How did you first "meet" Spider-Man?

• 63 results
#1 Posted by clonesaga2099 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously.

For me: My first exposure to the webhead was Spider-Man (2000) on the Playstation 1. Prior to that, I didn't know anything about Spider-Man or comics in general, but the game got me really interested. Spider-Man was cool and confident, and seemed like he was having fun while he saved the day. From then on, I wanted to learn more about Spidey and his life, so I jumped into the comics at the clone saga.

So how did you all get into Spider-Man comics, and what was your jumping on point?

#2 Edited by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard by a friend of mine that Peter Parker had been replaced by dock ock and I had never read a comic, ever before, and I thought this is so stupid, but it sounds awesome, so I started reading older of Spidey's comics and I'm angry that Peter isn't back yet.

#3 Posted by Teerack (5418 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was like 4 I found an old pin with Spider-man on it and asked my mom who it was and she said Spider-man, and then after that I started getting Spider-man toys and stuff but didn't really know too much about him until a few months later when Spider-Man (1994 TV series) came out.

#4 Edited by nintendork666 (284 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

The animated series from the 90's.

My gateway into characters like Batman, Superman, X-Men, and members of the Justice League as well. Damn cartoons were the best 90's.

#6 Posted by Strider92 (16154 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was the animated series in the 90's. I remember my grandmother also bought me Spider-man comics back in the 90's but I honestly can't remember whether it was the comics or the series I saw first.

#7 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I've always known him since I was a kid - I can't really put a finger on when. As a kid, the three main superheroes to me were Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. They were just pop culture characters that everyone knew.

It could've been from merchandise that I had as a kid - shirts or toys, that sort of stuff. But other major influences include the 90s animated series, and the original PC game. But my full appreciation of Spider-Man didn't come around until I found the first five Essential volumes of the Lee-Ditko run in my school library.

I still have great memories of reading those thick black-and-white books, following Spidey as he jumped from one iconic adventure to the next. It thrilled me as a kid. His fight with Doc Ock, the death of Gwen Stacy, the Sinister Six. Twas a magical time.

#8 Posted by XIIXIIX (57 posts) - - Show Bio

the old STAS show was i think the first time i saw spidey...ahh i love comics

#9 Posted by Skyfire (708 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure exactly when I first heard of him, but I know it was the first film that sparked my interest in his comics, and later the rest of the Marvel universe.

#10 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@clonesaga2099 said:

For me: My first exposure to the webhead was Spider-Man (2000) on the Playstation 1.....I wanted to learn more about Spidey and his life, so I jumped into the comics at the clone saga.

Does not compute.

Fot me it was the 90's animated series. However I first started reading comics around early 00s.

#12 Posted by w0nd (2935 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a child I use to watch Muppet babies, at the end of the ep there was a logo with a 3d render of the web head on it. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever.

I am actually surprised I found it considering this was in 1989 hah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrible2z/3874643117/in/faves-23617135@N08/

when the 90's animated version came out i watched that, but it wasn't until i took control of him in the marvel super heroes arcade game that he became my fave super hero.

#13 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio

For me I was 2 and I saw one of those "Spider-man Classics" by Toy-Biz on the shelf. Started watching the 90's show after that, and the Rami movies, and I was hooked. Started reading comics over the next few years and became very familiar with the character and most of his background.

#14 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The 90s animated series

#15 Posted by VeganDiet (985 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Adam Troy Castro's amazing book: Spider-man: Secret of The Sinister Six.

Anyone who hasn't read it should pick it up if they can. That series is in my top 5 favorite Spider-man stories of all time.

#16 Posted by PunyParker (8999 posts) - - Show Bio

1996 TV-series.

#17 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (677 posts) - - Show Bio

the 90s cartoon.

#18 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

2002 movie and the Ultimate comic series.

#19 Edited by JimPicken (11 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was just a wee little lad I was taking a vacation to New York with my Dad, We were in the Hilton and Some dude left a suitcase in the lobby, I checked through it and found an Issue of The Amazing Spider-man. I became an Instant fan, I bought action figures, clothing, movies and more. It was an amazing relationship. I then started to read comic books in 2010 with Spider-man: Noir, really interested I started reading the amazing spider-man and I'm currently reading Superior/Avenging Spider-man, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers...but Mostly Superior Spider-man!

Plus my current pair of shoes are these!
<--------------

#20 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember, I go way back with Spider-man. Like 3 years old I suppose. He used to be my favorite until I found being a nerdy guy less appealing and decied to follow the dark knight. Story of my life.

#21 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Black_Claw (2919 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I was first exposed to him by seeing an episode of the old 90's show, but I wouldn't fully get to know Spider-Man until I saw the first live action movie.

#23 Posted by consolemaster001 (4983 posts) - - Show Bio

I've known spidey since birth....no joke, my cousins got me a spider-man plush toy on the day of my birth !

#24 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really remember... I think first time I heard about him was, when kids were talking about him at kindergarten. First time I really saw him was the first Spider-man (2002) movie.

The first Spidey comic I read was Amazing Spider-man #639, I guess? But then I didn't liked it, lol.

#25 Posted by muhabba (293 posts) - - Show Bio

First was a coloring book at the doctors office and then I got my first Spider-Man comic in Marvel Tales Feat. Spider-Man Jan 1987. From there I started collection Amazing Spider-Man and finding back issues of Marvel Tales.

#26 Posted by WebHead32 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

My first exposure was when my older brother had a weird spider-man on a motorcycle toy that he would constantly play with and refused to share with me. That, and the animated series in the 90's.

#27 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11147 posts) - - Show Bio

Oof..let's see...like most people, I grew up watching the cartoons throughout the 90's. My parents also bought bought me toys for him as a child and I think a plush doll as a baby. I remember having a regular Spider-Man figure and the same version of the toy but instead of red on the suit, it was silver. So I used to pretend that was "Super Spider-Man." Always loved Spidey and Parker. Might be because we share the same first name. Only started reading his comics in early 2012 though, but have been reading old stories ever since as well so I can live through his history instead of just reading a synopsis of it.

This is the closest thing I could find to the Silver Spider-Man (it might even be it, it's been so long since I've seen it) http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/9/3/9/7/webimg/4617392.jpg

Was this ever a Spidey suit or was it just for toys?

#28 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman VHS from my pops

#29 Edited by Spidermeat101 (260 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was 3,I saw a Spiderman poster my dad brought.I asked my dad who he was.He said Spiderman.A few later by the time I was 6, I saw Spider Man comic he had.Since I was curious,I looked into it,I liked it.From then on,I asked for Spider-Man toys,blankets,and later on comics.

#30 Posted by akbogert (3201 posts) - - Show Bio

It may actually have been the ps1 games for me too...I'd almost forgotten (despite how great they are). But I'm pretty sure I played those before I ever picked up a Spidey comic (when I did, it was Ultimate Spider-Man 1).

#31 Posted by clonesaga2099 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: That was a real Spider-suit. It's called the Spider-Armor, which made him completely bullet proof. He only got to wear it once though, it got melted by acid if I remember correctly. It also appeared in the PS1 game as a power-up to give you more health. It was a cool suit, just a shame it didn't appear more.

#32 Edited by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11147 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by SmashBrawler (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really remember where I first met Spider-Man. I mean, the character's always been everywhere, so it's a little hard to tell where I first saw him. I do remember the 90's animated series, the PS1 games and other stuff, but I'm not sure if that's where I first met him. The first Spider-Man comic book I ever bought (and where I started to regularly read Spider-Man) was Amazing Spider-Man #28.

#35 Edited by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: Ya it is my 3nd favorite Spidey costume right after the red and blue, and the symbiote. Best thing about Shattered Dimensions you could use the it for Spidey 2099.

#36 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

The cartoon

#37 Posted by MrArrogant (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the first movie in as a kid in the cinema (I still remember that day very clearly), after checking out the X-men films and really getting into Marvel movies my Dad bought me a copy of "Astonishing Spider-Man #140 (a UK reprint containing the first two parts of Mark Millar's Venomous). From there I was hooked.

#38 Posted by Reaperzero420 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

i was kid like about 4 n i watch on the tv about spiderman movie classic in 80's part1 n 2 smile i am glad watch it good show

#39 Posted by PunyParker (8999 posts) - - Show Bio

"He walked to me and siad,you're mah guy on the street,son.....now keep walking.."....

-Jamie Foxx!

#40 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

The early 90's cartoon.

But the most impactful? Tobey Maguire in Spider-man. Still the best.

#41 Edited by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really sure when I first learned about Spider-Man, but I got into the comics with the very beginning!

Got into the more recent comics at - of all places - ASM 700. LOL. I have since read a lot of the preceeding issues...

#42 Posted by PunyParker (8999 posts) - - Show Bio

@impy: Ah....the year 2003....when accually Spider-Man comics were good....

#43 Edited by kostisfire (115 posts) - - Show Bio

When i was younger Jetix or Fox kids or whatever it was called used to air the 90s Spidey series. A couple of year later i picked up Ultimate Spider man and then got into the comic book world in general.

#44 Edited by Xwraith (15618 posts) - - Show Bio

The 90s action figure line... I wasn't even aware of the cartoon until later.

#45 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

The 90s cartoon series. That show, Batman TAS, and X-Men TAS are what got me interested in comics in the first place. Cartoons were awesome back then...

#46 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I saw the first movie in 2001 and I got interested.So I bought a book and then started watching the animated series from the 90's.

#47 Posted by TheTrollDance (167 posts) - - Show Bio

90's show, Spider-Man 2000, Maximum Carnage for the SNES & Spider-Man: The Movie were my first encounters with Spidey. I believe that the first Spidey story I've read was Maximum Carnage.

#48 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

90s cartoon series. After that I started getting my hands on any toy, backpack, etc that was Spidey related. Didn't actually read a comic from him until a few years ago though.

#49 Posted by HumanRocket (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

The 90s cartoon. It has IMO the best intro of any cartoon.

#50 Posted by austinmrkieross (6 posts) - - Show Bio

the 90`s started my manly love for peter parker

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.