how strong is spider-man?

• 91 results
#1 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

he is very quick, very stelthy and very funny [sometimes] but how strong is he?  who can he be compared to in the way of strengh levels?

#2 Edited by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he can lift between 10-20 tons. It varies.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

tons? thats major.

#4 Posted by the creator (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

He was up to between 20 - 25 tonnes after his very recent upgrades but apparently he has be rtconned back to 10 tonnes after the events of the One More Day storyline.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

i know there's been a few times he's said that most of the villains he goes up against he has to hold back so he doesn't hurt them

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is able to life 10 tons. Which is strong enough that he could lift a tank over his head or kill most villians with a single punch if he didn't hold back on his punches. After "The Other" story, Spider-Man's strength was increased to 25 tons, but was returned back to 10 tons after "One More Day".

#7 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been wondering, they claim Spidey's strength are proportionate of a spider's, I think a spider can lift around 8 times it's weight... so doesn't that mean 8 times his weight which lets say is between 250-300 pounds=1 ton? or am I getting something wrong?

#8 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Spidey only weighs 165 lbs so 8 times his weight would be 1,320 lbs which isn't even a ton. But I believe he was close to that when they first made him, but his strength gradually increased to 10 tons over time.(like most characters).

#9 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

He's back to ten tons? Good.

#10 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
Sling Shot said:
"He's back to ten tons? Good."

Yeah when Brand New Day start, he lost all upgrades from The Other and he lost the ability to create webs. So he is back to plain old Spidey with web-shooters.
#11 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

According to his Character page at the Marvel web site it is 10 tons.

#12 Posted by Bart Simpson (536 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"Spider-Man is able to life 10 tons. Which is strong enough that he could lift a tank over his head or kill most villians with a single punch if he didn't hold back on his punches. After "The Other" story, Spider-Man's strength was increased to 25 tons, but was returned back to 10 tons after "One More Day"."

Just a nitpick, but Spider-man cannot and has never lifted a tank over his head. Those things weigh around 50-70 tons. Unless by tank you mean like a propane tank, then yes he can lift those over his head.
#13 Posted by zombietag (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bart Simpson said:
" Nobody said:
"Spider-Man is able to life 10 tons. Which is strong enough that he could lift a tank over his head or kill most villians with a single punch if he didn't hold back on his punches. After "The Other" story, Spider-Man's strength was increased to 25 tons, but was returned back to 10 tons after "One More Day"."
Just a nitpick, but Spider-man cannot and has never lifted a tank over his head. Those things weigh around 50-70 tons. Unless by tank you mean like a propane tank, then yes he can lift those over his head. "
didnt todd mcfarlane write/draw a story where spider-man lifted a tank?
#14 Edited by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@zombietag said:

" @Bart Simpson said:

" Nobody said:
Just a nitpick, but Spider-man cannot and has never lifted a tank over his head. Those things weigh around 50-70 tons. Unless by tank you mean like a propane tank, then yes he can lift those over his head. "
didnt todd mcfarlane write/draw a story where spider-man lifted a tank? "
Yes, he did. David Michelinie wrote the issue.
#15 Posted by virgin4life (428 posts) - - Show Bio

how do regular human spider-villains survive his punches without their head exploding if he can lift 10 tonnes?  unbelievable!

#16 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life said:
" how do regular human spider-villains survive his punches without their head exploding if he can lift 10 tonnes?  unbelievable! "
He holds back his strength. He only uses a fraction of that when he faces normal people. But when he faces characters like Rhino, he does not hold back. 

Btw, spider-man is supposed be a 10 toner at the very least. His feats put him above that, though. 
=]
#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said:
" @virgin4life said:
" how do regular human spider-villains survive his punches without their head exploding if he can lift 10 tonnes?  unbelievable! "
He holds back his strength. He only uses a fraction of that when he faces normal people. But when he faces characters like Rhino, he does not hold back.  Btw, spider-man is supposed be a 10 toner at the very least. His feats put him above that, though. =] "
This. 

His adrenaline might have superhuman enhancing qualities, now that I think of it. In extreme cases, he's lifted in excess of 20 tonnes, pre-power up.
#18 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

A tank weighs much more than 10 tons; so that showing itself makes no sense, to be honest. Regardless, SpiderMan has been classified as at least 10 tons, before his enhancements. 

#19 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
" A tank weighs much more than 10 tons; so that showing itself makes no sense, to be honest. Regardless, SpiderMan has been classified as at least 10 tons, before his enhancements.  "
Well, feats> handbooks, but considering  that a tank weighs around 68 tons, i think it's fair to assume that this seems too much for Pete to handle. 
Logically normal spidey should be at rage of 10-25 tons or a bit more. 
=]
#20 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought at his base strength it's 10 ton but when he's angered or fighting at his best, the strength could at 30 ton max. But that's just a flawed theroy based on handbooks and few comics.

#21 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said: 
Well, feats> handbooks, 
Agreed. 

but considering  that a tank weighs around 68 tons, i think it's fair to assume that this seems too much for Pete to handle. 
Exactly. He would have to be in the 50-60 ton class or more to make that lift. 

Logically normal spidey should be at rage of 10-25 tons or a bit more. =] "
I can agree with this, I guess. 
#22 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: =]
#23 Edited by budonkadonk (64 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just have a bench-press competition at Avengers Mansion... 
#24 Posted by jasraj (4728 posts) - - Show Bio
I think Spidey can lift 10 tons
#25 Posted by marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic (91 posts) - - Show Bio

well, he lifted something much, much bigger than a locomotive once and he wasnt at his full maturity at the time so he is pretty dang strong. Also in the first spidey annual it said the only people stronger than him are thing, hulk, and thor.

#26 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic said:

well, he lifted something much, much bigger than a locomotive once and he wasnt at his full maturity at the time so he is pretty dang strong. Also in the first spidey annual it said the only people stronger than him are thing, hulk, and thor.

Epic necro pasta! Does that mean that he can outmuscle Cap, Tony, Wolverine, and Sentry? Just a couple examples... I don't think Spidey is one of the strongest people in Marvel, just pretty strong.

#27 Posted by Skyfire (706 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Epic necro pasta! Does that mean that he can outmuscle Cap, Tony, Wolverine, and Sentry? Just a couple examples... I don't think Spidey is one of the strongest people in Marvel, just pretty strong.

He can outmuscle Cap and Wolverine but not Ironman or The Sentry

#28 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2611 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skyfire: He can out muscle Iron Man outside his armor.

#29 Posted by Skyfire (706 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: He's not Iron man without the armour =)

#30 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: He can out muscle Cap and Wolverine easily but not Iron Man or Sentry.

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

When Marvel first officially defined Spider-Man's strength in 1983 it was stated he could lift 10 tons.

His strength level remained there until approximately 2005 or so when he got a boost. It was then stated he could 20 tons.

#32 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought his strength level was between 10 tons - 15 tons.

#33 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this just confirms my suspicions that Spiderman is the COOLEST MARVEL HERO EVER :)

#34 Posted by VenomousDragon (843 posts) - - Show Bio

10 tons is the standard.

#35 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2611 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skyfire said:

Just making a joke :p

#36 Posted by nickzambuto (12892 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skyfire said:

He said Tony though, not Iron Man. ;D

#37 Posted by spidermannoir (33 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

His strength, with the exception of pre-BND has always been the 10 ton range.

@spidey 15: There was that one instance where he supported the Daily Bugle's weight. Easily his best feat.

#39 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiders can lift 15x their own weight spiderman has the proportionate strength of a spider, and sometimes he has to pull his punches.

#40 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Yeah i'm aware of that feat. The arc were it occurred was also a pretty nice one and i enjoyed it and as much as impressive that feat is, i wouldn't take it too seriously. It just shows that spidey under stress can be truly strong, but that feat was pretty exaggerated i believe! :)

#41 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

I had that issue in the Essential Spider-man. That was back during the sixties. Hulk, Thing, And Thor were the strongest with Spidey behind. There, were no Sentries, She-Hulks, Doc Samsons..etc. And Spidey is waaaaaay stronger then Logan. Not that you said he wasnt.

#42 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

For the people saying he is a 60 tonner because of the tank, tanks vary in weight some can be around 15 to 20 tons.

#43 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Exaggerated? Perhaps, but it shows that Parker under duress can push far beyond his limits.

#44 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@spidey 15: Exaggerated? Perhaps, but it shows that Parker under duress can push far beyond his limits.

Oh yes, i was always supporting the idea that spidey is much stronger than the usual " 10 tons strength" that has been established as his limit strength! :)

#45 Posted by Lvenger (18295 posts) - - Show Bio

On average Spidey can definitely lift 10 tons without his past enhancements or upgrades. I think adrenaline has helped him with his showings of higher than 10 ton feats though.

#46 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Yeah, I think it's ridiculous when I hear that Spidey's strength limit is 10 tons when the feats clearly say otherwise.

#47 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@spidey 15: Yeah, I think it's ridiculous when I hear that Spidey's strength limit is 10 tons when the feats clearly say otherwise.

Indeed. And they're not just a few feats. They are constant feats, which pretty much means that it's not wrong to believe that spider-man's strength it's much higher than how he is stated to be.

:)

#48 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Exactly! I like it better that Spidey is listed at 10 tons, which could be his lower limits, but it keeps the stories more interesting and I prefer the "street level".

On a side note, I wouldn't mind if he still possessed his "Other" enhancements, but I like where he's at now. Slott is bringing out Peter's extremely intelligent side, showing that he's basically a younger Stark.

#49 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Exactly as i feel!

To be honest, i used be a big fan of the "Other" powers, but now, i just prefer him as spider-man martial artist. I believe his new skills are better than his power enhancements. And yeah, Slott showing his intelligent side is just good writing. This is how spidey has been facing his opponents since the second issue of Amazing Spider-man in which he fought Vulture! :)

#50 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: I thought the Other powers were interesting when they first debuted, but I wasn't sold on the organic webbing. The powers fit Kaine a lot better now.

Indeed! Peter always faces opponents more powerful than him and his advantage has always been his brains over brawn.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.