How to get caught up with Spider-Man?

#1 Posted by beggar (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys-so I grew up reading the Spider-Man comic in the newspapers, and just started reading Amazing Spider-Man with 679.1. I want to get caught up with as much of what happened before as possible, but it seems a little overwhelming knowing where to start/what to read. I started reading Amazing Spider-Man from issue 1 and got up to 20, but I really don't want to have to read every issue to know what's going on. Are there summaries somewhere that would be good? Can anyone recommend some must-read story arcs? Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16300 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm its quite hard to sum up everything that's happened I would try reading the arc's "Grim Hunt", "Big Time", and "Spider-island" and then as you progress from those and you find parts of the story that spans out just try to follow them. You may want to read the arc "One More Day" and "Brand New Day" although they are the worst things ever to happen to the Spider-man franchise (as they retconned his marriage to Mary Jane and changed his entire history) it will help you to understand the current Peter Parker.

#3 Posted by beggar (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to check out those arcs. I knew going in that there's a lot I've missed out on, and that it would be hard to catch up, but I just really love the character and want to know it all haha.

#4 Posted by Strider92 (16300 posts) - - Show Bio

@beggar said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to check out those arcs. I knew going in that there's a lot I've missed out on, and that it would be hard to catch up, but I just really love the character and want to know it all haha.

Well your lucky in some regards as Spidey's history has been completely rewritten recently (due to "One More Day" which was a disspointment for people who have been following him a long time) so if you read from that you don't really have a lot to catch up on.

#5 Edited by TDK_1997 (14724 posts) - - Show Bio

@beggar: Everything from Grim Hunt that has happened till now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.