Does Spider-Man Love Gwen Stacy More Than Mary Jane?

• 79 results
#1 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11599 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just asking this question because everytime some illusion or something show what spidey's ideal life it shows him married to gwen stacy instead of mary jane. Like HOM he was married to gwen and not mary jane or in universe X when spiders man try to use illusions on him and instead showed the life he wanted. 

#2 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ.

#3 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

yea and that is the way it should be one cause she was his first love, she died when they were young and they were still in a relationship, and some one will say that he has put her on a pedestal, and in some ways he has, but in all things concidered he should love her more cause she was far better then MJ

#4 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11599 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh* I miss Gwen T_T
#5 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@GrandSymbiote94:  How old are you? Did you read Stan Lee's run as a kid or later?
#6 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
" yea and that is the way it should be one cause she was his first love, she died when they were young and they were still in a relationship, and some one will say that he has put her on a pedestal, and in some ways he has, but in all things concidered he should love her more cause she was far better then MJ "
I agree Gwen is so much better!!! @GrandSymbiote94 said:
"
*sigh* I miss Gwen T_T "
I miss her too!! I think everyone does though!!!
#7 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

you know i never read anything with Gwen actually in it accept for flash backs but in everyone of those appearances she is way better the MJ, i bet if she found out Peter was Spidey she would of never asked him to stop being a hero unlike a red head that will remain namless

#8 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:

"you know i never read anything with Gwen actually in it accept for flash backs but in everyone of those appearances she is way better the MJ, i bet if she found out Peter was Spidey she would of never asked him to stop being a hero unlike a red head that will remain namless "

I'd prefer you not to besmirch Mary Jane Watson (formely Parker)'s name, especially if part of the "asked him to stop being a hero" involves OMIT (which in my opinion, should had never happened).

As for what would happen if Gwen found out his other I.D., keep in mind, there was a time, if you read atleast reprints of atleast her appearances in the early 70s, added with the "flashback" story in Amazing Spider-Man #365, since / because of her father's death, caught between a battle between he and Doctor Octopus, when she blamed / hated / feared Spider-Man so much, he probably was a major (in the 70s, not 00s "Sins Past") reason she left New York, to London, for a short while, wanting to leave everything that reminded her of her father, and Spider-Man. 

Ohhh yeah, and even before, on Amazing Spider-Man #87 or so, she spent part of her birthday in tears, when Peter attended her party publically revealing himself as Spider-Man ( he was under a flu, and Hobie Brown later helped his part in calming hers, everyone else's, suspicions). 
#9 Posted by CM_Cameron (60 posts) - - Show Bio
@mewmdude77 said:
" I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ. "
You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry.
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@CM_Cameron said:
" @mewmdude77 said:
" I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ. "
You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry. "
This. It's not so much that he loved Gwen more than MJ, his greatest desire is just that Gwen was never killed. He loves them both equally, just in different ways. 

Peter Parker is not the type of person to marry a woman he doesn't love completely.
#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen + Peter forever

#12 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@CM_Cameron said:
" @mewmdude77 said:
You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry. "
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @CM_Cameron said:
" @mewmdude77 said:
This. It's not so much that he loved Gwen more than MJ, his greatest desire is just that Gwen was never killed. He loves them both equally, just in different ways.   Peter Parker is not the type of person to marry a woman he doesn't love completely. "
Exactly that. I agree with both of you. 
=]
#13 Posted by Kairan1979 (16722 posts) - - Show Bio

I thinks comic books stated that he never was completely over Gwen Stacy.

#14 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11599 posts) - - Show Bio

bump
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

He loves both of them equally.

#16 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped reading Spider-Man after "One moment in day of..." no wait "Brand new moment..." anyway the retcon, so I don't know if it's been addressed after it but I got the impression that his feelings for Gwen Stacy now is the same feeling of guilt his has towards Uncle Ben.  He isn't still in love with her but she is one of the two biggest failures in his life and that's why she keeps creeping up, same as Uncle Ben.  Least that's the way I took it.

#17 Posted by UltraHeroix (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he loved them both but he feels more guilt over Gwen's death which is why she is on his mind often.

#18 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@ngroove said:

" I'd prefer you not to besmirch Mary Jane Watson (formely Parker)'s name, especially if part of the "asked him to stop being a hero" involves OMIT (which in my opinion, should had never happened).  "

she asked him to stop being a hero way before OMIT it was when she was working in hollywood, and Mattie Franklin was masquerading as spider-man
#19 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by Webhead_America (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen and Spidey forever, separating them is a difficult task even after death.

#21 Posted by GuruOfFunk (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he loves Mary Jane more but he has a sort of super deep connection with Gwen
#22 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (588 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it is a question of who he loves the most. Regardless of what some people might still dream of, but your one true love simply doesn't exist. There are more than a few people out there that you could love an equal amount. Peter fell in love with Gwen, and she died while he was trying to save her. She represents everything 'that could have been'. This is something we will all face at several moments in our lives; what if? It's human nature to wonder about the what if's. To Peter, the love between him and Gwen is the biggest 'what if?' there is.

This all doesn't mean he doesn't love Marry Jane to an equal amount as Gwen, but Gwen represents so much more for him: she's his first 'true' love, she's his biggest what if ( of course next to Uncle Ben ), etc. Her death represents everything that's wrong in the world. That's also the reason why Gwen can't ever come back, same as uncle Ben. Because their deaths have profound meaning.

Anyway, that's how I think of it.

#23 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio
@ShirEPanjshir said:

but Gwen represents so much more for him: she's his first 'true' love,

Yes, heard that time-and-again, I believe even on a few issues / official sources, but still; wondering; what was Betty Brant; chopped liver???

#24 Edited by darthfury78 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep. Everyone has a first love, followed by a true love. Not to mention, a mutual relationship that becomes, "Friends with benefits"!!!!

#25 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's just the fact he never had closure with Gwen. They could have gotten married and had kids or they could have broken up down the line, point is it's a "What could have been" thing. We've all had those events in our lives where we ask "What if I did something different?" for Pete that's Gwen. I know that Gwen'll be in the reboot but I really don't want them to kill her off in the first movie, that should be either 2nd or 3rd movie stuff.

#26 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. 

Which is, I think, very sad. 

Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this.  MJ and Peter need a split?  You don't need Mephisto for that.  He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep. 

On a lighter note, Ultimate Spiderman and "MJ loves Spiderman" Spiderman love MJ more. 

Whenever they show that MJ knew Peter was Spiderman, it does turn things on its head as well - does she love Peter, or does she love Spiderman?  Because although we might want to pretend they're the same guy, they're not.  If you love someone and they turn out to be your favorite super hero... cool beans!  If you love some super hero, and they turn out to be the nerdy fat girl from across the street who has always liked you, but you never felt the same way about... then it's pretty creepy.  Birdman's boss hitting on his own daughter creepy.

#27 Posted by nickzambuto (13327 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith said:

Yes. Which is, I think, very sad. Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this. MJ and Peter need a split? You don't need Mephisto for that. He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep.

THIS IS WHAT SHOULD OF HAPPENED

#28 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78 said:

Yep. Everyone has a first love, followed by a true love. Not to mention, a mutual relationship that becomes, "Friends with benefits"!!!!

#29 Edited by darthfury78 (793 posts) - - Show Bio
@HBKTimHBK: I have changed my mind about the " Friends with Benefits" situation regarding The Black Cat. We all know that Felicia has the hearts for Spidey. But when it comes to true love, she would never initiate a Friends with Benefits relationship with Spider-Man. I realized that Friends with Benefits pertains to two partners engage in love making but without the emotional attachment to one another. This is not the case with Felicia towards Spider-Man as she was hoping to revive their relationship. If her memories of Peter being Spider-Man are restored, Felicia would go after him with a vengeance. And she might have been very upset that he talked her into having a no strings attached relationship as she would WANT some string attached. It's apparent that she might have responsible for the break-up of Peter's relationship with Carlie Cooper through her bad luck powers because he dumped her for another woman. The clues were quite apparent when Peter and Carlie where in a relationship together. This goes to show that Spider-Man must never tell a woman with bad luck powers that his in a relationship with another woman. Otherwise, Felicia will jinx that relationship.   
#30 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@GuruOfFunk said:

I think he loves Mary Jane more but he has a sort of super deep connection with Gwen

This, and lovers guilt. Spider-Man Blue explains everything.

#31 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@labarith said:

Yes. Which is, I think, very sad. Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this. MJ and Peter need a split? You don't need Mephisto for that. He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep.

THIS IS WHAT SHOULD OF HAPPENED

YES!!!!!!!!!!

#32 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem was that Gwen and Peter's relationship was killed in its prime. Look, Gwen didn't have the greatest character development I admit, but she was his first love and represented an innocent romance.

MJ, I think is his true love though. She's what was needed to handle Peter's secret. She was emotionally-abled to handle it. I don't think Gwen could have handled the Spider-man girlfriend gig too well.

Emma Stone has said in interviews that MJ fell in love with Spider-man, but I don't think that so. MJ has frequently stated she didn't like Pete as Spider-Man because he was endangering himself.

#33 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Gwen is his greatest what if. The dream girl that got away and will always haunt him. It's basically why he build a life around her in HoM. 

But Mary Jane is his true love. 
#34 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Gwen's true love is Norman Osborn. She lost her flower to him to this handsome devil and they created beautiful genetically altered twins together....

JK. The storyline shits me even as an MJ supporter. I will never ever not get that image of Gwen and and Osborn in bed together out of my head.

#35 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17792 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle: LOL, i totally agree , it makes my spine crawl

#36 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

Well, Gwen's true love is Norman Osborn. She lost her flower to him to this handsome devil and they created beautiful genetically altered twins together....

JK. The storyline shits me even as an MJ supporter. I will never ever not get that image of Gwen and and Osborn in bed together out of my head.

why would you even remind me?

#37 Posted by Skyfire (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

MJ is his silver medal.

#39 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (2813 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say they're equal.

I.A.T.

#40 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@RogueOracle said:

Because I'm a horrible person:)

#41 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

Same. Don't know why it didn't for Gwen.

#42 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

I can tell by your username

#43 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

And your status as a detective proves so.

#44 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

And your status as a detective proves so.

merci

#45 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

MJ is his silver medal.

LOL This.

#46 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Same. Don't know why it didn't for Gwen.

She was in a bad place, she had run away from Peter to Paris, and she was depressed about her father dying, so Norman used that to advantage, and seduced her, just to hurt Peter. If she had been in her right mind, she never wouldn't have done it. It's pretty much a rape case, with roofies, but depression instead of the roofies.

#47 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8985 posts) - - Show Bio

In the ultimate universe Gwen is still alive and he ends up picking MJ before he dies.

#48 Posted by ben345 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

gwen is hotter

#49 Posted by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen is his greatest what if. The dream girl that got away and will always haunt him. It's basically why he build a life around her in HoM.

But Mary Jane is his true love.

#50 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time he confessed that he deeply loves Gwen, it later shows that he loves Mary Jane just as much or maybe even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.