Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

does anyone hate the fact that the 90's spider-man was a wimp?

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By grimreaper1980

i mean come on, he wasn't even at full strength in the cartoon, he could barely lift a volkswagon, when in the comics he perfromed feats like catching a car thrown at him by the beetle and lifting up a bus once, and he didn't have on the symbiote costume, and he also never punched or kicked to the face in the cartoon. now i understand that it was a kids show, but in spider-man unlimited and the spectacular spider-man he was as he should have been, what is up with that.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DH69

thats what bothers you about the 90's spider-man toon? what about the fact that they werent allowed to allude to death, or werent allowed to show people getting punched/kicked, or the fact that they couldnt show guns so they gave everyone lasers, or not allowed to show vampires biting people so they put a f***ing suction thingy on their hands,or them not allowing pigeons to be shown on roofs cause spidey might land on them, or how about and this is the most recent insult to my face that after 9/11 you americans became so b****y and whiney about everything that they went back and censored every shot of the world trade center in a cartoon that had been off the air for 4 years

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Highly overrated show. Aside from the original Venom episodes(The ones with Carnage were awful) its kind of ... bad.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

lol

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By G Bird

That show was (and still is) awesome, what the hell are you guys talking about?

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By grimreaper1980
    @DH69: what is with the you americans crap, you think i really give a shit about this country, than you need to think again. but all of those things you mentioned did bother me too
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spidey 15

Even if i don't want to admit it i'll do it...this show was bad...they made spide seem pathetic....but spectacular spidey was waaay cooler and better...=]

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Spec Spidey and MTV Spidey were much better. Yes, the MTV show had crappy villains, and the animation wasn't for everyone, but that show really kicked the censors in the throat. And it was genuinely funny at times. 

Anyway, back to the 90s Spider-Man. I got so sick of him throwing people rather than punching them, it just got annoying. Oh, and Carnage can't kill anyone. A guy named CARNAGE can't kill anyone. 
    But the most annoying thing? A guest every episode. This is Spider-Man, Marvel's definitive character, and apparently he can't hold 19 minutes of screen-time without a guest? Yeh, no. Fail. 

Still, the censors aren't as jarring as watching Wolverine bring out the claws only to, once again, throw people.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DH69
    @grimreaper1980 said:
    "@DH69: what is with the you americans crap, you think i really give a shit about this country, than you need to think again. but all of those things you mentioned did bother me too "

my apologies. wasnt refering directly to you but the site itself being run by a majority of americans
    RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RonSiconolfi

well- i think it has the best animation out of all the spidey cartoons and for its time it was great 

the spec spiderman waould be much better if it didnt have crappy animation and also if spiderman's head wasnt so HUGE...he looks like an alien 
    whiteangel911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whiteangel911

Why so suprised they picked Tobey to portray him. The whining became unbearable. Nuff said.
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @G Bird said:
    "That show was (and still is) awesome, what the hell are you guys talking about? "

Clearly the rest of these guys were too young to watch it when it was originally on :P 

You guys need to remember how long ago this came out. Yes, Spectacular Spider-man has better animation, but that's like saying Avatar has better effects than the original King Kong. Looking back on it, yes, of course it looks like crap. Especially with the ridiculous censors. But at the time, when it originally came out? It was the first decent Spider-man TV show. And seeing Spider-man on TV, hearing his villains come to life like that? Whenever I read Kingpin, I hear the voice from that show. Top notch voice work. It was an amazing show and, if it had never come about, you guys probably wouldn't have your precious Spectacular Spider-man or your bloody awful MTV Spider-man (seriously, I think it had worse animation than the 90's series. It was horribly bad). 

Don't diss the show that made me love Spider-man.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @-Eclipse- said:

" @G Bird said:

"That show was (and still is) awesome, what the hell are you guys talking about? "

Clearly the rest of these guys were too young to watch it when it was originally on :P 

You guys need to remember how long ago this came out. Yes, Spectacular Spider-man has better animation, but that's like saying Avatar has better effects than the original King Kong. Looking back on it, yes, of course it looks like crap. Especially with the ridiculous censors. But at the time, when it originally came out? It was the first decent Spider-man TV show. And seeing Spider-man on TV, hearing his villains come to life like that? Whenever I read Kingpin, I hear the voice from that show. Top notch voice work. It was an amazing show and, if it had never come about, you guys probably wouldn't have your precious Spectacular Spider-man or your bloody awful MTV Spider-man (seriously, I think it had worse animation than the 90's series. It was horribly bad). 

"
    How is us "young" people talking about the faults of the 90s Spidey any different to you insulting the MTV Spidey? By the way, the animation wasn't the issue here, it was the poor characterisation of Spider-Man as a self-pitying, whiney pain. Hey, I like the show too. Jennifer Hale's Black Cat is one of my favourite portrayals of a comic character ever. I think the voice work in the series was excellent as well, but seeing a show that was fundamentally flawed in many places as perfect is not a good way to look at things either. 

And as for your King Kong reference, King Kong is a far better film than Avatar, so the effects don't matter. Look at the Star Wars films for further evidence. 
    RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RonSiconolfi
    @-Eclipse- said:
    "@G Bird said:

"

yea if you consider stick figures better animation...also whats with spideys HUGE head? he looks like an alien for petes sake

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By -Eclipse-

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" How is us "young" people talking about the faults of the 90s Spidey any different to you insulting the MTV Spidey? By the way, the animation wasn't the issue here, it was the poor characterisation of Spider-Man as a self-pitying, whiney pain. Hey, I like the show too. Jennifer Hale's Black Cat is one of my favourite portrayals of a comic character ever. I think the voice work in the series was excellent as well, but seeing a show that was fundamentally flawed in many places as perfect is not a good way to look at things either.   And as for your King Kong reference, King Kong is a far better film than Avatar, so the effects don't matter. Look at the Star Wars films for further evidence.  "

Because I was around for the debut of both and watched both when they were originally on. Everything sucked from MTV Spidey, imo. Spectacular Spider-man is good, but I haven't seen much of it, since I'm only able to actually watch the show on Youtube and I honestly can't be bothered, lol. I haven't seen the show recently, but when was Spider-man whiney or self pitying? Some clips would be helpful, because it seems to me that ever since Tobey took the role, everyone has started to complain that webs is too whiney. 

Good stuff. And I think the guy who voiced Kingpin is a god, LOL... Sure, it had some flaws. Some major ones. But again, it was a different time back then, and those animated series were the best we had. Most shows were pretty crap back then, to be fair. Animated shows have moved on. They've got better animation and better storylines than the old ones. But that's obvious. People looked at what the old show did right and what it did wrong and made a better show. I simply don't see the point in complaining about a show that was on such a long time ago. Why does it even matter? Is it really relevant whether a show that hasn't been around for years was good or not? 

And my King Kong reference was directed specifically at the special effects end of the spectrum. I'm not debating the quality of either movie, having never actually watched the original King Kong myself, simply pointing out that Avatar has better effects :P 

@RonSiconolfi said:

"he looks like an alien for petes sake    "

Hehe... Pete... Nice pun xP

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By G Bird

^^^ Some people are just bound and determined to hate Spidey for some reason. I remember watching the old Spider-Man when I was young and it was cool, but now when I watch it I enjoy it even more! It has more of a comic book feel to it than Spectacular Spider-Man, but I do like both shows. Hell, I even get a kick out of Superhero Squad lol!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, necro thread. But I'll add my two bits.

Blade, the one from the movie... he started here. That's right, the half vampire with the old limping sidekick. He first appeared in this show.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will take Spider-Man:The Animated Series (94) any day over the wimpy man-child in ASM.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man TAS is the best Spidey cartoon there's ever been.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I will take Spider-Man:The Animated Series (94) any day over the wimpy man-child in ASM.

Yeah

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually loved it. to me he beat characters pretty easily. he was pretty good.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darthfury78

That was one of the reasons why I stopped reading ASM once it got to issue # 700 in late 2012. LOL

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: said

"That was one of the reasons why I stopped reading ASM once it got to issue # 700 in late 2012. LOL"

Same here, actually I stopped purchasing after #700 but still read them for free either at my LCS or I borrow my cousins' set just to keep up with how truly awful the writing is. ?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By darthfury78

@magnetic_eye said:

@darthfury78: said

"That was one of the reasons why I stopped reading ASM once it got to issue # 700 in late 2012. LOL"

Same here, actually I stopped purchasing after #700 but still read them for free either at my LCS or I borrow my cousins' set just to keep up with how truly awful the writing is. ?

IMO, Slott should have made Betty Brant and Jennifer Walters as part of Peter's supporting cast as their chemistry with Peter would not be as awful as bringing in Mary Jane, Carlie Cooper, and Felicia Hardy. I never understood what he had against putting Jennifer Walters(Human Form) in Peter's world as his Legal Adviser and close friend early on in his run on ASM. He could have had fun with reviving Betty as Peter's love interest once again. But to ruin both Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy just to piss off the readers is not good at all. The simple fact is if a writer doesn't like the character, use an alternate. I do miss Slott's run on the She-Hulk as he was doing well in that series. I wished that he applied Jennifer into Peter's social circle in her human guise as she and Betty Brant would get along as well as Felicia and Mary Jane had with their friendship.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.