Has Spider-man had a strength upgrade?

#1 Edited by Strider92 (15246 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just reading some back issues and I realized something. Spider-man does have some high-end strength feats but the best ones are generally few and far between. For example after the Bugle feat we didn't see anything on that level for a while. However in the space of barely 10-15 issues we saw 3 high end strength feats. These are the ones i'm referring too:

The Carbonadium Ripping in EoTE:

The Plane Landing in the Alpha Arc:

The Hulk/Thor feat in Superior Team-Up:

This bordering on consistent strength now so i'm just wondering if Spider-man's strength has been amped.

We even saw him temporarily KO Wolverine in Avenging something he was incapable of doing at one point:

#2 Edited by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say amped but it's consistently been underplayed over the years. I feel like it's an insult to refer to him as a "10 tonner" and that's basically backed up by the large majority of his feats. If anything, Marvel likes to list him as a weaker to keep his stories and universe more contained to a smaller level and to allow his villains to still pose threats.

Not to mention, it has been shown that Peter holds back RIDICULOUSLY even against his most dangerous foes. Best example, Otto being absolutely blown away when using Peter's body against Gargan and ripping his jaw off in one hit.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3792 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the Superior one is the most relevant to an argument for consistency: We've always known Spidey's strength sky rockets when placed under great pressure. But usually by that point, Spidey's pumped up on so much adrenaline he's barely thinking straight, hence the 'Don't think! Just DO!' Peter says while trying to stop the plane.

However, with Superior, Ock's making an impression on Thor and Hulk, and while he's indignant, he's most likely NOT at the life threatening levels of adrenaline Peter usually needs to access that level of strength.

#4 Posted by Teerack (4543 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not really an upgrade just more that they've never really showed his limits.

#5 Posted by Strider92 (15246 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I always thought 10tons was unfair that I agree with. He's always been a lot stronger than that and yes agreed he holds back. However landing that plane he outright states taking on upwards of 70tons, ripping Carbonadium an adamantium copy more that 1 foot in diameter and causing both Thor and Hulk to acknowledge he was moving in their grasp are also high-end ton feats and they seem to be feats he would not have been able to accomplish a few years ago. If it wasn't that i'd seen these 4 circumstances in rapid succession i'd be tempted to call it PIS.

#6 Posted by SheenLantern (5314 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey is a badass

#7 Posted by JonSmith (3792 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought 10tons was unfair that I agree with. He's always been a lot stronger than that and yes agreed he holds back. However landing that plane he outright states taking on upwards of 70tons, ripping Carbonadium an adamantium copy more that 1 foot in diameter and causing both Thor and Hulk to acknowledge he was moving in their grasp are also high-end ton feats and they seem to be feats he would not have been able to accomplish a few years ago. If it wasn't that i'd seen these 4 circumstances in rapid succession i'd be tempted to call it PIS.

Keep in mind, Peter's always said he has the PROPORTIONAL strength of a spider. Meaning the strength of a spider, scaled UP to his size. This is why Venom's always been stronger than Peter: It duplicated his powers, but when it latched onto a host that was physically bigger and more muscular than Peter (Eddie), it scaled up that strength to make him much stronger. Given that when Peter got his powers (and his initial stats were ten to fifteen tons), it makes sense he'd get stronger as he got older and more fit. Given his training to master the Way of the Spider, which probably put him in even better shape, his strength dramatically increasing is to be expected.

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I always thought 10tons was unfair that I agree with. He's always been a lot stronger than that and yes agreed he holds back. However landing that plane he outright states taking on upwards of 70tons, ripping Carbonadium an adamantium copy more that 1 foot in diameter and causing both Thor and Hulk to acknowledge he was moving in their grasp are also high-end ton feats and they seem to be feats he would not have been able to accomplish a few years ago. If it wasn't that i'd seen these 4 circumstances in rapid succession i'd be tempted to call it PIS.

I can understand your viewpoint. The plane feat might be a little ridiculous but we've seen similar representations a couple of decades ago with a worn out Peter supporting the Daily Bugle building. We've also seen him effortlessly swing around tanks.

The Thor and Hulk feat is slightly misinterpreted I think. Thor barely has a grip on Otto and Hulk is essentially doing the same. Thor has been seen to constantly compliment the strength of many heroes and villains alike so it's something I'd take lightly and Hulk only mentions that he thinks he felt him move.

#9 Posted by Strider92 (15246 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: That was what I was thinking but we never really saw the leap until recently. What i'm getting at is that intially yes he was around 10tons, then 15, then 25+ what I want to know now is that if he isn't holding back what is his limit before straining? If he took upwards of 70tons (I say upwards because he only acknowledges the jet weight and the fuel weight and chooses not to think about the thruster pressure) could his strength level before severe strain be in the 50ton region?

#10 Edited by laflux (11020 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 Eh, he had handbook entry upgrades during the Queen arc (which was barely mentioned), and of course during the Other, so he was upgraded their and had a few nice strength feats.

But to your point specifically, I was reading some early issues of Sensational Spider-Man, in a fight with Kraven, he gets weakened with poison and starts to Hallucinate, seeing everything as a threat. A speeding Van weighing considerably more than an African Bull Elephant so 7-10 tonnes seems right comes towards him, and he effortlessly flips it over. Keep in mind Spider-Man not only overpowers the Weight of the Van, but also additional movement force, and he did while weakened.

A few issues later, he fights Moonstone, and holds a massive crane with one hand, and swings to Land on Moonstone, knocking her out. Keep in mind that Moonstone that tango'ed with Savage Hulk a few issues earlier.

Also remember Peter's Fight with Flash Thompson, where he was punching Flash so hard it was causing Earthquake style fissures.

But its a fair point.

#11 Posted by Strider92 (15246 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: What i'm getting at is that yes we've seen similar representations of strength but always few and far between and with severe trauma on Peter's part. There happened within a small number of issues of each other and Pete was still standing and even fighting in some cases after them.

@laflux: I'll put the question to you as well. What is current Spider-man's base strength if he can perform those feats all in the upper tonnage (70-80tons) under stress? Imo it can't be far off 50.

#12 Edited by VeganDiet (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: What i'm getting at is that yes we've seen similar representations of strength but always few and far between and with severe trauma on Peter's part. There happened within a small number of issues of each other and Pete was still standing and even fighting in some cases after them.

@laflux: I'll put the question to you as well. What is current Spider-man's base strength if he can perform those feats all in the upper tonnage (70-80tons) under stress? Imo it can't be far off 50.

I've just started to assume that he, for some reason, kept his strength and speed upgrades from "The Other." The speed he demonstrated to blitz 3 people with Spider Sense lends a little credence to this as well, I'd think.

As for his "tonner" status, I have him sitting around 30 at base, and being able to leap up to mid-50 tons when pressed.

#13 Posted by Mitrageist (7148 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's necessarily gotten an upgrade, but in each of those situations he was under more stress than he's been under in a while, or been unfamiliar with his new strength.

EotE - "The world's counting on you" and he was pretty mad about Sable dying.

Plane - he has a track record of going above and beyond the norm when it comes to saving Aunt May

Hulk/Thor - they're holding him kind of wrong for restraining him. He's a pretty wiry guy, and they have big hands, so him being able to shift around isn't that much of a surprise, especially considering neither of them want to hold him so tightly as to hurt him. I do the same thing with younger siblings. Their speech sounds like he's stronger than expected, but that may just be because of desperation. Again, same thing with younger children. And they're both only holding him with one hand per arm.

Wolverine - I'd say Wolverine being knocked out like that isn't necessarily outside of normal Spidey's range. Or it's just bad writing.

I'd also like to point out that in the plane feat, he's estimating closer to 60 tons than 70 (I don't know how much thrust would add, so I could be wrong). Minimal difference at that level, but still.

And on a side note, I hadn't seen this before. Maybe I missed it when everyone else realized? But

Dammit, Slott.

#14 Posted by MatteoPG (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say amped but it's consistently been underplayed over the years. I feel like it's an insult to refer to him as a "10 tonner" and that's basically backed up by the large majority of his feats. If anything, Marvel likes to list him as a weaker to keep his stories and universe more contained to a smaller level and to allow his villains to still pose threats.

Not to mention, it has been shown that Peter holds back RIDICULOUSLY even against his most dangerous foes. Best example, Otto being absolutely blown away when using Peter's body against Gargan and ripping his jaw off in one hit.

My thoughts exactly.

#15 Posted by segamarvel (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@strider92 Eh, he had handbook entry upgrades during the Queen arc (which was barely mentioned), and of course during the Other, so he was upgraded their and had a few nice strength feats.

But to your point specifically, I was reading some early issues of Sensational Spider-Man, in a fight with Kraven, he gets weakened with poison and starts to Hallucinate, seeing everything as a threat. A speeding Van weighing considerably more than an African Bull Elephant so 7-10 tonnes seems right comes towards him, and he effortlessly flips it over. Keep in mind Spider-Man not only overpowers the Weight of the Van, but also additional movement force, and he did while weakened.

A few issues later, he fights Moonstone, and holds a massive crane with one hand, and swings to Land on Moonstone, knocking her out. Keep in mind that Moonstone that tango'ed with Savage Hulk a few issues earlier.

Also remember Peter's Fight with Flash Thompson, where he was punching Flash so hard it was causing Earthquake style fissures.

But its a fair point.

I want to read the sensational one. Can you tell me the issue number or at least some scans? The moonstone one would be great to if you could.

#16 Posted by kgb725 (3401 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has held back Peter's strength feats except when someone is near death

#17 Posted by segamarvel (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

But its a fair point.

I repeat which Issues? I REALLY want to read them.

#18 Posted by w0nd (2012 posts) - - Show Bio

like any human you piss him off or get his adrenaline pumping they can exceed what they thought they were capable of.

#19 Posted by Ms. Omega (4192 posts) - - Show Bio

As I recall didn't Spidey get a strength upgrade in the "Other" story line in addition to more powers only to have them go away after that story line was over?

#20 Posted by segamarvel (341 posts) - - Show Bio

some early issues of Sensational Spider-Man, in a fight with Kraven, he gets weakened with poison and starts to Hallucinate, seeing everything as a threat. A speeding Van weighing considerably more than an African Bull Elephant so 7-10 tonnes seems right comes towards him, and he effortlessly flips it over. Keep in mind Spider-Man not only overpowers the Weight of the Van, but also additional movement force, and he did while weakened.

Can SOMEONE please tell me which issue it was?

#21 Posted by Wyldsong (4148 posts) - - Show Bio

As I recall didn't Spidey get a strength upgrade in the "Other" story line in addition to more powers only to have them go away after that story line was over?

He lost all of the Other upgrades. Kaine now possess the abilities of the Other.

#22 Posted by segamarvel (341 posts) - - Show Bio

"Sigh" Can someone please help me figure out the issues to those feats he mentioned earlier? Also while were at it. Can anyone also tell me what issue the "hundreds of times my body weight" came from?

#23 Posted by SavageDragon (2161 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman has always been able to mess up Logan

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.