Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17245 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Do you believe the explanation for why MJ was cut from TASM?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

So, we've known for a while now that Shailene Woodley was cut from the Amazing Spider-Man series. I know everyone associated with the movie has been saying, "it was too many characters, blah, blah, blah." And stuff like, "she's a great actress, blah, blah, blah."

Personally, I think she must've been bad. Doesn't it stand to reason that she'd be returning to the third film if it was just a matter of having too many characters? She was cut from the series, not just one film.

Also, I don't buy the whole scheduling conflict explanation either. If she was slated to play the main character's girl friend, it makes sense her schedule would be open. Furthermore, it's F'ing Spider-Man! These movies were probably going to bank her more money than anything else in her career.

I'm not really familiar with Shailene Woodley as an actress. Has she been good in any of her other movies? Just some initial thoughts after hearing more explanations from Comic Con.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

We will probably never know. I doubt they'll release that footage.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wait, so is MJ herself only appearing in one movie, or merely this actress?!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By reignmaker

@deaditegonzo said:

The actress for MJ was cut. There's no replacement until further notice. I assume we'll see MJ in the third or fourth film though. She's too important to leave out.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo said:

The actress for MJ was cut. There's no replacement until further notice. I assume we'll see MJ in the third film though. She's too important to leave out.

Seriously! Im not old enough to really like Gwen Stacy that much, MJ and Pete were, to me, the perfect relationship growing up and maybe my all time favourite Romance in Comics.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

bump

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Backflip

@deaditegonzo said:

The actress for MJ was cut. There's no replacement until further notice. I assume we'll see MJ in the third or fourth film though. She's too important to leave out.

No, the character was cut. Woodley is still contracted for Amazing Spider-man 3, unless I'm mistaken.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip: You're mistaken. The actress was cut from the series. The character was only cut from TASM 2.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I thought she was just cut so that Gwen Stacy be around longer.

I thought that was a good idea, as it naturally makes things a bit different from the previous series.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danhimself: @reignmaker: I literally just read that. So yeah it'd appear that in fact there is still a possibility she'll appear in No. 3. Heck, if they released an extended edition of Amazing Spidey 2, there is a chance she might show up still.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By reignmaker

@backflip: @danhimself:

I tried to find the original article that made me start this thread, but it appears Google swallowed it. The original piece I read said she wouldn't be back due to her scheduling for upcoming films. I thought it was officially a done deal, but it must have been just a comparison of her schedule with the expedited roll-out of Spider-Man films that were announced.

Still, when the director is saying he has no idea whether she'll be back or not, that tells me they don't feel like they really need her to make this thing work. I guess time will tell.

Shailene Woodley hints that she won’t be returning for ‘Amazing Spider-Man 3’

Marc Webb Says 'I Don't Know' On Shailene Woodley Returning In THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3

Shailene Woodley May Not Return as Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 3

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

It's a great idea if you ask me. In the first film, Gwen and Peter are flirtatious, and they don't really "date" more like, share a series of intimate moments, I'd like to see their relationship bloom more, then have her die at Osborn's hands (who maybe they can introduce in ASM 2, and he can become the Goblin and kill Gwen in ASM 3) and now, a grieving Peter hits the jackpot when MJ is introduced in ASM 4

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Maybe she indeed has been really bad as MJ and that's why they cut her.

BigTimeSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Webb is doing the right thing.

We don't want too many characters rushed into one movie.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yea i think webb didnt want to tke away from the story

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They probably got rid of her because the internet thought she wasn't hot enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.