Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Getting into Spider-Man Comics...

OminousDaark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello guys, I was just curious as to where I should begin as it is really confusing and there are a lot of them.

I am hoping to read enough to understand the newer one that will be starting Post Secret-Wars.

As of now I have heard that Dying Wish is a good place to start, then moving onto Superior etc. and I know I will also be grabbing all of the Ultimate Spider-Man books following the news on Miles Morales.

My main question is, - Is Dying Wish the best place to start? or Would it benefit me more to go a bit back (I don't want to go to far back but enough to fully understand things)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I dont know, i dont read Spider-Man.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you are planning on reading only recent Spidey comics, I recommend you start reading from the "Big Time" arc and just keep on from there. It lays the groundwork for a lot of the new elements in Peter's life.

OminousDaark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage: Thanks a bunch goonage - I'll take a look into it!

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zarius

IMO, those stories do virtually no character in this franchise any justice and you're better off reading older stuff by JMS or the spin-off books that encircled the main book from 2010-2014, but if you're wanting to understanding the current stuff, you have to read them

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By infantfinite128

I think the current stuff are a terrible representation of the character and his villains (except Doc Ock). Spider-man used to be right up there with Batman as my favorite superhero, but I hate the current man-child intepretation by Dan Slott. Superior Spider-man is great though! Dan Slott has a great voice for Doc Ock, but not Peter. The only modern Spider-man I could recommend is reading stuff outside continuity or outside the main title. If you want to read a really good Spider-man run, I'd recommend JMS' run. Although, I have not read the current Ultimate Spider-man Miles stuff. I'm sure that's really good since I loved Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man stuff when he wrote Peter.

Avatar image for the_human_spider
    the_human_spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: if you don't read Spidey then why are you on this thread?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@the_human_spider: Keep topic active so people might see this topic and answer to this topic

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you should read everything by JMS and then cry because it's all down hill from there. Kravens last hunt, Venom and the stuff by McFarland before he made Spawn was cool.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you just want to get into the new stuff, I recommend you read from Big Time to what's going on now.

If you want to get a deeper understanding of the character, I recommend you read Ultimate Spider-Man starting from issue 1 that came out in 2000, and then you read JMS' run.

OminousDaark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah thanks guys, Ill be sure to take a look starting at Big Time (and all of Ultimate Spider-Man) once I get all and am ready for the new series ill be sure to go back and read JMS' run

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.