Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Does the Spider-Man reboot hold up to Sam Raimi's Trilogy?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Obviously, no one can make any conclusive judgments about the Spider-Man reboot (The Amazing Spider-Man) as a whole because only one film of it has been released so far and the second one is months away from hitting theaters. However, based on what you've seen of it so far, the first film and the trailers of the second one, how do you think it's holding up compared to Sam Raimi's trilogy?

Here are my thoughts on this matter.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By novi_homines

=(

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BluRayHiDef
    novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blurayhidef:

This conversation has been discussed so many times. It usually leads to heated discussions. But I guess people just got tired of talking about it.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blurayhidef:

This conversation has been discussed so many times. It usually leads to heated discussions. But I guess people just got tired of talking about it.

I guess I'm late to the party.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Erik

Martin Sheen was quite the ham in Amazing Spider-Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall no. No no no.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

I thought Uncle Ben's portrayal by Cliff Robertson was more touching and sympathetic (when he died). As he uttered "Peter, Peter," while dying in Peter's arm, my eyes watered. Damn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You can't really compare a single film to a whole trilogy. That said, the first Spider-Man film was superior to TASM. Why? The Amazing Spider-Man did nothing differently. And don't give me the "it follows the comics" argument. It has to be well executed if it's going to follow the comics, it needs to do it well. That said, the movie does have some redeeming qualities. I liked the casting and the tone of the movie. The movie had kind of an "Ultimate" feel. At the end of the day, though, revisiting the origin story hurt it. There was no need to do the origin story again.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think the Raimi trilogy is superior with the exception of Spider-Man 3. The only real thing I could concede is the web swinging aspect. But, to be fair, the CGI technology of ASM is far more advanced than the original trilogy and just having Spidey be able to swing realistically at the time was a feat unto itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not yet, but it has just as much potential.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First spiderman was better then the first amazing spiderman, the second spiderman was amazing and based off the trailers i doubt it would be beat by amazing spiderman 2. As for 3 we can't saying anything since we have zero to base it on.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@erik said:

I thought Uncle Ben's portrayal by Cliff Robertson was more touching and sympathetic (when he died). As he uttered "Peter, Peter," while dying in Peter's arm, my eyes watered. Damn.

I guess it's just personal preference then. I thought he was overacting in every single one of his scenes. It was making me cringe. His death was probably only more touching because he didn't have a moment of slipping away like Cliff Robertson did in his. But I felt like the hamming up was reversed in that one particular scene for Spider-Man (2002). Tobey Maguire cries terribly. Comically actually while Andrew Garfield did an amazing job. Below is both death scenes for comparison. Like I said, it all comes down to preference but I thought Sheen was 'haha bad' in all his scenes.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolverine008

I like TASM and Garfield's Spider-Man portrayal more even though Raimi's is still pretty good.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By LyraFay

Sam Rami's Spiderman was Marvel's answer to Richard Donner's Superman. It's got a place in movie history and comic book movie history. Its one of the few comic book movies that will outlast the rest of the genre when it dies (the others being Nolan's Batman Trilogy and Iron man (the first one) and the first two X-men).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Yes, it surpasses it easily

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Thus far, I don't prefer Webb's ASM film to Raimi's Spider-Man 2 or first Spider-Man film. Why's that? Because ASM goes unnecessarily dark, emo-ish in tone as if it's trying to hop on the Twilight bandwagon. It tried to bring the Ultimate Spider-Man feeling to the films but doesn't do anything differently which is exactly what Ultimate Spider-Man did bring to the table. I do like Garfield's wise cracking and portrayal of Peter Parker but overall, the new reboot seems to be following the trail of Nolanism too much which is something I do not approve of in comic book films. The Raimi films were very good Spider-Man films (aside from Spider-Man 3) that captured the core of the Spider-Man mythos without going unnecessarily dark or brooding like the first film was.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I don't think we have enough for a comparison to the trilogy but I did like the first Spider-Man movie more than Amazing.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daiohnysis

@lvenger: Are you serious? If anything, the Raimi films were way too freakin serious. Spider-Man actually cracks jokes in the new one.

On top of that, Spider-Man 1 has aged HORRIBLY! I have no clue why anyone liked that movie, because it isn't very good. The acting is decent to awful (it has freakin Kristen Dunst in it), and for the life of me I have no clue what Green Goblin's motivation was.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@daiohnysis: Fair criticisms of Raimi's film but what's equally fair is the uneven and Nolanistic tone of Webb's first ASM movie. It'll contrast with the second one greatly when it comes out. Plus it just becomes a Twilight brooding fest IMO.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally found Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker a very relatable person emotionally speaking with the problems he was going through in TASM with me being a teenager myself.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By kidchipotle

ASM had good writing and good story but was pillaged by horrible casting. Raimi's Spider-Man for the most part had great casting with the exception of Mary Jane and Eddie Brock with decent stories (save for SM3).

Raimi's Spider-Man > Amazing Spider-Man

in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.