Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How strong is Spiderman

• 60 results
    Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

Well Spiderman is listed at a 10 tonner, and was once a 25 tonner. But if this is true, how come he has been shown to lift a tank, which is 50-70 tons. This makes him as physically strong as the Rhino.

z3n_spyder616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

and beaten hulk once...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right about his strength levels but some tanks weigh as low as 14 tons (maybe less but that's the lowest I know). So it depends how big it was. But if it was a large tank, then him lifting it was either an adrenaline surge or just PIS

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@petey_is_spidey:

@jayc1324 said:

You're right about his strength levels but some tanks weigh as low as 14 tons (maybe less but that's the lowest I know). So it depends how big it was. But if it was a large tank, then him lifting it was either an adrenaline surge or just PIS

Maybe tanks in the WW1 era, but modern tanks, even ones in the 90's wight 40 tons minimum.

No Caption Provided

Even smaller tanks such as the type 99 are 54 tons. It seems pretty much the size of the one peter lifted.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

why does this question get asked every week? -.-

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

It's because writers tend to give him high end strength feats at times to suit the scenario they're writing. For example, Slott had Peter break through Doctor Octopus' carbonadium arms without any leverage and carbinadium is supposed to be one of the toughest metals outside of adamantium and vibranium in the Marvel Universe IIRC. He also managed to support the weight of a small private jet.

No Caption Provided

Which had a landing weigh of 75,000 pounds plus about 30,000 pounds of fuel to lowball the feat plus it was going down pretty fast. That put the total weight at 52.5 tons. But it can be said that Peter's adrenaline added to his ability to ground the jet.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@lvenger: I think its because no one reads the previous thread when the question was answered and instead make a new topic.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@fallschirmjager: Yeah I've given this answer before actually. But I didn't clock the feat at being an over 50 tons one. Feats like this are why Peter is considered a high tier street leveller on the battle forums though.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, he is supposed to be able to lift 10 tons, but writers do go overboard with character feats. I don't mind this occasionally, but my beloved Spider-Man shouldn't be able to stop crashing plane, or knock out Firelord.@

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: I know some Vietnam era light tanks weighed under 20 tons but yeah the one peter lifted was way over that.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he has the proportionate strength of a spider...

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

He is very strong.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

He's thrown trucks across street blocks and landed a plane on his back. He's very strong.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's down to a 10 tonner? When did that happen?

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't trust any comic book sources that play out the superheroes' strengths. When they aren't suppose to be any more stronger than they should be, the writers always exaggerate their strength and make them unrealistically strong for no reason.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r said:

Well, he has the proportionate strength of a spider...

That would mean he could only lift 50x his body weight, which 167lbsx50=8350, which is just over 4 tons.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: I was tryna be funny. However, is that not good enough? How damn strong can a guy get from being bit by a spider? 4 tons makes you a human killing machine. Spiderman shouldn't be able to land a falling plane. He's a street-leveler.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VeganDiet

@darthaznable: He's always been listed as that, but since around the late 80s/early 90s, he's been doing 20+tonner stuff on a fairly consistent basis.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know movies aren't canon but how heavy was that girder he supported and pushed over in Spiderman 2? Must have been at least 10 tons surely...

Anyway, I don't really like the idea that spidey can lift 50 tons, he is not supposed to be a powerhouse like the Thing, agility is his thing and for me the movies have it about right. He can catch a car with ease but shouldn't be lifting tanks and planes. Just my opinion. Also agree that his proportional power is that of a spider, but wasn't the spider in question genetically enhanced?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: He's always been listed as that, but since around the late 80s/early 90s, he's been doing 20+tonner stuff on a fairly consistent basis.

I always saw him as a 25 tonner honestly. 10 seems low for Spider-Man.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THORSON
    No Caption Provided

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By THORSON
    No Caption Provided

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:
    No Caption Provided

WTF? Even the Hulk's strength is limited to 17 tons? WTF with this $h!t. There is no way this is even remotely right. Ultimate Spidey should at least be a 6 tonner.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By segamarvel

When he was still young he could only lift 40x his body weight (but with ease). Nowadays Spidey can lift HUNDREDS of times his body weight(again with ease). That means that modern Spidey is at least 5 times stronger then classic spidey was. Jeez Pete really has grown over the years just like Stan Lee said he would. That is a HUGE increase in power compared to how he was then.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bezza

@segamarvel:

All characters have grown in strength, not just Spidey. In the Rise of the Silver Surfer film you had Ben Grimm lift the "London Eye", which weighs at least 500 tons and he is supposed to be around the 80-90 ton mark. I think Spidey has been at least 10 tons for some time now, he has some decent feats in the older comics.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By segamarvel

@bezza said:

@segamarvel:

All characters have grown in strength, not just Spidey. In the Rise of the Silver Surfer film you had Ben Grimm lift the "London Eye", which weighs at least 500 tons and he is supposed to be around the 80-90 ton mark. I think Spidey has been at least 10 tons for some time now, he has some decent feats in the older comics.

True, very true. In Spider-Man 3 he survived a fall from 80 stories high. It takes at least 30 stories before he hits maximum velocity so that means Spidey can withstand a fall from pretty much any height all the same. And don't even get me started on how he was tanking Sandman's giant fist to the face. Still were suppose to be referencing the comics not the movies.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I'm not against the notion of even classic spidey being able to lift ten tons. I'm just saying modern spidey can do it with a lot less effort into it now.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel:

That's interesting because I know my Pal @punyparker feels that spiderman is lacking in strength feats these days compared with the older comics....

That comic scan further up this page of Spiderman lifting a tank looks a few years old. Perhaps he has always been strong!

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@segamarvel:

That's interesting because I know my Pal @punyparker feels that spiderman is lacking in strength feats these days compared with the older comics....

That comic scan further up this page of Spiderman lifting a tank looks a few years old. Perhaps he has always been strong!

What!? That's BS. In just the last couple years he's landed a private jet on his back, took Scorpion's jaw off in a single hit and torn through Otto's carbonium arms with no leverage.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By PunyParker

@bezza said:

@segamarvel:

What!? That's BS. In just the last couple years he's landed a private jet on his back, took Scorpion's jaw off in a single hit and torn through Otto's carbonium arms with no leverage.

In the 80s he beat up the Avengers on his own,and in Secret Wars he fought and beat up badly the X-Men,without even blinking......
    Also he beat Firelord(!!!!!!!) to the ground....

Tell me if 2014 Spider-Man could handle the Avengers and the X-Men alone......

No sh!t.

I think this is the 80s again.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@segamarvel said:

@bezza said:

@segamarvel:

In the 80s he beat up the Avengers on his own,and in Secret Wars he fought and beat up badly the X-Men,without even blinking......

Also he beat Firelord(!!!!!!!) to the ground....

Tell me if 2014 Spider-Man could handle the Avengers and the X-Men alone......

No sh!t.

I think this is the 80s again.

SpOCK was doing pretty well against the avengers up until Peter distracted him from listening to his spider-sense. Pretty sure that the Firelord example is considered PIS no matter how you look at it. He broke through Otto's arms back in "Ends of the Earth" and besides 2014 Spidey now knows Kung Fu and has just better standard gear in general (Like Acid webbing, magnetic webbing, loud sonic proof earpiece and more)

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Look I wanna say something real quick. We are both on the same side and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I was just trying to make a point and say that Pete hasn't stepped down in power. If anything He just seems stronger, faster, more skilled and smarter to me nowadays. Heck his adventures are getting very interesting especially since we got "Spider-Verse" to look forward to.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bezza

@segamarvel:

@punyparker

Hey, I missed half of the 80s, all of the 90s and naughties, so I am not qualified to enter this debate, I will let you guys decide whether he was stronger then or now! Question is, why if Spiderman is Marvel's poster boy aren't we getting instances of him smacking down these other characters and lifting tanks any more?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:
    No Caption Provided

Interesting, back then Spidey put himself in the same class as She Hulk and Colosseus?!!

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bezza: I think Marvel just doesn't want to let Perter grow, in strength or character because he is supposed to be the most relatable super hero around.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I think Marvel just doesn't want to let Perter grow, in strength or character because he is supposed to be the most relatable super hero around.

But Peter has a doctorate now. Doesn't that count as character development? Also modern Spidey caught an Armored car thrown by Absorbing man once (those can weigh in excess of over 55 thousand pounds) and his striking power even creates fissures now.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By PapiNacho

@segamarvel: I meant strength relative to other characters. Also even thought Pete has a P.h.D he doesn't act like a doctor. He is still as irresponsible as he always was and he still solves the problems that ways he always did.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: I meant strength relative to other characters. Also even thought Pete has a P.h.D he doesn't act like a doctor. He is still as irresponsible as he always was and he still solves the problems that ways he always did.

Well sure everyone else got an unfair upgrade but that doesn't mean Parker hasn't improved at all. We will just have to wait and see what he does with that new P.h.D and reserve judgement until then. That in itself is life changing and could effect how he deals with things.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@punyparker: Look I wanna say something real quick. We are both on the same side and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I was just trying to make a point and say that Pete hasn't stepped down in power. If anything He just seems stronger, faster, more skilled and smarter to me nowadays. Heck his adventures are getting very interesting especially since we got "Spider-Verse" to look forward to.

Offended?....wha-- why?!! :P

Threads are to talk and share opinions!!
    Don't even think about it,bro!

SpOCK was doing pretty well against the avengers up until Peter distracted him from listening to his spider-sense. Pretty sure that the Firelord example is considered PIS no matter how you look at it. He broke through Otto's arms back in "Ends of the Earth" and besides 2014 Spidey now knows Kung Fu and has just better standard gear in general (Like Acid webbing, magnetic webbing, loud sonic proof earpiece and more)

Okay,maybe he was holding back a bit,but we haven't seen very much badass action from Spidey lately....(Peter Parker,i mean)
    Ya know to beat up several superpowered people........to beat up the Sinister Six by himself.

@bezza said:

@segamarvel:

@punyparker

Hey, I missed half of the 80s, all of the 90s and naughties, so I am not qualified to enter this debate, I will let you guys decide whether he was stronger then or now! Question is, why if Spiderman is Marvel's poster boy aren't we getting instances of him smacking down these other characters and lifting tanks any more?

I just read everything,last 3 yrs.
    I was a total Ultimate guy,till Peter died,i was sevestated,and took over Amazing and the rest.

And an answer to the question.
    Spider-Man still is the poster boy,but Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers got a full on popularity boost up,from the movie,and now they kinda share the "power" in the comics.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..Iron Man and avengers are popular now, but Spidey will endure...Robert downey JR is a big part of the Iron man fan-dom, once he has gone its going to be difficult...bit like Superman post Chris Reeve...

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By segamarvel

If there's one thing I love seeing it's when Spidey knocks out normal humans without even trying. Plus he took a hit from Shathra (Who is stronger then Kaine) and said he didn't even feel it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the Ultimate versions really that weak? Ive only read a little bit of the Ultimate Marvel stuff, but that seems way low.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By segamarvel

@deaditegonzo: I beg to differ.

No Caption Provided

Even Ultimate version of Spidey is one strong motherf$%er.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By segamarvel

@deaditegonzo:

Many People believe USM is like a 6 tonner. well he clearly is not.

1) Spider Man test his new powers and lifts a couple tons with no strain at all.

2) Spidey Bleeding to death and taken a serious beating and yet Pete lifts a 9 ton vehicle over his head and slams it on Green Goblin twice.

3) With one hand, Spider Man throws a flooded Taxi Cab 5 stories into the air!

4) Spidey breaks out of Super Human Handcuffs.

5) Spider Man lifts a Dockyard forklift that averagely weighs around 8 tons.

6) Spidey easily picks up a car and smashes Hulk with it.

Final verdict: He's at least a 9 to 12 tonner

(Sorry if there not in order)

Seafood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has held up the Daily Bugle once.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..yep and in ASM2 he catches a car with ease that had flown through the air and holds a coach full of tourists stopping it from tipping over, so film version backs up him being In 10 ton + bracket.

Avatar image for jameedodger1231
    Jameedodger1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jameedodger1231

He can lift 20 tonnes.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which spider-man is being talked about. I see so many mixing of universes as if they all have the same strength level. Ultimate is weaker than 616, and the movies are probably either as strong or weaker than ultimate. They are not the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.