Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

I don't see how people think Peter Parker is an normal guy

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The everyman argument, he's human, flawed, he's just like us, he's us behind a mask. First of all, Spidey is a mutated superhero who crawls on walls and knows instinctively how to move and fight like a ninja, plus he's a gifted level genius who so happens to marry super models, date cat burglars, and sex up other spider women and some other heroines. I believe Spidey is short sited for his whole comicbook history not relateable(to many adventures outside of new York, invents shit that impresses geniuses like reed and Pym, fought and likely befriended every marvel hero and on a lesser note the respect of villians, saved realities, defeated villians that are stronger than him and outsmarted opponents smarter than him, and was possibly gonna be a millionare if he maintained his own science company), Clint Barton and Hydra Bob are more normal everyday guys than Peter is. And they don't live down a world of epic heroic adventures just because they are powerless and feel like muggles in a world of gods and devils, they are more human because they want to escape from reality and not to it.

Peter so far has contradicted himself thinking he's less than nothing compared to the Avengers he so call idolizes, and he's in denial to think he's doesn't got what it takes because he has been a top ace since day one along with a life that many would envy than not embrace, in short their human desires which Spidey spits at since he can't have a selfish human desire because of his unhealthy notion of responsibility and self sabotage for others which is okay if your like Batman who is known as a kook. And I never got this idea that New York has to be something he's responsible for since now that he's saves lives he should focus that strength on protecting the entirety of the USA or at least all the cites in America rampant on crime and corruption.

Did I mention he was cables prophesied hero that became the savior of the future.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone actually like the "everyman" thing?

I only ask that because normally the way a lot of writers interpret that is as "big loser who is poor and lives with his Aunt." That's the major problem with modern Spider-Man, he's not inspiring anymore, he's a caricature pretending to be relatable. Personally, I didn't try to relate to him so much, as much as I admired how far he came from his origins.

When I first discovered Spider-Man, it was on the PS1 game. At that point all I knew was he fights crimes, has a super-model wife, and sometimes makes jokes. Before that, I wasn't really into Spider-Man, and thought he was kind of lame. I didn't think there would be anything cool about a guy with spider powers until I played that game and wanted to learn more about the world he was from.

Fortunately a cousin of mine, happened to be have some comics from the Clone Saga and I read them and I loved it, but was confused about the continuity. Eventually I got a chance to read the earlier comics.

When Spider-Man started he was a shy bookworm who didn't socialize in highschool, because he was timid, but the Spider game him the confidence he needed to start actually being a part of the world. He was angry at the world, since he had been picked on and felt he had something to prove,but soon he mellowed out and managed to get lots of friends, even his old bully Flash Thompson. That's pretty inspiring, since instead of just beating up Flash and staying bitter, Peter grew up and like an adult buried a school-yard grudge and gained a trusted friend, despite what lots of media tries to tell you about Flash. He started off with people thinking he was a menace, and eventually managed to earn the respect of the Avengers. The best part was that he did it all on his own, he didn't have unlimited funds or an organization., but what he did have was determination, a sense of humor, and some ingenuity.

What Peter represents is basically a very human desire. He shows that a person, no matter their origin, could become something bigger than anyone may have expected when they work hard with what they have been given. He was given an opportunity by his powers, but in the Marvel universe he's not the strongest, but he's made it work.

I don't like Spider-Man because he is poor and has a hard time paying bills, I admire him for his confidence and overcoming the obstacles he comes across. Whiny "Crazy Town Banana pants" Peter Parker is no Spider-Man, it doesn't make him "relatable" it makes him frustrating. When they make him fanboy over the Avengers and wish he was them they're changing his narrative. It turns him to another passive observer who just sits around watching celebrities saying "I wish! I wish!" instead of a person who goes out and believes in themselves and tries to be the best person they can be. You don't need to be a celebrity to be able to inspire, you don't need to tons in your bank account to be worth something.

Sorry about the essay.

tl;dr I don't care that he's not relatable. I just want him to be inspiring.

voldo2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My take on Spider man.

You have to remember that Spider man came out in the 1940's so maybe back than, he was more relatable to the teens. Before Spider man came out, most Super heroes were wealthy......so how could someone build a connection with someone who could just buy everything they needed. I can relate to him being an outcast but not the bully part. Never had that issue.

"I don't like Spider-Man because he is poor and has a hard time paying bills"

I like that he has to struggle. I remember trying to make ends meat when I first moved out. He went through some hard times but he held on. What I really like about him is when he is wrong, he'll admit it and try his best to fix it. Only one that comes to mind right now is the Civil War. Lol, there were times i would go to my college class late and joke to myself "I wouldn't have been late if I didn't have to stop that arm robbery" (Just like Peter would be thinking when he was late for his school classes....i just wish it was true for me being late to class lol) He works with what he has and makes the best of it.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By magnetic_eye

@voldo2006 said:

My take on Spider man.

You have to remember that Spider man came out in the 1940's so maybe back than, he was more relatable to the teens. Before Spider man came out, most Super heroes were wealthy......so how could someone build a connection with someone who could just buy everything they needed. I can relate to him being an outcast but not the bully part. Never had that issue.

I like that he has to struggle. I remember trying to make ends meat when I first moved out. He went through some hard times but he held on. What I really like about him is when he is wrong, he'll admit it and try his best to fix it. Only one that comes to mind right now is the Civil War. Lol, there were times i would go to my college class late and joke to myself "I wouldn't have been late if I didn't have to stop that arm robbery" (Just like Peter would be thinking when he was late for his school classes....i just wish it was true for me being late to class lol) He works with what he has and makes the best of it.

You have to remember that Spider man came out in the 1940's

Spider-Man first appeared in "Amazing Fantasy" #15 (August 1962) and debuted in his own ongoing series "The Amazing Spider-Man" #1 (March 1963)

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My take on Spider man.

Failing is good as a once in a blue moon circumstance, but being perpetually failing at life like losing your company you worked for and won apparently the novelty gets old and you start to question the characters validation as a inspiring symbol.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By blackspidey2099
    Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

The everyman isn't supposed to be bland. Peter has his own quirks, just like everyone else. Just because he's a genius goes out with super model doesn't mean he's not relatable, it just means he's unique and maturing. Just like everyone else.

fatalogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: but I feel like they don't let him mature.It's like they think he can't have success because that makes him unrelatable. I think its the opposite being able to balance his job, family and super hero personality is what would make him relatable. Substitute hobbies for being a super hero and that's what most adult lives look like ,trying to balance the various aspects.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.