Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17245 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How about a MAX series for Spidey

PATTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By PATTX

It can be a good story set in the main universe. I don't mean making a bloodier version of Spidey...just a more mature story. Maybe we see his darker side too.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Delphic

@PATTX: I would think a MAX Spider-man would be difficult to do, because of how the character usually portrays himself with the whole "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man", and "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility." He's sort of designed to be moral and sacrificing.

Now if a Max series was done with Spider-man it would involve some sexual content probably, and it would involve a darker criminal aspect. It would involve Spider-man getting personal. Spider-man normally busts Bank Robbers, or Super-villains with some form of genocide on the mind. I've rarely ever seen Spider-man deal with a murder of a small child or a rape in progress. Something brutal that maybe Peter showed up too late to stop, and the end result made it personal for Spider-man.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

This could work with Spider-man 2099 as Miguel has a disposition of being a lot more brutal and some of his enemies (2099 Vulture was a cannibal) are more disturbing.

To make a good Spider-man series you don't really need to go in that direction you just have to look at the 90's TAS. That had some awesome storylines and the way Spider-man and his villains were portrayed was excellent.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Delphic

@Strider92 said:

This could work with Spider-man 2099 as Miguel has a disposition of being a lot more brutal and some of his enemies (2099 Vulture was a cannibal) are more disturbing.

To make a good Spider-man series you don't really need to go in that direction you just have to look at the 90's TAS. That had some awesome storylines and the way Spider-man and his villains were portrayed was excellent.

You could also do the same with NOIR Spider-Man

Spider-Man Noir
    Spider-Man Noir
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Strider1992

@Delphic: I did think of that first actually it's just what with Spider-man 2099 being more popular i'd guess it would have a better chance.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Delphic

@Strider92 said:

@Delphic: I did think of that first actually it's just what with Spider-man 2099 being more popular i'd guess it would have a better chance.

I've never read 2099, so I can't really comment on it. Another method they could use is just have a separate universe for MAX Spider-man. They did that with Nick Fury once:

No Caption Provided
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mewmdude77

@Delphic said:

@Strider92 said:

Spider-Man Noir
    Spider-Man Noir

Or maybe they could use Kaine? He is sort of the dark side of Spider-Man. Or better yet, more Flash Thompson Venom, but bloodier!

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Delphic

@mewmdude77 said:

@Delphic said:

@Strider92 said:

Spider-Man Noir
    Spider-Man Noir

Or maybe they could use Kaine? He is sort of the dark side of Spider-Man. Or better yet, more Flash Thompson Venom, but bloodier!

Well then it would be a Scarlet Spider MAX or a Venom MAX. Not a Spider-man MAX.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mewmdude77

@Delphic said:

@mewmdude77 said:

@Delphic said:

@Strider92 said:

Spider-Man Noir
    Spider-Man Noir

Well then it would be a Scarlet Spider MAX or a Venom MAX. Not a Spider-man MAX.

Well, it could be a seperate universe where one of them actually is Spider-man?

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Delphic

@mewmdude77 said:

@Delphic said:

@mewmdude77 said:

@Delphic said:

@Strider92 said:

Spider-Man Noir
    Spider-Man Noir

Well, it could be a seperate universe where one of them actually is Spider-man?

I suppose that could work.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By KenTheProfile

@PATTX: i think the answer lies in using carnage as the bad guy. really letting him go.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

No thanks. Max just ain't Spidey's bag

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By RoboShark

I thought about this last night reading Punisher Max.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By AngeTheDude

While not necessarily having to be a MAX title, I'd love to see Spidey go after a rapist or a serial killer. A REAL monster. Something that is a bit out of his comfort zone. The only thing is that he could easily beat up any rapist or serial killer. Either way, I'd love to see a more adult oriented Spider-Man story. Wolverine NEEDS a MAX book more than any other hero right now, though.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By X35

Oh god no.

Last time this happened, it was retconned that Peter lost his virginity to a sleazy cougar who he "loved" who took advantage of him when he was a wrestler.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

Mmmmmm nah.

I'd rather see Wolverine get one.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By AgeofHurricane

No.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Billy Batson

YES. DO IT ENNIS.
    BB

PATTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PATTX

@Delphic: That would be a good idea too but in the Fury/Punisher MAX their world is real (no powers etc..) so it would be a whole different version. I meant a story in the main universe.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is for kids. Batman can do something like this, but not kiddy pool Spider-Man.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is for kids. Batman can do something like this, but not kiddy pool Spider-Man.

Man, I'd be down for a Batman Max. Iron Man Max would also be great.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is a all ages title but still even at it's most serious and mature, comes of as a fake drama teen angst fanfiction. Spider-Man is better when he's focusing on youthful problems a young 20 something would have.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RabumAlal

Yes, not in the main universe though. Everyone would be all over stuff like canon/continuity and that would be problematic with a darker story.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By magnetic_eye

I would buy it in a flash. Long overdue and it must be written by a real professional writer, not a fan-fiction hack.

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah. I think characters such as Carnage and the Green Goblin would be excellent choices for Spider-Man to face in a MAX series. It'll be a perfect way to showcase the darker aspect of Spider-Man's villains and push Peter to his limits.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Set it when he was wearing his black costume and banging Black Cat

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riscrit said:

Hell yeah. I think characters such as Carnage and the Green Goblin would be excellent choices for Spider-Man to face in a MAX series. It'll be a perfect way to showcase the darker aspect of Spider-Man's villains and push Peter to his limits.

^^^^^ Yep Absolutely ^^^^^ and darker aspects for me doesn't necessarily mean grim-dark and gloomy, but rather a far more mature form of storytelling, with a slice of realism. These are things I miss terribly in Slott's crappy ASM.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riscrit: Hell yeah. I think characters such as Carnage and the Green Goblin would be excellent choices for Spider-Man to face in a MAX series. It'll be a perfect way to showcase the darker aspect of Spider-Man's villains and push Peter to his limits.

@magnetic_eye: ^^^^^ Yep Absolutely ^^^^^ and darker aspects for me doesn't necessarily mean grim-dark and gloomy, but rather a far more mature form of storytelling, with a slice of realism. These are things I miss terribly in Slott'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with both post very strongly. A Spider-Man Max series would definitely be cool and refreshing for the character. It would put Peter in uncharted territory, which would be very interesting to see. Also the notion that it couldn't work cause Spider-Man is aim and directed mostly at kids, very asinine. Peter/Spidey has delt with some hard and wicked stuff in the past. A Max series would only enhance that, while add other heavy elements and themes as well. It could really showcase not only the darker and more animalistic side or nature of Spider-Man's world and villains. But Peter himself.

He should definitively wear the black suit.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By magnetic_eye

@theheaven_guardian10 said:

@riscrit: Hell yeah. I think characters such as Carnage and the Green Goblin would be excellent choices for Spider-Man to face in a MAX series. It'll be a perfect way to showcase the darker aspect of Spider-Man's villains and push Peter to his limits.

@magnetic_eye: ^^^^^ Yep Absolutely ^^^^^ and darker aspects for me doesn't necessarily mean grim-dark and gloomy, but rather a far more mature form of storytelling, with a slice of realism. These are things I miss terribly in Slott'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with both post very strongly. A Spider-Man Max series would definitely be cool and refreshing for the character. It would put Peter in uncharted territory, which would be very interesting to see. Also the notion that it couldn't work cause Spider-Man is aim and directed mostly at kids, very asinine. Peter/Spidey has delt with some hard and wicked stuff in the past. A Max series would only enhance that, while add other heavy elements and themes as well. It could really showcase not only the darker and more animalistic side or nature of Spider-Man's world and villains. But Peter himself.

He should definitively wear the black suit.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

"Kraven's Last Hunt" by J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck is the perfect example of a well written and mature take on Spider-Man, something missing also since the JMS run. People who haven't read much Spider-Man or have only been brought up on cartoons don't realise that ASM Spider-Man was an adult in 40 years worth of comics, and across other titles in particular PPTSSM and WOS.

When trolls go on about Spidey being a hero only for kiddies, they're really just showing how clueless they are about the whole Spider-Man mythos.

The flagship title ASM should never have been tampered with by Quesada and Slott. It should have allowed to continue with it's natural progression with real professional writers, instead of the clusterf@#k OMD brought and the abysmal descent into the worst fan-fiction crap ever.

Grayhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If written properly, sure why not.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Kraven's Last Hunt" by J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck is the perfect example of a well written and mature take on Spider-Man, something missing also since the JMS run. People who haven't read much Spider-Man or have only been brought up on cartoons don't realise that ASM Spider-Man was an adult in 40 years worth of comics, and across other titles in particular PPTSSM and WOS.

When trolls go on about Spidey being a hero only for kiddies, they're really just showing how clueless they are about the whole Spider-Man mythos.

The flagship title ASM should never have been tampered with by Quesada and Slott. It should have allowed to continue with it's natural progression with real professional writers, instead of the clusterf@#k OMD brought and the abysmal descent into the worst fan-fiction crap ever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This In A Big Way

I think Spidey needs a Max type of series, especially now. It would definitely help bring some gravity and substance to the character. Cause like you said only uneducated trolls only think Spidey is for kids.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.