How can Spidey stick to walls through his boots and gloves?

#1 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I have thought of this time and time again, how can spidey's adhesive like skin (or whatever the origin story suggests) stick to walls through the soles of his boots and the fabric of his gloves? 
Beats me.

#2 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability works through thin layers of clothe, such as the fabric of his costume, but not through materials such as the soles of shoes. When Peter Parker needs to crawl without changing into the costume, he removes his shoes first.

#3 Edited by Strider92 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow: Unlike in the movies comic version Spider-man's ability to stick to walls is not physical (like the little hair things shown in SM:1). In the comics it works by electrostatic force that adheres him to any surface. So as long as the material he's wearing isn't to thick for the static force to pass through he can use this ability to stick to anything.

This is not just limited to his hands and feet any part of his body can stick to walls be it his back, chest or head. Its just the concentration is stronger in his hands/feet.

#4 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@TheTimShow: Unlike in the movies comic version Spider-man's ability to stick to walls is not physical (like the little hair things shown in SM:1). In the comics it works by electrostatic force that adheres him to any surface. So as long as the material he's wearing isn't to thick for the static force to pass through he can use this ability to stick to anything.

This is not just limited to his hands and feet any part of his body can stick to walls be it his back, chest or head. Its just the concentration is stronger in his hands/feet.

Good explanation. Movie confuses some people with the hairs. I guess it was hard to show visually in a movie.

#5 Posted by Strider92 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio

@cjbostick81: I remember watching the Spider-man movie and for a moment I doubted what i read in the comics lol. So yes its rather confusing.

#6 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: I just hope that the new movie takes a new approach to it. Extremely happy he will have web shooters!

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio

@cjbostick81: From the trailers i've seen of it thus far the film actually has me quite excited about it which for me is unusual as I was even a little apprehensive about the Avengers movie. So it better not let me down!

#8 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Same here. I don't mind some of the slight changes in origin story, but when start messing with who Spider-Man Spider-Man and his powers, like in the first movie, that's when I get ticked off.

#9 Edited by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like the predictability of the old Spider-man movies: You always knew in the end of all 3 the villain would grab Mary Jane and use her as bait while Spider-man always gets his suit torn up and yells "Hold on Mary Jane!" while she screams the whole time. Hopefully the new movie and it's sequels don't follow the same "Hold on Gwen! My Suit is torn!" for multiple movies.

#10 Posted by JigglyJiggletowns (54 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the shoes are a factor... For a guy who can bench buses with one hand and probably crush bowling balls with his abdominals, I'm pretty sure that he could support himself simply on his fingertips.

#11 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@JigglyJiggletowns: yes, but when I said shoes I meant sometimes you see him dashing up walls or even standing on the wall.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Huh. I didn't know that.

#13 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow said:

I didn't like the predictability of the old Spider-man movies: You always knew in the end of all 3 the villain would grab Mary Jane and use her as bait while Spider-man always gets his suit torn up and yells "Hold on Mary Jane!" while she screams the whole time. Hopefully the new movie and it's sequels don't follow the same "Hold on Gwen! My Suit is torn!" for multiple movies.

Well the Amazing Spider-Man game, which I like and put on my top games of 2012, has a lot of Spidey's suit getting torn up as you take damage though Gwen doesn't scream a lot(Hardly ever actually).

#14 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I REALLY wanted to get that game, but money's kind of tight right now. Would you say it rivals Arkham City?

#15 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I REALLY wanted to get that game, but money's kind of tight right now. Would you say it rivals Arkham City?

I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. The story is really engaging. The detail on Spidey's suit as it gets ripped and torn, as well as the scratches and cuts in his skin, is wonderfully done. The web swinging takes some getting used to sense the webs don't stick to buildings, but the sheer rush of it more than makes up for it as far as I'm concerned. The last boss fight is a little lackluster it's still an overall enjoyable game. It doesn't rival Arkham City, but it is a huge step in the right direction as far as Spider-Man games go.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.