Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Have we seen the last of MJ?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, One More Day retconned Peter and MJ's relationship, many fans (including myself) hated the retcon. With her no longer being Spidey's love interest she became a supporting character. But at the end of Superior Spider-Man she told Peter she no longer wished to be a part of his life in order to avoid the craziness knowing a superhero brings. Marvel gave us Renew Your Vows a mini series showing us a world where the retcon never happened, but despite rumors this this didn't reverse the retcon. So, do you think we've seen the last of MJ as an important character? Or do you think it's only a matter of time before Marvel relents and has the two get back together?

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RevivalMH

@william300: I think it really depends on how RYV is doing sales wise. Wasn't it at the top of the charts when RYV #1 came out? If so, it would be hard for Marvel to ignore the undeniable truth that it is indeed what fans want. Not to say they would actually give us back MJ but we can always dream...

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zarius

@william300: Alonzo said at San Diego Comicon MJ is returning, but will show up in an "unexpected place". Some fans speculate she will show up in Invincible Iron Man as Tony's girlfriend, though others doubt that will happen because it would fly in the face of what Mephistoverse MJ told Peter in Superior. If she were to date Stark, there's no justification for not dating Peter.

Other rumors are Annie from Renew Your Vows is carrying over from Secret Wars and MJ will be a single mother to her, with Annie possibly being the one that tries to put this version of her parents back together.

I don't buy into what "MJ" told "Peter" in Superior because everyone has been acting out-of-character since OMD. You don't know how much of that is them talking and how much of it is them influenced by chaos magic.

2017 is the 30th anniversary of the marriage, so it's entirely possible Marvel could do something then and address the Mephisto deal, but, again, we have to go back to Dan Slott's philosphy on the book, he aims to give fans what they "need" and not what they "want", and if we ever do get what we want, there is a monkeys paw price to that, so there's that. We may get closure to OMD, but the marriage could remain under lock and key. One thing I've learned over the years with this regime is that they can be as stubborn as they are stupid.

MJ is still Peter's loyal wife in the ongoing daily newspaper comics, so while the mainstream books occasionally neglect her, she hasn't exactly been away from the franchise for any particular length of time.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

She never should have been written out the wy she was, a another major reason Slott should go from the book.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She'll be back eventually

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She never should have been written out the wy she was, a another major reason Slott should go from the book.

can't blame slott for that. that was from joe quesaida or however you spell his name.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10 said:

can't blame slott for that. that was from joe quesaida or however you spell his name.

Dan is as much to blame as anybody, he has his own gripes against MJ, and has gone on record to say he always disliked the revelation that she always knew Peter's secret and that she should never have evolved from her party girl persona

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @christianrapper said:
    @theheaven_guardian10 said:

Dan is as much to blame as anybody, he has his own gripes against MJ, and has gone on record to say he always disliked the revelation that she always knew Peter's secret and that she should never have evolved from her party girl persona

Just another reason to not like Dan Slott. He goes on to talk about how much he loves Spider-Man, yet he also talks about how he doesn't like certain characters that play a major factor into his life so he finds a way to take them out of it. Hell, he's even taken Peter out of his own title with Superior Spider-Man.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully we have.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

Hopefully we have.

By "we" you mean you and a distinctly vocal minority.

Kindly do not speak for everyone here just because you don't personally like her. For the many who do care, she is a much beloved character and a vital part of the mythos.

Like I've said, she's still kicking about in other corners of the franchise very much acting the same as she's always been. You're never going to stop hearing about her at any juncture, and it's already been confirmed she'll be back in the mainstream universe in some way, so you're not getting your wish (thankfully)

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Yes I can Quesada might campaign One More Day, but Slott is the real culprit behind MJ leaving the way she did. Like @zarius said Slott has bashed her and her development, the longer he stays on the book the more harm he does to it.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: when I say "We" I am referring to the same "We" as the original poster uses in the topic sentence , Get of your high horse.

As I have already argued. Apart from Renew your vows, she does not appear in any other mainstream bit of spider-man continuity, and if she does she is a side character.

And please don't try to argue that MC2 and the news paper strip are mainstream,because both off them are not. There is at least 7 other bits of spider-man continuity that is known better and in most of them MJ is a side character.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zarius

Have we seen the last of MJ?

As of today's daily...Nope.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think you guys are blaming slott for stuff that happened before he even got here. after BND what was any writer supposed to do with mj. her whole purpose is to be a love interest to peter parker. it's called spiderman not Mary Jane Watson. if she isn't married or dating parker, she serves no purpose. she isn't a villain or a hero in her own right like the black cat.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zarius

@christianrapper said:

i think you guys are blaming slott for stuff that happened before he even got here. after BND what was any writer supposed to do with mj. her whole purpose is to be a love interest to peter parker. it's called spiderman not Mary Jane Watson. if she isn't married or dating parker, she serves no purpose. she isn't a villain or a hero in her own right like the black cat.

You have a pretty narrow view of what a hero is.

Anyone who can put up with the kind of world Peter experiences on a frequent basis and still find time to be his emotional and psychological tether, and is willing to mother and mentor his children (in Mayday and Annie's case) is a definite hero in people's eyes.

We can certainly blame Dan for everything he's done with MJ because he does'nt like her all that much and his own philosophy is he does'nt find MJ "fun" unless she's married or dating Peter. There is more to her than just being a love interest, but he was more willing to deconstruct and character assassinate her rather than do anything that kept her around in a positive light.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

It will only be a matter of time. MJ has been a cornerstone of the Spiderverse for so long that they can't leave her alone forever... no matter how many spider ladies they try to replace her with.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with you 100%

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need to be a love interest for the main character to matter in a book guys. Support cast is very important for any book.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need to be a love interest for the main character to matter in a book guys. Support cast is very important for any book.

what is she supposed to do if she isn't dating peter? are they supposed to make issues dealing with her model/acting career?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimishim12

@zarius said:
    @christianrapper said:

You have a pretty narrow view of what a hero is.

Anyone who can put up with the kind of world Peter experiences on a frequent basis and still find time to be his emotional and psychological tether, and is willing to mother and mentor his children (in Mayday and Annie's case) is a definite hero in people's eyes.

We can certainly blame Dan for everything he's done with MJ because he does'nt like her all that much and his own philosophy is he does'nt find MJ "fun" unless she's married or dating Peter. There is more to her than just being a love interest, but he was more willing to deconstruct and character assassinate her rather than do anything that kept her around in a positive light.

Still not getting it zar, Spidey is a comicbook series, not a novel or a drama thriller, for young people and Spider-Man comes first when focusing everything about the character while even as Peter Parker. Realism and emotional exploration comes second before Spider-Man's actual core basis of beating bad guys up, saving the day/world, and being fictionally rooted towards action premises and clichés. Mary Jane Watson will never be a fundamental to Spider-Man as a concept like Ben and May are. Nor will she provide as much use to the sheer action and fantastic versatility when defining a Spidey story about his struggles and his perserverance. MJ is sheer Plot Armor wrapped in a bland lois lane wannabe archetype and her emotional development with Peter is shallow and boring compared to Felicia's and Anna Marie.

Want a realistic series that plays more adult like in a less comicbook convention, read Watchmen or Daredevil.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

what is she supposed to do if she isn't dating peter? are they supposed to make issues dealing with her model/acting career?

You do know it is possible to have friends.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper said:
    @spider11211 said:

And that's precisely the role MJ had in the early part of the 80s when she came back, an occasional flirt under Stern, and then a devoted confidant under DeFalco and Micheline, until Peter proposed to her and helped her family out.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, once again it makes me question the views of some. I would guess that many with a different view have not read most of the Spider-man books. Could be wrong but I think people that have only read a small portion do not really understand the characters.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zarius

@spider11211 said:

I know, once again it makes me question the views of some. I would guess that many with a different view have not read most of the Spider-man books. Could be wrong but I think people that have only read a small portion do not really understand the characters.

Oh I think they've read enough books, it's just their perspective of the characters is coloured by their fantasies of what they prefer for the character as well as unfounded revisionist bias against certain characters because they perceive them to "hold Peter back", when chances are you could easily tell every story now with him married or still involved with those characters platonically also. Stories that can't function with a married or on-point versions of the characters tend to malfunction just as much because they follow history in an altered context and sometimes play about with it since they know they don't have a continuity filter anymore. I've seen Brevroot openly admit they don't pay that much attention, so long as they get from A to B (or in a lot of our cases A to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @spider11211 said:

Oh I think they've read enough books, it's just their perspective of the characters is coloured by their fantasies of what they prefer for the character as well as unfounded revisionist bias against certain characters because they perceive them to "hold Peter back", when chances are you could easily tell every story now with him married or still involved with those characters platonically also. Stories that can't function with a married or on-point versions of the characters tend to malfunction just as much because they follow history in an altered context and sometimes play about with it since they know they don't have a continuity filter anymore. I've seen Brevroot openly admit they don't pay that much attention, so long as they get from A to B (or in a lot of our cases A to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

Peter and Silk having a sexual romp would definitely impact the marriage:)

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By christianrapper
    @spider11211 said:
    said:

yes, in real life. it would be pointless in a comic book. who wants to read stories about peter parker talking to his platonic female friend? the purpose of the characters in a comic book is to advance the plot. mj serves no purpose if she isn't dating peter. he sold his marriage to the devil in that hated BND story line. once he did that his relationship with her was over. there is really nowhere any writer can go with mj after that happened. you can go back in time and get william shakespeare ,and he will be hamstrung by that. the only way to have mj in peter's life in any meaningful way is to retcon BND. it seems like joe q likes peter single so there won't be any mj stories with peter parker. I'm as big a spidey fan as anybody. i preferred mj to gwen stacey. mj is the spidey girlfriend i grew up with. i love the character. however, even i can admit she is pointless without peter. blaming slott for ruining mj is just wrong. that happened with bnd.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:
    said:

it seems like joe q likes peter single so there won't be any mj stories with peter parker.

So long as the daily strip is running, there's always going to be an MJ story with Peter Parker.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius: But there still will not be a mainstream MJ story with Peter.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

That's been the case in the past, long before OMD, she was away from the books for four years when she turned down Peter's first proposal. When she was married to Peter, she did'nt appear in the books for a bit when Ben took over as well. From 2000-2003 she did'nt spend much time with Peter despite being married. MJ and long absences are not new to the title.

For this particular generation, they are now exeperiancing the kind of gaps another generation endured with MJ. Eventually though, she was brought back.

Again, Marvel have said MJ will not be away forever, Lowe said a year ago that MJ won't be seen in the book as frequently but was not going to be forgotten about and that there were plans for her later. Dan is only now getting back to using Harry Osborn in the relaunch, someone we thought he'd forgotten about five years ago. The guy is a long-term story outliner, putting certain characters on the shelf so as to have a different set of circumstances they can react to when they do come back. If you're going to be a writer, this might be a tip for you.

I don't know why you're so sure there won't be another Peter/MJ story other than wishful thinking because you dislike the character, but she will be back. She's never been out of the printed medium in the meantime, which is my point. She's not out of sight, and will never be out of mind.

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am glad she is gone i hate Mary jane Watson

PETER AND GWEN FOREVER

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zarius

@staphin said:

i am glad she is gone i hate Mary jane Watson

PETER AND GWEN FOREVER

Oh you mean that non-descriptive and boring little pettle that let herself be deflowered by the Green Goblin? Yeah, forget her.

In the meantime, Peter and MJ remain twenty-eight years strong somewhere.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By spider11211

@spider11211 said:
    said:

yes, in real life. it would be pointless in a comic book. who wants to read stories about peter parker talking to his platonic female friend? the purpose of the characters in a comic book is to advance the plot. mj serves no purpose if she isn't dating peter. he sold his marriage to the devil in that hated BND story line. once he did that his relationship with her was over. there is really nowhere any writer can go with mj after that happened. you can go back in time and get william shakespeare ,and he will be hamstrung by that. the only way to have mj in peter's life in any meaningful way is to retcon BND. it seems like joe q likes peter single so there won't be any mj stories with peter parker. I'm as big a spidey fan as anybody. i preferred mj to gwen stacey. mj is the spidey girlfriend i grew up with. i love the character. however, even i can admit she is pointless without peter. blaming slott for ruining mj is just wrong. that happened with bnd.

Not pointless, Peter has had many friends in the book why would this be different?

I have not blamed Slott for all of the issues with MJ, but he has not helped either.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

That's been the case in the past, long before OMD, she was away from the books for four years when she turned down Peter's first proposal. When she was married to Peter, she did'nt appear in the books for a bit when Ben took over as well. From 2000-2003 she did'nt spend much time with Peter despite being married. MJ and long absences are not new to the title.

For this particular generation, they are now exeperiancing the kind of gaps another generation endured with MJ. Eventually though, she was brought back.

Again, Marvel have said MJ will not be away forever, Lowe said a year ago that MJ won't be seen in the book as frequently but was not going to be forgotten about and that there were plans for her later. Dan is only now getting back to using Harry Osborn in the relaunch, someone we thought he'd forgotten about five years ago. The guy is a long-term story outliner, putting certain characters on the shelf so as to have a different set of circumstances they can react to when they do come back. If you're going to be a writer, this might be a tip for you.

I don't know why you're so sure there won't be another Peter/MJ story other than wishful thinking because you dislike the character, but she will be back. She's never been out of the printed medium in the meantime, which is my point. She's not out of sight, and will never be out of mind.

It thought it would be obvious that I was talking about the near future, not all time. And it is ironic that you are accusing me of wishful thinking.

She will never be out of the Spider-man mythos. But she is currently out off/has a small part in, most of the mainstream interpretations of Spider-man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.