Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How Much Will Andrew Garfield Get Paid For Spider-Man?

• 77 results
    neomantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By neomantis

Getting paid $500,000 for doing something you (presumably) love is considered too low? Is it just me or is something way out of proportion here?

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Chaos Burn

There is a montage on Youtube of this guys roles in films, and i am now totally convinced he will be an amazing Peter Parker

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @bunnyonthemoonlol said:
    " why on earth would anyone want to see this piece of vile!?LIKE SPIDERMAN 3 WAS ANY GOOD?????they took an awesome villian like venom & turned him into eric forman from that 70's show!!!LAME!!!! "
    Damn right. -____-
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Cherry Bomb

This may seem like a low amount, but atleast Andrew will get paid a heck-loads more in publicity.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By goldenkey

I don't think anyone would pass up$500,00 for anything.  If there's a seguel won't his pay go up.  Didn't Toby get something like $15 mil for the seguels? 
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Gylan Thomas

@Blackestnight:
    Batman Firever and Batman and Robin both sucked because everything about them was wrong. Focusing more on Batman during casting would not have changed the movie over all. Even then the producers need someone who can play both roles well.

I think you underestimated Peters importance to the Spider-man mythology too.
    Stan's whole approach was about focusing more on the civilian than the hero. Where once we had character who were basicky cyphers to fit the secret identity role Stan offered more rounded character the reader could really care about. As well as Parker we met Mat Murdoch, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, the FF and the X-kid's.
    (Dang it dude! You've edited this! :(  I had read it on my brea from work this mornin' and I've been considering my response since. You've thrown me now :P Grrr )

To say Pete's early life is told through flash back is unfair. The same pretty much applys to all hero character. Except maybe Jim Rodes, Betty Ross or Tim Drake.
    Being a hero get's in Peters way butit's Pete that makes the choice to do the hero thing everytime and in the earliest issues, and the movies have started from Spidey's earliest days, Pete was a loner in high shool and a nerd.
    That may even be a large part of what endeared him to the readers and kept Spidey goin'. I've talked to so many Spidey fan's and read comments from more who claim the fact they can relate to Pete is a large part of what they like about Spidey. If readers hadn't latched on to that would Spidey even have lasted as long as he has? He's not an archetype like the Bat or supes after all.

Spider-man's not like Batman or Superman where the civilian is the disguise. Spider-man is Peter's diguise so that he can fight crime.
    The problems you list in your third paragraph aren't down to the actor. The lack of humour from Spidey and "a dweeb yelling woo hoo and punching like a sissy and doing the over bite", 
    They're directorial and script issues. In general the actor is simply and employee doin' what they're told. Just like you or me at the office. 

I'm not sure if you're serious with the "athlete off this forum with no acting experience" idea. It's the forum part I don't get mostly.
    But in relation to the athlete part, I think that'd be a terrible idea. 
    It's much easier for an actor to bulk up, train and get in shape than it is for an athlete to learn to act. Regardless of how much they're being paid. 
    Look at DeNiro in Raging Bull, Christian Bale in The Machinist then moving to Batman Begins. I know there's more but other examples escape me right now. There's always Adrian Brody in Predators right now.
    I can't call to mind any athletes who've succesfuly made the transition to actor.

Personly I know little to nothin' about Andrew Garfield other than the fact he's a British actor. That alone give me some level of faith.
    Many fan's may not be familiar with director Mark Webb. I saw 500 Days of Summer (What?!? I saw it with a woman :P ).  It was a good movie and the lead character makes me believe Webb can direct a good Peter Parker and throw in the humour this time too. Let's just hope someone's on hand to help with the action side.

I was pretty disapointed with the first set of Spidey movies for various reasons but I can honestly say I'm looking forward to this one.

@NeoMantis said:
    " Getting paid $500,000 for doing something you (presumably) love is considered too low? Is it just me or is something way out of proportion here? "

The dude's a relative unknown. The studio's got a bargain.

@Ikkybooger said:
    " If you think about it, acting really isn't that hard of a job compared to most nine-to-fivers out there. You basically get paid to play around. So with that in context, $500,00 is a ridiculous amount of money, not to mention the 1 and 2 mill.   So yeah, if I had the part I would gladly take $500,00. Besides, it's not just the cash, it's the fame that comes with it, and then more cash comes with the fame and so on and so on. . .  "

It's acting well that is the challenge. Playing a character convincingly.
    Have you done any acting your self? :P
    Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DeadlyWolverine
    @Dro: I'm sorry Dro, but how big were you when you were 15?
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas: "
    They're directorial and script issues. In general the actor is simply and employee doin' what they're told. Just like you or me at the office.  "

Right well that's what I mean they suck in allowing a non athlete to play those parts and not notice that anything would be wrong with it before it even got to that point and then watching the scene and seeing nothing wrong with it and no one noticing it wasn't with the character. They had one scene with the spider sense that was cool but later he's getting out of breathe play fighting some scrub thugs in an alley, This isn't the guys that has hit the hulk. They seem to think he's always a dork, he's just a dork with powers now. That's not true though. Peter was ostracized for about 5 panels, because he wanted to go to a science exhibit and his other 15 year old average level intelligence friends didn't.  But after that on his own as Peter he gets with Gwen Mary Jane is chums with Harry and even his father, his colleagues like him at work even though his boss doesn't but JJJ hates everyone. His teachers liked him, his family liked him, he had pals at school even, just Flash Thompson was a dick.  Spiderman give him the opposite, it screws up his relationships with everyone except for flash who is a big Spiderman fan. (not any more after the camelian though). 

They can do like Clark and get a guy to act dorky for a while but not really be one. But instead its like they go out of there way to find a real dork to try to act like he isn't one as Spiderman. 

He's rejected for his intellectual interest not for being weak.
     He's rejected for his intellectual interest not for being weak.

We know it's going to have multiple movies. (nit if they screw up another one though) they need a MAN to play Spider-man. 
    As for people you know saying they like to identify with Peter bla bla I chalk that up to the lemming effect. I'm sorry but I really do. After Heroes Unmasked came out I heard the same kind of crap almost line for line about Batman Spiderman and Superman. It's like they're told what to think. They like something and dont know why and later AFTER that someone says problably because of X and it's a fitting tale so they go with it.  Oh Waynes a billionaire, brilliant, playboy guy you can't idenify with that. Yeah well guess what no one ever did, the kids like his cool gadgets, the fact that hes a BAT and fights a lot. They like Spiderman because he's SPIDERMAN he crawls up walls and webs people up. They don't give a turd about Peter. Its like yeah yeah get to the super hero stuff, they're just waiting for that part. It's really commonsense. They don't put up posters of Parker on the wall. It's Spiderman and usually doing something dinamic.

No one gives a crap about Banner, we're not doctors or scientist or NASA explorers, or chemists, aliens or blind, we just like Hulk FF the dr strange the Flash superman  and Dare Devil  etc. Battle and Justice is what sell it not the filler of their ordinary past lives.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight: 
    Pete was had next to no friends for years.
    Gwen and MJ didn't show up in the series for a good long time.

An actor with time to bulk up trumps an athlete with no acting experience.
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas: "
    An actor with time to bulk up trumps an athlete with no acting experience."

OR an athlete with acting experience (like they did in Batman). 

Also I beg to differ there in an action movie its better to have a person who can at least do action more than act. Look at ANY martial arts film.  Chan, Li, Sagal, Van Dam, Lee, Ja, whatever it is the action guy is the special effect people don't care or are more forgiving  about the bad English or sorta poor acting as much as a guy with perfect English and acting who looks like a little girl swatting at misquitoes in the fight scenes. I'd even accept a guy like Kato who didn't even talk over a shrimp with a tongue like Hamlet. It just all falls apart the moment they take a swing because if you don't have the HERO part in the fim then its not a super hero film. It bottoms out immediately when the hero can't actually move right, fight, or do whatever it is they're supposed to be special at doing. Some guys like Magneto it doesn't matter because his power is all done by computers or whatever or Professor X who is easy to fake reading minds, but when it's action like the hulk, you need a powerful person. As yes a person is better even that CG. I'll take 70s Hulk over Hulk of today any time. Maybe they can use this tool for Parker and have some one else play the Spiderman part with the mask on. Because when Tobey did it , it was very obvious when he had the mask on and painful.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight: 
    Was Christian Bale an athlete? I'm not familiar with that. As far as I know he's a dedicated actor who takes his art very seriously.
    His first movie was Empire of the Sun at an early age and he acted pretty consistently since. 
    If he's actively taken part in any sports I'm not aware of it.

Martial arts movies are a whole different genre. The martial arts really is the most important part there. Iknow I personally have never been impressed with the story of a movie starring any of the actors you listed. Other than JVCD but that was a massive change of direction.
    Jackie Chan's early work was a visual feast and often good fun but nothin' great story wise. Since he got old and came to hollywood his stuff's just been awful.
    Bruce Lee's movies are all about the martial arts with a slim story to hold things together.
    The Spidey movies need to be more story driven. The action and effects need to be good but they can't be the biggest selling point. Look at Ironman. Yeah it looked good but the story was solid too.
    Something to keep in mind too is the fact they can have a stunt man do fights and action. If that doesn't come together it's not the actors fault.

The makers are talking about starting from the begining. Peter was a social misfit in the begining. That wasn't just for one issue or anything. In amazing he had few if any friends for the few first few years of the series.
    The very first page of Amazing Fantasy #15 shows the general tone of how things went. That lasted right 'till Pete grew up a little and met characters like Harry and Gwen.
    The spider bite didn't change his personality. He was a nerd but he's developed over the years. He's not  even that big physically. Nor should he be. His strength comes from his powers not his physicallity.

I can understand you havent enjoyed the movies and they may not have lived up to what you want them to be but I have confidence in what's coming. A good actor with time to get in shape and a director who's last movie I enjoyed. I'll admit I've got my fingers crossed for the action part but they'll put a decent team in place for that.

I would be interested to know any actor you think may come close to what you'd like ot see.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight: 
    DUDE!
    Did you edit again?
    Proof read or something :P

I'd hate to see an actual actor play HULK again. CG please.

As for McGuire in the costume, personally I'd not be able to tell if it was hm or a stunt man.
    You keep calling Andrew Garfield a tool. He's not been in much at all so far so I'm curious as to how familiar with his work you actually are.

Also although I was personally disappointed for various reason with the first 3 Spidey movies most seemed happy enough with the first two.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Spider-Man 3 had a $258 million budget? Dang, that's like a million bucks for every person that actually liked it. *rimshot*

baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By baker1skter

BOO EFFING HOO! 500,000. omg that is such a small amount...NOT! Actors are already over paid anyways! They should cut that in half, then in half again!

neomantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By neomantis
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    "

@NeoMantis said:
    " Getting paid $500,000 for doing something you (presumably) love is considered too low? Is it just me or is something way out of proportion here? "

The dude's a relative unknown. The studio's got a bargain.  "
    According to current Hollywood standard, sure. Doesn't mean it's not out of proportion.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @NeoMantis:
    Sorry. I may have misunderstood.
    I thought you meant the rection to it.
    Yeah. Actors and sports stars and all that are over paid.
    Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dro
    @Blackestnight:  I think we're arguing something different here. I completely agree with you. He's not a nerd in any sense of the word. He spends a lot of time studying, which is why I call him a boowkorm, not because he's in any way weak.

Parker is, however, one to walk away from a fight (in street clothes). He's done it on many occasions. This is why people might call him meek or weak. But it's actually a sign of his strength. Parker doesn't let his anger rule him, and he keeps it in check for the safety of those close to him.

If we're talking about a movie that's true to the source material, you'd actually have to go through scenes of everyday Parker life. I think ASM #4, where he first fights Sandman, demonstrates this point perfectly. You have to show life as normal Peter Parker so you can show how being Spider-Man really gets in the way of that. I mean, sure, you could make an over-the-top all-action ride following Spider-Man taking on villain after villain, and forsake his life as Peter Parker, but I think that leaves out a layer of complexity that helps make Spider-Man actually interesting beyond just the fights.

But this is really an argument of tastes, I guess. What's really important is making sure that they don't make some stupid, boring drama or something else lame like that. And I'm not sure how it'll be, looking at who they've chosen.
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas: 
    He is a tool in that he is a physical weakling. That alone no matter how great he is at acting makes it a stupid role. He's not a super hero.  They don't have this problem for Hulk or Superman, because everyone know's they're strong.  But for Spiderman they  give him some pussy guy (again). It simply won't work.  All I can think of that they have in mind is they are trying to get a good Peter Parker. 

And the short argument comparison I gave is Clark Kent. You can get a bigger guy to act like a social introvert. Because at some point they're going to be the hero and be big.  It's better to go that way than to get a twig to be a twig but then have them try to act like a a super athletic action hero. They kept Pete's dorky personality even after he became Spiderman.  I don't think he ever was a dork, he was just too smart for his peers his age. He wasn't shy or weak. It wasn't all just the bad type chosen to play spiderman it was the bad writing too. They didn't have his jokes, or confidence. They made him kind of self absorbed, and for some reason he got more adolesent in the series rather than less.  SM3 was so bad the melodrama, three different villains, the emo bit, they even made Venum a tool too but next to tobey he actually looked big.  You saw the trio of Spiderman Harry and Brock on good morning America and it was like land of the little people next to even normal size people. Hey just go grab one of the blond Disney kids to play Thor and maybe that hobbit guy from lord of the rings can play Juggernaut in the next xmen after all he's been in big action films.. . sigh. 

here is Andrews director
    "  Mark my words, you will love Andrew as Peter Parker.
    Read more: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/07/06/director-you-will-love-andrew-garfield-as-peter-parker/#ixzz0syTYilcE 

I don't wnat just pure action I'd like to have both. What I was saying about martial art films is that's it possible to have an entire movie with basically no or very little plot and bad acting and fans like it any way for the action I guess porn would have been a better example. Some times people even edit those films down to just the fight scenes.  Super Heroes get in fights that's what they do. Actually for this we already know the story and we know its gonna have fighting. 

I guess Andrew can go hit the gym. I hope so. But it's already starting to look like the same crap and mistakes as the last time.

as for no reason

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight: 
    Sorry dude but your assesment of things in general still feels kinda one sided and inaquerate.
    Peter Parker was a nerd in high school and the spider-bite didn't change that. His personality remained the same. 
    He was kinda shy in the ealy issues and, again, the movie's gonna tell an early days story.
    Being "too smart for his peers" in high school makes him a social outcast. It happens all the time. In real life too.
    And he's only 5' 10''. He's not a big guy nor has he ever been. 
    As for keeping Pete's personality even when he's Spider-man. Pete is Spider-man. He keeps his personality because Spider-man's just a costume he putrs on. The jokes and banter are a defense mechanism because he's scared under the mask. Spider-man's not some bouncing harlequin who takes over Peters body when he's need
    I agree the movies made a lot of mistakes but McGuire at least started out well. He even bulked up to a good size. Any thing else would've just looked ridiculous on screen.

These aren't martial arts movies and the fans don't want what martial arts fans want.

" Hey just go grab one of the blond Disney kids to play Thor and maybe that hobbit guy from lord of the rings can play Juggernaut in the next xmen after all he's been in big action films.. . sigh."

I realise you're kiddin' with that but that's just silly.  
    McGuire worked hard to bulk up forthe roll and it worked. The only trully inacurate casting I can think of in comic movies was Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and he actually did it very well. I don't remember reading too many complaints.
    Garfield's got time to get into shape. I've got every confidence he'll do a good job.

I promise you the humour will be there this time too. Go watch 500 Days of Summer if you need to be reasured :)
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas: 
    It’s one sided but it’s not inaccurate. It's also a view that I happen to be mouthing but that a lot of people share, people I've never talked to or have any communication with all came up with the same conclusion independently. That's because that's what it is. It would be different if this side was in the media somewhere in some documentary or something but it isn't. The common thoughts are coming from the ability to reason.  Spiderman is a strong guy, these guys aren't. McQuire tried hard but in the in he's just the wrong genes then. And it wasn't just his body, he remained quiet, didn't really talk to himself, say any jokes or you know be spiderman, small stuff like that. And his fighting sucked. It was probably way better than when he started but where he started was zero. There aren't many more way to screw a character up more than to mess up the body, mess up the personality, and his style.

I hope this Andrew kid can bulk up and do the role, he already seems to have more confidence. I don't know if he's ever read the comic or not, I bet he has now.  And the reason I have to edit so much is when I type to the bottom the cursor disappears and I have to hit post then edit to get it to drop down.  I want to be wrong. I don't want another Spiderman to suck because they screwed up Spiderman. 
    But it looks like they're weighting Parker again and assuming the power set makes the character all on it's own. It doesn't. 

As for Wolverine, aside from being taller, I didn't see how Hugh was a bad choice, he acted like Wolverine acts and his action scenes were acceptable. He was a hell of a lot more believable than flabbo McQuire looking like he barely memorized  choreography meant for special children's karate class.

It's like they sat around a room and said hmm who have we not screwed up yet what would really piss off the fans, Oh I know Venum. Lets have a dweeb (actually shorter and Gwen) play him (you can't argue that Brock was a puss) and kill him off oh and kill Harry too, but not before they both smooch on MJ a few times. Can we cram another villain in there origin and all? Sure lets just shove some comics in a shot gun and explode it off in the room and then go around picking up bits and see which character it lands on and that's the script. Here sandman and venum AND a goblin, and Stacy and MJ uh huh a black suit, sure couple more villains lets flash back to the original goblin too and the first burglar  no wait buglars who killed his uncle.  Wait wait get this in the end they'll all be friends. That black suit makes you really aggressive so how can we portray that I know have the runt put eye make up on and get a super hero that can lift box cars full of people and stop moving trains to get in a fist fight with local drunks in a jazz club, because that makes sense, holding back your strength when you're supposed to be out of control. Make MJ and Peter (the ultimate marriage) both cheat on each other and also have MJ fail at everything she does. Sounds perfect... puke
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight: 
    The actor doesn't have to big or even strong. Spidey's strength doesn't come from his physique. A bigger actor in the roll would look silly.
    Most of your critiques are not the actors fault but rather script and directorial descisions.  

You're exagerating greatly in a lot of your analyisis too. MCGuire wasn't a "flabbo" and poor fighting was, again, not his fault. I'm gonna hazard a guess a lot of the fights were probably double in the costume too.

As for Jackman. You're crumbling about actors you feel are physically inacurate for their roll.
    Jackman was too tall, too handsome and maybe even too young for Wolverine. He was a good screen Wolverine but he wasn't comic book Wolverine.

(To avoid adding to your comments after posting either keep typing and the screen will catch up or click and hold the bottom right corner of the type space and drag it to make it bigger)
    Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dro
    @Gylan Thomas: Jumping back in, I've gotta side with Blackestnight on some of these issues.

First off, Peter Parker has always been built. So a cut actor would be true to the source material. I'm not saying bulky, I'm not saying huge. Just well-defined musculature.

Also, Parker wasn't exactly a nerd. He was a social outcast, for sure, but he wasn't really all that shy. He managed to get along fine with Liz Allan and Betty Brant. He wasn't really all that meek when dealing with Flash and other guys, such as the Human Torch, either. He always had snappy comebacks and a strong attitude.

@Blackestnight: I also find myself siding with Gylan a bit too, though. The movie needs to be Parker-centered. Spider-Man is one aspect of his life. It's a pretty big aspect, and it interferes with other parts, but it's still just one facet to the Peter Parker character. This is a problem more fundamental than just the actor however. First Sony needs a team who's going to actually write the scenes well. Then the actor needs to be able to properly deliver them.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Dro said:
    " @Gylan Thomas: Jumping back in, I've gotta side with Blackestnight on some of these issues.

First off, Peter Parker has always been built. So a cut actor would be true to the source material. I'm not saying bulky, I'm not saying huge. Just well-defined musculature.

Also, Parker wasn't exactly a nerd. He was a social outcast, for sure, but he wasn't really all that shy. He managed to get along fine with Liz Allan and Betty Brant. He wasn't really all that meek when dealing with Flash and other guys, such as the Human Torch, either. He always had snappy comebacks and a strong attitude.

@Blackestnight: I also find myself siding with Gylan a bit too, though. The movie needs to be Parker-centered. Spider-Man is one aspect of his life. It's a pretty big aspect, and it interferes with other parts, but it's still just one facet to the Peter Parker character. This is a problem more fundamental than just the actor however. First Sony needs a team who's going to actually write the scenes well. Then the actor needs to be able to properly deliver them. "
    I don't remember him bein' that confident early on out of the mask. Particularly with the Torch for example. After he became Spidey he started to grow in confidence but it wasn't an over night thing.
    I do seem to recall the early Lee/ Ditko stuff had him pretty geeky. Sure he'd talk to Liz but he wasn't exactly cool or noticed by her. 
    I pretty mich agree with what you're saying about his size too. He's not big but he does need to be in shape. That's what I've been sayin'. 
    Unfotunately most actors who are already "cut" generally are that good at the actual acting part of their job. Hard to find both in one package.
    MCGuire got in shape and Garfield has time too.
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas:  I said Jackman was too tall, but at leas he acted like Wolverine acts.  A lot of things were off in that movie, X force getting wiped out, Sabratoot and Wolverine are brothers, dead pool can teleport and had baraka blades and a sown up mouth, they killed off a bunch of people, Mavric was Korean, but in the end Wolverine fans didn't care, because the core of wolverine was there, a brash bad ass that kills bub.  

Spiderman's character wasn't there at all, no jokes or sarcasm, no fighting skill, and the wrong body type. He's also a much bigger character. And part of the reason spiderman couldn't fight is because Tobey can't fight. He can't even fake fight. He simply isn't athletic enough. Which is why he was bad for the role from the start. It's s super hero movie. Dorks can't be super heros, super heros can be dorks but not the other way around. Thus Reeve could play Clark because he was more fitting for superman. But Tobey who is pure parker was not fit for spiderman and this other guy looks like a twig too.
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Dro:  I have no problem with it being Peter centered in the first film but then Peter has to be more accurate.  And Sure Sony is to blame for a ton of it. What I am saying is they screw it up right from the start as soon as they pick a tiny guy uncoordinated guy to play the role. And there was no excuse with a masked character to not have someone else do the fights with a full mask instead of having a ripped one and letting overbite thrash about.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Blackestnight said:
    " @Gylan Thomas:  I said Jackman was too tall, but at leas he acted like Wolverine acts.  A lot of things were off in that movie, X force getting wiped out, Sabratoot and Wolverine are brothers, dead pool can teleport and had baraka blades and a sown up mouth, they killed off a bunch of people, Mavric was Korean, but in the end Wolverine fans didn't care, because the core of wolverine was there, a brash bad ass that kills bub.    Spiderman's character wasn't there at all, no jokes or sarcasm, no fighting skill, and the wrong body type. He's also a much bigger character. And part of the reason spiderman couldn't fight is because Tobey can't fight. He can't even fake fight. He simply isn't athletic enough. Which is why he was bad for the role from the start. It's s super hero movie. Dorks can't be super heros, super heros can be dorks but not the other way around. Thus Reeve could play Clark because he was more fitting for superman. But Tobey who is pure parker was not fit for spiderman and this other guy looks like a twig too. "
    We're just goin' round in circles now and I'm bored with it.

Comic Spidey is not a particularly big guy. He's even only 5'10'' tall.

Again. He doesn't need to be big becasue his powers don't come from his physicallity. 

The characterisation of Spidey in the movies was not the actors fault and the body type was fine. Any bigger would've looked wrong on screen in live action. 
    Most of the fighting in the movies probably wasn't even done by McGuire but more likely stunt doubles so that's irrelevant. 
    Did Spidey even have fighting skills at that early stage in his superhero career? Was he bitten by a radioactive karate spider? No. He got by on speed, agility and spider strength.
    McGuire did fine in the role and most people seem to think so. I didn't even like the movies that much and I think he did fine. My biggest problem was the character didn't develope across the three movies. But, again, that's not the actors fault. As I said before, the thing's you state as problems are not even the actors fault so you can't justify blaming the actor.
    They're not a dorks. They're actors. Frankly McGuire's a better and more experienced actor than Reeve who's Clark Kent was a cartoon. However again that's a driectiorial issue and not a problem with the actor.
    Garfeild may "look like a twig" now but by the time filming starts I have no doubt he'll be in shape. 

As I've already said, in a movie a good actor trumps an athlete every time. Movies aren't a sport. They're a story telling medium. 
    I can't think of anyone who's ever made a truly succesfull transition from athlete to actor.
    You may well throw back someone like Swarcheneger or even Mr T but they could hardly be called versatile. I doubt the academy will ever be considering them for any awards.

Your winging about McGuire not looking right for his roll yet totally accepting the huge difference between Wolverine on the page and the screen.  He was too tall, too handsome and the wrong build. Sure he bulked up more for the solo movie but the first three X-movies weren't entirely loyal to the page.
    And was he portrayed in the movies as he was in the comics? At that early stage in the characters developement Wolverine should've been a lot more savage and anti social, shouldn't he?

The movies and comics are seperate. We the fanboys need to get used to that.

I'm bored with this now so let's stop.
    We disagree and we've started to repeat ourselfs. 
    I'll close with this, movies and comics are two seperate mediums. Good actors and not athletes are what is needed and a big Spider-man would look wrong on the screen.

No offence but please don't respond to this comment unless you have something new to add. You're really not selling me on your point. 
    It's been fun but we're done.

Thanks
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @Gylan Thomas: 
    Spiderman is a big guy, not real tall but as far as hollywood goes that's tall. Barely anyone in hollywoods breaks 6 feet.  Tobey is a very small guy.  He was barely bigger than Dunst. 

here's a better pick for the masked portions of spiderman  6 hours a day for 6 months that's a super hero. Was in speed racer and ninja assassin.

Not a huge man, but a strong man. And agile, flexible, and athletic the things spiderman is. As far as jokes and liners go, that's the beauty of having a mask you can add them in any time. That's why spider toons get translated into japanese first. there is nothing to sync. 
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Thor's hammmer

I'd play spider-man for free

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.