Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

how storng is spiderman & doesn't he lose too much?

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yotaman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i started reading usm and right now at chapter 75.

from the site i understood that spiderman can "press 10 tons without effort and much more when under stress" that by itself sound like no ordinary, or even extra human being, should be able to defeat him. yet, and not just from usm, it seems that the minimum to overpower spiderman is most of the time, just being more buffed.

when i think about it, the real problem is that the writers look down on spiderman to keep his teenage character, or something, and overpower his enemies with strength, that when thinking about it, even when "super" should not really serve as a problem.

anyway, have you ever thought about it? would you like a spiderman comic that do his abilities against his common enemies justice?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

He often has to pull his punches against non-super villains, this is something that can and has been taken advantage of.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@yotaman: I know what you mean and, sometimes, I feel the same. The excuse is he's holding back, cause he's so ethical, nevertheless, most of the times, it's just bad writing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DH69

he holds back when he fights, but when he needs to he'll just plain **** you up, he's shown this on multiple occasions, most recently "superior-spidey" completely took off scorpion's jaw with one punch.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Uhm. Lifting strength does not equate to = always wins fight.

A 150 lbs trained fighter can beat the heck out of a 250 lbs powerlifter.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yotaman

@DarkxSeraph: i know that, and though in some titles spiderman lack in technique he always has his super agility and spider (well, i read that he lost it in some title at a point) sense to make up for it.

and to the above. at usm there are time when spiderman get serious and beat an enemy in a way that seem easy compared to other times, but when the same enemies returns they seem to have the upper hand with no real reason... that's not my point, actually. it's not only about spiderman strength, it's also about guys like kingpin who, as i read in the site, are regular people that only do workout and yet create superhuman damage.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VeganDiet

@yotaman: I get what ya mean. It is occasionally annoying when guys like Kingpin beat Spider-man, but you just gotta accept that it's for the sake of a good story.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yotaman

@VeganDiet: yeah... i guess you are right. usually i have no patient for stories with holes no matter on which medium i saw them, but if i manged to reach chapter 80 in usm which have an art that i don't really like, by the way, then the story is better then it seems.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

@VeganDiet said:

@yotaman: I get what ya mean. It is occasionally annoying when guys like Kingpin beat Spider-man, but you just gotta accept that it's for the sake of a good story.

If it ever happens again, Stay calm and remember their fight in back in black.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yotaman

@GrandSymbiote94: oh, wow! the art looks great. what's the name of the title (and the one here http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/strider92/a-strider92-rant-spider-man-misconceptions/87-89833/ with rhino)? is it always like this, the art, or the artist change?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VeganDiet

@yotaman said:

@GrandSymbiote94: oh, wow! the art looks great. what's the name of the title (and the one here http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/strider92/a-strider92-rant-spider-man-misconceptions/87-89833/ with rhino)? is it always like this, the art, or the artist change?

That was from Amazing Spider-man. I think around issue 545 or so. The artist was Ron Garney.

The one with the Rhino is from Spider-man Unlimited vol. 3 issue 6. The artist was Jim Cheung. I don't believe either artist is doing anything with Spidey in it as of now. Which is a shame, both artists draw a great Spider-man.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Strider1992

At a guess i'd say he's probably in the 20ton range.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Guardiandevil83

I used to hate Spidey losing to regular humans, in fact it still bugs me. Odd thing is the real way a fight between Parker and a human foe recently happened in a Punisher book of all places. Loved Back In Black also.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.