Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How have you been affected by the events of 700?

• 52 results
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

This is a question I thought I needed to ask, and since I'm asking I thought it only fair to answer it myself honestly, because every since 700s release, I have have been surprised by how much this has affected me, especially since it is over a fictional character.

In particular, Peter Parker and Mary Jane, every since the issue's release, it has been the most on my mind, I can't seem to go a whole day without thinking about it and wondering why did it have to happen this way, am I worried, a little. For you see I consider myself a rational person and to find myself treating these two as real people, has me questioning myself and possibly, my sanity ( I say with a little smirk). which makes me question the type of person I am, mainly whether or or not I am as put together as I thought I was.

If I am to surmise why I am being affected this way, I guess it's because I grew up with these two and have followed both since I began reading Amazing Spider-man and to find my two main favorite characters treated in this manner really made me angry, angry enough to voice my opinions, more than I have voiced for any other character that had a similar treatment. For instance 2 other characters that effected me about 3/4 of how I'm feeling now, so quite a bit, would be that of Silver Sable & Victoria Hand, for whom I created RIP (SS) (VH) topics, granted I jumped the gun with Silver Sable.

So I would like to ask if anyone else is having a similar experience to me, because if you're not, I think it would be time for me to re-evaluate myself :)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By PunyParker

I am cool.....i know that Pete will be back,and i am willing to wnjoy the Superior ride!..

I've been more affected when they cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man season 3,or when Bendis killed Ultimate Peter...

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TDK_1997

Well I was amazed that it actually happened and the end wasn't something that I liked that much but I know that he will be back and I am looking forward to Superior Spider-Man.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By animehunter

@PunyParker: I wasn't that affected by the death of Ultimate Peter at least not as much as 700 affected me. I would say the reason is because of how he died, at least he was given honorable death, a death that meant he did what he set out to do, and people saw him for the hero he was. Now, people might argue that's what we saw happen to Peter in 700, all I saw was a bad guy winning, which resulted in the death Peter, doesn't matter if Doc Ock vows to do good and not be a villain, because Peter sent him his memories. It still resulted in Dr Ock stealing Peter's life, his job, his relationships with friends and family, especially with Mary Jane.

To me, this almost looks like Slott gave Peter all this, only to give it all to who I hear is his favorite character and for who he wanted to give the lime light to.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#5  Edited By TheCannon

I haven't really been effected by it. I know Peter will be back. I'm just happy we got a few awesome issues of Spidey and it'll be in interesting to see what happens in the Superior Spider-Man.

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Earth616

I know!!!! I just can't stop thinking about it!!!!!

No Caption Provided
    saintjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By saintjimmy

Never really liked doc ock in the first place, and now that he's spiderman, no just no. I'll read the first issue of Superior spiderman to give it a shot, but I'll most likely drop it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8  Edited By PunyParker
    NightHaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NightHaunter

I was more upset about Victoria to be honest.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By animehunter
    ComicFan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ComicFan93

Everyone is torn up over the loss of Peter Parker. Even Stan Lee hated the idea of killing him off. What makes it worse is how Peter died. He didn't get a hero's death, or even the death of a decent human being. It was just cruel and mean-spirited.

On a side note, Doc Ock in Peter's body is a repugnant substitute for Spider-Man. Out of respect for Stan Lee and his material, I'm skipping any Spider-Man comic until they bring Peter back.

NightHaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NightHaunter

I was never a big Spider-Man fan and I've only read 692-700 so I'm not emotionally invested, but in his final moments he accepted death and used his time to teach Otto, then gave him his blessing, so there were at least shades of heroism. Although I do think though if a character I loved died similarly I'd be livid.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Skipping any Spiderman related comic. I'm not into idiocy...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

I stop buying Spider-man comics till Peter comes back. Other then that hasn't effected me much although I've been looking into some IDW series recently.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I was very disappointed at first, but now I am slowly getting over it. I am not too excited for Superior, I will get the first issue, but if it isn't captivating then I plan on moving on to other comics. I will probably replace ASM with Scarlet Spider and Venom, so this may help me to branch out further into Marvel, since I mainly read DC

the3rdborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the3rdborn

I don't think Peter had to die and they shouldn't have canceled ASM I'm 50/50 on the whole thing i will be collecting Superior Spider man to see how it goes but Spider-man isn't spider-man without the true one and only Peter Parker.They should stop trying to sale comics with shock value and bring new writers in who can tell new stories

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By lorex

Not the worlds biggest Spider-Man fan but I do not think this will be a long term change cause frankly it is far to great a change from the accepted norm for this character. I will give credit to Slott for coming up with a creative way for Doc Octivaus to torment his enemy, leaving him trapped in a old dieing body. That I have no problem with. What I don't like is the scene with him meeting his loved ones in the afterlife and being sent back to the world of the living and then failing but having Octivaus absorb his memories and promise to take up the hero mantle, was a little too much. I can see this blowing up in Marvels face like the clone thing did. I do not see this lasting long term because as I said it is too big of a change. Peter Parker will be back one way or another, I am just wondering if this change will last a year cause I think Octivaus will not be able to live up to what is expected of Spider-Man.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By animehunter

@lorex: It wasn't the afterlife, it was more of a dream state, when he lost consciousness. we know this because Silver Sable was there and according to Julia Carpenter she is alive and returning,

Here are the images where she the mentions it

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By jayskee

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spiderslike

In some ways I'm glad because this is really strange and unique change thats going to happen to the character. We all know a big change like this won't stick for more than maybe a year two tops. Till then we have a much smarter and creative Spider-Man who may change things up for the better. I'm just hoping to enjoy the ride which I intend to.

inkBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inkBot

I'm affected like this:

Silly and over the top? Yes. Honest? Fuck yes!

Like I said in the spoiler thread. I am done.

I have three things from my childhood that I hold dear. TMNT, Megaman and Spider-Man. I don't really care if the Superior book turns out to be good, or even excellent, I have no innate desire to read it. At all. Even if Peter comes back I won't start reading again, unless someone I trust completely forcibly convinces me to read it if it starts getting good. Heck, even if Peter comes back I BET YAH it's gonna be a return to the status quo

I'm done with buying Spider-Man products. Yes, products. Not only the comics, but merch and movies etc. I recently bought the Marvel vs Capcom Complete Works artbook, and I struggled with that since Spider-Man is in it, even though he's a pretty tiny part of it.

So yeah, that's how the dice has rolled in regards to me. Make of it what you will, I don't care.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shawnbaby

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Not sure if you are aware...but that's Photoshopped.

Here's the original
    Here's the original
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Mercy_
    @jayskee

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

You're aware this is photoshopped, right?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mercy_

Aaaaand nevermind.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By darthfury78

I feel that Superior Spider-Man will be Dan Slott’s last Spider-Man story to tell the way he wants to tell it. Marvel has taken this risk because Dan Slott must have given them an impressive argument about his idea. I would assume that they were planning to put Dan in another Marvel title when he begged the Editors to allow him to complete his run on Spider-Man in a way that no past Spider-Man writer has ever done. So, I say let Dan get to tell his story the way he wants. And Let Peter Parker stay in Hell until his kids arrive to free him.

lordgawain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lordgawain

I for one am excited about this. Its a new way to tell stories instead of trying to tell old stories with a different slant. But i wouldnt put it past marvel to bring back parker. comics tend to do this with their characters. Cap america, hal jordan, superman etc. This is just a different take on a heroes death. For me an exciting take

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@lordgawain: If I had told you my idea, 5 years ago, that I'd like to see for a couple of years, an arch-enemy of Peter, stealing his identity, his life, his everything, becoming the Spiderman, what would you say? Wouldn't you consider my idea a little bit idiotic? The fact that Slott thought of something "new" (it's not new, it has happened before, but it would last for a little while, not for a goddamn period) doesn't make this approachn ecessarily more interesting. As another guy in the Vine wrote, I have to invest emotionally to a guy that murdered brutally my favourite hero? That ripped him of everything? Really? DOC OCK becoming the Spiderman? WHY????? It's just idiotic and imbecilic. Not funny, not creative, not respectful. I do hope you enjoy the ride of Inferior Spiderman, cause I'm dropping Spiderman. I'm 31 years old, I've been reading Pete for 20 years. Marvel showed no respect. I will show her no money.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Strider1992

@animehunter: Getting attached to characters is pretty normal. As long as it doesn't lead you to do irrational things like send death threats I don't see a problem with you being worried about the outcome.

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Shame this is photoshopped. This on the otherhand:

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By animehunter

@Strider92: Yeah, you're right, I guess I can be happy I'm not that far gone

I'm glad Stan isn't too thrilled with Slott killing Peter, I wouldn't be if a character I created was killed off, especially the way Slott did it.

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silverageguy

@ComicFan93: I completely agree. The more people who refuse to supporrt this nonsense the better. If sales of superior spiderman tank, the sooner you will see Peter Parker return. Its all about the money, its certainly not about pleasing the long time fan base.

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silverageguy

@animehunter: no, you are not alone. This unforgiveable treatment of one of americas great literary icons was disturbing, troubling and deeply unsatisfying. Even if it isnt permanent, Shame on Marvel for giving a green light to this disaster, and shame on the fans who support it. Marvel has been in rhe process of deconstructing Spiderman for several years now. sad to see it utimately go this way.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jayskee

@Shawnbaby said:

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Here's the original
    Here's the original

no I wasn't

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blackkitty

Honestly, I stopped getting Spider-Man after One Day More. This really is just another reason why I stopped getting it. I mean, Spider-Man makes a deal with the devil, Spider-Man reveals his secret id, spider-man is a clone, and now this. I think the whole Doc Ock as Peter is creepy, passing himself off as someone he's not and pretending he's a hero is idiotic. And the mere idea that the man who killed Peter gets to run free and call himself a hero is not something I really want to read about. So in the end, no. People keep saying Peter will be back, honestly, not if everyone keeps buying this.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZenTzen

lets just say i'm gonna start reading spiderman comics again when this **** gets fixed and peter is back, i'm pissed, really f****** pissed

Avatar image for winterfreakinsoldier
    WinterFreakinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter:

No Caption Provided

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darthfury78

@WinterFreakinSoldier: I don't think that Stan would say anything bad about the way Marvel does business?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animehunter

@WinterFreakinSoldier: guess I was wrong, Oh well!!!

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ComicStooge

@jayskee said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Here's the original
    Here's the original

no I wasn't

Why the hell is he shredding Death Of Superman?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shawnbaby

@ComicStooge: Probably because it's terrible.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By darthfury78

@ComicStooge: The issue that Stan shredded was the Death of Superman from 1992. It would have stick to this day if DC had not brought him back a few months later. If a comic company wants to kill off a character they should keep him dead until a reboot has begun.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ComicStooge

@Shawnbaby said:

@ComicStooge: Probably because it's terrible.

*shrugs* I enjoyed it.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@Strider92 said

Please tell me that tweet is real, because that's priceless!

LivingWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LivingWire

it's just sad....until now, i can't face the fact that my childhood superhero is dead and was replaced by doc-ock. What's worse is HIM becoming the new spider-man. These are the sad things about reboots or great comic changes....sometimes you just need to let go and face the truth. But sure, I'll give Superior Spider-man a chance and read its comics, but of course i still believe that someday the great Peter Parker will return. :D

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Strider1992

@Moonchilde: Yeah its 100% real you can see it on both Dan Slott's and Lee's twitter page.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By animehunter

Just got some information, for those wondering if what might happen between SSM (decided never to refer to him by his full name again, doesn't deserve it) and Mary Jane is rape or not.

Here in UK, we actually have a piece of legislation that covers it. it falls under the Sexual offenses Act 2003 Section 76, and under it, it is considered rape / A Sexual Offence

Summary

Section 76

Section 76 of the Act introduces a number of conclusive presumptions. These are where the defendant deceives the victim to the nature or purpose of relevant act (i.e. fraud) and where the defendant induces the victim to consent by impersonating someone known to the complainant. When this is proven, the law states that it is then conclusively presumed that the defendant did not believe that the complainant consented to the relevant act, and that the complainant did not consent to the relevant act.

Straight from the legislation

Section 76

Conclusive presumptions about consent

(1)If in proceedings for an offence to which this section applies it is proved that the defendant did the relevant act and that any of the circumstances specified in subsection (2) existed, it is to be conclusively presumed—

(a)that the complainant did not consent to the relevant act, and

(b)that the defendant did not believe that the complainant consented to the relevant act.

(2)The circumstances are that—

(a)the defendant intentionally deceived the complainant as to the nature or purpose of the relevant act;

(b)the defendant intentionally induced the complainant to consent to the relevant act by impersonating a person known personally to the complainant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is an article that might interest you

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/26/rape-redemption-and-the-amazing-spider-man-spoilers/

symbiotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By symbiotic

I'm out for a while. I just got back into comics in the last few months. Was a big comic fan back in the late 80s early 90s, and got out of it. With the 50th anniversary and 700th issue, I got a subscription to MDCU and caught up with my favorite character. I've probably spent $200 on comics over the past few months, but the 50th anniversary and 700th were really disappointing. Its not a huge deal for me to take a break again, but I was really getting back into it. Eventually I might renew my MCDU and catch up and see if Slott finished his story as well as he thinks he is going to, but the 700th issue did nothing to make me want to pick up Avenging or Superior. My wife will be happy to stop getting $2-$4 charges for the comics filling in the back issues missing on MCDU. I read every issue from 500 up to 700 and now that Amazing is done and PP is for the time being it's as good a time as any to get back to normal life.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jayskee

@ComicStooge said:

@jayskee said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Here's the original
    Here's the original

no I wasn't

Why the hell is he shredding Death Of Superman?

no idea

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jayskee said:

This is how I felt.

Right on Stan. Right on

Here's what really happened:

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By OmegaHans

...but they'll never kill Wolverine...

C'mon Marvel, I double dog dare you...

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dayvid3

Not a fan, especially the method. I've always found the whole forced body takeover/impersonation as something of a very intimate violation. Very disturbing. Then add in the whole mary jane aspect, creepy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.