Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I must know: why do people like Spider-man so much?

• 108 results
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Emerald Warrior

Enter Peter Parker. A nerdy teen (though he's sometimes portrayed almost as a pre-teen or a dude in his early 20's) who doesn't get any respect, almost NEVER gets anything right (or even thanked for saving someone), who whines ALL FRIGGIN' DAY about everything that happens to him, whose friends and/or allies always end up going nuts and trying to kill him, and whose loved ones always pay the price for him being a "hero" (and I use the term loosely).  

He's socially inept, he can't deal with women and he's given up his hero gig half a dozen times!!!

He is the epitome of what a loser is, the embodiment of nerdiness, the poster child for the word geek!!! 

Yet so many comics fans LOVE him!!!   

I don't mean to put Spidey down, but i don't think anyone here can argue with my (perhaps harsh) description of him here. 

I just want to know why despite all of this, so many people find him (and everything he is) "relatable"?!?! can anyone try to explain? 

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By geraldthesloth

You've just named the reasons why half the people like him, because they can relate with him.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sparda

He's the Indiana Jones of the Marvel Universe, pretty much. That's all I need.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By moviegeek17

For me i like him cause he can go through all the crap that you said and still be an upbeat and smartass superhero with morals that a lot of people strive for. That and i can relate to him in the way that i too am a geek and talking to girls really arent my specialty either lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I like Spider-Man because not so much because I can relate to him (because I don't relate to him pretty much at all) but because he's a classic hero. I've seen him go through many phases throughout his existence and he changes accordingly.I like the way he's all nonchalant about how he fights his villains even when he's losing. I like how he makes the worst jokes at the most inappropriate times.Like in Secret Invasion when they were in the Quinjet going to fight the skrulls and Spider-Man asked if anyone else was hungry.I like how he was Marvel's first real superhero like Superman was DC's but he's so different.For his time he was a pretty original character.You almost can't make a spider related character without having a similar ability to something Spider-Man has already done.He seems like he'd be alot of fun to be one a superhero team with.I mean there are so many reasons to like Spider-Man.

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By crimsonspider89

He represents the everyday person with superhero powers. He tries to do what is right even at the cost of his own life. And he is not rich and has to try to balance his work with his responsibilities and has to pay the price if he neglects his responsibility with crime rising and does not help that his boss slanders his name constantly.

Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kenjav

Yeah, what you say are pretty much the reasons I personally like him. Well, except the whinning part, I don't see how he is a whinner. Quite the opposite, he has a really terrible luck, but he always keeps making jokes; he sometimes feels like giving up, but keeps coming back; he may not be very powerful, just a street level hero if you like, but he keeps trying. He is no way perfect, he makes a lot of mistakes, but he always keeps fighting and coming out on top. That is what makes the character admirable, and what makes him (not using the term loosely) a hero.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

First of all, I find a lot of Marvel characters are, at heart, total jag weeds; that's not to say that I don't love to read about them, but it's not like I'm going to invite the Punisher over for dinner. 

Anyways, Spider-Man isn't like that. He's just some guy who can do things normal people can't. He's not all-powerful, he can't end worlds, he can barely hold his own against some B-stringers, but the thing about Spidey is; he just doesn't give up. He fights alongside the Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Ms Marvel; larger than life characters, but he never seems out of place. He is, perhaps more than any other character, a hero. He doesn't act heroically because he is seeking revenge, or because he has insurmountable power, he just does what he knows is right. And more often than not, he winds up paying for it. 

Maybe even more than all that, it's because there are so many tragic heroes in this day and age, it's nice to see someone, whose life may be tragic, be a genuinely good and optimistic person. 

Spider-Man is Marvel's best character for a reason; he's the pinnacle of what it is to be a hero. Acting out of a selfless desire to help others.

Having the best quote ever as your motto doesn't hurt either.

growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By growup

3  reasons 

1. He is a nerd at heart which makes him a great deal more endearing to a significant portion of comic readers,  
    2. He also provides hope for the "socially inept" , that they too can eventually get a hot girlfriend.
    3. As FadeToBlackBolt said  " he just does what he knows is right. And more often than not, he winds up paying for it".
    4. The costume, it's timeless and it's awesome. 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Red_Justice said:
     2. He also provides hope for the "socially inept" , that they too can eventually get a hot girlfriend.

Dude! I hadn't even thought of that! Extra points for Spidey.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Jotham

I do think his nerdiness is part of it, but more than that, he's just a normal human guy that we can relate to. His problems are real but not earth-shattering. So for example, his boss may be a jerk, but he's not going to come home and find his wife in the refrigerator.
    Another thing is that his powers are cool, but not cosmic level so we can fantasize about having them, but still be able to imagine what it would be like.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GT-Man

hes AWESOME and will be better than supes in everyway but not sure about bats well hes espeileal BADA$$ with the black symbiote suite
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Peter is epic ^_^

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spidey 15
    @geraldthesloth said:
    "You've just named the reasons why half the people like him, because they can relate with him. "

What??? you say that people like him( included me) because he's a loser which he defenetly isn't ??!!! 

Anyway.... personaly i like spidey cause he has unique spectacular powers, even if he tell strange jokes he is a mutture guy who had learned from his teenage how to use his powers responsibly. Also his personal life can related with his heroic something that make him epic and cool hero..... Spidey is the best superhero ever imo...=]
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By KRYPTON

Well I'm pretty sure it's kind of obvious. He's an iconic character, half of the world must know who this character is. Also, he's like people in the real world. He began off as a nerdy kid (like most people in the real world) got bullied, beat up, etc. However, he was given a great power (which is the power that most of us want), he can take on any adversity, he can crawl up walls, sling webs, etc, and know when there is danger. So Spidey is like most of us in the real world, sure we won't get bitten by a radioactive spider, but Spider-man could of helped us realize that crime is bad. Like if a kid was getting bullied around in school, this kid eventually brought a gun to settle the conflict. However, maybe Spider-man helped this kid to realize that murder does not solve anything at all. I think that characters like Batman, Super-man, Captain America, and others, were not only created for us to enjoy, but to also give kids knowledge enough to know what is right and what is wrong.    

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By -Eclipse-

@Red_Justice said:

" 2. He also provides hope for the "socially inept" , that they too can eventually get a hot girlfriend.  "

And eventually lose said girl in a deal with the devil! Yay! :D 

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:

"Peter is epic ^_^ "

Well said, CPG :P

Everyone else has pretty much hit the nail of the head. The 'man' part of Spider-man is what makes him so great. He's one of the most human characters out there. You could say that Batman is more human than Spidey, but Batman is a billionaire genius ninja dude who can fight with Gods. Not very human at all, really. I also think that Spider-man, out of all the heroes in the comic world, is the best when it comes to inspiring children. Superman can stand there and tell kids to eat their greens and respect their parents, but they won't listen to him. But Spidey is very effective in teaching children what is right. With great power comes great responsibility doesn't mean much to kids, but the way he acts and the things he does are just very inspirational. There's often a moral to his stories, which I feel is lacking in most story-telling nowadays. Too many stories are focused on darkness and actions and explosions, but Spidey teaches us lessons. Heck, I should know, Spider-man was a huge inspiration in my life. I don't think I'd be the same person I am today if it weren't for him. I am (and I'm not saying this in an obnoxious way, I'm saying it because the people who know me tell me this) a nice guy. And I believe that I learnt how to be a nice guy from Spider-man. He's the type of person to stick his neck out for a total stranger, help an old lady cross the street, do a good deed for no other reason that he felt it was the right thing to do. In a way, Spidey is very much a 'boyscout'. But unlike the perfect, often stuckup character this term is used to describe, Spidey is more like an ACTUAL boy scout. If superheroes were in the scouts, Superman, Captain America and Cyclops would be the scout leaders, the so-called "perfect" people that tell us what to do. Pete is the kid who knows he isn't the best, but he TRIES his best. Perserverence, brains over brawn, strength of will, human decency and kindess. Spider-man teaches these lessons very well because he is a teacher we can understand and relate to. Again, I should know this, cause I learnt a LOT from Pete. Even my comedy, in that I often make witty comments at random points in the conversation rather than actual 'jokes'. If/when I ever have kids, I intend to force them to read my Spider-man comics, watch Spider-man on TV, in the movies, and have Spider-man wallpapers and bedspreads. I doubt my future wife would approve, but it's better than sticking Batman on their walls and having them grow up to be brooding loners, lol 

Oh, and I'm REALLY sleepy and actually almost dozed off halfway through that big paragraph, so be sure to let me know whether I actually made sense or not... xD

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By moviegeek17
    @-Eclipse-: 
    yeah that made a lot of sense lol. nicely said
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sexy_merc
    "I've never asked for much. Like everyone else, I know the odds are always against us. That's just the way the universe works. I don't want guarantees, promises, assurances or false hopes. All I've ever asked is for one chance to stand on my own feet and give it my best shot. Succeed or fail, live or die, if I know I tried, then I can accept whatever happens.    
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123

I only read about him for the villians. And it's funny to see how he can always manage to screw up a good thing... seriously. It's like a superpower.

SuperGamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By SuperGamera

spiderman  is just cool
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Red_Justice said:
    " 3  reasons  1. He is a nerd at heart which makes him a great deal more endearing to a significant portion of comic readers,  2. He also provides hope for the "socially inept" , that they too can eventually get a hot girlfriend.3. As FadeToBlackBolt said  " he just does what he knows is right. And more often than not, he winds up paying for it".4. The costume, it's timeless and it's awesome.  "
    Um...
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22  Edited By The_Martian

For me:

• Genius: He may not be exactly Reed Richards or Tony Stark, but Peter is one of the smartest guys around. Most battles he enters, Peter is the underdog but manages to pull of the win by using his head.
    • Spider-Sense: I love this power. I always have. I don't really have to explain why.
    • Responsibility: Peter has a strong sense of responsibility. This comes in the form of putting pretty much the weight of the world on his shoulders.
    • Humor: Peter has a sense of humor that is dorky and annoying to others around him. He uses this to help him forget about his problem at hand as well as distract whoever he is fighting. Its usually clever and fun to read as well.
    • Luck: Peter has some of the worst luck out of all comics. This comes to friends, family, jobs, and just being a hero. If something can happen, it happens to him. I think just about anybody can relate to feeling like this. Does Peter complain about his luck? Sure, but who wouldn't when you got the kinds of problems he has.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Korg

I can't stand Spider-Man. He's like Luke Skywalker from A New Hope, but with no Han Solo to distract from his constant whining. Every time I give Spidey a chance, I regret it. He's just unbearably lame. He's fine in guest appearances where he mostly just fights and quips a bit, but stories that get into Peter Parker territory... no thank you.

SuperGamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By SuperGamera

he is just fun to see
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    "You've just named the reasons why half the people like him, because they can relate with him. "

What??? you say that people like him( included me) because he's a loser which he defenetly isn't ??!!!  "
    Actually, yes.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    Then this means WAR......

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Korg said:
    " I can't stand Spider-Man. He's like Luke Skywalker from A New Hope, but with no Han Solo to distract from his constant whining. Every time I give Spidey a chance, I regret it. He's just unbearably lame. He's fine in guest appearances where he mostly just fights and quips a bit, but stories that get into Peter Parker territory... no thank you. "
    What characters do you like? I don't think Spidey is as lame as you say but to each his own.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15:  Why would you get upset over that statement? Peter Parker knows he's a loser? Why can't you? Its why people love him(like me) or hate him.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    Well..... personaly i think that there are 2 kinds of a loser.... if spidey is a loser in his life then yes i agree.... but as a hero i'm sure he isn't...=]
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Korg
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "What characters do you like?"
    That's a long list, and this isn't really the place for it.

@Sexy Merc said:
    "I don't think Spidey is as lame as you say but to each his own. "
    Oh, I'm well aware that I'm in the minority. Spider-Man is hugely popular, and I understand why to an extent, but he just holds no appeal for me personally.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody: Well..... personaly i think that there are 2 kinds of a loser.... if spidey is a loser in his life then yes i agree.... but as a hero i'm sure he isn't...=] "
    Actually as a hero, he is generally considered a loser. He is respected as a hero, but  everyone knows him as a dorky loser. Kinda annoying too.
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ARMIV

Spiderman is just...I dunno, but he's awesome for it.

The costume maybe?
     The costume maybe?
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    That's just too bad.... why someone consider him as a loser... a hero like him is the best.... he saves lives for so many years and fights people a way out of his league and still beat them due to his intelligent and that he never gives up.... he has a strange sense of humor but still be an enjoyable hero... it's just to stupid to consider him as a loser imo...=]
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By devilmanex

I don't consider him inept or a loser he just has really REALLY bad luck.  If Pete was such a loser he wouldn't have such a prolific date life.  Out of several characters in both the Marvel and DCU writers ALWAYS write a potential love interest for  Peter.  Its not like he ogles over chics and the affection is unrequited.  There are always female characters that vie for his affection which implies even though he might be a little nerdy cuz he's smart he must be a decent looking guy.  I also feel when writers write him as nerdy and silly it makes him come off as endearing and somewhat charismatic.  Chics love funny guys!  Pete has bad luck with the women due to circumstance which is also the reason he has bad luck with steady employment.  If it wasn't for the bad luck that he gets into leading a double life I have no doubt he would be one of Marvel's playboys.  As smart as he is he would of definitely found steady promising employment in NYC where he can make serious money.  Spider man actually is the MAN...he's just unlucky and that's fun to read.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody: That's just too bad.... why someone consider him as a loser... a hero like him is the best.... he saves lives for so many years and fights people a way out of his league and still beat them due to his intelligent and that he never gives up.... he has a strange sense of humor but still be an enjoyable hero... it's just to stupid to consider him as a loser imo...=] "
    And the public hates him :) In a world were heroes are loved and respected, Spider-Man is hated and treated like a menace.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Korg

Spider-Man's only real love interest is his Aunt May. People need to learn to accept this. They have been setting up the Peter/Spider-Man/Aunt May/J. Jonah Jameson love quadrangle for years now.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    This is the worst that could happen.... for so many years spidey helped those people...then appeares a missunderstanding... maybe because of J.J or something.... and then people hate him.... it's just to annoying,,,,=[
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody: This is the worst that could happen.... for so many years spidey helped those people...then appeares a missunderstanding... maybe because of J.J or something.... and then people hate him.... it's just to annoying,,,,=[ "
    If  you don't like Spidey most profound qualities, I suggest finding a new hero :P
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody said:
    " @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody: This is the worst that could happen.... for so many years spidey helped those people...then appeares a missunderstanding... maybe because of J.J or something.... and then people hate him.... it's just to annoying,,,,=[ "
    If  you don't like Spidey most profound qualities, I suggest finding a new hero :P "

What??? of course i won't do that.....=P 

I'm just saying my opinion.... i mean it's just bad to hate someone because he helps you.... but this events just make him more interesting....that's all...=]
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By growup
    @InnerVenom123: oops
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    Hey Nob....... do you like the OMD and BND???
    TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Like the others said he is a loser, and we can relate to him. And he also has that irritating sense of humor. :-D 

If you look at Batman, for instance, he is effing rich while webhead is the complete opposite!

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44  Edited By The Jeff

I like Spidey because he is believable, has a cool costume, and the best supporting cast/rogues gallery. plus his ideals are  honorable and like me, has a dead father

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Martian
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody: Hey Nob....... do you like the OMD and BND??? "
    I love BND, but I don't like OMD.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody:
    IMO there isn't pretty much difference but you could say that OMD was a lot worst..=]
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By moviegeek17

does anyone think omit will be any good. i'm nervous about it to be honest

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RonSiconolfi
    @Emerald Warrior said:
    "Enter Peter Parker. A nerdy teen (though he's sometimes portrayed almost as a pre-teen or a dude in his early 20's) who doesn't get any respect, almost NEVER gets anything right (or even thanked for saving someone), who whines ALL FRIGGIN' DAY about everything that happens to him, whose friends and/or allies always end up going nuts and trying to kill him, and whose loved ones always pay the price for him being a "hero" (and I use the term loosely).  

He's socially inept, he can't deal with women and he's given up his hero gig half a dozen times!!!

He is the epitome of what a loser is, the embodiment of nerdiness, the poster child for the word geek!!! 

Yet so many comics fans LOVE him!!!    I don't mean to put Spidey down, but i don't think anyone here can argue with my (perhaps harsh) description of him here.  I just want to know why despite all of this, so many people find him (and everything he is) "relatable"?!?! can anyone try to explain?  "

why do people like the green lantern so much? oh wait nobody likes the green lantern--hes lame and boring
    Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Speedy92286
    @RonSiconolfi said:
    " @Emerald Warrior said:
    "Enter Peter Parker. A nerdy teen (though he's sometimes portrayed almost as a pre-teen or a dude in his early 20's) who doesn't get any respect, almost NEVER gets anything right (or even thanked for saving someone), who whines ALL FRIGGIN' DAY about everything that happens to him, whose friends and/or allies always end up going nuts and trying to kill him, and whose loved ones always pay the price for him being a "hero" (and I use the term loosely).  

Yet so many comics fans LOVE him!!!    I don't mean to put Spidey down, but i don't think anyone here can argue with my (perhaps harsh) description of him here.  I just want to know why despite all of this, so many people find him (and everything he is) "relatable"?!?! can anyone try to explain?  "
    why do people like the green lantern so much? oh wait nobody likes the green lantern--hes lame and boring "
    Hey! I like Green Lan...wait, which one?
    RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RonSiconolfi
    @Speedy92286 said:
    " @RonSiconolfi said:
    " @Emerald Warrior said:

why do people like the green lantern so much? oh wait nobody likes the green lantern--hes lame and boring "
    Hey! I like Green Lan...wait, which one? "

hal jordan...the original

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.