Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I must know: why do people like Spider-man so much?

• 108 results
    Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Speedy92286
    @RonSiconolfi said:
    " @Speedy92286 said:
    " @RonSiconolfi said:
    " @Emerald Warrior said:
    "Enter Peter Parker. A nerdy teen (though he's sometimes portrayed almost as a pre-teen or a dude in his early 20's) who doesn't get any respect, almost NEVER gets anything right (or even thanked for saving someone), who whines ALL FRIGGIN' DAY about everything that happens to him, whose friends and/or allies always end up going nuts and trying to kill him, and whose loved ones always pay the price for him being a "hero" (and I use the term loosely).  

He's socially inept, he can't deal with women and he's given up his hero gig half a dozen times!!!

He is the epitome of what a loser is, the embodiment of nerdiness, the poster child for the word geek!!! 

Yet so many comics fans LOVE him!!!    I don't mean to put Spidey down, but i don't think anyone here can argue with my (perhaps harsh) description of him here.  I just want to know why despite all of this, so many people find him (and everything he is) "relatable"?!?! can anyone try to explain?  "
    why do people like the green lantern so much? oh wait nobody likes the green lantern--hes lame and boring "
    Hey! I like Green Lan...wait, which one? "
    hal jordan...the original "
    Eh...he is growing on me thanks to Geoff Johns. At least he is better than Kyle Reyner. I am upset DC actually made me respect him when he died, then just brought him back the next issue.
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like spider man cuz i always have and he is easy to relate to and he is just rad he has awesome villians
    Spidertheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Spidertheking

I think fan like Spider-man, because he has been through so much crap (physically, and emotionality)  that would break a weak minded person. Even though he is a "Geek" or >>    

Emerald warrior said: 
    NEVER gets anything right (or even thanked for saving someone), who whines ALL FRIGGIN' DAY about everything that happens to him, whose friends and/or allies always end up going nuts and trying to kill him, and whose loved ones always pay the price for him being a "hero" (and I use the term loosely).  

He's socially inept, he can't deal with women and he's given up his hero gig half a dozen times!!!

He is the epitome of what a loser is, the embodiment of nerdiness, the poster child for the word geek!!! ""  

Although he is all of that he is still able to be a kick ass super hero who fans love, and respect. That's why people like spider-man!

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Theodore

He is fun.

ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By ArachKnight
    @Vance Astro said:

"......I like how he was Marvel's first real superhero like Superman was DC's but he's so different.For his time he was a pretty original character......... 

I hate to correct you but Marvel's First Hero Was The Human Torch. In his first issue he looked more like a foe than a friend but during WW2 he and Namor the Sub Mariner took off as popular Nazi Smasher comics followed by Captin America. They stuck around for a little after the war but faded in popularity as gruesome pulp magizines became the new number 1.  I think The Hulk and Thor appeared before spidey too. You are correct about him being so Unique though. I heard that the marvel editor at the time did not want to publish a spider-man because he thought the concept would gross people out. Stan Lee kinda "snuck the charecter under the radar". I think the comments show why Spidey is so great. I will admit it I don't activley buy his comics anymore unless there is a story I REALLY like (thank you Joe Quesada, you jerk) . I don't think he has the best rouges gallery (His later foes yes, but I am not fond of alot of most of his "classic" villians), But I will always love spidey as the hero next door kinda guy.

spideyisback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love spider man. my whole life I've looked up to him.(maybe that's why I don't have a life;) i have spent countless hours reading, watching , and playing video game related to spider-man

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like spiderman because he's funny, peter parker is interesting, and I think he has really cool powers. His comics are always a blast to read. He acts silly most times but man, if you piss spidey off you are in serious trouble and I love seeing that side of him

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SmashBrawler

This was so worth necroing, guys. Seriously.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By PunyParker

Spider-Man's relatable,he's a sh!t-talker,he's a nice guy,his morals are something to live by,he's an example to any human being,he has a full body suit,so here comes the literal "everyman" aspect,he has cool and unique powers,he's smart, and funny.
    What's not to like?

Also he dates beautiful women,which i ,in particular,find relatable..... ( ;P )

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
    Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Humor & Great Power= Great Responsibility. Nuff Said

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jimishim12

He IMO is the most unique "Protagonist" in fiction, yes all of fiction. He never wins, sure he wins temporarily but he hits his stride to rock bottom when things seem to good to be true crashing his high expectations having a bittersweet conclusion, unlike any run of the mill heroes who become blessed and depicted as victors and idols like the gods of ancient myths, Spiderman is eternally Icarus and yet Jesus at the same time, a man who sticks it out for the fortune of others. He'd let dickstains like Hawkeye and Torch get all the credit and happiness for saving the day even if it meant he got nothing in return and is back to loserville. He lets Captain America outshine him in being the Marvel U's king of heroes despite the fact Spidey is the ultimate timeless iconic symbol of Marvel and thier greatest hero created in the real world on the pantheon of immortal heroes along side the Big Boyscout and the Caped Crusader. He should have made sexual conquests with more babes and pleasures from Marvel's most beautiful heroines and civilians yet he gets stuck with MJ and now the Midget Lois Lane.

Plus he's a funny and awesome dude who knows what we know about Marvel without being explicit with it like Deadpool, Marvel is his kingdom, he runs the show, he just lets everyone take the reigns because he's like Mickey Mouse, to famous and important to the company's image to do epic shit like save the universe, I always figured that Spider-Man was the secret one above all, and the heroes like Thor, Iron Man, Cyclops, Iceman etc are different versions and projections of himself that he makes up in his head that defines his entire concept of being the Superhero of Superheroes. And his life is simply put the universe itself, I mean look without Peter Parker, there would be no smart ass quippers coming out of Iron Man, Hawkeye, Johnny, Hellion, Rockslide, and most famously Deadpool.

Bluejay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Bluejay3

Spider-Man is the hero I grew up with, without him I wouldn't be the person I am today.The Web Head will always be my number 1

Redskull490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People like spiderman because what they grew up, or just they enjoy the character.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well for me Spider-Man was the first superhero I began reading about. When handled correctly by writers, he was someone you could aspire to be like.

I guess as a kid growing up in the 70's I could relate to some of the marginalization experienced by Peter Parker but also take comfort in knowing Spider-Man could overcome and gain a victory despite the situations he would find himself in.

For me seeing Pete transition into adulthood had far more influence on my life and enjoyment of the character than has the whole post OMD fiasco.

If Marvel were so hell bent on a throwback to a down on his luck younger single Peter Parker, they should've stuck with USM or publish a new kiddies title.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Marvel were so hell bent on a throwback to a down on his luck younger single Peter Parker, they should've stuck with USM or publish a new kiddies title.

Correct.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well for me Spider-Man was the first superhero I began reading about. When handled correctly by writers, he was someone you could aspire to be like.

I guess as a kid growing up in the 70's I could relate to some of the marginalization experienced by Peter Parker but also take comfort in knowing Spider-Man could overcome and gain a victory despite the situations he would find himself in.

I can relate to this, I think Spiderman was the first super-hero comic I ever picked up in the late 70s....for me it started as a child with Spiderman, Hulk, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman (all on TV or film) and these characters have remained with me ever since...

Also agree with @jayc1324, Spidey is loads of fun, but watch out when he gets mad!!

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just hit the realization that Peter Parker is perfect for children growning up when a teen or a pre teen who needs a audience surrogate in their own lifes, but sadly when they hit their young adult stages grow out of Peter and find him ineffectively uncool with how now he still is being a loser and now want to find heroes who represent our escapist fantasies and have much more of a pratical approach towards handling shit thrown at them aka more manly and aggressive ideals. Dick Greyson for example is Spidey with bigger balls and more respect, and like Batman took a bad situation in his past and made him a inspirational figure in the society of justice. Peter is a realistic yet similar concept but pays more than he gains, so no male escapism for him. The hot women he gets with, they either die or break up with him, that's kinda depressing for a inspirational figure like Spider-Man, at least batman girls and xmen girls go out fighting and the men break up with them.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Spider-Man's just the best.

#JMS4LIFE #SINSPAST4LIFE

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's mainly because he is the most popular superhero for young children (he was my favorite as a kid), and many comic readers like to get in touch with their inner child, and that leads to a stronger interest in the character.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What personally attracted me to Spider-Man comics was the "Back in Black" storyline. The reason for this is because when I'm at a level of anger, I see myself having the potential to do impossible stuff (Note: I get very stupid when I'm angry). I felt so in sync with his emotions during that story, and I see myself doing similar stuff in that scenario.

While that was amazing, it only lasted for like 5 issues. Stories like that have only come around a few times. What keeps me reading Slott's writing is just the sheer use of Pete's intellect. It's what I want to do when I'm older, use my brains to change the world.

OttoOctavius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are tons of Superheroes because there are tons of People and everyone has different tastes. YOU may not like Spidey, while I am not a big fan of Iron-man. It doesn't mean that hero sucks or all their fan are stupid, it means that you are not a fan. Simple as that. Spider-man is, and will always be, one of the biggest Marvel (well all of comics really) heroes ever.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Because he's awesome

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By BappyRonChantin
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man's just the best.

#JMS4LIFE #SINSPAST4LIFE

"I'm not the hashtag guy"

You're lucky i love American Dad..... :P

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's awesome

I'm preety sure i have declared my love to you many times,but again, i love you.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@claymore1998 said:

Because he's awesome

I'm preety sure i have declared my love to you many times,but again, i love you.

Hehe not really this is like the first time Mr. Obscenely hairy legs >_>

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@claymore1998 said:

Because he's awesome

Hehe not really this is like the first time Mr. Obscenely hairy legs >_>

No matter what you say ,i still love you.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate his selflessness, high moral values, quick wit, and ability to juggle responsibility most of all.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spider-Man's relatable,he's a sh!t-talker,he's a nice guy,his morals are something to live by,he's an example to any human being,he has a full body suit,so here comes the literal "everyman" aspect,he has cool and unique powers,he's smart, and funny.

What's not to like?

Also he dates beautiful women,which i ,in particular,find relatable..... ( ;P )

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Spider-man so much because he is a bad asssssssssssss

HollowMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"He's socially inept, he can't deal with women and he's given up his hero gig half a dozen times!!!"

May I remember you the amount of super model chicks peter has banged over the years? Or the amount of super model chicks that WANTED to be banged by him but he didn't all over the years?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Even his "Parker Luck" puts him in some bad situations, Spidey keeps going forward and throws fun jokes to his ennemies.

I like this guy.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well alot of that stuff describes my life. But relate-ability is surprisingly not why I like him. Its the humor. In the hands of the right writer, Spiderman/Peter Parker can be hilarious and entertaining to read and I enjoy laughing. Its a nice change of pace.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say because Peter Parker is true to himself. But that's under attack. I would say because spiderman is a character more then just a mask yet that to is not what they would want you to believe. Peter Parker Aka Spiderman is the wall crawler or webhead. Through the ages and many stories it is who we fell in love with as he proved with great power comes great responsibility. Then one day somebody says hey let's scuba all that and just make Spidermam a mask. If you do that you did what no villain could do and you made Spiderman generic and nothing special but a mask you put on and take off. Then you kill any draw what so ever to care and who wants to see that or read about that. May as well make a Scarlet Spiderman tell people he is here to stay and then kill him off. You may want to see Stan Lee and let him rem kind you that a true hero is a true hero in mask and out. Peter Parker to me anyway is the one and only Spiderman. This is why I like him.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because he's by far one of the most relatable characters in comics -- I'd even go as far to say that if I were to describe myself in two words I could say "Peter Parker" and that would be nearly all of the description you would need.

He's intellegent, geeky, socially awkward, huge smart ass, lives his life by his own principals and fights the good fight even when life just keeps on kicking him down. What's not to like?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By silent_bomber

OP had really limited experience with Spider-Man, didn't he? probably watched too much Tobey Maguire.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres what I don't like though, Peter complaining about the way things are for him out of his comfort zone. Dude needs more self assurance and wisdom already and needs to stop acting like he's the only normal man there.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Skyleat

I think I saw a post in the past that pretty sums it up :

SPIDER-MAN IS AWESOME. END OF STORY.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By kfabz-23

He's pretty lame, I'll never know.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23:

He used to be cooler than wolverine and deadpool.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By kcomicfan

I like him because of his powers, his jokes, his intelligence and his rogues gallery.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Spider-Man because he's very entertaining when he's not being written like a whiny idiot who can't do anything right. I also like how he can fit into all kinds of stories. He can appear in fun stories like When Cometh the Commuter and serious ones like Death of JeanDeWolff, and they don't feel out of place. He's a guy who just tries to do the right thing, and he's got all sorts of interesting adventures.

He kept to himself in highschool, but in college when he stopped treating everyone like they were all out to get him, and actually opened up to them and made an effort to get along he actually managed to be happier. I think that change between the college and highschool years was important, because it showed that if he had continued being antisocial, he wouldn't be any more popular than he was in highschool. He didn't become super popular, or the big man on campus, but he had loyal friends, that he never would have made if he stuck to his old, screw everyone else attitude.

That makes him a timeless character, his journey into adulthood is something anyone can relate to, and that's what makes his recent character derailment all the more frustrating.

The cool costume, villains, and stylish powers help a lot too. That's what I liked about Spectacular Spider-Man, because in that one they made sure to work in a lot of agility, speed, and webs into his combat style which made fights very fun to watch.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Memorable costume, original powers, 90's TV show, relatable back story, light hearted and funniness while retaining deep and serious plot points, great cast of villains, and a rich history in the comics. Among many other things.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His character has a lot of history.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's relateable

He's beatable. He's not too powerful. But he also isn't weak.

He's sarcastic and witty.

He's a long running character.

Black Cat:

No Caption Provided

- TAS

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I lost interest in Peter a few years ago. I loved him growing up but not anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-59847e5816856
    deactivated-59847e5816856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, here are a few reasons:

1. Spider-Man's intelligence. He shows us that power is not just physical power. He utilizes his intelligence to overcome odds that his powers can't solve, which is always nice to see. Plus, who doesn't love cool spidery suits, and gadgets?
    2. Everyone of us has a choice. We can choose to stray down the wrong path, or be better, doing the right thing. With great power there must also come great responsibility.
    3. Instead of letting his guilt consume him, Spider-Man remains optimistic, using his past mistakes as a constant reminder as to why he can and will do better.
    4. The humor is simply amazing. Ranging from distraction, awkward situations, the parker luck, Spidey comics always, at least most of the time, have funny scenes that are just great to see.
    5. Spider-Man never gives up on anyone. His motto: Nobody dies, no one, we must believe that even those who have committed crimes, can one day improve, and do their part for society. As ridiculous as it is, it is what makes Spider-Man great, something which kids can and should aspire to.
    6. Kinda relates to the previous point, but perseverance. Spider-Man never gives up, in some cases, his willpower is strong enough to overcome staggering odds, which is in itself pretty cool.
    7. The action, his powers. I would be lying if I didn't mention this. Favorite battle to date is against the Kravinoff family during Grim Hunt.

Note: I guess relatability is a huge factor to some Spidey fans, but it isn't a huge factor for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.