How does Spider-man work?

#1 Posted by Clantern (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone tell me the science of spiderman please?

i dont understand, like when he shoots web's from his wrist, is it an artery or vein? or a different thing all together? and why in the cartoon did he need cartridges?

Also if he can lift 25-tons can he mega-jump now? (i havn't been reading the comics lately) and can he run in super-speed?

Also if someone can explain the way Venom works would be great :D

#2 Posted by Conda (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Clantern says:

"Can someone tell me the science of spiderman please? i dont understand, like when he shoots web's from his wrist, is it an artery or vein? or a different thing all together? and why in the cartoon did he need cartridges? Also if he can lift 25-tons can he mega-jump now? (i havn't been reading the comics lately) and can he run in super-speed? Also if someone can explain the way Venom works would be great :D"

I'm confused too. Does he have like a machine that shoots out the webs or is that one of his superhuman powers.

#3 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

he use to use a machine to make webs but after avengers dissamble he was turn into an actual giant spider but then that spider dies and he poped out of it with the abilite to create webs him self

as for the jumping i think so

as for venom the symbiote was in contact with spiderman it learned everything about him and his spider sense he found a way to block the spider sense that only the venom,carnage,toxin and the rest of venoms children

#4 Posted by crazy spidey (3489 posts) - - Show Bio

k, he invented a machine that wen he presses a button in his palm, webbing comes out, not too complicated and he does need cartridges (I'm talkingabout the orignal not the Civil war one) he can run kinda fast, but not as of it was a super power, he can jump high (issue number 1), and he can lift 25tons cause he has the proportionate strenght of a spider. Thats about it, but it funny cause Spider-man has the only superpowers that have been proven 'possible', through science

#5 Posted by Clantern (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Ronny says:

"yeah he created special web shooters to allow him fast inner city travel and fighting capabilities. his climbing power allows him to secrete a chemical that lets him climb walls. it can sink thorough clothing explaining why he can use it through the gloves in his costume. he also has enhanced senses and a radar sense and enhanced strength."

Thanks big help, but can you include more info please, like the super speed thing, and can he mega jump, also have you been reading the comics lately? i know i havn't.

#6 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

for the super speed thing he is as fast as a car i think

#7 Posted by Clantern (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks all, it was just playing on my mind recently and i needed to find out, i would offer the same help if any one wanted to know about GL ;)

Anyway thanks for posting (Y)

#8 Posted by SYMBIOTE9200 (440 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree.spiders have "super strength",and in the place of a human they would have super strength.as for the organic web,i always thought they adapted it from the movies(if something else happened please tell me).high jump comes from the mixed jumping spider dna in the radioactive spider.super speed comes from the spider sense.he detect more things so that he can get around them faster

#9 Posted by batfan1939 (362 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man was bitten by a spider (formerly radioactive, now genetically altered, possibly magical -- don't ask.) that transfered its powers to him. He can leap up to three stories straight upwards from a standing position. He's supposed to be around 40 times faster than a human (fast enough to dodge bullets point-blank). He can lift somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 tons (its been adjusted a couple times by legitimate plotlines, and to account for his aging). He has perfect equilibrium and superhuman flexibility. He has a spider-sense that precognitively warns him of danger. He can sprint up to about 30 mph -- but uses his webs to swing around as he can do something like 120 mph on those. 90% of the time, his webs are a device he built that's basically superstrong silly string (a whole cartridge is supposed to hold somthing like 20+ tons of weight, and it is regularly used to temporarily restrain characters stronger than Spidey).This webbing disintegrates after about 1 - 4 hours. He has a bracelet for storing multiple cartridges (abou six, I'd guess), a palm trigger (pressure-sensitive), and extra cartridges stored in his belt. This is important, as the firing mechanism on his web-shooters can be damaged or jammed, the webbing can burn, explode, be ruined (by water, for example), etc. and -- most often -- he can run out of web fluid (his belt can also be -- and has been -- damaged or lost). The film and Ultimate Spider-Mans have organic web fluid that they send from their wrist via spinnerettes (or something similar) in their wrists. They simply apply pressure to the gland (or whatever it is) and are strong enough to fire it over great distances. This has been given (very rarely) and taken away from the "classic" Earth 616 Spidey on occasion (Earth 616 is the "main" Marvel universe). Spider-Man can also cling to walls. He does this on the quantum level, and can cling to almost any surface (save those designed to prevent it). In the movie, he clung to walls by extending hairs found on his hands -- this is scientifically sound, as geckos use a similar method to cling to things in real life, and many insects do use claws/hairs to cling to surfaces (spiders use a kind of glue, if I remember correctly). In the comics, Spidey can cling to any surface with any part of his body. This is part of the reason he wears such an unprotective skintight outfit -- the clinging ability can only work through very thin material (his boots are supposed to be like moccasins or something, and he has to take off his tennis shoes before wall-crawling if he's out of costume). Spider-Man also has superhuman healing and endurance, though nowhere near the level of Superman, Hulk, or -- especially -- Wolverine. He can heal broken bones in a few hours, and recover from body-cast condition in several days (a week at most). It also takes a lot more to harm him, and he has taken hits from the Hulk (though not very well). Spider-Man also has a very unpredictable, self-taught ranged fighting style using acrobatics, webbs, and speed-blitzes seamlessly over a large area (you almost never see him go hand-to-hand in a small alley or similar). He's also had brief formal training by Wolverine and Captain America.

Venom is not one person, but two beings -- a human host and an alien symbiote [a symbiote is basically a parasite that offers some benefit to its host/victim -- in real life, none of these are known to be alien ;-)]. Venom has all of Spider-Man's powers as a result of bonding with him. In fact, he was the first person it bonded with. Venom's storyline in Spider-Man 3 was fairly accurate, save for two major details:

1) The symbiote did not originally enhance Spiderman's powers, though it did make him more aggressive (the reason that Spidey got rid of it). This has since been retconned ("retroactive continuity" -- a present event changing a past one. In comics, it's when a writer has a character or story say or do somthing that condradicts what was peviously established -- for example, in the 1950's, Batman found his parents. In the 1990's, this was retconned by DC so that he didn't.) to match the adaptations (all of them) where it does enhance his abilities. When Spider-Man picked it up, he started wearing it because he mistook it for a telepathically-controlled costume. Once he realized what it was (and what it was doing to him), he tried to remove it (nearly killing him). He failed, but the symbiote had been "connected" to Spider-Man long enough to pity him, and leave anyway. It also copied his powers and memories unto itself.

2) In the comics, Eddie Brock was a weightlifter. He also hated Spider-Man. The reason the symbiote needs its host is that it feeds off of their adrenaline (why this makes them more aggressive, and not less, is beyond me). Needless to say, Brock was full of adrenaline. He actually went around to churches all around the city to pray that God kill Spider-Man (in the movie, it only showed one church). The symbiote was attracted to Brock, and is actually intelligent (if not sentient), and so it overheard Brock's situation, and dropped onto him, explained its own situation, and it and Brock became Venom. Originally, Venom was faster, more powerful, etc. than Spidey because of Brock's weight training (Spidey's powers are technically proportional, meaning things like "he can lift 30 times his own weight." Venom is about 4 times faster, stronger, etc. than Spidey), and the Symbiote's own powers allowed it to use itself to replicate Spider-Man's webbing (the symbiote itself can shape-shift, though the host cannot -- this allowed Spider-man to hide it under/as his normal clothes when not needed, and regenerate it when it was damaged. This is the primary reason he traded in his red-and-blue costume for the symbiote at first). This has since been retconned to the suit inherently enhancing the wearer's strength, and further enhancing someone "post-Spidey." Venom can do everything that Spider-Man can, but better, with one exception: his spider-sense is "diminished" compared to Spidey's. This comes with the silver lining (for Venom) that, since Spidey was connected to the symbiote for so long (a couple of weeks or months, if I remember correctly), Spidey's spider-sense doesn't recognize Venom as a threat, and thus doesn't warn Spider-Man of Venom's attacks. The only other things of note is that Eddie Brock is no longer Venom (unless it's changed since I last checked), Mac Gargan (formerly the Scorpion) is; and Venom does have a kryptonite-style weakness: he's extremely vulnerable to energy attacks, specifically heat and sound. This is a weakness inherent to the symbiote as a species, and means that Spider-Man has two major weapons against him in any fight. In the movie, they showed the symbiote being affected by sound when Spider-Man was in the bell tower (that scene is taken from the comics), and when he uses the pipes at the end to weaken the symbiote. The weakness to fire is implied when the symbiote is finally killed in the explosion. Hopefully this explains what you wanted to know.

#10 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy necro, Batfan!

#11 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@batfan1939 said:

Spider-Man was bitten by a spider (formerly radioactive, now genetically altered, possibly magical -- don't ask.) that transfered its powers to him. He can leap up to three stories straight upwards from a standing position. He's supposed to be around 40 times faster than a human (fast enough to dodge bullets point-blank). He can lift somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 tons (its been adjusted a couple times by legitimate plotlines, and to account for his aging). He has perfect equilibrium and superhuman flexibility. He has a spider-sense that precognitively warns him of danger. He can sprint up to about 30 mph -- but uses his webs to swing around as he can do something like 120 mph on those. 90% of the time, his webs are a device he built that's basically superstrong silly string (a whole cartridge is supposed to hold somthing like 20+ tons of weight, and it is regularly used to temporarily restrain characters stronger than Spidey).This webbing disintegrates after about 1 - 4 hours. He has a bracelet for storing multiple cartridges (abou six, I'd guess), a palm trigger (pressure-sensitive), and extra cartridges stored in his belt. This is important, as the firing mechanism on his web-shooters can be damaged or jammed, the webbing can burn, explode, be ruined (by water, for example), etc. and -- most often -- he can run out of web fluid (his belt can also be -- and has been -- damaged or lost). The film and Ultimate Spider-Mans have organic web fluid that they send from their wrist via spinnerettes (or something similar) in their wrists. They simply apply pressure to the gland (or whatever it is) and are strong enough to fire it over great distances. This has been given (very rarely) and taken away from the "classic" Earth 616 Spidey on occasion (Earth 616 is the "main" Marvel universe). Spider-Man can also cling to walls. He does this on the quantum level, and can cling to almost any surface (save those designed to prevent it). In the movie, he clung to walls by extending hairs found on his hands -- this is scientifically sound, as geckos use a similar method to cling to things in real life, and many insects do use claws/hairs to cling to surfaces (spiders use a kind of glue, if I remember correctly). In the comics, Spidey can cling to any surface with any part of his body. This is part of the reason he wears such an unprotective skintight outfit -- the clinging ability can only work through very thin material (his boots are supposed to be like moccasins or something, and he has to take off his tennis shoes before wall-crawling if he's out of costume). Spider-Man also has superhuman healing and endurance, though nowhere near the level of Superman, Hulk, or -- especially -- Wolverine. He can heal broken bones in a few hours, and recover from body-cast condition in several days (a week at most). It also takes a lot more to harm him, and he has taken hits from the Hulk (though not very well). Spider-Man also has a very unpredictable, self-taught ranged fighting style using acrobatics, webbs, and speed-blitzes seamlessly over a large area (you almost never see him go hand-to-hand in a small alley or similar). He's also had brief formal training by Wolverine and Captain America.

Venom is not one person, but two beings -- a human host and an alien symbiote [a symbiote is basically a parasite that offers some benefit to its host/victim -- in real life, none of these are known to be alien ;-)]. Venom has all of Spider-Man's powers as a result of bonding with him. In fact, he was the first person it bonded with. Venom's storyline in Spider-Man 3 was fairly accurate, save for two major details:

1) The symbiote did not originally enhance Spiderman's powers, though it did make him more aggressive (the reason that Spidey got rid of it). This has since been retconned ("retroactive continuity" -- a present event changing a past one. In comics, it's when a writer has a character or story say or do somthing that condradicts what was peviously established -- for example, in the 1950's, Batman found his parents. In the 1990's, this was retconned by DC so that he didn't.) to match the adaptations (all of them) where it does enhance his abilities. When Spider-Man picked it up, he started wearing it because he mistook it for a telepathically-controlled costume. Once he realized what it was (and what it was doing to him), he tried to remove it (nearly killing him). He failed, but the symbiote had been "connected" to Spider-Man long enough to pity him, and leave anyway. It also copied his powers and memories unto itself.

2) In the comics, Eddie Brock was a weightlifter. He also hated Spider-Man. The reason the symbiote needs its host is that it feeds off of their adrenaline (why this makes them more aggressive, and not less, is beyond me). Needless to say, Brock was full of adrenaline. He actually went around to churches all around the city to pray that God kill Spider-Man (in the movie, it only showed one church). The symbiote was attracted to Brock, and is actually intelligent (if not sentient), and so it overheard Brock's situation, and dropped onto him, explained its own situation, and it and Brock became Venom. Originally, Venom was faster, more powerful, etc. than Spidey because of Brock's weight training (Spidey's powers are technically proportional, meaning things like "he can lift 30 times his own weight." Venom is about 4 times faster, stronger, etc. than Spidey), and the Symbiote's own powers allowed it to use itself to replicate Spider-Man's webbing (the symbiote itself can shape-shift, though the host cannot -- this allowed Spider-man to hide it under/as his normal clothes when not needed, and regenerate it when it was damaged. This is the primary reason he traded in his red-and-blue costume for the symbiote at first). This has since been retconned to the suit inherently enhancing the wearer's strength, and further enhancing someone "post-Spidey." Venom can do everything that Spider-Man can, but better, with one exception: his spider-sense is "diminished" compared to Spidey's. This comes with the silver lining (for Venom) that, since Spidey was connected to the symbiote for so long (a couple of weeks or months, if I remember correctly), Spidey's spider-sense doesn't recognize Venom as a threat, and thus doesn't warn Spider-Man of Venom's attacks. The only other things of note is that Eddie Brock is no longer Venom (unless it's changed since I last checked), Mac Gargan (formerly the Scorpion) is; and Venom does have a kryptonite-style weakness: he's extremely vulnerable to energy attacks, specifically heat and sound. This is a weakness inherent to the symbiote as a species, and means that Spider-Man has two major weapons against him in any fight. In the movie, they showed the symbiote being affected by sound when Spider-Man was in the bell tower (that scene is taken from the comics), and when he uses the pipes at the end to weaken the symbiote. The weakness to fire is implied when the symbiote is finally killed in the explosion. Hopefully this explains what you wanted to know.

Whoa... consider this a personal achievement. Holy crap dude! Well done!

#12 Posted by batfan1939 (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins: Thanks.

#13 Posted by NX (307 posts) - - Show Bio

truthfully its hard to say. all I know is spidermans real smart.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.