Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Do you believe Slott when he said peter remain dead forever?

Avatar image for thegenericmister
    thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thegenericmister

I just know he would tell me to shut up if I asked directly. I miss Spider-mans quips damn it. I don't even mind the fact that Otto is Spider-man now why not have the best of both worlds by having peter comeback somehow without any of the one more day baggage from an alternate universe or some kinda jazz where he never married MJ. Then make Otto be a new character in the Spider-Man family like kaine. Its not like this can't happen this is the marvel universe after all.

So is pete dead as a doorknob? Or am I one of these invisible fans slott thinks don't exist and opinion doesn't matter because I don't fully like the direction of the book he is writing?

(FYI I don't hate slott like some here. I only want whats best for peter and otto as characters)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm sorry to say (actually not really) I am one of those haters, what he's done to the character in my opinion is abysmal.

but, to answer your question, Slott is a notorious troller and a tends to religiously throw out red herrings, he'll tell you one thing and mean something else. Sometimes he'll say something so much that you begin to believe it, but this could also be a case of, the more he say it, the more it might not be.

but heh..., I could be wrong, he could be on the level. Personally, I am leaning to towards Slotts trolling habits and Peter sticking around and eventually returning to full Spider-man duties.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just know he would tell me to shut up if I asked directly. I miss Spider-mans quips damn it. I don't even mind the fact that Otto is Spider-man now why not have the best of both worlds by having peter comeback somehow without any of the one more day baggage from an alternate universe or some kinda jazz where he never married MJ. Then make Otto be a new character in the Spider-Man family like kaine. Its not like this can't happen this is the marvel universe after all.

So is pete dead as a doorknob? Or am I one of these invisible fans slott thinks don't exist and opinion doesn't matter because I don't fully like the direction of the book he is writing?

(FYI I don't hate slott like some here. I only want whats best for peter and otto as characters)

I know what you mean, I'm one of those people.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I don't think that Peter Parker will be gone forever. Dan Slott won't be writing Spider Man for much longer and once another writer comes by, they will probably try to bring Peter Parker back to life. It's only a matter of time when that will happen.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 SC  Moderator

Slott will be bringing back Spider-man before he finishes up on the book probably. These things tend to be worked out in advance. This is also fiction, Spider-man isn't even really dead, he just isn't in his body. Fans doesn't like what is happening creatively, identify your complaint clearly, look for others who agree with you, hope its more than the people who don't agree with you, then make concerted effort to bring the change you desire. Thats the best way really.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it petty that writers would pick fights with fans that disagree with their decisions it makes them look petty and weak.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think if you're unwilling to let writers take a risk with a character, then you're not much of a comics fan of that character. This is different from being upset when a character is written against type, but Peter's behavior leading up to Superior Spider-Man was spot on, and the impact it's having on "Otto Parker" is interesting.

Remember, this storyline didn't do any of the following:

• Imply that his dead high school sweetheart was having an affair with the green goblin
    • Have Peter quit being Spider-Man because he's a "clone" so whatever Uncle Ben wasn't his real Uncle anyway
    • Have "mr. responsibility" sell his wife to the literal devil
    • Have his marriage dissolve because a fat man fell on top of him

These are bad storylines, but they're not bad because we don't like the new status quo they set up—in fact the post-BND/OMIT status quo has been very entertaining—but because they miss the core of the character. Superior Spider-Man hasn't done that.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When all the hype around SSM starts to fade away and sells start to drop, they'll bring Peter back.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Even back at NYCC, Dan Slott flat-out stated Peter Parker isn't gone forever.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah he'll come back. That being said I won't have a problem if he doesn't come back for a rather long time. They might bring him back in time for the next Spider-Man movie.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Strider1992

Of course he's not gone forever. Some other writer will take over when Slott leaves sometime in the future and he/she will undo it all eventually. Nothing is forever.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By PunyParker

No.I dont believe him.Otherwise,why have a ghost floating and bitching around about it's body?!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Of course he's not gone forever. Some other writer will take over when Slott leaves sometime in the future and he/she will undo it all eventually. Nothing is forever.

Ultimate Pete is dead....and i believe Bendis.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@strider92 said:

and when Bendis leaves?

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@strider92 said:

and when Bendis leaves?

That will never happen Ultimate Spider-man is his baby.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ninjablade09

@strider92: Not for like years when Miles is an adult and his biggest bad guy wants to trade bodies with him. Or if he is married and his mom gets shot and he sells him marriage to the devil.

Still sad though that BCC was postponed. Was going to see Mark Bagley. :(

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I liked his pre Superior stuff with Spider-Man but this current arc has been awful. Not as horrible of any of these stories

@fodigg said:
    • Imply that his dead high school sweetheart was having an affair with the green goblin
    • Have Peter quit being Spider-Man because he's a "clone" so whatever Uncle Ben wasn't his real Uncle anyway

but still bad all the same. It hasn't been executed right by Slott. Yost makes SpOck an entertaining character at least. But I wouldn't worry about Peter staying dead forever, This is comic books we're talking about. Peter will be back by next year at least, in time for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 since Marvel are much more influenced by their movies than DC. Not even Slott can keep Peter down forever. Slott'll bring him back and then things will be back to business as usual.

thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Slott has an ego the size of Manhattan. I just wish he would write the bloody stories without getting into an argument on twitter that he himself usually starts. Otto is Spider-Man. Fine I can deal with it. I just wish he would stop rubbing it in some fans faces...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegenericmister: (checks Twitter feed) Huh what do you know. He does get into a lot of arguments and block people. His ego is rather annoying to be honest like he knows what's best for Spider-Man rather than his legions of fans. Yeah good call there Slott giving us Peter Parker fans the finger.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I liked his pre Superior stuff with Spider-Man but this current arc has been awful. Not as horrible of any of these stories

@fodigg said:

but still bad all the same. It hasn't been executed right by Slott. Yost makes SpOck an entertaining character at least. But I wouldn't worry about Peter staying dead forever, This is comic books we're talking about. Peter will be back by next year at least, in time for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 since Marvel are much more influenced by their movies than DC. Not even Slott can keep Peter down forever. Slott'll bring him back and then things will be back to business as usual.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

BWAHAHAHA @thegenericmister:

A comic-book fan should already know that a character doesn't stay dead forever.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Wayne didn't stay dead in DC so I have 1,000,000% confidence that Peter Parker will be back. SpOck existing is clearly just story line, Peter will return and all will be well again in the world of Spider-Man.

But I had no idea that Slott was an egotistical arse, I'm new to Spider-Man (started reading in late 2011/early 2012) so Slott is the only writer I know (aside from Yost in Avenging). I thought his Spidey stories were pretty good but I also don't know what pre-OMD Spider-Man was like.

@strider92 said:

@punyparker said:

@strider92 said:

and when Bendis leaves?

That will never happen Ultimate Spider-man is his baby.

I thought the whole point of deaths in "Ultimate Comics" was for it to be permanent. To my knowledge everyone who died has stayed dead with the exception of the Magneto and Professor X cameos from last year.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Pretty sure Thor has died in the Ultimate universe and come back. Anyway SHIELD still has a clone of Peter Parker locked up somewhere.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tomchu

I can tell that if and when Slott leaves, Spidey Parker would come back, by magic, by some cosmic entity, or by some deal with the devil, Spidey Parker is coming back. You don't mess with the classics, unless its the Ultimate Universe.

Its the thought that Doc Ock wins is probably what bugs most fans. I wouldnt have minded as much if Spidey passed on the mantle to someone else, like they did the Ultimate. Then again, Ben Reily's takeover wasnt received as well as Marvel hoped it did.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott has an ego the size of Manhattan. I just wish he would write the bloody stories without getting into an argument on twitter that he himself usually starts. Otto is Spider-Man. Fine I can deal with it. I just wish he would stop rubbing it in some fans faces...

No wonder he can relate to Doc Ock more than the rest of us.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SC  Moderator

@thegenericmister said:

@lvenger: Slott has an ego the size of Manhattan. I just wish he would write the bloody stories without getting into an argument on twitter that he himself usually starts. Otto is Spider-Man. Fine I can deal with it. I just wish he would stop rubbing it in some fans faces...

@lvenger said:

@thegenericmister: (checks Twitter feed) Huh what do you know. He does get into a lot of arguments and block people. His ego is rather annoying to be honest like he knows what's best for Spider-Man rather than his legions of fans. Yeah good call there Slott giving us Peter Parker fans the finger.

Its probably all the death threats, threats of violence, threats to hurt his loved ones, kids, and so on, does it justify a writers rude behavior to nice fans? Absolutely not, but I mean even Gandhi had a temper and hit his wife, one thing all fans have to do is realize that actually some writers don't try and annoy all fans, and that all fans aren't some collective single unit. Some fans are scary. Seeing a writer go off on one fan? Doesn't mean he is trying to go off on all fans even if the reasons may apply to some fans. Writers are human, if they get one fan pestering them, they may take on an unfairly mocking tone that could extent to fans who share similar views to that fan but without the behavior that fan takes, and writers as humans will often take a mocking tone with a fan because of their behavior not their actual views, even if the writer mocks their views.

Until the writer starts threatening to kill fans? Yeah I am going to naturally extend my trust to them over all the anonymous fans out there who threaten to kill the writers. I agree he could handle genuine and sincere criticism better though if he gets into a lot of arguments. Not very productive.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: I guess you can chalk that up to him being a God? I dunno. I completely forgot about clone Parker, so yeah, he could "return" in a way.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@sc said:

Its probably all the death threats, threats of violence, threats to hurt his loved ones, kids, and so on, does it justify a writers rude behavior to nice fans? Absolutely not, but I mean even Gandhi had a temper and hit his wife, one thing all fans have to do is realize that actually some writers don't try and annoy all fans, and that all fans aren't some collective single unit. Some fans are scary. Seeing a writer go off on one fan? Doesn't mean he is trying to go off on all fans even if the reasons may apply to some fans. Writers are human, if they get one fan pestering them, they may take on an unfairly mocking tone that could extent to fans who share similar views to that fan but without the behavior that fan takes, and writers as humans will often take a mocking tone with a fan because of their behavior not their actual views, even if the writer mocks their views.

Until the writer starts threatening to kill fans? Yeah I am going to naturally extend my trust to them over all the anonymous fans out there who threaten to kill the writers. I agree he could handle genuine and sincere criticism better though if he gets into a lot of arguments. Not very productive.

A fair point and I can see why you raised it in relation to my own. The crazy fans who sent death threats to Slott are messed up and they had no right to do that to anyone, not even Slott. We fans can be quite horrible to writers we don't like. With all the negativity towards Slott, it isn't surprising that his fuse is shorter than usual. It's happened to many writers before and Slott isn't the first, nor will he be the last.

He really could handle productive criticism better though. That's my biggest concern with him. He's now ignoring all the constructive criticism of his work in favour for those who praise his writing like he's infallible. Rather egotistical if you ask me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By w0nd
    @strider92 said:

@arturocalakayvee: Pretty sure Thor has died in the Ultimate universe and come back. Anyway SHIELD still has a clone of Peter Parker locked up somewhere.

Yeah but that one clone is schizophrenic and stuck in the scorpion suit, like he only has 3 fingers, he is mutated beyond belief.The other is a girl, and the last one is missing half his face and was also crazy.. They are all so different it wouldn't even be the same "Peter Parker" they want back...unless they only care about the name and not how he acts.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Personally I think having one of those clones come back as a villain would be awesome. Ultimate Black Tarantula maybe?

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

No

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Lol no.

Peter will be back when the next movie comes.

BB

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah he'll be back. And he'll bring radioactive spider-blood induced vengeance upon Ock

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SC  Moderator

@lvenger said:

I quoted this part because I agree and respect the other parts, heh heh ^_^

Do you really think he thinks he considers himself infallible just for opting to be more open to kind words instead of anything that may come across as overly critical? I mean thats no rhetorical question, I have no idea how he conducts himself on Twitter heh heh - I just know writer and fan interactions well, and places like Twitter aren't exactly a good place for fans to give constructive criticism, some people tend to be naturally assertive and boisterous without necessarily thinking themselves infallible either. I mean to put it another way, Twitter and Formspring are not good places for fans to give constructive criticism. If a fan wants to do that then they should make a blog outlining their constructive criticism, and then link that to the writer or better yet if they are good at outlining why their criticism is valid and strong enough to warrant a writer, editor and company taking notice, then more fans should feel the same, enough fans with good arguments make companies change their decisions and plans. Has to be that combo. Praise with writers is different, it can be simple without seeming disrespectful. Another thing thats common with fans is that many think they are coming off respectful and polite but to onlookers they appear rude, so it can get a bit complicated, really the intent comes down to the writer and fans.

Anyway I think we are on the same page, but I just wanted to open up that consideration. Cheers.

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of cource they will bring peter back.... UNLESS THEY DECIDE TO MAKE A SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN MOVIE!!!!!! (then the rest of the world gasps in astonishment at the thought of it)

No Caption Provided

thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thegenericmister
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think Slott said that he loved Spider-Man at one point.

Since then, I do not believe anything he says.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

No.

Because he also said Peter could come back around the time ASM2 comes out.

And even then, if you really believe a superhero will stay dead...

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is crazy slott blocked me on twitter and ive never spoken to him a day in my life : P

Guess hes one of those celebs who search their name or related topics to see whos talking about them lol

thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@urbanchill: He is not a very approachable person on social media. He is meant to be fine in person from what I hear.

thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Of course not. Spider-man is a billion dollar franchise. Even if Dan Slott were anointed Pope of Spider-man and allowed to write the book until he couldn't stand it anymore, Peter Parker WOULD be back because Peter Parker IS Spider-man. He's an essential part of the character.

That and Dan Slott won't be writing Spider-man forever and sooner or later (odds are before issue 12) Peter Parker will be back.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't believe a thing he says.

Avatar image for jesseedwardsmith
    jesseedwardsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its BS if he does not bring peter back. parker is spiderman who is this slott guy anyway. I have been a fan of spidey's since I was a kid in the 70's as matter of fact I would like to say that I and people like me have a big say in it since if it wasn't for us none of the newer generation would even know about spidey. well all in all I think its more of a gimmick I wonder what stan lee would say if asked about it.slott whoever you are don't be stupid and kill off an icon like that there is no spiderman without parker its just some imposter trying to be the best comic character ever. we want web head back

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

No. I think this was just a way to reset Peter to post OMD status. Though I don't think Slott ever said forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.