Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Funny: Silk Origin

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Creative Genius #1: “So clearly we need more Spider-centric characters since we don’t know what the Hell to do with Peter himself after bringing Otto back.”

Creative Genius #2: “Though to be more precise, we didn’t know what to do with him before that, either…”

Creative Genius #1: “That’s beside the point. We’re talking about moving forward and the future of keeping Peter secured as a supporting character.”

Creative Genius #3: “We will introduce a new spider female.”

Creative Genius #2: “That’s it! That’s gold!”

Creative Genius #1: “They’ll love her as much as Araña! We’ll force fans to love her! We’ll put her in goddamn everything!!

Creative Genius #3: “Yes. And we will tell readers we’re doing it because they are demanding it of us.”

Creative Genius #2: “Oh my God! I am near-blinded by the brilliance!”

Creative Genius #1: “That won’t be enough for some. How can we make her even more appealing?”

Creative Genius #3: “By compelling her to have sex with Peter. Or other spider-related persons or constructs. Like a spider in heat. Fans love humping in Spider-stories.”

Creative Genius #2: “Nowhere near as much as we do! When Peter humps lots of different girls it feels like it’s really me doing it!”

Creative Genius #1: “But what if they don’t like it?”

Creative Genius #3: “… Then we will simply tell them that their mail tells us they do, so clearly they do. That will shut them up and keep them eating the substandard nougat.”

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Terrible character she is.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrible character she is.

And an even worse role model.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pizzaman

Yeah I don't like Silk either.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give her a chance.

Sure, she wasn't needed. But then again, Spider-Man stories were going nowhere, even before Superior Spider-Man. Superior gave it a little boost, but it's not nearly enough. And if Silk was created so that now in the Spider-Verse, Peter can actually evolve not only has himself and also has Spider-Man, to become better, then I can adapt to Silk and give her room to do her stuff.

And who knows. Maybe she'll surprise us in the future. And if she doesn't, writers will send her off to some alternative Earth or simply kill her off, and problem solved.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RevivalMH
    tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill her off and be done with it.

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny but its not that serious, and I doubt they even slepted together.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I still don't like her character.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

lame...

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: What makes her not a good role model?

I couldn’t care less about the sex exploits of a philandering irresponsible and immature Peter Parker. Silk has no real depth to her personality. She does not come across as believable. She is a one dimensional character and a sex-ploitation plot device and the only time we see her is when she’s with Peter…and when she’s alone with Peter, she’s trying to screw him because of lol “pheromones”, like dogs on heat, lol, the urge to mate like spider bunnies. What? Seriously? lol. It’s not even written with realistic maturity.

I work with kids, some of which have suffered trauma, neglect and abuse and the process to recovery, stability and normality takes time. However, the fictional character of Silk has been locked up for 13 years and she is apparently completely trauma free. Wow! there is no emotional or psychological damage, other than being consumed with lust every time she is around Peter. Yeah right, being locked up for 13 years turns you into a stalker, a hyper-horny female spider person.

But Hey! there’s all that sex to catch up on. Lol, what a great example for teenage girls reading comics that casual sex with the person you are attracted to is okay. If it feels good, just do it. There are no repercussions. It’s school boy fantasy and totally irresponsible writing.

Silk is known as a “Mary Sue” character: a character who is unrealistically perfect in every way. She undermines Spider-Man’s powers in every way because she is portrayed as a better superhero than Peter because every character Slott writes is a better superhero than Peter. She doesn’t have any struggle or challenge in battle or even in ordinary life, seeing as how she gets an internship at a major news station without any resume or documents. This makes the character unrealistic, stereotypical and just plain boring. You need conflict and struggle for a story or character to work. She is a force fed character with no substance.

I think of a role model in serialiszd fiction as someone I can relate to and perhaps would like to meet if they were real. Katniss Everdeen, from Hunger Games is such a character and many people admire the character’s integrity and humbleness, but I shudder at the thought of meeting a Cindy Moon type character.

It’s interesting to note that characters like DCs Dick Grayson are always evolving and Nightwing has reached adulthood, but Slott’s Peter Parker, instead of being a responsible, strong and mature 28 year old, has regressed into a goofy wisecracking weakling.

Spidey has a truly unique skill set, but you wouldn’t know it anymore. His unique super hero status is also further diminished and eroded by Silk who was allegedly bitten by the same spider. An altogether BS concept making Spider-Man’s distinctive and remarkable origin less significant. Pete has become an incompetent fool and a second rate character in his own book.

Marvel’s whole “world outside your window” has also become a fallacy. Diversity of thought is frowned upon as being politically incorrect and sees them patting themselves on the back with their “diversity” moves, but really, they only focus on race, gender and sexuality. They are pandering to a gullible and impressionable younger demographic.

Being a minority female character does not excuse Silk from being a bad character and terrible role model.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revivalmh said:

@magnetic_eye: What makes her not a good role model?

I couldn’t care less about the sex exploits of a philandering irresponsible and immature Peter Parker. Silk has no real depth to her personality. She does not come across as believable. She is a one dimensional character and a sex-ploitation plot device and the only time we see her is when she’s with Peter…and when she’s alone with Peter, she’s trying to screw him because of lol “pheromones”, like dogs on heat, lol, the urge to mate like spider bunnies. What? Seriously? lol. It’s not even written with realistic maturity.

I work with kids, some of which have suffered trauma, neglect and abuse and the process to recovery, stability and normality takes time. However, the fictional character of Silk has been locked up for 13 years and she is apparently completely trauma free. Wow! there is no emotional or psychological damage, other than being consumed with lust every time she is around Peter. Yeah right, being locked up for 13 years turns you into a stalker, a hyper-horny female spider person.

But Hey! there’s all that sex to catch up on. Lol, what a great example for teenage girls reading comics that casual sex with the person you are attracted to is okay. If it feels good, just do it. There are no repercussions. It’s school boy fantasy and totally irresponsible writing.

Silk is known as a “Mary Sue” character: a character who is unrealistically perfect in every way. She undermines Spider-Man’s powers in every way because she is portrayed as a better superhero than Peter because every character Slott writes is a better superhero than Peter. She doesn’t have any struggle or challenge in battle or even in ordinary life, seeing as how she gets an internship at a major news station without any resume or documents. This makes the character unrealistic, stereotypical and just plain boring. You need conflict and struggle for a story or character to work. She is a force fed character with no substance.

I think of a role model in serialiszd fiction as someone I can relate to and perhaps would like to meet if they were real. Katniss Everdeen, from Hunger Games is such a character and many people admire the character’s integrity and humbleness, but I shudder at the thought of meeting a Cindy Moon type character.

It’s interesting to note that characters like DCs Dick Grayson are always evolving and Nightwing has reached adulthood, but Slott’s Peter Parker, instead of being a responsible, strong and mature 28 year old, has regressed into a goofy wisecracking weakling.

Spidey has a truly unique skill set, but you wouldn’t know it anymore. His unique super hero status is also further diminished and eroded by Silk who was allegedly bitten by the same spider. An altogether BS concept making Spider-Man’s distinctive and remarkable origin less significant. Pete has become an incompetent fool and a second rate character in his own book.

Marvel’s whole “world outside your window” has also become a fallacy. Diversity of thought is frowned upon as being politically incorrect and sees them patting themselves on the back with their “diversity” moves, but really, they only focus on race, gender and sexuality. They are pandering to a gullible and impressionable younger demographic.

Being a minority female character does not excuse Silk from being a bad character and terrible role model.

QFT!!!
    QFT!!!

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skyleat

The truth has been spoken.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much sums it up. Hopefully her ongoing dies on the first issue.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: First, some of your points are valid. I completely agree with you on Slott's Peter. He is immature and irresponsible. Even when Peter was in high school and college during the Lee/Ditko/JRSR he wasn't as immature as he is now and his tenacity was something to be admired. One of the many reasons the character became such a great success. All that said we're not talking about Peter here and honestly it doesn't bother me as much as many of the others here on Comicvine because once Spiderverse finally ends I have a feeling we will get back to Peter's character development. I have faith in Slott's writing based on his prior works and as we all know many events are not the best showcase of character developments save a few really great events.

You mentioned Silk's sexuality not bothering you then go on to mention it again in your post as something that does. Really its the only thing I can gather as to why she is not a "good role model" that you mentioned. It's something that really bothers me with the many Silk detractors. There has been no indication that they have had sex. Just because Peter's shirt was off in one panel doesn't indicate that they made it the whole way and most of the time they're trying to prevent themselves from actually having sex because they see it as wrong due to the primal nature they have when around each other. All that being said, casual sex does not equal immaturity, irresponsibility, or any other negative connotations about one's character. Sex is sex, and as long as it's safe and consensual, young adults, and adults shouldn't place the taboo on it that our society currently has.

All the other issues are really problems with her character development and don't indicate really anything about her being a good role model. The way I see it is we haven't seen enough of Silk yet to determine if she really is a good role model or not. So far she has risked her life to defend the people around her, and sacrificed her own happiness to be locked away in a bunker for ten plus years to keep the other spiders safe. That seems pretty admirable to me.

Now as far as her being a realistic and relatable character I again have to point to the lack of character development and knowledge we have on her. She has shown signs of being affected by being locked away that have been fairly subtle. She's been brash in her actions and conversations. An example from the top of my head is asking Peter to move from NYC because they should be apart. She has no idea how big of a life decision that is to ask someone to move from their home. We also haven't yet really gotten to see what is going on within her mind and things have escalated so quickly in Spiderverse that we probably won't get a chance to until her solo series. Sure its a little unlikely that she would have been able to land an internship so quickly without any sort of experience or education but that's something that will need to be addressed again in her solo series.

To just really quickly touch on trauma I will say this; trauma affects everyone differently. Trauma especially affects adults differently than children. I myself am no stranger to traumatic events being that the line of work I am in I get to see it first hand in adults. I am certainly no expert as its not the focus of my work but I've been around it plenty due to the events some people have to go through in this line of work.

I'm not saying that everyone should like the character at this point. Not at all. All I'm saying is we don't know her so how can we dislike or like her? She garners so much hate here on Comicvine that you would think that she took a dump in everyone's cereal bowls. Her being bit by the same spider or having similar powers does not diminish anything Peter has accomplished. Plenty of other characters have already been created that make Peter no longer unique in skill-set. That's a whole other issue in itself which has already been labored to death elsewhere but again they still don't take away his accomplishments and what makes him as a person unique. My point is she has a chance to be an interesting character if written correctly and based on what Robbie Thompson has said about the character and where he wants to take her there is certainly a chance.

End of long rant/ramble...

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda like Miles...

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mary Sue Test for Silk.

Having a backstory which reveals a coincidental connection between the protagonist no matter how senseless is? Check

Having a over the top tragic past? Check

A beautiful young woman that wanted to be normal? Check

The Chosen Oneing (Literally, she is more Special that Peter, since there its tons of Peters but just one Cindy Moon)? Check

Plot Advice Character? Check

Sexy senseless costume that makes no sense what so ever? Check

Some Type of Purity Sue going on? Check

Being amazingly good for no real reason what so ever? Check

Could walk away with something that other characters cant, meaningless sex its the most common one(Captain Kirk its proud)? Check

Being the perfect other? Check

The problem isnt Mary Sue characters, its how they are done and why they were made, Captain Kirk its a great on and Silk its a terrible one.

Kirk justify himself and his reason to be in the plot by good writing, Silk doest its as a plot device and by derailing characters.

They actually screwed Black Cat relationship with Peter so they could get Silk around, since if they wanted to have Spiderman with some one that could be in a costume, besides the whole MJ thing and take Carlie Cooper out of the picture.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.