how strong is spider-man?

• 91 results
#51 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Yeah agreed. And btw, Kaine's new series is just awesome. Kaine is such a badass and the stories can be very interesting, intense and entertaining. It's like watching a spider-man with the exact opposite personality of the original( you know, Real spidey would never threaten to kill anybody's family like Kaine did in issue 5 ), which make the series a nice irony( in a good way of course ), if you get my meaning! :)

#52 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Oh for sure! I love that Yost has differentiated Kaine from Peter so much. They have the same genes, basically same powers but they are so different. It makes the book interesting and you aren't just reading another Spider-man book. I love how Kaine altered the costume to look differently, even though I think something darker would suit Kaine better.

#53 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Yeah, exactly. It's something refreshing when it comes to spider-man stories.

Hah, it's what Kaine said anyways. He would much prefer a darker suit as well, that's why he chose spidey's Big Time suit. Also what he said about being called " Dark Spider" would also sound a pretty badass name for him, but Scarlet Spider is also a good name since it gives another irony to the book( you know what i mean ). ;p

#54 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

he can lift up to 10-15 ton's

#55 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Dark Spider isn't bad but I like how they pay homage to Scarlet Spider.

#56 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Indeed, as i said, it's just the irony that makes it good. You know how Kaine used to hate Scarlet Spider/ Ben Reilly!

#57 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Oh I know ;)

#58 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: ;p

#59 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467: Well, you're partially wrong. Take a look:

For the US Army, the average combat medium tank was

1. 6 tons WW1 M1917 Renault Tank

2. 30 tons WW2 M-4 Sherman Tank

3. 52 tons Vietnam War M-48 Patton Tank (Vietnam War: 17 tons M-551 Sheridan Light Tank)

4. 67 tons M-1 Abrams Tank

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_weight_of_a_army_tank#ixzz22Ii6vUPR

#60 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: So what's your take on "No Turning Back" ?

#61 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@spidey 15: So what's your take on "No Turning Back" ?

Unfortunately in ASM i'm left a bit behind. This happened to me before, but i managed to reach every issue that i missed. Then i'm behind once again. It's so bad, i have even missed Ends of Earth, though i'm planning to buy the whole arc on ebay.

As for "No turning back", i've heard of it in a Dan Slott interview. I think Dan said it will be a pretty dark arc! if that's the case then i'm excited!

:)

#62 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Wow, that sucks! I'll come the details to myself then!

#63 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Indeed bro, it sucks. And that is because, the last times i've visited the only market in my city( not exactly comicbook shop ) where i could find most issues of any series i want, the ASM either it didn't arrive or it was sold out! :(

#64 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: I'm not surprised dude. If I don't arrive at my local comic shop right when it opens, ASM is almost always sold out. Slott has been doing a fantastic job with Ol' Pete.

#65 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Indeed, not strange at all. :)

#66 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Have you had the chance to watch The Amazing Spider-man?

#67 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Of course i did! Amazing movie as the title says! :P Better than the previous trilogy in my opinion! :)

#68 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Agreed, I thought the film was fantastic. Garfield was an excellent choice.

#69 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Indeed, he was an awesome Pete!

#70 Posted by jasonred79 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

ummm... guys?

Marvel comics strength rating thingies have NO BASIS IN MATHS. Or real world stuff.

For instance, Hulk and Thor and Namor and gang are supposed to be only 100 tonners, but they're definitely capable of MUCH more than that... same for all the 75 tonners and 90 tonners etc.

Also, some crazy writers wrote issues where WOLVERINE was STRONGER than Spidey. I can tell you those issues made me MAD! :(

#71 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Edited by segamarvel (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is able to life 10 tons. Which is strong enough that he could lift a tank over his head or kill most villians with a single punch if he didn't hold back on his punches. After "The Other" story, Spider-Man's strength was increased to 25 tons, but was returned back to 10 tons after "One More Day".

But There's no proof that Pete has gotten any weaker. No handbooks or panel statements. Just speculation. Pete might still be in the 20 ton range.

#73 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Strong enough to do this!

#74 Edited by nightwing737 (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

Originally he could lift 25 tons then he got lowered to 10 tons and then it went to 20 tons. So he can military press (lift above his head) 20 tons. So he can probably bench press 30 tons.

#75 Posted by nickzambuto (13661 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee stated that there are only three characters in all the Marvel Universe stronger than Spider-Man.

#76 Posted by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

Originally Spider-man was said to be at 10tons. However in one of the early issues Stan Lee said Spider-mans strength would increase the older he got. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was pushing 20+ tonnage by now before becoming strained considering the enormous feats of strength he's performed when straining himself.

#77 Posted by Josiah_Cullins (4 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Posted by AlexTheAlex (1 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?sa=X&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=t7q0kTj2BQ0_0M:&imgrefurl=http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/spider-man-vs-batman-679549/%3Fpage%3D11&docid=NFz6jBLUhKJZpM&imgurl=http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/118094/2472233-feat1strenghtvi6.jpg&w=399&h=600&ei=WGViUsDbM6ySiQeR_oAg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:1,s:0,i:80&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=196&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=22&tx=83&ty=105

It says here that Spider-Man can lift up to a hundred times his own weight thats: 165*100=16,500 pounds converting into metric tons that's:

8 tonnes which means the "8 times their own weight" only applies to spiders but in human terms as stated here it's a hundred times their own body weight, and I guess Marvel changed it to 10 tonnes for some reason

#79 Posted by SheenLantern (6645 posts) - - Show Bio
#80 Edited by ScarletBatman (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we need some comparisons here.

How much can Spidey's villains life? How about Hulk, Rulk, Thor, Sentry, Luke Cage, Cap, Wolverine, Colossus, Hercules, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, etc. Where does Spidey land on the continuum of super strength?

I know it isn't canon but in the Marvel Super Heroic Role Playing Game, Spiderman is listed as having d10 Super Human Strength, which is one notch below Thing, Hulk, Thor, Hercules, all of whom had d12 God-Like Strength. Luke Cage, Ironman, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman and Arachne had a d10 Strength (same as Spidey), while Cap and Tigra had d8.

#81 Edited by CaptainUzi (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Strong enough to destroy most humans, but not enough to defend against a strong mutant.

#82 Edited by Spiderman1018 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, his feats show to be from a 30-40 ton range.

#83 Posted by godzillinois (1 posts) - - Show Bio

He got retconned back to 10 tons? Did not know that. I found this on a “Yahoo Answers” page - I’m not scientist like Pete is, but if this is true does that negate the reason for Spidey’s super-strength?:

“The reason that small animals can lift a greater amount relative to their own weight has nothing to do with the animals being strong. The muscles of an ant or spider are the same strength (per amount of muscle) as a human's.

The reason these animals seem to be very strong for their size is due to simple scaling laws. Let's say we have a 6-foot tall, 200-pound human that can lift their own weight in some certain exercise routine. So, we can define their strength as the amount of weight they can lift, divided by their own weight. In this case, it's 200/200 = 1. So, they have a strength coefficient of 1.

If you scaled down that human to 1/100 of their height, and adjusted their length and width in the same way (to preserve their shape), you would have a human that was 0.06 feet tall.

Now, the human's weight goes as the CUBE of their height, so they would weigh (1/100)^3 times as much as they did before. If they weighed 200 pounds before, they would now weigh 0.0002 pounds.

However, their muscle strength goes as the cross-sectional area of their muscle, and area goes as the SQUARE of their height. So, they can now lift (1/100)^2 times as much weight as they could before. If they could lift 200 pounds before, they would be able to lift 0.02 pounds now.

Let's calculate their strength-per-weight coefficient:

(0.02 pounds) / (0.0002 pounds) = 100

They are now able to lift 100 times their own weight! The only reason for this is that strength goes as the square of linear size, while weight goes as the cube of linear size.

This works in reverse, too: If you made a human 10 times taller (a 60-foot human) and kept their proportions the same, they'd be 100 times as strong, but also 1000 times as heavy! They would collapse under their own weight and be unable to do anything useful.”

#84 Posted by segamarvel (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think 30 tons is his comfort zone.(He even caught a 27 ton armored car) any higher then that is when he starts to visibly strain. I think his absolute maximum straining point is around 60 to 70 tons.

#86 Posted by Batman-Hush (320 posts) - - Show Bio

His original power-set felt more authentic. He was superior to street-levelers, but struggled at lifting cars and such.

#87 Posted by Batman-Hush (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Lifting 70 tons is ridiculous. I call BS on holding up a building.

#88 Posted by VeganDiet (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

His original power-set felt more authentic. He was superior to street-levelers, but struggled at lifting cars and such.

Spider-man was capable of lifting cars with ease as early as Amazing Spider-man #32, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

#89 Posted by Batman-Hush (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@vegandiet:

Well, you're right but he was on the rampage, looking for Aunt May's cure so he was capable of doing incredible things. Like, taking down Doc Ock with ease. His greatest triumph was lifting that large hammer in issue #33. That left his body decimated and he barely lifted it, only thinking of Aunt May pushed him through it.

#90 Edited by AmazingSpiderman15 (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

#91 Edited by spideyvsbatman (11 posts) - - Show Bio

the marvel strength scale says he can lift 20 tons, but i'm pretty sure he can do more, seeing as one time he lifted a semi truck above his head and tossed it a great distance

#92 Edited by w0nd (3400 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyvsbatman:
That superman scan he had red solar energy on his costume (which apparently is a thing that can be done) he tried the same thing later when it wore off and he broke his hands, was pretty funny

@amazingspiderman15: he also flipped a train car over by flicking his index finger...and supported the weight of a plane while it landed. The list goes on. I enjoy seeing his fit of adrenaline rushes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.