Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

how fast is Spider-man?

• 136 results
    segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bezza: I did manage to find an old comic written by Stan Lee himself where Spidey actually uses his speed in a sprint (instead of agility). He was obviously trying to portray Pete as some kind of low level untouchable speedster back then. Human Torch even commented that he had never seen anything on land move that fast before(Pete even says he's using super speed to spin the cement mixer). He could very literally run circles around me like a speedster (not like Flash granted) if he wanted to.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@segamarvel:

Yeah, shame we don't see so much of that now...Spidey has taken some serious beatings in recent years as I was reminded when I flicked through the Civil War TP in a bookshop earlier today!

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I thought he was decently kicking ass in that comic. He webbed up Iron man, Speedblitzed multiple villains and Mr Fantastic and even beat Rhino with brute force instead of his brain power for once in a long time.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bezza

@segamarvel:

...did he do all this in the main Civil War book? Ive got the "Spiderman/Peter Parker" spin off where Rhino half kills him and flicking through the main Civil War TP today, Punisher brought him into casualty having been beaten half to death...do I need to purchase the "Amazing Spiderman " civil war book?

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think Peter is similar to a real spiders in terms of speed: short but quick bursts. For instance, Spider-Man can dodge a bullet after it's been fired but he can't run at the speed of a bullet for long periods. He's more of a pouncer rather than a long distance speedster.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theodixon9: I do agree that his "pouncing" is a lot faster then his running, but he still runs at superhuman speeds for long distances. In one comic he fought Morlun for 12 hours straight (he was even draining spideys energy with every punch on top of that). In the same comic he said that he takes so long to get tired that he would end up in New Jersey by the time he did at the speed he was going at.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57  Edited By theodixon9

@segamarvel: I agree, no doubt he can run at super speeds (plus he's got super stamina) but he's not so fast that everybody else on his level of crime fighting can't keep up with him.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love posting feats when he "Flash Steps".

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I have another theory on why Peter's combat speed is 40x faster while his travel is much lower. Hear me out on this one. What if. Just what if, Peter's reflexes are on this level because if Peter was forced to "crawl" like a real spider instead of run on two feet like a man then he would have to multiply his crawling movement speed by at least 40 to have the overall speed of a spider. Makes sense?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By w0nd

@segamarvel said:

Ok I have another theory on why Peter's combat speed is 40x faster while his travel is much lower. Hear me out on this one. What if. Just what if, Peter's reflexes are on this level because if Peter was forced to "crawl" like a real spider instead of run on two feet like a man then he would have to multiply his crawling movement speed by at least 40 to have the overall speed of a spider. Makes sense?

I don't understand, but probably because I am just slow lol.

Adding to his speed he can catch bullets out of thin air, it's just he's not durable enough to actually do it without bleeding all over the place. He's done it before it was quite hilarious.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By segamarvel

@w0nd: I want you to imagine yourself crawling on all fours instead of on two feet, multiply by 40 then viola you got the proportionate speed of a spider. Seeing that Spidey can move 40x faster than normal acrobats actually makes sense. Sure He cant run at that pace but he can still move that fast with his agility and in h2h combat speed. Pete's Combat speed reflexes actually works alongside his agility to move this fast. So yes He's faster than bullets, He just cant outrun them, but with agility/reflexes like that who needs to run? As I have already said Spiders (depending on the species) have run at speeds that range from 33 to 48 times their body length per second. Peter is 5foot10inches tall so since he is constantly boasting about having the proportionate speed and strength of a spider Peter should be able to move at these speeds which for his size ranges at about 130 to 190 mph. If a human could "crawl" on all four limbs instead of on two feet at about (I'm guessing on this part) 3 or 4 mph then multiply it by 40 he would have the overall speed of a spider (both combat and travel wise). I think he can run slighty faster on two feet but not much because of shear wind resistance. Make sense now? It's just a theory.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Spidey did run at 80.4 miles per hour in a comic once before

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: While that is impressive it's barely half of what I would expect of him for a guy that has the speed of a spider.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not see him being able to swing through the air at Mach 2 on a non WIS basis. It is a similar feat to pushing the moon to block out the sun. It can be done in a comic book, but it is legitimately stupid if the reader has a third grade feeling for gravity.

Spiderman can run from 150-225mph and not violate his 40x AVERAGE human agility. And his very high human agility is Because it is based on Instantaneous velocity. A human can run at a peak speed of 27 mph IRL. But it takes several seconds to get there. Agility is a combination of reaction speed and reaction time. Because Spiderman is over 100x stronger than the average human, his reaction speed should be 10x greater. His reaction time/reflex is 1/15th that of an average human. The result is that in 1/15 the time of the average human reflex, he has made 10x the movement.

This is why so many people feel that he can outrun bullets, because he can actually react to threats in a way much faster than the average human.

Case in point, the bullet dodge scans have all been cases of Spiderman doing a LOT of stuff in a fraction of a second. With the average human reaction time around .2 sec, Spiderman can do 10x as much in .07> and >.06 the time. It is why he can jump in front of a group of gunmen trying to kill vermin, and put up a web shield. He is NOT faster than the bullets themselves, but his reaction feats combined with his Spider Sense precog make his reactions so fast and accurate that it would seem that he does.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord:Skip to about 8:10

How was it possible for Peter to not only see them in slow motion but have his movements seem unaffected compared to the colledge students? He moved as if he was moving in normal time while the other guys were slow and sluggish looking in comparison to not just how he reacted, but how fast he moved. On top of that you can clearly tell Peter's actions were voluntary by the look on his face as if his thoughts were fast enough to keep up. He cleared a small distance by jumping over them. And yet he doesn't move even remotely this fast over longer distances or in sprints. Is it just me or does this scene make it look like Peter's combat speed, reaction time, and thought speed are all on the same level ratio? Does this mean that comic spidey really can move faster then bullets whenever he "jumps" or moves to the other side of his opponent short distances in combat? Because if his movement speed in combat really is 40x then he should technically be throwing at least 40 punches in under one second.

When I first saw this scan of Superman complimenting Wonder Womans reflexes simply because of how fast she jumped and kicked at him, I thought this: WTF does that have to do with reflexes (and movement speed technically covering short distance)? That jump attack was clearly voluntary on her part and not a reflexive action. If she can control her actions willingly this much at this speed then why shouldn't it be possible for her to simply "function" at this speed without even resorting to running? Why shouldn't characters like Spiderman use this speed willingly just to do something as easy as a house chore without resorting to fighting? I'm not reffering to travel speed (running) though. Just everything else in your actions.

Another example that further confuses me between the speed differences in thought, reaction, and combat. Why is it that Spidey seems to be fast enough to "see" a bullet in motion and equally fast enough movements to do anything about it and on top of that he actually has time to think sentences in his head all within the same timeframe? Does this mean Peter can literally "operate" or "function" at this speed (NOT running speed though) without even resorting to involuntary reflex actions?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bezza

..I understand spiderman has fought Quicksilver before, how did that go?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By w0nd

@bezza said:

..I understand spiderman has fought Quicksilver before, how did that go?

he stuck his arm out and quicksilver knocked himself out.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: just inconsistent things to make him look better. He flipped a train car over by flicking his finger once.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd:

So he's faster enough or has good enough reactions to tag a speedster. Cool.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@w0nd:

he dodged lasers which were coming at the speed of light.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By w0nd

@bezza said:

@w0nd:

that and he listened to his spider sense most likely instead of fighting with his eyes. But scarlet spider cut a low evel speedster in half and he has no spider sense, so i dont know how he pulled that one off lol

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Exactly how fast do you have to be to be considered a speedster? Whizzers a speedster and his top speed is only freaking 100 mph, and yet that's apparently fast enough to run on water.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: What about a spiders reflexes?I never see anything on the internet stating How Good a Spider's reflexes and agility are REALISTICALLY not Spider-man like

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By segamarvel

@w0nd: All I'm saying is that Spidey's "combat Speed" allows him to dance circles around his opponents at close corners/small distances. His reflexes enhance all his movement speed except running speed. So unless a "low level" speedsters running speed is 40x faster then normal he's still getting tagged since all Spidey has to do is jump reflexely to close that short distance and pounce. Spidey's speed is in his instantaneous movements. Running however takes time to reach and thus doesn't count. If Spidey were to dodge by jumping out of the way of a trap it would still be clearing a distance 40x faster then a normal jump. Once again I'm NOT referring to running speed. That's why Spidey leaves afterimages in all sorts of different poses around his enemies.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: We can just safely assume the Spiders reflexes and strength was increased from the radiation (comic book physics)

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: I can't tell if you think I am disagreeing with you or not....but I am not

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fast enough that he's confident enough to wear a suit with no armor

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Sorry. I must have misinterpreted your words. I just hate how combat speed and movement speed are labeled different even though it's not. It's still a form of movement.

Homifred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't underestimate a spider's speed, reflexes and agility guys.

Jumping spiders can move so quickly in battle they literally become a mere blur as Monster Bug Wars and other Spider documentaries so eagerly remind us.

The fangs of the spitting spider can move 1000 times within a second, something that was undocumented in any other living creature (at the time).

The flip flac spider is capable of traveling at twice its running speed via acrobatic flips and somersaults.

The common house Spider (as other individuals on this topic have already undoubtedly stated) can move 33 times its body length in a second.

Many people claim Spider-man is far faster than than any spider

should be proportionally, but honestly, most of the arachnids' feats make Spider-man look...normal, plain even, in comparison (few things are cooler than walking on water).

Spiders are cooler than we thought and I truly believe that (Marvel) hasn't truly utilized a Spider's true abilities. Instead of giving Spider-man new spider related tricks to revitalize the reader, they instead create new characters and give them improved Spider powers.

Frustratingly when they do engage in such character development, they 'apparate' it away with their magic wands.

On topic though, if we were to use a flip flac Spider as a module, then we could assume that when Spider-man leaps, he travels twice as fast as his running Speed. The OHTMU handbook claimed it is over 100.

If we were to use the equations another comic vine user utilized, then he would be a little over 130 mph. Let's say his running speed is 132 mph, he would be able to travel at 264 mph via leaping. This would make Spider-man Subsonic (which the Marvel handbook has stated, is 250 mph).

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@homifred: I like the fact that you are using a real Spider's abilities to explain his limits, and I agree with most of it (after all I'm the user that originally brought it up). However we aren't limited to using just the common house spider. The Giant house spider can move at 40 times it's body length per second. In All fairness I think Peter's running speed is normal compared to a spider, HOWEVER it's his senses,reflexes, combat speed (which were stated to be 40x faster then normal) that makes Peter faster in that regard. In my mind Peter runs at about 160 mph (or more) but his speed via jumping, combat, are supersonic (40x any of those movements would have to be on that level). I agree, Spiders are awesome.

Homifred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Homifred

Indeed, I'm glad you agree. I was unaware that there was a spider that was capable of sprinting faster than the common house spider though; evidence that no matter how much you think you know, the acquired knowledge never covers every aspect of any concept. Thank you for educating me once again, segamarvel.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By segamarvel

@homifred: Your welcome. We both still have much to learn about this fascinating creature. People always say Spidey's webs are stronger then steel. What they don't know is that a real spiders web is in fact 5 times stronger then steel. I believe Peters artificial webbing is just as strong if not stronger then a real organic spider web (after all he is always capable of modifying it). In the new Spider-Man movie it is stated to be 10x stronger then steel. I'm pretty sure the comic versions webbing is superior to the movie one. I recommend that you read these two fanfics. They actually explain Spidey's powers in the most realistic way to a spider (which is cool). https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9726302/1/New-Marvel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8313213/1/Another-Spider-or-The-Weavers

Hopefully you will enjoy reading this as much as I did. He truly is portrayed as a strong,durable, fast superhuman scientifically like a spider in this story.

CountofMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Spiderman ever cause sonic booms when he is swinging through the city?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By segamarvel

@countofmc: LOL No. But I think he should whenever he reflexively leaps and dodges bullets pointblank.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He could literally flash step all of marvels martial artists in a group and knock them out while they try to react

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By segamarvel

@jimishim12: This is true. Having the ability to move faster then human eyes alone should be enough speed to own a martial artist. They cant react to what they cant see. Even Kraven and Rhino couldn't follow his movements if he doesn't want them to. Even his daughter who has the same speed as him is described as moving at a speed that is like your attacking from everywhere at once in an instant.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By segamarvel

Does anyone ever stop to think that Spidey is technically fast enough to RUN ON WATER? The basilisk lizard is able to run on water. A human would have to run at speeds of over 67 mph to do the same thing. http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Can-Humans-Run-On-Water.html

http://www.livescience.com/32670-could-humans-walk-on-water.html

http://atomicuniverse.org/3/post/2014/06/88-mph.html

No Caption Provided

If even freaking Whizzer (Who's top speed is only 100 mph) can run on water then I'm sure Spidey could to. I once played the Incredibles Game and Dash was able to do that to and his top speed was only 190 mph. Admit it. That would look so cool.

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andferne: actually based on physics and the mechanics of a web slinging would be. he would be able to move no faster than 30 mph while using his webs

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By randell1985

@vegandiet:the main reason that is odd because based on physics there is no way a human could web sling faster than 30 mph even with spiderman strength as the speed of web slinging is based solely around the pendulum effect he can move based on the length of the web and the angle he is at when the web is shot in reality it would be logical for him to run instead of web sling

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randell1985: You realize this is a comic book, right? Real world physics don't matter at all. If the narration said he moved that fast, then that's how fast he moved. End of.

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet: Yes but most comics try to add in science even if its junk science. spiderman is simply far faster than he should be

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.