a standing start very quickly. Spider-Man is 100 mph plus, but 200 mph is pushing it IMO TBH. But web-slinging makes running unneeded.

The way of the Spider is very effective and has improved his skills no doubt, but they are still many who outclass him in skill by a wide margin such as Wolverine, Panther, Shang-Chi, Fist. Peter probably deserves a 5 on the H2H combat scale, but the guys I mentioned should all be a 7.

The whole of reality? The world, yes, Ends of the earth to be exact. New York, yes. But Reality? That's pushing it.

True. Reed Richards has also admitted that Peter often sees things better from a biological standpoint than he does.

Iron Man would say no on that one. But he has got a way with the ladies. Chameleon even was even surprised at how beautiful all of Peter's friends who were girls were.

Here in Comic-Vine, I think people in general have a very good understanding of what Spider-Man can and cannot do. He is a grey level character, probably above street-level, but below characters like Jack Hawksmoor and Midnighter, and putting him in a random encounter against most Streets result in him winning without too much trouble. Among people who are new to comics, I'd say that they neglect his strength and durability and only focus on his speed and agility, which is a shame. That's why you have that infernal Batman vs Spider-Man debate, which thankfully no one does around here anymore.

I mean he has been overrated as well. Him nearly killing Fire-lord is really, really bad writing. In fact, throughout the Secret Wars, he was hyped up pretty excessively. He made the X-Men look like noobs, despite the fact that they had people he shouldn't really be taking down, such as Rogue with Ms Marvel's powers, Colossus, Storm and Xavier (how the hell did get the drop on an Omega level Telepath?). He also trashed Titania, who had just come off destroying She-Hulk, with ease. Then Overpowered her again with Absorbing Man- Absorbing Man had to resort to using endangering innocents to stop Peter fighting them.

Overall, A cool character though, and the undisputed poster boy of marvel.

Just My Twenty Five Cents.

#22 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya sorry i put the superior spider man picture but is was the best one i could fine since i was busy but for me spidey is just a challenge for every one and his intellect is so high hank pym said he was smarter then him since peter made web shooters when he was 15

#23 Posted by laflux (15418 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75 said:

Ya sorry i put the superior spider man picture but is was the best one i could fine since i was busy but for me spidey is just a challenge for every one and his intellect is so high hank pym said he was smarter then him since peter made web shooters when he was 15

Yeah, Hank also talked about how he was able to get his spider-tracers to merge with the frequency of his Spider-Sense, within such small tech as the Spider tracers. I like Dan Slott alot, partly because recently, he's showing how intelligent Spider-Man can be.

#24 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@sammystorm75 said:

can lift 10 tons

That art is for superior Spider-Man, who isn't Peter Parker. But as for your points,

He has feats which make his 10 tonner status very, very conservative. I'd say he's stronger than that.

In Dashing speed <50 meters, I'd say he's considerably faster than that, as he dodges bullets at point blank after they have been fired, speed blitzes opponents moving faster than the eye can follow e.t.c. Over longer distances I'd wouldn't say 200 mph, since one of his rogues, Speed-Demon, ran at 250 mph and was considerable faster than him. But Spider-Man has easily outran Kraven and his Cheetah's who can run at 60 mph, caught up to and outran someone wearing rocket propelled boots (the World record for Rocket-Propelled boots is 72 mph), and Perhaps most impressively caught up to van going at 90 mph from a standing start very quickly. Spider-Man is 100 mph plus, but 200 mph is pushing it IMO TBH. But web-slinging makes running unneeded.

The way of the Spider is very effective and has improved his skills no doubt, but they are still many who outclass him in skill by a wide margin such as Wolverine, Panther, Shang-Chi, Fist. Peter probably deserves a 5 on the H2H combat scale, but the guys I mentioned should all be a 7.

The whole of reality? The world, yes, Ends of the earth to be exact. New York, yes. But Reality? That's pushing it.

True. Reed Richards has also admitted that Peter often sees things better from a biological standpoint than he does.

Iron Man would say no on that one. But he has got a way with the ladies. Chameleon even was even surprised at how beautiful all of Peter's friends who were girls were.

Here in Comic-Vine, I think people in general have a very good understanding of what Spider-Man can and cannot do. He is a grey level character, probably above street-level, but below characters like Jack Hawksmoor and Midnighter, and putting him in a random encounter against most Streets result in him winning without too much trouble. Among people who are new to comics, I'd say that they neglect his strength and durability and only focus on his speed and agility, which is a shame. That's why you have that infernal Batman vs Spider-Man debate, which thankfully no one does around here anymore.

I mean he has been overrated as well. Him nearly killing Fire-lord is really, really bad writing. In fact, throughout the Secret Wars, he was hyped up pretty excessively. He made the X-Men look like noobs, despite the fact that they had people he shouldn't really be taking down, such as Rogue with Ms Marvel's powers, Colossus, Storm and Xavier (how the hell did get the drop on an Omega level Telepath?). He also trashed Titania, who had just come off destroying She-Hulk, with ease. Then Overpowered her again with Absorbing Man- Absorbing Man had to resort to using endangering innocents to stop Peter fighting them.

Overall, A cool character though, and the undisputed poster boy of marvel.

Just My Twenty Five Cents.

He actually has saved all of reality at least a couple times. Once for sure with the Avengers against Nebula (Thanos' niece) when everyone else was literally gone, everything was saved when Spider-Man used his webbing to pull the plug on the machine Nebula had used to make most of existence dissapear.

#25 Posted by laflux (15418 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77: For that useful piece of knowledge my friend, you deserve a follow :-)

#26 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

The point is that spidey never really uses all of his power. He is very reserved. He has let himself go only a couple of times and these times he beath the crap out of Firelord, whole Kravinoff family etc.

#27 Posted by InfinityAce (110 posts) - - Show Bio

So is superior having black instead of blue? I like it.

#28 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

out of every thing i still don't get a follow by the way he had 2 video games where he saved reality and it's spider-man shatterd dimeonsions and edge of time

#29 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75: I believe you'll have to prove a lot of the statements you've just made. Ability to run at 200 miles an hour? Web fluid strong enought to restrain the Hulk? I think you're really exaggerating his abilities. He's powerful, but not that powerful. And I'd suggest that trying to prove your points through videogames; they're not the same as the comics.

Links about abilities:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Man%27s_powers,_abilities_and_equipment

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/characters/p/spidermanbio.htm

http://marvel.com/universe/Spider-Man_%28Peter_Parker%29

http://spiderfan.org/characters/himself/powers/

#30 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75: Actually he can lift 15 tons, he's suceptible to bug poison, he can only dodge gunfire from moderate distances, and you forgot that he has a healing factor and can even control insects. I was actually about to make this post myself because Spider-Man is very underestimated.

#31 Posted by sammystorm75 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

im saying it one more time go to you tube and put in spiderman vs batman death battle it will give all the info about spiderman.

#32 Posted by segamarvel (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are people so against the notion that he can run 200 mph? He's already shown to be faster then the human eye. Plus he says he has the proportionate speed of a spider (which is faster then you think). Spiders (depending on the species) have run at speeds that range from 33 to 48 times their body length per second. Peter is 5foot10inches tall so since he is constantly boasting about having the proportionate speed and strength of a spider Peter should be able to move at these speeds which for his size ranges at about 130 to 190 mph. I don't know about you guys but I see no reason to argue with that logic since there is no reason for spidey to be slower than his namesake. Heck he maybe even faster than that. The guys strength is already blown out of proportion for a spider so why shouldn't he be at least as fast if not faster than any spider?

#33 Posted by Bezza (3522 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman is very under-estimated and was certainly more of a force to be reckoned with in the older comics. I am reading the Death of Gwen Stacey book at the moment, where he comprehensively smashes Luke Cage, who is a powerhouse with almost impervious skin. The combination of being able to lift 15 tons, amazing reflexes, jumping, leaping and astonishing durability really, makes him a match for much stronger bricks. In fact the ASM2 did quite a good job of show casing Spidey's abilities. He is much more impressive than in ASM1.

I used to think Batman could take down Spidey, but getting back into my Spiderman books again recently have done a complete U Turn on that one!!

#34 Posted by PapiNacho (2377 posts) - - Show Bio

Were did people get that Spidey's IQ is 250?

#35 Edited by Superguy1591 (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammystorm75:

can lift 10 tons

And then people say he's relatable, but Superman is not.

#36 Edited by PunyParker (9831 posts) - - Show Bio

Look,till the 90s Spider-Man was the best and strongest in the Marvel Universe.......
He could take on anyone,and he did....in Secret Wars he beat up all of the X-Men with an ease.
In Annual one he beat up the Avengers with an ease.
He beat up Firelord,for God's sake!!.....this is a Silver Surfer villian!!!!

If Civil War happened in the 80s,it would have been Tony's side,Cap's side and Spider-Man's side.......and Spidey would beat everyone by himself....

So,no.....only young new superhero readers/enthousiasts underestimate him.....because he got a de-powering after the MCU happened.
Everyone else knows what he is.

#37 Posted by averywetfrog (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: spidey has been an unstoppable force at times, but that Firelord fight victory was due neither to his brain nor skills. He just let spidey wale on him and got too cocky letting spidey win. You could say he has the strength to knock him out, but if the Firelord actually tried spidey would be finished.

#38 Posted by PunyParker (9831 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: spidey has been an unstoppable force at times, but that Firelord fight victory was due neither to his brain nor skills. He just let spidey wale on him and got too cocky letting spidey win. You could say he has the strength to knock him out, but if the Firelord actually tried spidey would be finished.

Yeah okay,but he did win,nontheless.

#39 Posted by AmazingSpiderman15 (1089 posts) - - Show Bio

spidey being underrated is quite likely but maybe he isn't as when writers write him he always holds back like in superior spider-man #3 when spock fights vulture he remembers that peter always held back against him

#40 Posted by Rainja (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is impressive and I like him but when the focus on Peter Parker, I can't help but hate and look down on him.

#41 Posted by Jimishim12 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

SPidey is the ultimate jack of all trades character. He's good at everything but a master of nothing. And yes, Spidey goes out with more women and is in a serious relationship than most marvel u womanizer who only one night stands with them. Spidey beats Tony in being funny with ladies too.

#42 Posted by Bezza (3522 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker:

as you know I spent about 25 years away from the comic book world, what do you mean by the MCU happening? was this a Marvel re-boot similar to DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Anyway, maybe time they re-booted Spidey to where he should be. This implications from ASM2 is he is powerful, which is a good start!

#43 Posted by PunyParker (9831 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

as you know I spent about 25 years away from the comic book world, what do you mean by the MCU happening?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe(MCU)

They branded heroes like Iron Man and Captain America so they can be their sellers......and that lead to the de-powering of Spider-Man.

@bezza said:

Anyway, maybe time they re-booted Spidey to where he should be. This implications from ASM2 is he is powerful, which is a good start!

It is.
He hasnt held a car in comics for like forever.

#44 Posted by Bezza (3522 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker:

Got ya,

well its time they remembered that Spiderman is and will always be the best loved marvel character, long after RDJ's Iron Man has faded in the memory, so give him back the respect and power he deserves. After all "With great power....."

#45 Posted by PunyParker (9831 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Got ya,

well its time they remembered that Spiderman is and will always be the best loved marvel character, long after RDJ's Iron Man has faded in the memory, so give him back the respect and power he deserves. After all "With great power....."

Well,they know itand even Feige said it(the exec of Marvel Studios) that "Spider-Man is the most famous character of theirs,but Avengers is the most famous brand".....(bs)

Oh! and even RDJ said that he only read Spider-Man as a kid,and there is a pic of him with a Spider-Man t-shirt somewhere....

EDIT: Here.

#46 Posted by Bezza (3522 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker:

Yep, I think somebody put it succinctly when he commented on my Spiderman Blog a few months back that reading Spiderman is a rite of passage if you are a Marvel fan and I'd so as far as to say that you can't really call yourself a Marvel Fan unless you have read some Spiderman!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.