End of Superior?

• 110 results
#1 Edited by FuriousWeasel (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a quick question really? Does anyone know when the whole 'Superior' story-line is going to end? It was an interesting idea for a while but I personally think it's gone on enough now.

#2 Posted by JasonHawke (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

It ends when it will. It's only 14 issues in. Endure it.

#3 Posted by Spideysense44 (3379 posts) - - Show Bio

@furiousweasel:

well in one upcoming issue he has to fight Doc ock i know it sounds weird

#4 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly no.

#5 Posted by darthfury78 (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man is not even close to 25% completed.

#6 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

amazing 701 will likely be released a week or two before asm 2. I think that peter disappeared during spider island and the peter doc ock killed was a clone. so he'll come back and whoop otto's ass back to some other body and he'll be an octopus again. I don't think doc ock can stand nobody knowing what he accomplished so he will tell and it'll blow up in his face

#7 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Never! Muhahahaha

#8 Posted by PunyParker (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a quick question really? Does anyone know when the whole 'Superior' story-line is going to end? It was an interesting idea for a while but I personally think it's gone on enough now.

Noone knows.

#9 Posted by M3th (2093 posts) - - Show Bio

Find out when Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out

... that's when Superior will end.

#10 Edited by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

I sure hope so. We need Parker back!

#11 Posted by PunyParker (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

Find out when Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out

... that's when Superior will end.

They're launching Marvel Knights in 2 months,with Parker,and in time for the movie(May 2014) they are releasing Familly Bussiness with Parker again.....i believe this is the Peter we will get.Although i read that the Fraction's event poster(the one where Spider-Man wears his Amazing costume) is the general direction Marvel will get in 2014,so we can hope for a comeback that year.

I sure hope so. We need Parker back!

Damn straight.

#12 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

We shall have to wait and see......

Sooner is better than later.

#14 Posted by craymond (21 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like even Dan Slott say that the series will end soon. (Though he's not saying when.) I remember reading a quote where he referenced Empire Strikes Back when talking about Superior. When Luke gets his hand cut off and Han gets frozen. Back when I was akid it blew my mind because... THE BAD GUYS WIN. Like Dan said, the story's not over.

We just need to ride this out and wait for THE RETURN OF THE JEDI!!! No wait, THE RETURN OF PETER!!! (See what I did there.)

#16 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@craymond: When did Slott imply that SSM is coming to an end?

#17 Posted by ODSTmaster (22 posts) - - Show Bio

we need Parker back Doc cock will never be the true spider-man he is to arrogant and is just horrible to them because he nearly kills all his villains now

#19 Posted by craymond (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@phaedrusgr: Oh, that's more speculation on my part. Slott more implied it when he talked about how comics are serialized fiction and referenced Empire Sttikes Back. What's he saying? The story is not over. He's not saying how, when or..... if, but that the STORY'S NOT OVER. That sounds like a red flag that the story's leading to an end. It's not official but it seems pretty obvious.

If your looking for the article I'm sorry I seem to be having trouble posting links.

#20 Posted by darthfury78 (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man has been a fun read. I like Dan Slott's take on Otto's method of crime fighting. Otto has made Spider-Man the Wolverine of his genre. But what would be sweet is seeing Otto progress to the point where he rules the Earth for its own good. And it would be nice to see Mephisto playing/torturing Peter Parker's soul in Hell.

#21 Posted by w0nd (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man has been a fun read. I like Dan Slott's take on Otto's method of crime fighting. Otto has made Spider-Man the Wolverine of his genre. But what would be sweet is seeing Otto progress to the point where he rules the Earth for its own good. And it would be nice to see Mephisto playing/torturing Peter Parker's soul in Hell.

Mephisto didn't want his soul. His soul made him sick he said, because he was too righteous (eventhough he made a deal with the devil in the first place) and his deal was one out of love and helping someone else. That's why he took his marriage instead.

#22 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

i like it, hope it doesnt end for a while

#23 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@darthfury78 said:

Mephisto didn't want his soul. His soul made him sick he said, because he was too righteous (eventhough he made a deal with the devil in the first place) and his deal was one out of love and helping someone else. That's why he took his marriage instead.

Is it possible though, that by taking Peter and Mary Jane's marriage he also took a piece of Peter's soul? It would be an interesting twist on One More Day/The Clone Saga if the real Peter returned with the original soul but a clone body.

#24 Posted by darthfury78 (799 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: Nah. Peter's soul is pure anti-matter, which is what Mephisto needs to power up his weapon to use against the Gods who banished him to Hell in the first place. Peter's righteous soul was once part of an energy weapon that Mephisto had used during his invasion of Asgard when Odin destroyed it with Mjölnir. The energy from that weapon was dispersed into 5 separate souls that escape into 5 different dimensions. One of them became the soul of Peter Parker. This would be Mephisto's motivation to getting it back by creating a false deal with Peter into thinking that he will save his Aunt for his marriage, which was actually a contract to take his soul legally.

#25 Posted by Night Thrasher (3683 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superior is awesome. To me if Morrison had done it with Batman everybody would be exclaiming how great it is and fapping over every issue. The fact is; it's something new and different and it's been a great ride so far and the fact that this writer did it and not someone like Grant Morrison or Goeff Johns shouldn't effect how good it is!

#26 Posted by HumanRocket (7894 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal: that sounds like something crazy enough to work crossing my fingers.

#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18447 posts) - - Show Bio

Books are still selling strong, why end it?

#28 Posted by danatblair (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury:

at this point, there are still supporters. Hey, remember the clone saga. Had a great start. Then drug out for forever and people started to lose interest. eventually it collapsed in on itself. People now generally mock it.

ending the book after a 1 1/2 - 3 year run where the story has at least a following and supporters who will defend it's legacy is better than running it into the ground by trying to expand an event past it's shelf life. and make no mistake, this has a shelf life. Even many of the people who are reading the story are doing it because they want to see how pete comes back. No one likes it when you move the football too many times, ask Charlie Brown.

to be clear, I could not give less of a frick. I am not enthused by this story. Still, I will admit that the story has supporters. I just don't think all of those supporters are going to wait 5-8 years for this to end. Waiting until sales slump to wrap it up is a bad plan. Go out strong with good sales and earn a legacy.

#29 Posted by PaperDemon (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man is not even close to 25% completed.

Yep. Im done here. (Jumps off empire state building)

#30 Posted by Z3RO180 (6476 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear to god as soon as Peter goes back to being spider-man all you SpOck haters will be saying Perters came back to soon and that the whole superior thing was awesome.

#31 Posted by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Depends on how much of the superior story gets told. If they bring Parker back now, I wouldn't be angry as more annoyed that the superior story ended sooner than planned. danatblair points out how the clone saga dragged on, could easily happen with superior. Ock still hasn't reached the level of "superior" nor has he had to deal with any repercussions yet.

#32 Posted by danatblair (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180

Ummm, not likely. there are very specific reasons why not-superior spider-man does not click with people. His sudden absence is not going to cause everyone who dislikes him to suddenly miss him. See, real people have things called motivations. Some motivations can be casual and easily realigned, other motivations can be very ingrained. I, as it turns out, actually have reasons that I have sat and thought about as to exactly why I don't like this comic. I don't like the "man this issue is going to make you so angry that you have to buy it" trolling that marvel and slott have engaged in. If they respected me as an individual, they might have admitted they wanted to blatantly rip-off knightfall and I would have considered going along with it if the story was well written. As it stands, i feel like if I gave them money I would be rewarding trolling. So even before we get into lackluster plotting and generous use of the idiot ball, I am not enthused. When this arc is done, I will not miss it. When this run ends, I will not miss it.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

It ends with Slott being shown up for the writing hack he is.

#34 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: Depends on how much of the superior story gets told. If they bring Parker back now, I wouldn't be angry as more annoyed that the superior story ended sooner than planned. danatblair points out how the clone saga dragged on, could easily happen with superior. Ock still hasn't reached the level of "superior" nor has he had to deal with any repercussions yet.

I tend to doubt that. As stated by another many people have strong reasons to not like this story.

#35 Posted by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180

I don't like the "man this issue is going to make you so angry that you have to buy it" trolling that marvel and slott have engaged in.

This is strange marketing. I've heard of musicians wanting to create different sounds to alienate non-true fans but not to actually antagonize their fans. Has Stan Lee commented on the change? I heard he made some comment not liking Garfield's comment about a gay spider-man (or something). Would the anger be different if Marvel said at the beginning this was a 20-30 issue run?

#36 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever it ends won't be soon enough for me.

#37 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superior is awesome. To me if Morrison had done it with Batman everybody would be exclaiming how great it is and fapping over every issue. The fact is; it's something new and different and it's been a great ride so far and the fact that this writer did it and not someone like Grant Morrison or Goeff Johns shouldn't effect how good it is!

omg sooo true if morrison would have done it everyone would say its a work of genius but since slot did it everyone has a pitch fork. slotts had a great run on spiderman he made it a decent read which it hasnt been since the brand new day story so you gotta thank him for that

#38 Posted by Darkseid011 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a really good story, but I think it will end in about 5 issues, everyone's starting to learn that this guy is not Peter or spiderman.

#39 Posted by danatblair (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_oblivious: For me at least, If they were honest that this was an arc or event - I would be fine with it. I think it is an interesting idea, but really hate how they completely insulted my intelligence in the process of marketing. I have read comics books long enough to know that things like this are temporary. They always are. anyone who tries to tell me with a straight face that Peter is gone forever long live Sp-ock - is either blatantly lying to me or full of delusion. Basically, I think they got greedy. They wanted to try to sell this as a potential new status quo as a means of keeping the end of the arc open- to maximize profit. Admitting that it had an end might have forced them to put a date in pencil and that would be awkward to back out of. Trying to sell it as status quo does also attempt to up the dramatic tension, but there is none still. Honestly, I think the entire point of the superior in the title is to eventually make it an ironic phrase. In the end, peter will show why his way was better and ock will basically be jean paul valley. If you look at his costume it is slowly changing and getting less human looking to the point he has red spider legs by the time black cat shows up. Almost like Valley-Bats slowly changing his costume. I mean, the dramatic beats are kinda obvious even if the actual events are not as predictable. Telling me that a given issue is sure to enrage me so I must buy it, is insulting given the fact that this will end and peter will be back at some point.

and sorry for not responding sooner, i honestly didn't realize someone had replied to me.

#40 Edited by Darkseid011 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@furiousweasel: it gonna to end around issue 20 when he meets spidey 2099

#41 Posted by slimchin23 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

its gonna end around issue 50 cause theres a lot thats going on.

#42 Posted by Tohoma (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll end when people stop buying.

#43 Posted by Eric10956 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it cracks the top ten in sales every month so until people stop buying it you might have to wait a while. I don't get why you guys force yourselves not to like it, it's a fresh idea, and Dan slott isn't a bad writer. Just enjoy it,I do.

#44 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it cracks the top ten in sales every month so until people stop buying it you might have to wait a while. I don't get why you guys force yourselves not to like it, it's a fresh idea, and Dan slott isn't a bad writer. Just enjoy it,I do.

Not all of us find it fresh and even a good writer can write a story someone doesn't like. Personally I don't get what people find so fresh and interesting about this. Otto's ridiculous plot armor doesn't exactly help matters either.

#45 Posted by DanSlott (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh. A snarky smart-ass meme. God, those are obnoxious...

Here. Let me put this in a way you might understand:

:-D

#47 Posted by angelalfonso (1011 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott:

It’s hard for me to excepted but you have good a point

#48 Posted by EllisLeRoy (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Well once again stuff gets very testy on here...

#50 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.