Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I have some very bad news for all of Pete's fans!

• 82 results
    darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@br_havoc said:

There is no way in hell they will cancel Peter's books. He is in the Marvel promo art for the post Secret Wars universe. Miles will be A spider-man, Bendis just did that interview to drum up press and get the progressive band wagon jumpers on the new title. Amazing Spider-Man will most likely be relaunched with a more mature Peter who balances Superhero work, With being a CEO with being a family man ( Expecting his marriage and daughter to come over from Secret War)

But that's not the problem. A lot of people are worried that Miles will overshadow Peter and replace him.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@br_havoc said:

There is no way in hell they will cancel Peter's books. He is in the Marvel promo art for the post Secret Wars universe. Miles will be A spider-man, Bendis just did that interview to drum up press and get the progressive band wagon jumpers on the new title. Amazing Spider-Man will most likely be relaunched with a more mature Peter who balances Superhero work, With being a CEO with being a family man ( Expecting his marriage and daughter to come over from Secret War)

But that's not the problem. A lot of people are worried that Miles will overshadow Peter and replace him.

I hate to say this but it will never happen. Miles Morales is Bendis's pet project it means a lot to him but no matter what Miles is just another Spider-Man, Just like Ben, Miguel or Otto. Peter Parker is THE Spider-Man.

Also lets just look at sales before Miles book is a good seller but Peter's title which has been heavily criticized for the last 8 years still out sold it by a ton. At the end of the day Marvel is a business and they want press to build hype but they are not dumb enough to sacrifice profit

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@br_havoc: What this gentleman said, There's is only one true Spider-Man and his name is Peter Parker. This just a filler project.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@vivide said:

Fine, since they explicitly said no coloured or homosex people for spiderman films

Uh, no. They "explicitly said" Peter Parker can't be anything other than a st8 and European (white) male. Spider-Man in the films can be gay and not "white" as long as there is comicbook continuity that has previously established this character i.e. and/or e.g. Miles Morales.

Anyways, is Morales half Puerto Rican or half Mexican, I remember reading somewhere he was half Mexican but now I keep reading that he's half Puerto Rican. I know probably the same thing to others but for me, it is very important. (+)

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Don't care. Spider Gwen>>>>than the current run of ASM. Even Spider woman's book and Silk's run interest me more than what Slott it doing with Peter.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@blackspidey2099 said:
    @darklordx123 said:
    @vegandiet said:

@blackspidey2099: 100% serious. Slott's work is borderline character assassination and is truly some of the worst spider-man stories I have ever read. Would straight up rather Peter be written out of continuity entirely than for Slott to still be writing him.

No way. I'd rather have Slott write than have nobody write. While he may not write the best Spider-Man stories, they definitely are not the worst. Slott has written some pretty s***tty stories, such as Alpha or the whole Silk thing, but he has written some competent stories as well such as Big Time and Superior Spider-Man.

Slott has done a few things to the character, such as keeping him locked in a perpetual state of manchildness, but most of the things he's done are things future writers can change really easily.

I don't want future writers to change anything from Slott's run except the perpetual man child stuff. Spidey is a genius, not a mere photographer or teacher.

See, that's what's so frustrating about his run. There's lots of interesting ideas going on, but there's a fundamental misunderstanding of Peter that makes his run unreadable to me.

Yeah, I agree. If JMS or someone with a good understanding of Peter's core character were writing this same plot, I think everyone would love it. However, I am a little scared that a new writer may regress Peter once again.

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:
    @darklordx123 said:
    @vegandiet said:

@blackspidey2099: 100% serious. Slott's work is borderline character assassination and is truly some of the worst spider-man stories I have ever read. Would straight up rather Peter be written out of continuity entirely than for Slott to still be writing him.

No way. I'd rather have Slott write than have nobody write. While he may not write the best Spider-Man stories, they definitely are not the worst. Slott has written some pretty s***tty stories, such as Alpha or the whole Silk thing, but he has written some competent stories as well such as Big Time and Superior Spider-Man.

Slott has done a few things to the character, such as keeping him locked in a perpetual state of manchildness, but most of the things he's done are things future writers can change really easily.

I don't want future writers to change anything from Slott's run

Changing things is part of any new writer's modus operandi. If they're not allowed to shake anything up to their satisfaction, the character will remain in a state of stagnation. Peter being a junior Tony Stark bores me and many others to death and takes away from him being an everyman, I find him being a photographer/teacher or forensic scientist (as in Spider-Girl) more relatable

But don't you find it extremely unbelievable that someone of Peter's intellect, one of the smartest in the world, is stuck being a photographer when he could do so much more?

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
    Cpt_FacePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was okay with this, and then I saw who was writing it.

I despise Bendis. Wih a passion.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LastOblivion

@blazingnova said:

Don't care. Spider Gwen>>>>than the current run of ASM. Even Spider woman's book and Silk's run interest me more than what Slott it doing with Peter.

Agreed.
    Although I like Slott's work, this volume has been really... Meh. Spider-Verse was pretty awesome, but that was about it.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

SpOck >> Miles >>>>>>>>>>Peter

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

;_; No no no no no no no no no oh god no no no no no no no ;_; Miles is not as awesome as Peter. I think I may stop reading Marvel .-._.-.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

SpOck >> Miles >>>>>>>>>>Peter

SpOck>Miguel>Peter>>Kaine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miles

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was okay with this, and then I saw who was writing it.

I despise Bendis. Wih a passion.

His Ultimate Spider-man work is actually extremely solid.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't sound too bad, actually.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Flicker

I'm more invested in Peter Parker more so than Spider-man, so if Parker's role is minimized I'll be saving my money.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: I thought that wasnt 616 peter. Isn't he with the raft?

If I is I need to pick the renew your vows storyline up. I heard it was good so I might just do it anyways but is it 616 peter?

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangetales: Renew Your Vows is not with 616 Peter. But you should pick it up for two reasons:

1. It's decent, especially for Slott. Read some reviews to get a better idea of quality.

2. If it sells well we have a higher chance of Marvel giving us a family man type Peter Parker.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darklordx123: Thanks, cool. May just pick it up when I go in Saturday.

Can't go wrong with more spidey

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @darklordx123 said:
    @vegandiet said:

No way. I'd rather have Slott write than have nobody write. While he may not write the best Spider-Man stories, they definitely are not the worst.

Got any more jokes?

Dan's best work was either eight to seven years ago as part of the BND team, or when he was writing a married Spidey back in the early 2000s (which is the reason RYV is such a hit even with people who don't like his work), Superior is one of the most overrated Spider-Man stories ever and is salvaged only by the great spin-off titles it launched. Everything in the main book was an insult to the readers intelligence as well as the characters intelligence.

There are far better writers than Dan out there that can save this book, why would you have him rather than nobody? Because you're so used to settling for mediocre storytelling and bad characterization?

^^^THIS^^^

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Tyger

You know, they've attempted to replace Peter before, with a clone of himself named Ben Reilly.

It didn't work out so well.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm black, and I could care less for Miles.

Bring back PETER!!!!

But...but how can you relate to Peter....you mean that the color of ones skin does not matter....please tell this to Marvel.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:

I'm black, and I could care less for Miles.

Bring back PETER!!!!

But...but how can you relate to Peter....you mean that the color of ones skin does not matter....please tell this to Marvel.

Right?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#74  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I haven't read anything with Miles in it so I can't judge him to much. However I will say this: Peter definitely hasn't been the Peter i first came to love for a long time. The character was horribly regressed following OMD and then replaced by Doc Ock for longer then I even want to remember. I'd take a fresh slate like Miles over Ock all day/every day. At least Miles doesn't spit in the face of everything Pete stands for.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By clonesaga2099

@avenging_x_bolt said:

I haven't read anything with Miles in it so I can't whether judge him to much. However I will say this: Peter definitely hasn't been the Peter i first came to love for a long time. The character was horribly regressed following old and then replaced by Doc Ock for longer then I even want to remember. I'd take a fresh slate like Miles over Ock all day/every day. At least Miles doesn't spit in the face of everything Pete stands for.

No Caption Provided

Exactly this. Whoever Slott is writing, it's not Peter Parker, so I for one welcome our new Miles as the main Spider-Man stories.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well I don't like Bendis as a person and as a writer, and I definitely don't care for Miles. While Marvel has been acting really dumb recently, I don't think it will go down to the point where they will replace their posterboy/Iconic character. I'm sure he will get his own title. If Marvel for some reason replaces Pete I'm done with Marvel..

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I been a long time spider man fan, but there's come a time when the character and story no longer resonate with you. So it is with sad tidings that I guess I'll part ways with the SPider titles, like how Hal Jordan fanboys back in the day dropped GL because of Kyle. I'l drop my the Spiderman title until Peter :Rebirth series. It was a fun ride, but at least there still the marvel cinematic universe.

No, it is not because I dislike Miles, but he's just doesn't entertain me. It has nothing to do with race or color. I also quit the spider title when the Scarlet Spider took over for a while too. Now is it a good thing what they doing with Miles? Sure. It would bring more black kids to reading spider man and give them something to dream about, they even have their own color coded costume for that unlike the Japanese Spiderman who was just an Asian peter parker.

I am sure even though I quit the title, there will be 4-5 new reader of hispanic and black descent who would pick up the title. I look forward to ten years from now when they bring peter back and there is a huge argument over who's the better spiderman.

My only hope is that Miles actually get a good villian gallery and not Peter rehashed ones.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zarius
    No Caption Provided

Peter's branching out with P.I

There, he's still around. Can we please drop this doom-casting crap now?

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Im sorry. I posted this before the new amazing title was revealed.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.