Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Help my get into spiderman, I have explained as best I can.

peteed1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watched the old cartoons in the 90's on Cheese TV in Australia (Spider-Man: The Animated Series I think) with madame web and the man with one arm who turned into a lizard and I went to the comic book store and got a couple and i'm totally bloody lost -_-

Peter Parker apparently used to be Doc Ock and he got a girlfriend or lover or something while in Peter's body and the story starts off in their unit where they live and there is this random girl who has Spiderman powers but this totally confuses me since its talking about stuff I have never read.

Thing is I don't want to go back to the very first comic because to me the art is just ugh. First few frames Peter looks like an old man. But then again on the flip side i want to read about him getting his powers but since they never reboot and start over i'm thinking i'm kinda skrewed.

Wish they would restart like this so that new readers can start out easier. I much prefer Marvel characters but Marvel comics are just way too complex to work out how to start out. Been trying on and off to work out what hero to read and where to start for a few years.

Really i'm not sure if spiderman is the best hero to get started with or who is. I thought about the X-Men since they were my favourite 90's cartoon but that has way too many teams with different series side by side and the 90's cartton team isn't in the same comics together. Add to that my being Australian and only a year or 2 ago learning Marvel had more than the X-Men, Hulk, Spiderman and Ironman as heroes because none of the others really get mentioned or have a TV series.

So yeah my choice of hero to read is mainly because I don't know what hero I would like out of the line up. Rogue and Gambit from X-Men I loved in the series how they were flirting nad all that and I also liked Jubilee. I like what i've seen of deadpool too. Always liked Nightcrawler as well. Not sure what other heroes I might like because I like these ones...

So would love help with:

1. how to on getting started with spiderman atm.

2. Suggestions for who would be the best character to read as the first comics I read by Marvel (like maybe the main character all the world is based around if there is one?)

3. Suggestions for who I might like given the other ones I did like and suggest how to get into those.

Any and all help with this confusion is appreciated.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for your other questions which you might want to ask in the marvel forum or general forum. You really dont need to read the older stories to start most series. all you have to do is start at the beginning of an author's run. Recently Marvel started Marvel Now which renumbered many of their series and started new stories with new authors. Some of my favorites are Thor God of Thunder, Daredevil, All New X-Men, Ms. Marvel, and Hawkeye.

peteed1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how much are you willing to read? If you are willing to read a fair amount and dont want to read old comics I'd recommend issues 471-700, plus all of Superior Spider-Man, and the new Amazing Spider-Man series that started.

Amazing Spider-Man 471-700 list

Superior Spider-Man list

New Amazing Spider-Man list

You can purchase Marvel Unlimited and read all of these issues. It's much cheaper than buying books.

Willing to read alot just not the really really old horrid art ones :) i'll check these out.

As for your other questions which you might want to ask in the marvel forum or general forum. You really dont need to read the older stories to start most series. all you have to do is start at the beginning of an author's run. Recently Marvel started Marvel Now which renumbered many of their series and started new stories with new authors. Some of my favorites are Thor God of Thunder, Daredevil, All New X-Men, Ms. Marvel, and Hawkeye.

Marvel NOW was where I tried starting from and the confusion of him being Doc Ock until recently in Marvel NOW was the confusion I had :)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Ultimate?

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What I've seen some people do is read his history on wikis, but only up until a certain point, then start reading the comics from there. It's less fun, but you may find it more entertaining than reading the really old comics.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with @averywetfrog suggestions. That's where you should start and if can keep up, then maybe from time to time you can search for other amazing story arcs, like The Other. Extra knowledge about The Other might help you better understand the current Spider-Verse arc and where it's leading to.

To understand The Other you'll need to read:

The Amazing Spider-Man #525-528

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1-4

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #19-22

But I recomend you only read these after you catch up with current events, and have some extra time on your hands.

Spiderfan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peteed1985 Hi. I suggest that you read from #546 to #700, then read all Superior Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man ( The new one) from the beginning to issue 10 (the latest right now)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.