How Will Spider-man #700 Make Peter Parker SUPERIOR

• 90 results
#1 Posted by constocorp (28 posts) - - Show Bio

By Now we've all probably seen this image and jumped to the conclusion that this has something to do with Amazing Spider-Man #700 which as Dan Slott says will have seismic changes on the Marvel Universe which begs the question how will Peter become superior or will someone else don the costume but as Dan Slott said everything has been building to this so what could this possibly mean?

Please share your thoughts with me below thanks- ConstoCorp

#2 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

who jumped to the conclusion that it has something to do with Amazing Spider-man?

#3 Posted by constocorp (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Read the article.

#4 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

what article?

#5 Posted by constocorp (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Read it here CBR, Bleeding Cool anywhere really originally everyone thought it was marvelman but then they said it might be ASM #700

#6 Posted by constocorp (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: The article about this teaser

#7 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll just be "Superior Spiderman", I don't think it has much to do with ASM 700.

#8 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm lets see. They made him lose his spider-sense so Shang could teach him martial arts, gave him a job in Horizon, placed him on two big teams and his new suit seems to be sporting some kind of tech. The only thing that I can possibly think of that could make him superior is he recently discovered Parker Particles right? These things allow him channel enough god damn energy to create an Alpha level threat.

Maybe he's going to find some way of incorporating them in his new suit? He's already been building tons of tech (Ends Of The Earth armor, cyro pellets, stealth suit etc...) considering the amount of power Parker Particles can generate if he could put them into the suit a la Hank Pym and his Pym Particles (thats another thing that makes me think they may have a connection. Pym used them in his suit. A nod to Pym perhaps?). Low doses of Parker Particles if controlled could probably increase his abilities by a wide margin. Then again i'm not sure i'd like a 100+tonner Spider-man running around.

But to be honest this could be the teaser for an X-men title. They are called Homo-Superior right?

#9 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Spidey? Alpha Spidey?

#10 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: omega spidey?

#11 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

why is Slott so bent on making Spider-Man a powerhouse and using his intelligence as a plot device? I feel like he is implicitly just trying to make Spider-man seem smarter than Batman? Does anyone else agree?

#12 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Justice: I disagree. Yes Slott has been giving a lot more attention to Peter's intelligence, but I don't think it's blown out of proportions. A lot of the time, Peter's brilliant ideas are pure coincidence and situational. He's quick on his feet and thinks his way out of situations he didn't expect to get in to. Whereas Batman uses his intelligence beforehand and prepares for several situations and their outcomes. I can hardly see his intelligence as a plot device, but you could certainly said this for Batman as well...

However, I do agree that Slott has slowly been building up Spider-Man's character (learning how to actually fight like a skilled warrior using his Spider powers to his benefit, using his intelligence more, giving Peter Parker a better job with access to high tech for his own gadgets, etc.) but this possibly could only be to tear him down so much harder. I know Slott is a huge Doctor Who-fan, so it wouldn't be impossible for him to have taken inspiration out of recent Doctor Who season where the central idea was for The Doctor "to rise higher than ever before, only to fall so much further", which could be happening to Spidey as well... Especially due to the claims Slott has made about issue 700.

#13 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Justice said:

why is Slott so bent on making Spider-Man a powerhouse and using his intelligence as a plot device? I feel like he is implicitly just trying to make Spider-man seem smarter than Batman? Does anyone else agree?

I agree but I don't think it's a bad thing; it does, however, conflict with one more day. They got rid of his marriage because it made him seem too old, now they are playing up his experience as a hero and natural intelligence with similar results. Delicious irony.

#14 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShirEPanjshir: Thats a really interesting take I hope your right

#15 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Justice said:

Not necessarily a powerhouse. By giving him a good job and resources, he just takes spidey's intelligent to another level, but not an impossible one. Also he just used his logic to make spidey use his powers properly. I mean, it's stupid for a character to exist for so long and never take some training, when some of his best friends are martial artists. Slott has just done, what it should be done long before.

:)

#16 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not but maybe Alpha will take over the series. I mean Alpha and Omega kinda mean Superior God Likeish right...

#17 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man. Doesn't really have the same ring as Amzing or Spectacular Spider-Man. Here's the link since the OP hasn't posted one yet: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-nycc-superior-announcement-2013.html

@ShirEPanjshir said:

@Red_Justice: I disagree. Yes Slott has been giving a lot more attention to Peter's intelligence, but I don't think it's blown out of proportions. A lot of the time, Peter's brilliant ideas are pure coincidence and situational. He's quick on his feet and thinks his way out of situations he didn't expect to get in to. Whereas Batman uses his intelligence beforehand and prepares for several situations and their outcomes. I can hardly see his intelligence as a plot device, but you could certainly said this for Batman as well...

However, I do agree that Slott has slowly been building up Spider-Man's character (learning how to actually fight like a skilled warrior using his Spider powers to his benefit, using his intelligence more, giving Peter Parker a better job with access to high tech for his own gadgets, etc.) but this possibly could only be to tear him down so much harder. I know Slott is a huge Doctor Who-fan, so it wouldn't be impossible for him to have taken inspiration out of recent Doctor Who season where the central idea was for The Doctor "to rise higher than ever before, only to fall so much further", which could be happening to Spidey as well... Especially due to the claims Slott has made about issue 700.

Interesting. I like a lot of what you've said here.

#18 Posted by ZenTzen (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman is one of the most intelligent of the marvel universe, hank pym says peter is smarter than him, and from IQ tests he made i think in college Reed Richards says hes had the same IQ test scores as Reed when he was peters age, lets look at is feats of intelligence over the years, he mad his webs and webshooters from equipment at home, during a battle he used an enemys weapon systems to make an electromagnetic pulse, created a serum for a flesh-eating desease in minutes, created a passcode to override iron mans suit safeguard as well as other feats, only now in the comics and with his job as he been able to fully utilize is inteligence

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said:

@Red_Justice said:

Not necessarily a powerhouse. By giving him a good job and resources, he just takes spidey's intelligent to another level, but not an impossible one. Also he just used his logic to make spidey use his powers properly. I mean, it's stupid for a character to exist for so long and never take some training, when some of his best friends are martial artists. Slott has just done, what it should be done long before.

I agree with Red, I though Spider-Man was meant to be the relateable one? I cant relate to a mega-smart super genius 
#20 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Justice said:

because he is smarter than Batman

#21 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@spidey 15 said:

@Red_Justice said:

I agree with Red, I though Spider-Man was meant to be the relateable one? I cant relate to a mega-smart super genius

But that's our spidey. He was always meant to be like that. Could you relate with a 15 years old teen that could make webbing and web shooters?

You could relate with his problems and personality. As far as i know, that's what most people, including me, find relatable about spidey, right?

#22 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I didn't say he wasn't. The point I was trying to make is that the series has just become about describing how smart spider-man is.

#23 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Justice: for me that was something that the series was always missing....Peter Parker is a genius and has been since Amazing Fantasy #15 and hardly any writers have really explored that...really Slott is the only writer to ever really explore just how smart Peter is....he's got to go a little overboard with it so that way it becomes something common so that other writers see it as part of his character which again it always should have been

#24 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited to see #700 because I have no idea how Spidey will become Superior

#25 Edited by darthfury78 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@Red_Justice: for me that was something that the series was always missing....Peter Parker is a genius and has been since Amazing Fantasy #15 and hardly any writers have really explored that...really Slott is the only writer to ever really explore just how smart Peter is....he's got to go a little overboard with it so that way it becomes something common so that other writers see it as part of his character which again it always should have been

Also, none of the previous Spider-Man writer(besides Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, and Dan Slott) considered using the Black Widow as a supporting character/guest. Not to mention Silver Sable finally admitting that she's attracted to Spider-Man, as well as the Black Widow(secretly)!!!

#26 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700

DAN SLOTT (w) • HUMBERTO RAMOS (a)

Plus stories by JM DeMatteis & Giuseppe Camuncoli and Jen Van Meter & Stephanie Buscema

COVER BY MR. GARCIN

Steve Ditko (Unused Amazing Fantasy 15 Art) Variant Cover

ASM 50TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT - Marcos Martin

Martin Variant

WRAPAROUND VARIANT - Humberto Ramos

COIPEL VARIANT

QUESADA VARIANT

LAST ISSUE!

All New! 104 PGS./Rated T+ ...$7.99

#27 Posted by ZenTzen (56 posts) - - Show Bio

so they are gonna relaunch Spider-Man after issue 700, i'm getting tired of this, whats next another retcon just for giggles(well maybe they can get rid of the embarassements in spidey comics from recent years)

#28 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZenTzen said:

so they are gonna relaunch Spider-Man after issue 700, i'm getting tired of this, whats next another retcon just for giggles(well maybe they can get rid of the embarassements in spidey comics from recent years)

what embarrassments?

#29 Posted by ZenTzen (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: OMD, Sins Past

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey making an Alpha-suit sounds like a helluva lot of fun.

#31 Posted by thespidey307 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Man, and I wanted them to go to the 1000th issue...

#32 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: If this means Spider-Man doesn't come out twice a month anymore, that would be good in freeing up what I can read. If it does, well I'll still be buying it. I still don't like the sound of Superior Spider-Man though.

#33 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespidey307 said:

@danhimself: Man, and I wanted them to go to the 1000th issue...

most chances are that they'll renumber for the 1000th issue

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man? No thank you.

#35 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I don't like the name either. Doesn't have the same ring to it as Amazing or Spectacular Spider-Man.

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I'll judge it when something is confirmed but as of right now, it's merely best speculation.

#37 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as Slott is still writing then I don't care what it's called

#38 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Agreed. Now we must play the waiting game.

@danhimself said:

as long as Slott is still writing then I don't care what it's called

There is that though. Slott is an awesome writer and I trust him on Spider-Man wholeheartedly.

#39 Posted by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Lvenger: I'll judge it when something is confirmed but as of right now, it's merely best speculation.

I have a feeling it may be a mix up. Mutants are called Homo-Superior right? It would stand to reason it would be an X-men title.

#40 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I have a feeling it may be a mix up. Mutants are called Homo-Superior right? It would stand to reason it would be an X-men title.

Wikipedia Definition of 'Mutant - Homo Sapiens Superior.' Ha you're right. But that's yet another X-Men title on an already milked cash cow. And how come you don't read Amazing Spider-Man if you don't mind my asking?

#41 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I'm not really enjoying the Alpha Arc so i've dropped it until War Of The Goblins :) which starts up pretty soon! How many X-men titles are there?

#42 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@Lvenger: I'm not really enjoying the Alpha Arc so i've dropped it until War Of The Goblins :) which starts up pretty soon! How many X-men titles are there?

Ah I see. I don't like Ramos' art though I am enjoying the Alpha story. But to each their own. I'm intrigued with the War of the Goblins adding yet another possible Hobgoblin to the line up. Is it me or does Devil Spider look like Ezekiel?

And counting just the mainstream X-Men titles excluding alternate series such as X-Treme X-Men, Age of Apocalypse and Ultimate X-Men as well as limited series like the First X-Men, I believe there are 11 ongoing X-Men books.

#43 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Ah I see. I don't like Ramos' art though I am enjoying the Alpha story. But to each their own. I'm intrigued with the War of the Goblins adding yet another possible Hobgoblin to the line up. Is it me or does Devil Spider look like Ezekiel?

He does except for the part where he tells us he's Rodrick Kingsley :p

@Lvenger said:

And counting just the mainstream X-Men titles excluding alternate series such as X-Treme X-Men, Age of Apocalypse and Ultimate X-Men as well as limited series like the First X-Men, I believe there are 11 ongoing X-Men books.

Srsly!? 11!? Damn ok Superior probably sin't na X-men title unless they are canning a few of them.

#44 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Yeah yeah I realised after I made that comment. He just looks strikingly like Ezekiel. I know. It's the same amount as the Bat family titles in the New 52.

#45 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: It's when I hear things like this it makes me weep for all the other characters who deserve an on-going series and haven't got one and yeah he does look a bit like Ezekiel. I think its the white hair. Kingsley was always blond if I recall correctly.

#46 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that it was already announced that the Superrior teaser was for Marvelman.

#47 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Lvenger (19084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Oh boy. I hope this doesn't turn out true. Peter Parker's ability to live a normal life is what makes Spider-Man endearing and readable. Having Doc Ock's arms grafted to him would certainly be awkward suffice to say.

#49 Posted by pulseangel666 (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think it is going to happen with spidey getting ocs arms. In the pics from the marvel now avengers covers there is no extra arms.

#50 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Having Ock's arms grafted onto him would make me start reading Spidey again.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.