Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How does spidy sense work?

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agentxx

They really never explained how the spider sense worked.

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Planewalker

It's like a precognitive ability that allows him to see 3 or 4 seconds ahead and that's way he can dodge bullets at point blank shot.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

When something bad's about to happen, everything/everyone around Spider-Man goes into a super slow-mo. To him, Spidey's moving the same rate as he would normally move, but in reality, he's moving extremely fast compared to everyone else. He might not know what's about to happen, but at the rate he's moving at, he should be able to dodge/counter whatever's endangering him.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024 said:

When something bad's about to happen, everything/everyone around Spider-Man goes into a super slow-mo. To him, Spidey's moving the same rate as he would normally move, but in reality, he's moving extremely fast compared to everyone else. He might not know what's about to happen, but at the rate he's moving at, he should be able to dodge/counter whatever's endangering him.

I'm aware thats kind of how it was explained in the first Spider-Man movie (high school scene). Was it really ever explained in the comics like that? I would like to know
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: To be honest, I have no idea. That's the way I thought it worked for any medium, lol.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

From wikipedia:

Spider-Man's "spider-sense" manifests in a tingling feeling at the base of his skull, alerting him to personal danger in proportion to the severity of that danger (Crofts 2011) . It appears to be a simultaneous, seemingly clairvoyant response to a wide variety of phenomena. Though the exact mechanism of this ability is unknown, his original spider-sense clearly has at least two aspects in addition to sensing potential or immediate danger:

• A psychological awareness of his surroundings, similar to the radar-sense of Daredevil. When he is temporarily blinded, Spider-Man learns to emulate this ability and navigate without his eyesight. Even under normal conditions, his spider-sense helps him navigate darkened rooms, instinctively avoiding obstacles or hazards, or potentially noisy or unstable floorboards, walls or ceilings that may betray his presence. In one comic, he is shown sensing how many fingers Mary Jane is holding up.
    • An ability to detect certain radio frequencies. Spider-Man's technical skill is such that he has designed spider-tracers that broadcast a signal detectable by his spider-sense.

So as you can see, it was never fully explained in the books. I think the way it worked in the Spider-Man movies is how it works in the books, but that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.