Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Exclusive: Spider-Island and MC2 Spider-Girl Return in SECRET WARS

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Secret Wars announcements continue! Today we have a double dose of Spider-action. Christos Gage and Paco Diaz are teaming up to revisit Spider-Island. If that wasn't enough, each issue will also feature a return to the MC2 universe as Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz return to Spider-Girl and her family.

No Caption Provided

SPIDER-ISLAND #1 & #2

Written by CHRISTOS GAGE & TOM DEFALCO

Penciled by PACO DIAZ & RON FRENZ

Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

• · The Spider-Queen has turned Manhattan into an island of Spider-Madness and Peter Parker has lost, thanks to Spider-Scribe CHRISTOS GAGE (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN) & rising star artist PACO DIAZ (WOLVERINE, SCARLET SPIDERS).
    • · With Spider-Man defeated and captive, does Flash Thompson, A.K.A. VENOM stand a chance?
    • · All this, plus visit the MC2 patch of BATTLEWORLD! Mayday Parker and her Spider-Family are back courtesy of classic Spider-Girl team TOM DEFALCO, RON FRENZ & SAL BUSCEMA!

40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

We had a chance to talk to the creators to find out more about each story.

Chirstos Gage on SPIDER-ISLAND

COMIC VINE: What can you tell us about this SPIDER-ISLAND story?

CHRISTOS GAGE: It takes place in a Manhattan where the Spider-Queen (villain of the original Spider-Island story) triumphed. She rules an island of people her Spider-Virus turned into huge mutant man-spiders, with her Spider-King (a transformed Captain America) by her side. Pretty much every human being in her kingdom is a spider-monster, loyal to her...except a stubborn resistance force of uninfected, led by Flash Thompson, a.k.a. Agent Venom. Flash is tormented by his failure in the final, decisive battle of New York's champions against the Queen, in which he was unable to save his hero, Spider-Man, who was lost in the fight and is presumed dead. Though the Venom symbiote is vulnerable to the Queen's sonic powers, Flash is determined to redeem himself, or die trying. And he has a plan...a way to turn old allies from pawns of the Queen into free-thinking beings. But in this world, there's no cure for the Spider-Virus. It's too late. The only option is to transform the subjects into something else...and that's how Capwolf, Lizard Hulk and other bizarre twists on familiar characters come into the story!

CV: How does it compare to the recent Spider-Island story? Does it continue or veer off from a certain point?

CG: More "veers off", and in my head, I know where. But we want this story to be completely accessible to people who haven't read the original, or may not remember it too well. So all you really need to know is the good guys lost, and almost everyone in Manhattan has been turned into a half-human, half-spider, completely loyal to the Queen!

CV: When did you come up with the idea for this story, back during the original or when you were getting ready to jump into this one?

CG: When Nick [Lowe] approached me about doing this one. I know what some of the other Secret Wars stories are about, and the common thread they have is a lack of limits. You can go nuts and let your imagination run wild. It reminded me of the old-school WHAT IF? tales. Accordingly, it was pretty logical to start from a place where the good guys lost and the Queen runs Spider-Island...but as for where it goes from there, I just threw off the shackles.

CV: What's the tone of the story?

CG: There's definitely a post-apocalyptic feel to it...that came about naturally, since 99% of New Yorkers have been turned into giant spiders. But I also didn't want it to be super-depressingly dark. Spider-Man stories, to me, have an element of hope to them, and I wanted to preserve that. Hopefully there is also a tone of, "I can't believe they did that!" So, although it's been ages since I watched them, maybe a feel of such classic movies as Escape From New York and The Warriors...where you're in an environment where everyone is out to get you.

CV: Will other characters besides Flash Thompson get a chance to jump in the spotlight?

CG: Yes! Some you've seen before in other settings, like Capwolf. Others are new twists on classic characters, like the Lizard Hulk. And there'll be a few who remain in their familiar state. Plus one very important figure we won't see until later.

CV: Were you given any restrictions or characters you couldn’t use for the story?

CG: 
Nope. I mean, uncharacteristically for me, I didn't try to put Devil Dinosaur in it, but that can only mean I got to do something else equally nutty. The great thing about Secret Wars is that you can do almost anything. As the advance images show, just because one title is using Venom or the Hulk or Captain America doesn't mean there can't be a different version of those characters in ours. That's the fun of it!

CV: Does the Spider-Queen have the same motivation in this story? Is Jackal around?

CG: Spider-Queen's motivation remains the same: to transform and completely control every denizen of Spider-Island, and kill any she can't rule. She is very close to reaching her goal. As for the Jackal, in the original story, the Spider-Queen appeared to kill the Jackal when she no longer found him useful, and that is the status quo here. But readers know he survived in the original tale. So anything's possible.

CV: If Spider-Island became a reality in your neighborhood, how would you cope with it?

CG: Mobilize a band of hardy survivors and...who am I kidding. I'd be the first to go.

DeFalco & Frenz on SPIDER-GIRL

COMIC VINE: Where will this fit in? Another timeline, after the events of Spider-Verse?

TOM DEFALCO: This story will fit in after the events of Spider-Verse.

RON FRENZ: The newly christened Spider-Woman and her alternate universe Uncle Ben are the entre' characters to the wonderment that is our MC2 universe.

CV: Will we see May deal with the aftermath of losing her father?

TD: May will be dealing with the loss of her father and her decision to change her name to Spider-Woman--a decision that may not exactly go as planned.

RF: Spider-girl will indeed be dealing in every way with her new status quo.

CV: How's it feel coming back to Mayday's world?

TD: I loved all the time I spent with May and the MC2 Universe and it is a real and unexpected pleasure to have the chance to see my old friends again.

RF: May's world has undergone a seismic shift thanks to Dan Slott and Editor Nick Lowe. We're just hanging on for dear life and waiting to see what Spider-Girl and her fellow A-Next characters have to say about it.

CV: Any hints as to what we can expect in the story or what villains might arise?

TD: You’ll see Hope Pym (who I’m told will be appearing in the upcoming ANT-MAN MOVIE) who made her first appearance in A-NEXT… plus a few more familiar faces.

RF: We'll be dealing with the MC2 versions of characters that are about to explode on the worldwide stage.

CV: Even though the stories all focus on Spider-Girl as a teen, have you ever thought what her adult life might be like?

TD: Absolutely!

RF: Yes.

CV: What's your favorite thing about working on Spider-Girl?

TD: I love the characters and it is a privilege to work with master craftsmen like Ron Frenz and Sal Buscema.

RF: The BEST thing about working on Spider-girl and shaping the MC2 universe as a whole has been the wonderfully creative partnership with the Legendary Tom DeFalco! I couldn't ask for a BETTER "other half" of my brain.

Don't miss SPIDER-ISLAND when it goes on sale!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1 inferiorego  Staff

One step closer to seeing J2

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't like that cover

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

YESSSSS!!!

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mayday's in it? I'm in!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool

Scistorm4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Spider-Island, so this looks interesting.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God. Paco Diaz? Man... Tsk. That's really disappointing. Especially since I was really looking forward to this.

I'll still read it, though, I guess. Just have to put up with the art or hope he's improved. I mean, it's got Venom and Mayday in it. *sighs*

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

So an Agent Venom lead series, where he has to save Spider-Man?

Is it possible for me to say f**k yes enough times?! Man I hope this turns out awesome. I'm glad Thompson will be somewhere in Secret Wars!

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn, MJ is hot.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Sort of confirms that Secret Wars is just a bunch of "What If..?" stories that won't tie-in together...

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

My secret wars predictions are coming true!

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bystander

@granitesoldier: Holy F***ing Hell YEAH!

Finally we'l finally get to see some Agent Venom action! Finally! I... (oh great, I'm crying now) I just can't express how happy I am...

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith in Tom'n'Ron, but for me this is still the "ringer" Mayday from Spider-Verse we're lumbered with, I blame editorial for that. I imagine that there will be more "subtle but profound" differences and "surprise treats" in this series to tell us something's off without affecting the overall story.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey working with his family? My dream came true. Agent Venom too? FANGASM!

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely reading this.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be a buy for me !! never read the original, so this should be interesting.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping Kaines in it

SteamPunk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@captain_batman_ftw said:

Damn, MJ is hot.

Agreed <3. I like the idea of seeing more of Spider-Powered!MJ, as that was one of the things I liked from the original Spider Island arc. Here's hoping she has a prominent role in this story, as I'd love to see her out there kicking copious amounts of derriere with Flash's resistance force.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Come on, A-Next...

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

move over spider-gwen here comes spider-jane lol

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally we'l finally get to see some Agent Venom action! Finally! I... (oh great, I'm crying now) I just can't express how happy I am...

Bendis?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior said:

Bendis?

Well Bendis isn't writing the Spider-Island Secret Wars book, Gage is. I've only read a small amount of Gage's work, but he's down a decent job when he's written Spidey so I'd imagine he can handle Venom decently as well.

It's just been a year or so since we've seen Flash in action, so even if this is a What If? type story (is that what Secret Wars is? it seems like it is, but also that it's canon What If? based on Gage's answers? I'm still confused by it...) it'll just be nice to see Thompson in some awesome action under someone not named Bendis.

Although I wonder if Thompson will also be in the GotG Secret Wars book...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

No Anti-Venom? :(

I mean why include Eddie Brock it's not like he SAVED THE ENTIRE DAY IN THE END.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Cloakx14

@teerack: that sucks Anti- Venom was awesome !

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Island isn't really something I want to revisit. lol Oh Well.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bystander

@parachomp: please... Don't be evil... :'(

Hahaha it's funny how this superpopular writer managed to screw up BOTH of my favourite characters. Well, Moon Knight is back on his feet after the bendisaster, but Flash...

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is probly the best Spider-Hottie costume ever. Not perfect, but close. The top needs to be a little smaller, not enough cleavage shown of her superboobs, & we need more mid-riff shown. Instead, of shorts, she should be wearing a pair of panties that , along with her boots, should have the spider suit pattern on it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ParaChomp

@cyberwarrior: Life is so easy when you're evil, this is the life you see. Yeah, Flash is probably my favourite mainstream character and I'm glad to see him hopefully not in the role of the butt-monkey.

@granitesoldier: That is a good question.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: I hope after the Secret Wars event Flash's will start reabilitating... As far away from GotG as possible.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: Thompson wouldn't be bad with the GotG under a writer who had a grasp on cosmic characters. Bendis is just out of his element and not doing a good job with any of them.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Well, that is possible with another writer, but to be honest, I'd still prefer him on Earth)

@parachomp: +1

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

YES!!! Buying this for the Spider-Girl stories, hopefully the redo of Spider-Island will be good, but either way more Spider-Girl!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.