End of Amazing Spider-man Discussion (WARNING: Spoiler-Filled)

#1 Edited by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

*WARNING: YOU SHOULD NOT READ/COMMENT ON THIS TOPIC UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY READ ASM #700)*

We've been debating for months who Superior Spider-man will be and how he would actually become the new Spidey; well now that the theories can all die, its time to discuss (instead) the feelings all Spidey fans feel about how the Amazing Series ended (for now anyway) and what is to become of Superior Spider-man. To add, this is a spoiler-filled discussion! Meaning all opinions may have spoilers in them, anyone who complains should know there's at least four warnings before actual spoilers show up.

*LAST CHANCE: MAJOR SPOILERS START HERE*

Ock is the new Spidey, let's just get that out of the way. Thanks to my idiocy when it comes to spoilers, I found out about this a week ago through leaks on 4chan. I was disgusted at the thought, but Slott reassured me that the actual issue would make the end result a lot better. I read it, and all though it is (to be honest) a well made issue filled with heart and drama, I didn't like the end...at all. Even with this well made issue, it still feels like the biggest middle finger given to Spider-man comic readers yet: Sins of Past is very close (just god-awful), One More Day could've been easily fixed, and even in Clone Saga (when they tried to replace Peter back then) Pete was still alive so there was a huge chance he would take up the mantle again. But #700 seems to want to destroy all logic out of our heads that Pete will come back; Pete dies (in the most disrespectful way possible to kill the character if you ask me), Ock gets all of Pete's memories (technically making him still Pete), and even Senior Editor Stephen Wacker went so far to say that ""Peter Parker fans will sort of fade away over the months and years." (WHAT!?! Don't tell me they plan to make this change this long). I'd like to express my opinion more on the hate I have for the end of this issue, but I did make this a topic right? You guys should express too:

Do you love or hate this change?

Will Peter be back?

Do you think Superior will still be good regardless?

etc.

My quick opinion on the end of Amazing and the beginning of Superior:

I, personally, am not buying any Superior issues. Why? Because buying them would make me feel like I'm supporting this change (even though part of me wants to give it a chance), and its clear I'm going to hate the personality of this new Spidey. I read this preview from Superior Spider-man #1 and Avenging Spider-man #16 and I nearly facepalmed...

A Spider-man that runs away from fights? Spider-man continuing to fight no matter what the stakes is one of the biggest reasons he's my favorite. Also he acts like an a-hole to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE...

Wow, way to ruin Pete's friendship with several Marvel heroes he's made over years just cuz you have an attitude problem (Also what the hell is with the nose? The Superior Owl-man?). As a bonus we already have a Spider-man who acts like this and no dumb mind switching required, Kaine. So giving us a Spidey that is more "dark" is completely pointless. Three comic book previews of Superior Spider-man #1, and I'm already bored with the guy; we've seen this kinda hero and Spider-man several times. I don't even get why we have to change WHO it is. Just have Pete switch his mind back at the end of #700 and have the experience change him to take things more seriously and not be so strictful on the whole "not killing" rule. That would have made 700 an amazing issue, given us a great ending, and would give a legit reason for the darker and grittier Superior Spider-man to exist. Also the thought of Ock living the life of Peter and possibly getting it on with MJ disturbs me; what if when Pete comes back, MJ sleeps with the dude. Talk about ruining the only good relationship we have left with Spidey (but then again One More Day already did that).

Well, that's my opinion on the end of Amazing and the future of Superior Spider-man. What's yours? Commence the discussion...

#2 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyFan113: Does it explain the claws?
#3 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: If you haven't read #700, I recommend it. It's a great comic, I just hate the ending. Without spoiling ANYTHING, lemme just say the comic ends with the identity of Superior Spider-man then its THE END. All I'm saying... :)

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyFan113: Ock now is basically Peter Parker right?
#5 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: (Looks around) >Sigh< Yes... >:/

#6 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyFan113: Well...Basically he is just a dick now...lol
#7 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: With a capital D...

#8 Edited by CountMario (9 posts) - - Show Bio

hey guys, I've kind of been a lurker for a while and this is my first post, but I've been catching up with the whole issue 700 debacle for months and decided that I should share my opinion by now.

So I'll start off with this, I'm sorry, but I can't take criticism of this issue seriously. I fully admit that this is petty of me, but it's how I feel.

Amazing Spider-Man has consistently been one of the best mainstream supehero comics since I started reading it a couple of years ago when "Big Time" started. And it had been getting pretty good reviews since before that. I know all art is subjective, but I feel this is as close to objective fact on such things as it gets. It's a really good book and Dan Slott deserves a chance to play this story out.

For much those same reasons, I find all the continued complaints about "One More Day" to be incredibly tiresome. We get it. You didn't like that story. I'm not going to defend that story. Read the book or don't, but don't try to judge a current storyline by completely different people by an old story. I mean no personal offense, flashedarling but this:

"So... they were so dedicated to having Peter being spiderman and not making him a legacy character that they forced a deal with the devil so that Peter could stay spiderman and swinging single. Instead of doing something like bringing back Ben Reilly or something. And then this?

Yeah. Screw them."

Is really, really annoying to me.

But most of all: People, come on. You know how this works. Peter will come back. Don't pretend like you don't know otherwise. There are changes that are meant to stick (like Peter being single), and changes that aren't. This is pretty clearly going to be the latter. And that's okay! Otto's tenure as Spider-Man and the inevitable return of Peter Parker can still be a good story despite the fact that we know broadly how it will end. Marvel is master of the rotating status quo, shaking things up in one place while reverting things to the "classic" mode elsewhere, then repeating it in other places with the next event. They always have an out. And sooner or later, they'll exercise it here. That doesn't mean the story is bad, just that it has a planned end that puts the pieces back more or less where we found them (except for the bits that feed the next story arc, which will end with things back to status quo except for the bits that feed the next story arc, etc.). In fact, to me, this is practically Kraven's Last hunt extended into an ongoing comic with Doc Ock instead, which again I find perfectly okay and one of my main interests in Superior's future run.

But the thing that really makes me steamed about this is how Dan Slott has been getting death threats. Death Threats. About a story event in a goddamn comic, one that anyone with half a brain knows is a temporary plot point. I understand no one here is like that, but Jesus Christ, people need to get some perspective.

Keep in mind that I'm not directly aiming this towards the OP, but the backlash in general. I mainly took most of these points form another respectable user on another forum just to clarify, but only because I sincerely agree with him and i already formed this general consensus. keep in mind that he's only running away because he's new to this, with his first job literally being to take on a new Sinister Six. C'mon, you have to admit that even for an egocentric like Otto, that's a bit much to deal with at first. But also one of the main reasons why I'm excited, because he'll act differently, they build character development and as evident by Avenging 15.1, be influenced by Peter's memories and possible presence to not act as much of a jerk over some time.

#9 Posted by allhailme (289 posts) - - Show Bio

So Doc Ock is spiderman and peter is dead. I don't even know what to say. I am not a fan of this decision.

#10 Posted by funnyfishman (92 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a huge mistake, MARVEL

#11 Posted by EscGamer (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm not tripping too much over it because i already know how they could fix it. See ock is in Parkers body and vice-versa so what they could do is say that somehow the mind swipe was really a mind altering. Now let me explain, hear me out fellas and ladies, what we read isn't always what we think. Maybe somehow someway through using the helmet that Otto made and uploaded his brainwave with just rewrote it so he can think he was Peter and vice-versa. Now then how is that possible you ask, we'll believers it's comics and recently re-read Ms.Marvel annual 1 and Stuart came into play. He (Stuart...well the prime one) uploaded himself into the internet while leaving aspects of himself in androids behind each holding his memories and certain personalities. It's weird but cool, anyway that got me thinking of when I upload stuff I tend to put the wrong things in the wrong folders (i.e. I'll put my solo vaca pics in the family folder when they obviously don't need to be there....trust me..I party) so what if they are mixed up in that ol' spidey noggin' of his. It's possible and besides he's uploaded. If you upload your music on google play for instance and your laptop crashes have no fear it's still around, just get a new one and download it. So yeah I'll give SSM a shot just to see how he can handle the price of power cause clearly he couldn't handle it when he had his Ock Arms but I know someday it will reach it's end and just as Amazing turned Superior, Superior will turn True.

#12 Edited by CountMario (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually thought a very similar solution to that Esc. Maybe that's why I'm not feeling the common displeasure, I barely even look at this as a legitimate "death". I mean, we have a person who has Peter Parker's body with Peter's memories and personality - should we even consider Peter to really be "dead"? It's more like a very very long brainwashing story. Doc Ock hijacks Peter's body and drives it around for at least the next 24 (the amount of issues in a year's run of Superior) issues, but Peter is still inside. This isn't like the death of Ultimate Peter Parker where it was a built up final battle with an honorable death and the usual meaty stuff that makes up a grand finale for a beloved character like usual. In fact, i's quite possibly the worst thing that could ever happen to Peter, which is what really captivates me, and honestly shows that Dan has balls for pulling this off.

#13 Edited by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyFan113 said:

"Peter Parker fans will sort of fade away over the months and years."

Any there it is. The last straw to even bother checking it out. I was willing to check it out for short term because I thought it was just going to last a year but looks like it's going for the long haul. You know I figured something like this would happen eventually when they replaced Ult Peter Parker.  It seems the comic industry and in some cases fans that try and make it the costumed identity that is the character and not who wears the costume identity.   They make it so the super identity is something separate from the character who made it and who's under the mask/cape is just something interchangeable like it's nothing. 
#14 Posted by Night Thrasher (3705 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not permanent. i can almost guarantee it. It'll be fun while it lasts though.

#15 Posted by CountMario (9 posts) - - Show Bio

The same exact treatment was given to Human Torch and he came back in less than a year, Dernman. Not that this will last as short, but don't fully believe every little thing you see from a company like Marvel.

#16 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4012 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm conflicted about this...I mean I wanted Peter to stick around when the new Spider-Man comes in, but now it's Doc Ock?! Well.....we'll see how this goes.

I'm gonna miss Peter though... :"(

#17 Edited by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio

CountMario  They tried to replace him with permanently Ben Reilly and it didn't work out that's why they brought Peter back. Now I'm not saying they will change it forever but you think for a second they wouldn't keep it this way if it keeps selling well? There is no evidence this will be less then a year but from what I have seen it seems to be longer. Whether it's another attempt at permanently changing or just a change for a long while I'm just not interested in supporting this when I could use my money on something I know I will enjoy. 

#18 Posted by CountMario (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I never said it'd be less than a year or the same length. just most likely not permanent. Marvel's current track record (Along with DC) pretty much shows that these events will ALWAYS revert, even if sales are up. You don't have to spend your money on this is you don't want to, but I'm merely just informing you of what I predict and stand by. Besides, do you really believe that this will still be in full effect by the release date of Amazing SPider-Man 2, which can draw in new readers while they're still technically promoting Peter Parker? Also, this series will ship twice a month which will add up to 24 issues a year. A lot can happen with Superior Spider-Man, much more quicker than most series in fact. Yes, ben Reilly happened, but that was about two decades ago. Keep that in mind.

#19 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4012 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay here's what I have to post:

I'm still unsure about this change

I think just to avoid the wrath of fans, Peter will be back.

I think Superior will still be good regardless

I'll still read the issues and see if it's good.

But seriously, I really like to know how Marvel is going to handle this uproar. Again.

:Peace

#20 Posted by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio

Track records can change especially when they are making an effort to change. It's not unknown for characters to  permanently change. It's something that's happened more then once. The reason it doesn't happen to the bigger names is because fans keep calling for the return of the original characters and that's what I'm doing by not supporting this. You predict it and stand by it fine but I stand by the fact they can perm change it if they want too and it seems like it's going to be longer then a year which is too long IMO. You can't use the movie thing because it's already been shown in the past that it doesn't matter. Several times characters have been gone or changed while their movie has been out throwing out the chance to promote the normal character. Yes a lot can happen but who says it will be good? Ben Reilly did happen two decades ago but so what/ if anything it's more of a reason they would try something like this because it was so long ago. That is something to keep in mind.

#21 Posted by CountMario (9 posts) - - Show Bio

It's also a sign that Marvel has changed since then with Ben Reilly. That's all I'm trying to say. And about the movie coincidence, look at the route of how the Avengers is going with Cap's new look akin to the Ultimate and movie designs, Hulk being a major part of the Avengers and effectively replacing Red Hulk, and the sudden push of Nick Fury Jr. to coincide with the black Nick Fury of the movie universe. The movie thing might not matter in some situations, but that does not mean all of the time. If you don't want to buy it or you think over a year is too long, that's fine. I'm not forcing you to like this, I'm merely expressing my thoughts that this is not permanent. Fans are not the only factor in a character change or return, like the return of the Human Torch, it was all planned from the start no matter what the reaction would be. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?

#22 Posted by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio
@StMichalofWilson:  

I'm still unsure about this change 

Understandable

I think just to avoid the wrath of fans, Peter will be back.

Hopefully. 

I think Superior will still be good regardless 

Might be.

I'll still read the issues and see if it's good.

Understandable

But seriously, I really like to know how Marvel is going to handle this uproar. Again.

Honestly I don't think they are as bothered by it as people think they are. As long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line they don't really care.  If it's something they get everyday is uproar over some change they make.
#23 Posted by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio

It really hasn't changed all that much.  
You said this

Besides, do you really believe that this will still be in full effect by the release date of Amazing SPider-Man 2, which can draw in new readers while they're still technically promoting Peter Parker?

I said this.  

You can't use the movie thing because it's already been shown in the past that it doesn't matter. Several times characters have been gone or changed while their movie has been out throwing out the chance to promote the normal character. 

You tried to make it seem that because the movie was coming out that it wasn't a question of it happening because of the movie. You're back tracking and defeating your point and supporting mine. That the movie doesn't necessarily mean there will be a change and because it doesn't necessarily mean it will change it doesn't mean anything. It just becomes it could or could not happen. Something it always was and not a point that can be used. You're expressing your opinion on it being permanent that's fine so am I.  I never though you were trying to force me to buy th book. Thing is my opinion isn't about it it will in fact be  permanent but that it's seem like it's going to be too long for my tastes and that it's not as unlikely as people try to say it is for a permanent change
#24 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

Temporary sales gimmick for first issue sales bump. Anytime numbering is restarted this is the reason. Cheap marketing ploy.

#25 Posted by SpideyFan113 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson: I agree with all your points. I wanna check out Superior, but I'm not gonna go buy comics. Leaks on the internet and that's it. I refuse to pay money for this change. Even then, I'm still unsure I want to read it; I have no intention to see Doc Ock ruin what Pete has been crafting and perfecting for over 50 years with the rest of the Marvel universe and picture Slott and everyone else at Marvel HQ thinking that this is actually a good idea and then laughing about it. Just, ugh. I got a friggin' Spider-man cardboard cut out for Christmas, but right now I can't even look at it the same without picturing Doc Ock. All I'm picturing for happy thoughts is Marvel announcing "Superior cancelled. ASM #7?? comes out next Wednesday!" or something like that. I mean from what I've heard Marvel NOW sales are doing terrible. Getting big bucks the first issue and then collapsing drastically on #2 issues. Just look at these results:

#1s

Iron Man #1 116,529

Thor God of Thunder #1 110,443

#2s

Iron Man #2 72,902

Thor God of Thunder #2 65,533

Captain America, Uncanny Avengers, and so on are doing awful too, but I couldn't find their results. So yeah, if they react this way with just renumbering superheroes and not even changing anything, you can bet they'll change Superior very soon. It won't last long, I hope...

#26 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

OMD all over AGAIN. nuff said.

#27 Posted by danatblair (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I've spent the last few days processing this. So I'll try to be something other than ranty. This is also my first public statement on this, so I might fail.

I think the idea is interesting, however I am demoralized by the execution. Not actually the death of peter (i know that's temporary), but the styles and stances of Slott and the Marvel editors have left me kinda numb (and very angry.) When Marvel mouthpieces are saying things about how the fans of Peter Parker will fade over time I don't know how to react.

Logically, the "this is permanent and Peter is forever dead" crap that they are saying is not true. I've been reading Spider-man since the 1980's. I've seen plenty of other statements like this. But marvel editors are aware of previous moments like this.. They know those things have been said before. So they are either lying to me (and by extension treating me with no respect) or they have a level of hubris I have never encountered before in the entertainment I choose. In either case, they have lost my respect.

By refusing to admit that it is an event slated to last a few years they are deliberately keeping how much commitment is required of the readers vague. How much money do they expect me to spend? 4 dollars per issue twice a month for around 2 years comes to nearly two hundred dollars. And given that there might be ties-ins and important events that span all Spidey related books the actual price tag is ridiculous.

And how much time am I expected to devote to this while I wait for Peter to return? Most reasonable guesses have it at around 2 years, as Marvel flails to make movie Spidey and Comic Spidey similar. That'a a long time. And it may not be over then if Marvel pig headily sticks to this like OMD/OMIT. I think the entire point of denying the temporary nature of this is so that they are not locked into an out and can keep milking it for as long as possible. That strategy worked well with the Clone Saga. There is a lot of "seen-it-before" here despite the claims of doing something new and original.

Even more, I am expected to emotionally invest in the person who just murdered one of my childhood heroes in cold blood and stole his life. I can't really go there. Even if I could give Marvel hundreds of dollars for untold years I can't do it out of anything more than loyalty to the name "Spider-man". I could buy this as a novel (graphic or prose), an event, a mini-series, etc. If I knew there would be a sense of completion on the horizon I could have tolerated this concept (which I think has some merit). I can't really line-up for an unending defilement of the actual reason person I followed in the comic that will probably someday possibly have a maybe okayish ending.

The arrogant grandstanding and manufactured hype surrounding this new "Spider-man" has taught me something. For all the years I thought I was a "Spider-man" fan. I was mistaken. I am a fan of Peter Parker. It is his optimism, perseverance, dedication, and selflessness that I enjoy. He didn't have to change when Uncle Ben died. It was something inside of Peter that made him reflect on his mistakes and grow into a better person. It wasn't the memory of the moment that triggered new found goodness. It was a tragic event that reminded him of why he shouldn't ignore his responsibility to those he loved. And Peter, being who he was, took it a step further He could have just used his powers to protect his friends and family. Instead he decided to include all of New York (and eventually the entire World) into his family. That is inspiring. That is why I read the book.

Even if I could have tolerated the editorial bullcrap and given it a try that extra bit of rapey squick where Sp-ock has already attempted intimacy via false pretense (no matter who initiates it, is rape if consent is achieved by deception ) is more than I'd want to take. And that little extra twist of the knife is MJ professing her undying love to Sp-ock directly after he berates her and calls her "woman." Never mind the fact that she has identified the Chameleon with less, her portrayal is intentionally twisted into idiocy for the sole point of shocking the reader when her love is directed at a monster in Pete's form. The mind in Parker's body just tried to take advantage of her (while sending clear signals of not being Peter) and she says she love's Peter. Oh where do I go with this?

Keep in mind, Slott has said that he has been planning this story his entire run. That means every time he teased a glimmer of Pete/MJ he was doing it not for their eventual reunion, but for that moment. He has been feeding false hope to a disaffected section of the fanbase for the sole intention of throwing their desire to see the two together in the face of those fans. That is some long-term sadism of vile proportions.

To everyone who thinks that the people who are unhappy with OMD/OMIT need to move on I would like to point out that Marvel is not moving on (and seems to not want to either). It has taken the position of Lucy waving the football. And I know they won't let me kick it. I know it's just a game, but every so often my optimistic side (something I always enjoyed in Peter) gets the better of me and I fall for it. Much like how Charlie Brown should really just ditch his "friend "who is a manipulative jackass and find new friends in a new park, it might be time for me to decide that the ride with marvel's been fun and I should go do something else. I'm tired of playing ball.

#28 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@danatblair: Your post is "amazing", my friend. Your words spoke directly to my heart and my logic at the same time. It's high time, Marvel started respecting the fan base or else...

#29 Posted by silverageguy (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate the costume, hate the new character, hate the plot line. Hate the whole idea. Wont be buying the book.

"Nuff Said."

#30 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@danatblair: Blair, my friend, my brother, my fellow Peter Parker, you summed up all my rage, all my doubt, all my loyalty, in your post. Plz everyone read his post and reflect on it. We have the money and money fuels the beast.

#31 Posted by silverageguy (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@CountMario: Since you have only been reading Spiderman for the last two years I can understand why you feel the way that you feel about this change. I have been reading and following the character for the last 45 years. Unfortunately you have never been exposed to any really great Spiderman story arcs. The last two years have been abysamally bad, and the next two arent looking very promising either. For Marvel to do this at the 50Th annniversary of a great iconic hero is unforgivrable. Those of us who have been around for awhile remember that Peter and MJ had the greatest love story in comic book history. We also remember the long history of Doc Ocks nasty behavior. First we were rewarded for our loyalty by the dissolution of A truly great marriage. (By a Satanic bargain no less.) Now we get to have Doctor Octopus take over Peter Parkers life, and preesumably help himself to his one true love as well. This was no way to reward a loyal fan base. When I read Spiderman I want to feel satisfaction. I have no interest in shock value. Satisfaction for many of us long time fans at this point seems a long way off.

#32 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyFan113 said:

*WARNING: YOU SHOULD NOT READ/COMMENT ON THIS TOPIC UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY READ ASM #700)*

We've been debating for months who Superior Spider-man will be and how he would actually become the new Spidey; well now that the theories can all die, its time to discuss (instead) the feelings all Spidey fans feel about how the Amazing Series ended (for now anyway) and what is to become of Superior Spider-man. To add, this is a spoiler-filled discussion! Meaning all opinions may have spoilers in them, anyone who complains should know there's at least four warnings before actual spoilers show up.

*LAST CHANCE: MAJOR SPOILERS START HERE*

Ock is the new Spidey, let's just get that out of the way. Thanks to my idiocy when it comes to spoilers, I found out about this a week ago through leaks on 4chan. I was disgusted at the thought, but Slott reassured me that the actual issue would make the end result a lot better. I read it, and all though it is (to be honest) a well made issue filled with heart and drama, I didn't like the end...at all. Even with this well made issue, it still feels like the biggest middle finger given to Spider-man comic readers yet: Sins of Past is very close (just god-awful), One More Day could've been easily fixed, and even in Clone Saga (when they tried to replace Peter back then) Pete was still alive so there was a huge chance he would take up the mantle again. But #700 seems to want to destroy all logic out of our heads that Pete will come back; Pete dies (in the most disrespectful way possible to kill the character if you ask me), Ock gets all of Pete's memories (technically making him still Pete), and even Senior Editor Stephen Wacker went so far to say that ""Peter Parker fans will sort of fade away over the months and years." (WHAT!?! Don't tell me they plan to make this change this long). I'd like to express my opinion more on the hate I have for the end of this issue, but I did make this a topic right? You guys should express too:

Do you love or hate this change?

Will Peter be back?

Do you think Superior will still be good regardless?

etc.

My quick opinion on the end of Amazing and the beginning of Superior:

I, personally, am not buying any Superior issues. Why? Because buying them would make me feel like I'm supporting this change (even though part of me wants to give it a chance), and its clear I'm going to hate the personality of this new Spidey. I read this preview from Superior Spider-man #1 and Avenging Spider-man #16 and I nearly facepalmed...

A Spider-man that runs away from fights? Spider-man continuing to fight no matter what the stakes is one of the biggest reasons he's my favorite. Also he acts like an a-hole to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE...

Wow, way to ruin Pete's friendship with several Marvel heroes he's made over years just cuz you have an attitude problem (Also what the hell is with the nose? The Superior Owl-man?). As a bonus we already have a Spider-man who acts like this and no dumb mind switching required, Kaine. So giving us a Spidey that is more "dark" is completely pointless. Three comic book previews of Superior Spider-man #1, and I'm already bored with the guy; we've seen this kinda hero and Spider-man several times. I don't even get why we have to change WHO it is. Just have Pete switch his mind back at the end of #700 and have the experience change him to take things more seriously and not be so strictful on the whole "not killing" rule. That would have made 700 an amazing issue, given us a great ending, and would give a legit reason for the darker and grittier Superior Spider-man to exist. Also the thought of Ock living the life of Peter and possibly getting it on with MJ disturbs me; what if when Pete comes back, MJ sleeps with the dude. Talk about ruining the only good relationship we have left with Spidey (but then again One More Day already did that).

Well, that's my opinion on the end of Amazing and the future of Superior Spider-man. What's yours? Commence the discussion...

Sooooo, i know this is Spidey forum buuuut, is Wolverine ditching the blue again for Brown?

#33 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

I Do not like this change, but honestly it's almost exactly what i was suggesting, but with Norman instead of Ock.

#34 Posted by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait Doc Ock is the New Spiderman?! What kind of shit is this?! That's almost like the Joker taking over as the new Batman! This has to be one of the dumbest decisions Marvel has ever made.

#35 Posted by gridde (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyFan113 said:

This page actually makes me like Superior a whole lot more.

I'm as annoyed about #700 as everyone else, but...yeah, Peter Parker WILL come back. The temporary hiatus of Spider-Man is a shame, but if Superior has a good story and involves Ock beating the shit out of guys who are used to picking-on or shoving Parker around, I'll at least give it a read.

As much as Slott obviously dislikes the Peter Parker character and/or the fans, I doubt even he will have Ock sleep with Mary Jane, purely because that is faaaaar too close to rape. Marvel will not allow an unpunished rapist to carry his own title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.