How smart is Spider man

Posted by jayskee (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally believe him to just as smart as Tony Stark Bruce Banner and the other smart people of marvel. I also believe it was a huge slap in the face when marvel left him of the eight smartest people in world war hulk. What do you all think?

#1 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

he is supposed to be as smart as Stark, just doesnt use his brain in the same way (that is what i have heard)

#2 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11130 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say he would get accepted to MIT and leave it at that.

#3 Edited by Strider92 (16136 posts) - - Show Bio

Hank Prym stated that at 15 Spider-man was smarter than him when he managed to hook his spider-tracers up to his spider-sense, Reed Richards said that he had the same IQ as Peter when he was his age and during Civil War he managed to over-ride Iron Mans fail safe device in his armored suit. So I have no idea lol!

Perhaps if he used his brain a bit more often he could be the next Stark but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

#4 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say if he focused his mind more, and worked on getting smarter, he could be equal to Tony in no time, Peter is just too poor, and too busy to do that right now.

#5 Posted by muhabba (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77 said:

I'd say if he focused his mind more, and worked on getting smarter, he could be equal to Tony in no time, Peter is just too poor, and too busy to do that right now.

I agree. Reed, Tony, Hank, and all had longer to study as children, Peter just jumped into the super-hero game. Any time it's time to work with the big brains Peter has no problem catching up to them. I think with just more quiet time to study Peter could be just as smart as Reed. I'd say his IQ could be up to the mid-160's.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's on that level, no.

#7 Posted by darthfury78 (766 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Marvel prefers to keep Peter Parker at the level of ordinary men whose stuck doing odd jobs!!!

#8 Posted by vicioushero (163 posts) - - Show Bio

In honesty I don't believe he's smarter than Reed, I always thought of him on the level of someone like Beast or Stark or Doc Oc though.

#9 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio

I think of him as a normal genius but not a super genius like Reed, Stark, or Pym.

#10 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
He's gifted but he's not on Reed, Stark, Pym, or Banner's level
#11 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

He's very intelligent, but he's also a slacker.

#12 Posted by Rasarima (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Let's just say he would get accepted to MIT and leave it at that.

No way, He works with the TOP...he is much smarter than that

@Dernman said:

I think of him as a normal genius but not a super genius like Reed, Stark, or Pym.

I agree, he is normal genius, nothing to fancy...

@mewmdude77 said:

Also agree, he can be much more, but he would have to be a lot less ocupied...

#13 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78 said:

I think that Marvel prefers to keep Peter Parker at the level of ordinary men whose stuck doing odd jobs!!!

Odd job? I don't see what is so odd about him working at the Horizon Labs. Peter loves his job, he is very good at it and plus with this job he can create new equipment for when he is out patrolling as Spider-Man.

#14 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

His genius status doesn't work with the way marvel wants him to be (would a genius really have some normal suit?) which is why there's some oddity with the way he acts and his intelligence level.

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

According to OMD, he's on the same level as Tony Stark. That should put him in at least the top 15. Probably even top 10.

#16 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

He's gifted but he's not on Reed, Stark, Pym, or Banner's level

QFT

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

High-End.

#18 Edited by darthfury78 (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

@darthfury78 said:

Odd job? I don't see what is so odd about him working at the Horizon Labs. Peter loves his job, he is very good at it and plus with this job he can create new equipment for when he is out patrolling as Spider-Man.

I was referring to Peter's life before Dan Slott took over with "Big Time". Past writers before JMS had him stuck as a newspaper camera man who struggles to make a living, which shouldn't be the case for him. They tried to keep him as he was in high school/college years. That was not progress at all. I am glad that he has the job that is suited to his talents. The TV/Movie Media still portrays Peter Parker as a high school college kid who works as a camera man at the Bugle. Thus, Peter as a camera man was an odd job because it was not a stable position. I am hoping that Peter is working on his Ph.d thesis because it would certainly showcase that his is working at Horizon Labs to conduct his Doctoral Thesis disertation and has Reed Richards as his Science Adviser. This would show progress towards Peter Parker becoming a scientist in his own right. I would hate to see some other writer after Dan Slott take that away from his as Peter David had done to his work on Jennifer Walter's legal career when he undid that to make her an adventurer once again.

#19 Posted by jumpman72001 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO he's as smart as tony at least

#20 Posted by Strider92 (16136 posts) - - Show Bio

He just needs to realize his full potential he's quite inventive when he wants to be:

#21 Posted by nickzambuto (12987 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

He's very intelligent, but he's also a slacker.

LOOKS LIKE A SLACKER!

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

He's easily up there, but not on the level of Reed, Tony, Banner, or Doom.

#23 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be a super genius in the real world, but in comics he is more or less a poor man's version of Tony Stark. That's not to say it's a bad thing, considering how mind boggling smart Stark is.

#24 Posted by Shawnbaby (10453 posts) - - Show Bio

Had he never received Spider-Powers he could very well have reached the Super-genius level of Richards and Pym. Fate had different plans for our boy though. As it is, Reed Richards has complemented Spider-Man's scientific prowess multiple times. 

#25 Posted by BringnIt (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

As stated, Pym stated Parker was smarter than he, and Reed said they were on a similar level at Peter's age. He's outsmarted Tony, he's definitively smarter than Octavius and his Horizons Labs work has been very impressive and at times revolutionary. He once stated on panel that his IQ was over 270, although it could have been in jest.

It's hard to quantify intelligence, but I'd say he's more clever than Tony or Reed are, but they all naturally have their strengths and weaknesses. I'd say he's on a similar level.

#26 Posted by Personification (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman:

it's already noted that a 15 year old peter parker is smarter than pym.

#27 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Personification: I like Spider-Man a lot but no way is he as smart as Pym, Stark and Reed who are on the same lvl range. Any not to that effect is WIS.
#28 Posted by tootyghost (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman can outsmart anyone in the Marvel Universe, and any other universe. He can create a suit for any situation. He is smart enough to get cosmic power if needed.

Anyone who does not think that Spiderman is the smartest, best, toughest, and most powerful superhero ever, is mistaken.

#29 Posted by Death_From_Below (223 posts) - - Show Bio

spiderman is smart, but i wouldnt say hes as smart as batman.

#30 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@tootyghost said:

Spiderman can outsmart anyone in the Marvel Universe, and any other universe. He can create a suit for any situation. He is smart enough to get cosmic power if needed.

Anyone who does not think that Spiderman is the smartest, best, toughest, and most powerful superhero ever, is mistaken.

Trolling/sarcasm?

#31 Posted by Personification (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: i don't know about stark and reed but hank pym admitted that peter parker IS smarter than him.

#32 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Personification: Which makes it WIS. You know how many times someone has said someone was stronger then a certain character and it wasn't true a lot. It's the same thing with Intelligence. Spider-Man simply isn't on the same level as Reed and Stark but Pym always has been.  Sure Spider-Man is a genius but he isn't a super genius like Pym is.
#33 Posted by Personification (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: as i said before i don't know if he's as smart as stark or reed. but at age 15 he was able to build a tracker device that reacts to his spider sense which hank pym said that to build a device like that it took him many years to build it.

#34 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Personification: No one is denying Peters smarts but it's simply no on Pyms level. You keep using references that years of stories and character building show as WIS. 
If you want to go with what someone say go by Peters own words. Peter has many times said people like Reed, Stark, and Pym are out of his league. 

The fact that you don't know much about Reed or Stark show that you have a very limited knowledge of comics. They two of the smartest people in Marvel and PYM being on that list. Spider-Man was never on or near that list. One instance of WIS isn't going to change that.
#35 Posted by Personification (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: i know that reeds is the smartest in marvel universe and both stark and pym are on the same list. but reed also said that his iq is equal to parker's at the same age. parker just never had a chance to develop it due to fighting criminals in a young age.

#36 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Personification said:

@Dernman: i know that reeds is the smartest in marvel universe and both stark and pym are on the same list. but reed also said that his iq is equal to parker's at the same age. parker just never had a chance to develop it due to fighting criminals in a young age.

I argue that it's his fighting criminals that has exposed him to levels of super technology that he wouldn't have come across otherwise. You are still using a few instances of bad writing to spotlight that Peter is also intelligent and putting them up against years of actual character development. 

It doesn't hold up and it doesn't matter how many times you say it it's simply not true. You should go back and actually learn more about these characters before you make claims instead of relying on a very limited source of knowledge.
#37 Posted by Personification (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: @Dernman said:

@Personification said:

I argue that it's his fighting criminals that has exposed him to levels of super technology that he wouldn't have come across otherwise. You are still using a few instances of bad writing to spotlight that Peter is also intelligent and putting them up against years of actual character development. It doesn't hold up and it doesn't matter how many times you say it it's simply not true. You should go back and actually learn more about these characters before you make claims instead of relying on a very limited source of knowledge.

you said that he was exposed to super technology through crime fighting, but he built he's spider tracker when he was just 15 and just started as spiderman

#38 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death_From_Below said:

Actually, I'd say he is. Given the opportunity and vast resources that comes with the Wayne, I think Peter could potentially be Bruce's equal.

#39 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Personification said:

@Dernman: @Dernman said:

@Personification said:

I argue that it's his fighting criminals that has exposed him to levels of super technology that he wouldn't have come across otherwise. You are still using a few instances of bad writing to spotlight that Peter is also intelligent and putting them up against years of actual character development. It doesn't hold up and it doesn't matter how many times you say it it's simply not true. You should go back and actually learn more about these characters before you make claims instead of relying on a very limited source of knowledge.

you said that he was exposed to super technology through crime fighting, but he built he's spider tracker when he was just 15 and just started as spiderman

So? Spider Tracker is hardly super technology in the Marvel Universe and you keep mentioning the age thing like it matters. 
#40 Posted by Death_From_Below (223 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

@Death_From_Below said:

Actually, I'd say he is. Given the opportunity and vast resources that comes with the Wayne, I think Peter could potentially be Bruce's equal.

good point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.