Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

help|| starting to read "the amazing spider-man"

spidercomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hello everyone!
    I love spider-man, and i'm a big fan of the movies and the series.
    I really want to start reading the comic books but I have one problem, I have no idea
    from where to start or how it works.
    so I really want help with 2 things:

• Until now I have read the amazing spider man the gauntlet vol. 1 about electro
      and sandman and I really loved it, so I wanted to know if this is a good start and if it is
      what should I read after finish the story arc.
    • If this is not a really good start from where sholud I start???

please comment bros!

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You have a few options. If you want a Spider-Man story that's more modern, start with Ultimate Spider-Man. I just bought one of the trade paperbacks, and it's quite an enjoyable read, even if it's not mainstream continuity. Also, you could start with the "Brand New Day" arc, which was an attempt at making Spider-Man more accessible to new readers. It's available in several trade paperbacks, and it's part of the mainstream continuity.

If you want to start reading Spider-Man's current run, which is Superior Spider-Man, then I suggest you pick up the "Dying Wish" trade paperback, and then go on to read Superior Spider-Man. I'm actually really enjoying Superior Spider-Man. It's a surprisingly good read.

spidercomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you!

But the gauntlet is a good start? Or should I read the brand new day first?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would consider getting the essential Spider-Man books and go from the start. If you want Peter Parker as Spider-Man you will not want to read Superior Spider-man. I based this on the fact that you want to read because of the movies which have Peter Parker as Spider-Man.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you should start with Big Time.

spidercomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would consider getting the essential Spider-Man books and go from the start. If you want Peter Parker as Spider-Man you will not want to read Superior Spider-man. I based this on the fact that you want to read because of the movies which have Peter Parker as Spider-Man.

you're absolutely right!
    I really love the movie and I most like spider-man as peter parker, so I prefer to read the comic about peter, but after I will done with the amazing spider man I will move to the next.
    the thing is that I don't really want to read from the start so that's why i'm asking this question.

about what is it the big time?
    is it before the brand new day or after it? and which issues are in this storyline?

and thank you all guys!

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

you're absolutely right!

I really love the movie and I most like spider-man as peter parker, so I prefer to read the comic about peter, but after I will done with the amazing spider man I will move to the next.

the thing is that I don't really want to read from the start so that's why i'm asking this question.

@thetrolldance said:

about what is it the big time?

is it before the brand new day or after it? and which issues are in this storyline?

and thank you all guys!

Big Time begins at Amazing Spider-Man 648, which takes place after Brand New Day. I'd recommend getting the Ultimate Collection: http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Big-Time-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785162178

From Amazon's description:

Peter Parker has finally hit the Big Time. He's a full-fledged Avenger, he just landed a high-paying science job, and he has an amazing new girlfriend. But big-time living means big-time pressure! When the Hobgoblin returns, Spidey will need a slick new edge to defeat him. And when the Scorpion targets J. Jonah Jameson and his loved ones, Spider-Man must grapple with matters of life and death in a moving and compelling tale. Then, Spidey is asked to join the FF, adding even more to his already overful plate. Peter has never been one to shirk his responsibility, but will all his new commitments prove too much to handle? Plus: a new and strangely familiar Venom makes his debut!

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have a couple of the Essential Spider-Man books, and they are really a great value. They may be in black and white, but the stories are still intact. If you want them in color, you'll have to read the Masterworks volumes, which include fewer issues and are more expensive. Essential Spider-Man is honestly the better value. Without the Essential Spider-Man books, I wouldn't have gotten to read the Death of Gwen Stacy, which is still my favorite Spider-Man story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.