Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How would you make Spider-Man a better character?

• 59 results
    Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If you were writing him, because a lot of people love to bash the character for being a certain way, so what would you do differently that makes him worth a dang in your eyes.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would get rid of OMD

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By w0nd

they get him one step forward two step back. He is built up, then stripped down everything he accomplished, and then build him back up to do it all over again. I would let him keep some of his achievements once in a while.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zarius

Undo OMD and give Peter and MJ a kid and see where that goes. Also maybe try to get him into the police department's crime labs

In short...just make MC2's timeline canon. It's about the only one that 'gets' him right.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would show off his intelligence more and his company would provide his resources for being spiderman. Also hate how his spider sense is advertised so well in some comics, then he gets hit by slower street levelers in others. Just better continuity I guess.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have JMS and JRJR work on ASM for the rest of time. and keep OMD, its one of the best stories. JMS would do an amazing story of them getting back together.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Pretty much get rid off everything Joe Quesada and his minions did.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8  Edited By MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

1.Undo OMD it's a terrible editorial mandate that has left a black-eye on the character. I guarantee that if you make a story that undoes it you'll get more readers.

2.Write the character as an adult. I feel that JMS did a very good job on this.

3. Don't do something like superior where you kill him off in an undignified manner and replace him over a year deconstructing the entire series.

4. When bringing in a character make sure you have some stories you want too use them for particularly if they're brought back from the dead. I'm looking at you Harry.

5. Don't derail existing characters in favor of your own.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd have Doc Ock take up permanent residence in his brain

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let him grow up and get rid of the "Old Parker Luck". Honestly, I cannot say how much I hate that phrase. I hate the concept of it, I hate it uttered, I hate that anytime something bad happens to Peter Parker that might be life destorying but isn't Spider related is just the old Parker luck. I get that Spider-man should have problems in his life. I get that not all of his problems should be villain related, but I just hate the concept that it is somehow all this unavoidable curse that is plastered upon him and he is some sort of powerless victim to improve his life at all.

Also, they need to let him catch a break sometimes. Like seriously. Spider-man shouldn't be depressing. Tragic events can happen, everyday isn't always a good day where he's concerned, but the series shouldn't feel emotionally damaging either...

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would permanently kill off Doc Ock.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

put him & mj together marrry them again

make his villians like electro have more background & be a real threat.

Don't join the Avengers, i like him best when he is a loner.

give him some fighting styles, so he know how to fight

move Aunt May to a Nursery Home.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By magnetic_eye

@DarkDay :

Let him grow up and get rid of the "Old Parker Luck". Honestly, I cannot say how much I hate that phrase. I hate the concept of it, I hate it uttered, I hate that anytime something bad happens to Peter Parker that might be life destorying but isn't Spider related is just the old Parker luck. I get that Spider-man should have problems in his life. I get that not all of his problems should be villain related, but I just hate the concept that it is somehow all this unavoidable curse that is plastered upon him and he is some sort of powerless victim to improve his life at all.Also, they need to let him catch a break sometimes. Like seriously. Spider-man shouldn't be depressing. Tragic events can happen, everyday isn't always a good day where he's concerned, but the series shouldn't feel emotionally damaging either...

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

Step 1: Fire Dan Slott

Step 2: Replace Beenox

Step 3: Cancel Ultimate Spider-Man (TV series)

Step 4: Reboot Spider-Man film franchise

Too easy.

hayley566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

1.) Get rid of OMD and let him and MJ have Mayday.

2.) Stop using "Parker Luck" as a reason to keep beating him down.

3.) write him as an adult.

4.) don't make his supporting cast idiots.

5.) fire dan slott.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant make the greatest creation in the world any better... I really cant. (I'd fire Wacker).

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Different writer.

devinwifi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.Replace beenox

2.Write the character as an adult.

3.More time with the Avengers

4. Stop making everything in his life horrible.

5. Learn martial artists and beat up captain america :D

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. Spotlight Parker's innate intelligence more - show that Peter is as important to Spider-Man as the actual powers

2. Get MJ and Pete back together

3. Upgrade his stats (Other levels or even higher)

4. Let him keep his awesome technological suits, or at least incorporate the tech into his classic costume if Marvel wants to have the same design

5. Keep him working at Parker Industries.

6. Get Marcos Martin back as an artist.

7. Give him larger roles in big events rather than being just a punching bag of jokes (like AvX #9)

8. More Avengers Spidey

9. Get a bigger and better developer (maybe Sucker Punch?) to develop his games

10. Have a bunch of rotating artists and authors like back in BND.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By magnetic_eye

@cloakx14 said:

put him & mj together marrry them again

make his villians like electro have more background & be a real threat.

Don't join the Avengers, i like him best when he is a loner.

give him some fighting styles, so he know how to fight

move Aunt May to a Nursery Home.

Yes! to all of this.

No Caption Provided

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By magnetic_eye
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

If the only widely accepted way that Spider-Man can be a better character is to put him back with MJ, then he wasn't a very good character to begin with.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make him stop being such a pansy most of the time.

Seriously, the guy is literally the strongest street-leveler of like all time, and yet 99% of the time people who shouldn't be able to even touch him are manhandling him.

He could easily be mid-tier if he got right.

I would make a series where Aunt May puts his Spider-Man costume in the washer even though it's dry clean only. This sets him off on a blood rage, where he proceeds to beat down every single one of his rogues gallery. In fact, he beats up everybody.

Like I'm talking a spree of beating down every street-level character he can find.

Actually, why stop at street-level? Hulk and Iron Man are going down too!

You know what? It's my series. Surfer is getting pounded as well.

Jmarshmallow

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

If the only widely accepted way that Spider-Man can be a better character is to put him back with MJ, then he wasn't a very good character to begin with.

It's not the only way but OMD is a blackeye on the character that people want too see go away. It'd be like if Batman shot Jim Gordon and no one said anything. The teases for a reversal don't exactly help matters.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By magnetic_eye

1.) Get rid of OMD and let him and MJ have Mayday.

2.) Stop using "Parker Luck" as a reason to keep beating him down.

3.) write him as an adult.

4.) don't make his supporting cast idiots.

5.) fire dan slott.

Write him as an adult the way it was for decades.

No Caption Provided

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

It's not the only way but OMD is a blackeye on the character that people want too see go away. It'd be like if Batman shot Jim Gordon and no one said anything. The teases for a reversal don't exactly help matters.

It's a black eye, sure. But it happened years ago and most of the stories that came after have been really enjoyable if one can just let OMD go.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@master_of_suprise said:

@erik said:

It's a black eye, sure. But it happened years ago and most of the stories that came after have been really enjoyable if one can just let OMD go.

I'm not saying there haven't been good stories since OMD. I'm saying OMD was never necessary for any of those stories. Most of them could've easily been told with a married Peter. The only plots they really eliminate are those with love interest that have received mild interest at best or at worst made us want said interest to go away. That being said it's far from the only problem right now.

Avatar image for tenebrous_guile
    Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were writing him, because a lot of people love to bash the character for being a certain way, so what would you do differently that makes him worth a dang in your eyes.

Make him grow the hell up. He's god damn thirty and I'm tired of Quesada thinking he should be a teenager forever.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

The character life was going one direction, it was obvious since day one where Spiderman life was going, being married with MJ means Spiderman its getting into an adult.

Spiderman was always about growing up, MJ means Peter life going forward.

OMD its so hated because it became Spiderman in what Joe Quesada wanted, the forever teen Parker.

They can say anything they want about his age, but they will never let him grow up anymore.

Heck they even killed him in the Ultimate universe.

Rangerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rangerion

I don't think they should get rid of the banter. I don't think there needs to be a personal crisis in his life. Perhaps there needs to be a situation where he realizes he's old already. He can't stay a teenager forever.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@master_of_suprise said:

@erik said:

I'm not saying there haven't been good stories since OMD. I'm saying OMD was never necessary for any of those stories. Most of them could've easily been told with a married Peter. The only plots they really eliminate are those with love interest that have received mild interest at best or at worst made us want said interest to go away. That being said it's far from the only problem right now.

I agree. OMG was a complete cop-out and an extremely lazy way to undo the marriage of MJ.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

The character life was going one direction, it was obvious since day one where Spiderman life was going, being married with MJ means Spiderman its getting into an adult.

OMD its so hated because it became Spiderman in what Joe Quesada wanted, the forever teen Parker.

They can say anything they want about his age, but they will never let him grow up anymore.

Peter is not a teen even now.

Ultimate Peter's death had nothing to do with his age.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have him shoot webbing out of his butthole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him how he is now. He's written like an adult. Just a fun loving adult.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@erik said:

Peter is not a teen even now.

Ultimate Peter's death had nothing to do with his age.

His life is going backwards, this means they will keep him forever at some point.

Is just a matter of time until, some brilliant master mind decide he doesnt like Peter not being a teen and bring him back.

He cant go forward.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Erik

His life is going backwards, this means they will keep him forever at some point.

Is just a matter of time until, some brilliant master mind decide he doesnt like Peter not being a teen and bring him back.

He cant go forward.

Unless they retcon the universe, that's not going to happen. The teen years have been over for years.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimishim12

Theres a bunch of fictional main heroes who don't ever grow up and are still lovable great protagonists examples are The Warden from Superjail, Goku, and Kotetsu Kisaragi from Tiger and Bunny.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By magnetic_eye

jayc1324: said

No he's not. IMO, he's written like a goofball man-child, not as a responsible mature adult. More like an immature prepubescent cartoon character.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he's not. IMO, he's written like a goofball man-child, not as a responsible mature adult. More like an immature prepubescent cartoon character.

Well why do so many love Deadpool and Hawkeye. And from DC, Guy Gardner?

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMetalGearZero

Did I mention that I'd fire Wacker?

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want them to stop regressing all the progress and wisdom he usually gains. He can still have that great sense of humor and learn from past mistakes. And enough with the memory wipes! Guy saves the world so many times and he always had to sacrifice something personal to do it while everyone else has to forget what he did including himself.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And that is the thing, they can say anything about his age, but he isnt acting like a mature man anymore.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: said @magnetic_eye said:

jayc1324: saidI like him how he is now. He's written like an adult. Just a fun loving adult.

Deadpool, Hawkeye and Guy all have their own distinctive personalities. It doesn't mean Spider-Man has to be fashioned in the same way. A character that is only a fun loving carefree immature twit is both very silly and very one dimensional.

Spider-Man uses comedy effectively and only when needed. He is not a comedian in a sit-com. He is an intelligent and mature age super hero.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd remove this company crap off - Peter Parker is meant to be relatable - his appeal is that he isn't a billion dollar man or an alien from another universe.

Oh - and did I mention I'd fire Wacker?

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As everyone's been saying write him as an adult. Lately he's been acting more like your typical shonen manga character.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: said @magnetic_eye said:

jayc1324: saidI like him how he is now. He's written like an adult. Just a fun loving adult.

Deadpool, Hawkeye and Guy all have their own distinctive personalities. It doesn't mean Spider-Man has to be fashioned in the same way. A character that is only a fun loving carefree immature twit is both very silly and very one dimensional.

Spider-Man uses comedy effectively and only when needed. He is not a comedian in a sit-com. He is an intelligent and mature age super hero.

But he is immature naturally due to being a nerd and brainy yet awkward guy, he is a nerd and highly playful.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By magnetic_eye

@jimishim12 said:

@magnetic_eye said:

@jimishim12: said @magnetic_eye said:

But he is immature naturally due to being a nerd and brainy yet awkward guy, he is a nerd and highly playful.

Particular current writers have forgone the rest of Peter's character traits in favor of over emphasizing his comedic traits. It's very uncharacteristic when you compare it to Spider-Man's proper historical and thematic context.

Spider-Man is not defined by just being a funny smart-ass. It's really sad that he has been retconned this way in the past decade or so. Prior to this, whilst retaining comedic elements as part of his character traits, he was also an intelligent and mature super hero, a fact that seems to elude younger readers.

I don't see Spider-Man as naturally immature. That's just a regressive style in which certain writers of late have chosen to write him. To a smaller degree, Pete still exhibits nerdy, geeky and awkward qualities from time to time, but nowhere near as much when he is portrayed as a mature super hero. He left a lot of those traits (not all) behind. He learns from past mistakes and moves on by overcoming circumstances with dignity and maturity.

The notion of perpetuating a regressive Spider-Man by only his awkwardness and playfulness isn't very constructive to Spider-Man's identity nor as a relatable character.

I will stand by my previous comment that Spider-Man uses comedy effectively and only when needed. He is not a comedian in a sit-com. He is an intelligent and mature age super hero.

It's too bad Marvel have forgotten that very important fact too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.