Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How come making a fist doesn't trigger web fluid?

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Spider-man's web fluid trigger is right in his palm, so that when he curls his fingers back in the classic Spidey hand pose he can swing from webs, etc. But what about when he punches people? Wouldn't curling his fingers back still trigger it? How come it doesn't?

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I doubt any of the creators or writers of Spider-Man have really ever bothered to explain why that is. But my guess would either be due to the postiion of his writs (i.e. wrists in for firsts, wrists out for web shooting) or that when he does the web hands he extends his fingers father down his hand than he would while making a fist.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nappystr8: That's what I was thinking, but from these panels it seems pretty close to the upper part of his palm. I just realized this also shows a "safety catch." What part of the button is that? It looks like the Palm Release Button and the Safety Catch are the same thing!

Panels from Amazing Spider-man #2
    Panels from Amazing Spider-man #2

jourpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I remember read the full explanation on essential spiderman vol 4 tpb back then

t3hLomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always assumed that pulling back his wrist "unlocked" the shooters allowing him to shoot the web-fluid.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By w0nd

@nappystr8 said:

I doubt any of the creators or writers of Spider-Man have really ever bothered to explain why that is. But my guess would either be due to the postiion of his writs (i.e. wrists in for firsts, wrists out for web shooting) or that when he does the web hands he extends his fingers father down his hand than he would while making a fist.

they even went over this in the 90's cartoons, it is pressure sensitive only those two fingers can cause the EXACT amount needed. I am still sure a fist could make the same depending on how much or how little you squeezed but it's for the sake of comics

Actually yes I found it. 04:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AncyC_sag7o

4:41

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the replies!

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Wow nice thread. Can't believe I never asked myself that kind of question. I've always found it crazy the way Spidey shoots his webs because personally it would be SO hard for me to get used to doing those hand movements mid-combat, geez.

thanks Onemoreposter for the link

Interesting, hmm well now I know...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.